HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Belak traded for Nick Tarnasky

Old
11-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
regarding the timing, i'm guessing that JM felt it needed to be done and if it could be done in time to get tarnasky here for tomorrow's *big* game (esp considering how shorthanded we are), it should be. it seems cold but, again, it's a business..
Agreed. It's not like Martin had bad intentions to screw Belak over by trading him on Thanksgiving Day.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:57 PM
hoax15

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great8Cam View Post
I don't know. The Preds board is pretty happy to get rid of this guy.
Tampa liked him. Change of scenery might be good?

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by johano90 View Post
I've always liked your posts and I agree with your desire for an enforcer, but I think you are overreacting quite a lot.

Let's face it, we don't need a guy to protect our skilled players, we aren't exactly loaded in that department. Granted Tarnasky may not scare anyone, but if he can run around and cause damage in the offensive zone, THAT is the type of player we need. In my opinion Chris Neil guys are much harder to play against than Belak or BGL. Plus, like Martin said, Tarnasky fits more into the system.

As for the Allen incident, sure, it was a dirty play and never should have happened. But these guys are professionals and should be able to move on.
Thanks, I'm just not happy with this move. I don't mind Tarnasky's tenacity, I just think it fits better when there's someone there to fight for him, like Roy did while they were in Tampa. He's not a very good fighter and he can't go with the heavies. I'd like to see us get a guy like Barch. Tarnasky, Stewart, and Barch would be a very energetic 4th line and Barch can go with some of the heavies.Chris Neil will make short work of Tarnasky.

I'm sure they'll be able to move on, still, I can't imagine allen initially likes this move. Guess it's good that he has plenty of time to adjust before lacing up.

11-27-2008, 11:30 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:09 AM
PanthersRule96

This is such an f-ed up team. If there was one incident in the past 3 years that really sticks out as a cheapshot, it was that Tarnasky play. That would be the one incident that really should trigger hate in the minds of the players. JM goes out and signs the one guy that these players really should hate based on what happened with Allen. Yes it's a business, but look at Avery in Dallas. He was having trouble fitting in since a lot of the players hated his antics before he was on the stars. Players were calling out each other and then you look at their record and see where they are. They're low down just like we are.
As bad as this team is, Belak at least provided a bit of morale boost. Bringing in Tarnasky could be pretty bad for the locker room. Who knows what will happen in the room? They're professionals and hopefully can deal with it, but if Jokinen can screw up a locker room, a guy like Tarnasky who has a bad history against us sure as hell can.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
This is such an f-ed up team. If there was one incident in the past 3 years that really sticks out as a cheapshot, it was that Tarnasky play. That would be the one incident that really should trigger hate in the minds of the players. JM goes out and signs the one guy that these players really should hate based on what happened with Allen. Yes it's a business, but look at Avery in Dallas. He was having trouble fitting in since a lot of the players hated his antics before he was on the stars. Players were calling out each other and then you look at their record and see where they are. They're low down just like we are.
As bad as this team is, Belak at least provided a bit of morale boost. Bringing in Tarnasky could be pretty bad for the locker room. Who knows what will happen in the room? They're professionals and hopefully can deal with it, but if Jokinen can screw up a locker room, a guy like Tarnasky who has a bad history against us sure as hell can.
Good post, especially with the Avery-Stars example. Not that he's the reason they're struggling, but he's apparently not helping.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by johano90 View Post
I've always liked your posts and I agree with your desire for an enforcer, but I think you are overreacting quite a lot.

Let's face it, we don't need a guy to protect our skilled players, we aren't exactly loaded in that department. Granted Tarnasky may not scare anyone, but if he can run around and cause damage in the offensive zone, THAT is the type of player we need. In my opinion Chris Neil guys are much harder to play against than Belak or BGL. Plus, like Martin said, Tarnasky fits more into the system.

As for the Allen incident, sure, it was a dirty play and never should have happened. But these guys are professionals and should be able to move on.
I'm with you Johano90. Agree that we need a Neil type, not Belak type player. We don't need a heavy, just someone who doesn't get embarrased when fighting guys like Janssens the way Monty did. Agitating, someone who plays on the limit of being dirty.

Allen is a big boy, I'm sure it's fine. If not, Allen can blame himself.

I'm not so sure Wade is thrilled about the opportunity to meet Boogeyman more often..

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 06:06 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Could there been a more stupider move than this? A guy everyone hates. I hope Allen knocks the lights out of Tarnasky.

This team needs scoring. A major shakeup. Sacrifise future (1-3 player now in nhl or futures). it's not like there gonna mount into anything here with this core around them.

Old
11-28-2008, 06:10 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

What makes me even madder is the fact JM is talking about Tarnasky as he's gonna turn this team around comments like "Tarnasky gives Peter the oppurutiny to roll 4 lines"

Old
11-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Ismellofhockey

Doesn't this fit in with the whole "cut $3M in payroll AND sign Bouwmeester" thing?
Martin put Belak on waivers and no one claimed him, that should give an indication as to his value, so maybe Martin just took whatever deal was offered as the only option.

The big return in this deal is the $800K saved IMO, I don't think Martin honestly believes he got something special in Tarnasky.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I understand what PDB is saying about rolling 4 lines. With Belak out there and only playing 4 minutes a night tops, he had to double shift guys to make up his spot on the 4th line. With Tarnasky, he won't have to do that.

I do agree that we don't really need a heavyweight, but I just don't like Tarnasky. If he comes in an agitates the **** out of other teams the way a guy like Janssen does, it will be a welcome addition.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:23 AM
harv3317

i have no problem with this. tarnasky is more of an agitator, which is what i like. if he fights too that's a plus and chip in a little scoring plus, plus.

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:28 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
The only thing I hear from the people who disagree with the trade is that they think Tarnkasy and Allen hate each other. How do any of you know that Tarnasky hasn't called him once before to appologize, or hasn't done it already now that he's a panther. Its been a year and one appology would be enough, especially if it was a good one.

If I was Tarnasky, that would have already been done.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:37 AM
harv3317

by the way, how's sprukts doing. i'd like to see him get a shot with the big club. he's big and can score and pass. times running out for him too and he really hasn't gotten a legitimate shot even though he looked good when called up!!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Madhatter73

This is great news....

I really like Wade as a person, but he obviously didn't fit in with DoBoer's system.

We now have an agitator. This guy will create distractions to the other team on the ice as well as giving DeBoer a way to spark the team other than his "Goalie Swap Attack".

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:28 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Good post, especially with the Avery-Stars example. Not that he's the reason they're struggling, but he's apparently not helping.
sorry, that's a bunch of crap. avery's a very special (head) case. tarnasky's just a pest.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:32 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
The only thing I hear from the people who disagree with the trade is that they think Tarnkasy and Allen hate each other. How do any of you know that Tarnasky hasn't called him once before to appologize, or hasn't done it already now that he's a panther. Its been a year and one appology would be enough, especially if it was a good one.

If I was Tarnasky, that would have already been done.
i think people don't understand. they take this stuff more personally than most of the players do. honestly.

tarnasky will probably go over to allen (i very much doubt he's called to apologize) the first time he sees him, shake his hand and say "no hard feelings" and that will be that. these guys are professionals and now teammates.

Old
11-28-2008, 10:35 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey View Post
Doesn't this fit in with the whole "cut $3M in payroll AND sign Bouwmeester" thing?
Martin put Belak on waivers and no one claimed him, that should give an indication as to his value, so maybe Martin just took whatever deal was offered as the only option.

The big return in this deal is the $800K saved IMO, I don't think Martin honestly believes he got something special in Tarnasky.
more important (and worth more than 800K) is finding a better fit for this team. you don't need to be special to have a greater impact than belak has had here (again, nothing against belak).

Old
11-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Two4Fighting

Agreed, Belak's impact was marginal at best.

Two4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
sorry, that's a bunch of crap. avery's a very special (head) case. tarnasky's just a pest.
Avery is a special case, I was just agreeing that he's not helping things and you don't know how things will work out here...yet. Hopefully Tarnasky will do well, but noone's afraid of him.

Imo, we should have picked up Janssen at last year's trade deadline. Most of us "hate" him, but that's in large part due to his owning us. He can agitate, fight many of the heavies (and actually win some of them), and is a human wrecking ball. That's the guy that would work best here, imo. I'll warm up to Tarnasky I'm sure, but he's not much of a fighter. At least we'll see some good checks between him, Ballard, McCabe, Stewie, Boynton, etc.

Old
11-28-2008, 11:23 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Avery is a special case, I was just agreeing that he's not helping things and you don't know how things will work out here...yet. Hopefully Tarnasky will do well, but noone's afraid of him.

Imo, we should have picked up Janssen at last year's trade deadline. Most of us "hate" him, but that's in large part due to his owning us. He can agitate, fight many of the heavies (and actually win some of them), and is a human wrecking ball. That's the guy that would work best here, imo. I'll warm up to Tarnasky I'm sure, but he's not much of a fighter. At least we'll see some good checks between him, Ballard, McCabe, Stewie, Boynton, etc.
yeah, i think that's the point. whether it's janssen or whoever, we needed someone who can get out there and mix things up. belak just couldn't do it. not sure tarnasky can but he can't be worse than belak.

Old
11-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
yeah, i think that's the point. whether it's janssen or whoever, we needed someone who can get out there and mix things up. belak just couldn't do it. not sure tarnasky can but he can't be worse than belak.
I understand that, he wasn't much of a skater and was really only a heavyweight fighter, but we're going to miss that ability. Janssen can do that, and do it well.

Old
11-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
i think people don't understand. they take this stuff more personally than most of the players do. honestly.

tarnasky will probably go over to allen (i very much doubt he's called to apologize) the first time he sees him, shake his hand and say "no hard feelings" and that will be that. these guys are professionals and now teammates.
Yeah, and if all that doesn't do it, they'll just have drop the gloves in practice... next year of course.

And in all actuality, the refs were to blame more than Tarnasky.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Edit:

I'd like Martin to somehow move Bouw and Tarnasky and bring in Boyes and Janssen.

Last edited by Laus723: 11-28-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old
11-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Laus723
Future Now

http://panthers.nhl.tv/team/console....id=26740&tab=0

They all say it after a trade, but Nasty sounds like he's actually happy to be here. Looks like he'll play tonight, was at practice.