HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Draft Thread

Old
02-20-2009, 12:04 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Yep, so many things working against that pick.
1) Last year JR flat out came out and said that he does not like drafting defensemen in the first round as they often take a long time to develop and once they're really hitting their stride they're set to become UFAs. He may have broken that last year with Teubert but common thought at the time was that Teubert was the best player on the board. Glad they went with Boychuk though.

2) Despres is NOT the best player on the board at that point. That would be Drew Shore. Hell Despres might not even be the best defenseman on the board at that point, I like Moore from the USHL over him rather easily.

3) When all things are equal the Canes will draft need. With Despres NOT clearly better then the forwards on the board at that point. What the hell would make THN think the Canes could use a d-man when they have Gleason, Pitkanen, McBain, Babchuk, Carson, Rodney, Borer, Lawson, Jordan and Bellemore all looking solid and all looking like they could be here for a while to begin with?

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Cardiac_Canes

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Good article on Landon Ferraro, a definite candidate for being drafted by us in the first round.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...andon_ferraro/

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 09:25 AM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

My how things change in the course of a few months. Now, prospects we thought we would have a chance at will likely be well out of our range.

Here are a few mock draft picks from NHL.com (the first three had the Hurricanes projected at pick #22 while the last two had them projected at pick #23):

Adam Kimelman: Nazem Kadri, C, London (OHL)
SKINNY: Needs to develop more physically, but offensive gifts are plentiful.

Brad Holland: Zach Budish, RW, Edina High (HS-Minn.)
SKINNY: Season-ending injury for Budish means Canes may have superstar sleeper on their hands.

Shawn P. Roarke: Peter Holland, C, Guelph (OHL)
SKINNY: Compared -- perhaps unfairly -- to Eric Staal. Size, good hands and net presence.

Eastern Conference Scout: Peter Holland, C, Guelph (OHL)
SKINNY: A big, young center.

Western Conference Scout: Ryan O'Reilly, C, Erie (OHL)
SKINNY: Two-way, gritty centerman makes the Hurricanes' future look even brighter.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:05 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Imo, we need RW.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:07 PM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Imo, we need RW.
Not to mention another guy named Zach.

04-20-2009, 01:43 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Further investigating shows that the season-ending injury Budish suffered occurred while playing football as he also plays inside linebacker for his high school football team. Wonder if that physicality carries over onto the ice?

Old
04-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
Adam Kimelman: Nazem Kadri, C, London (OHL)
SKINNY: Needs to develop more physically, but offensive gifts are plentiful.
No way Kadri falls that far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
Further investigating shows that the season-ending injury Budish suffered occurred while playing football as he also plays inside linebacker for his high school football team. Wonder if that physicality carries over onto the ice?
Budish is a very physical player and he's great in the corners from what I've heard. Not the fastest skater but he's got great size. 6-4 225lbs. Most scouts think he'll fall to the 2nd round because he's out 4 months with a torn acl but I'm not sure if we'd still take a chance on him. It's a high risk/high reward kind of thing which isn't our thing really. He's got great hands and is a pretty good passer. If there was some way we could grab him in the second I'd be all for it. Don't think there's a chance in hell we look at him in the first, though.

Old
04-20-2009, 02:34 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

I love Budish and the style he plays. He's probably the second best pure power forward in the draft after Kassian, and may in fact be better. He'd likely be a top 20 projected player if he didn't have his knee injury and as is I think he would be worth the risk. But we won't go for that.

I'd be ok with Holland. He doesn't do anything that really stands out to me, but that's not necessarily a bad thing either. Kadri I would like to see but frankly he won't be there in the early 20s.

I still think if Ferraro is there he's our pick. But I wouldn't be shocked to see us take Jeremy Morin if he's not. They're two very similar players. Both are fast, neither is overly big, and both have hands that are arguably among the top 3 in the draft this year.

Here's the mock I just finished:
1) C/RW Landon Ferraro (6'0,170) - Red Deer Rebels (WHL)
2) RW Alex Chiasson (6'3, 182) - Des Moines Buccaneers (USHL)
3) D Collin Bowman (6'2, 185) - Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
4) LW Andrei Kuchin (5'9, 180) - Vityaz Chekhov (KHL)
6) D Beau Schmitz (5'10, 185) - Plymouth Whalers (OHL)
7) G Alex Vazzano (6'2, 190) - The Gunnary (USHS, CT)

I nearly took Brody Sutter with that last pick but decided against it. Also was looking at Phillip Samuelsson in the 6th but he went late 5th.

Last edited by DaveG: 04-20-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old
04-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Cardiac_Canes

If we could ever pull off that draft in real life it would be ridiculous. But there's a reason it's a mock. Looks like you had a lot of conservative people or idiots in the mock if Kuchin lasted that late

Old
04-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Fumble

Budish is the guy we should draft... but high-risk and stupid picks arn't the Canes style anymore.
We'll take a safe pick like Holland or Bowman.

Fumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 03:23 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

A lot of conservative people, although from the sounds of it when I made the pick a lot of people were targeting him and Ostapchuk in the 4th. They went back to back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumble View Post
Budish is the guy we should draft... but high-risk and stupid picks arn't the Canes style anymore.
Bowman most likely won't go that high. Now if he's there in the 2nd when we pick I expect us to draft him.

Old
04-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumble View Post
Bowman in the first isn't safe, it's stupid. No way that happens.

Old
04-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Fumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Bowman in the first isn't safe, it's stupid. No way that happens.
Sry, was looking at Bowman's profile when typing my message.
Meant to say we'll probably play it safe and take Holland or Ferraro.

Bowan definately isn't a 1st rounder, and especially not with the Canes considering JR won't take a D-man in the 1st round.

Fumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I hate the idea of Kassian, but love the idea of Budish. I will also go on record as saying that I don't think either will be available where we select. Budish has the potential for a team to fall in love with him and slot him pretty darn high. Shades of Blake Wheeler, but certainly not in the first 10 picks.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Scorvo

Personally I want either Holland or Ferraro. I wouldn't mind trading back and picking up another second.

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 03:37 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I'd be ecstatic with landing Ferraro with all I've seen of him and read about him. We need another 30-40 goal scorer which he has the potential to do. He also has great wheels, isn't afraid to drop the gloves or dish out a hit, so that's some other part of his game I like.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post
I'd be ecstatic with landing Ferraro with all I've seen of him and read about him. We need another 30-40 goal scorer which he has the potential to do. He also has great wheels, isn't afraid to drop the gloves or dish out a hit, so that's some other part of his game I like.
I'm not sure about 30-40 goal potential out of Ferraro but he's a very good two-way player. That just seems a little high.

Old
04-21-2009, 04:42 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Our next legendary hell of line - Boychuk - Sutter - Ferarro. Seems good! We have a deal .

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 04:56 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
I'm not sure about 30-40 goal potential out of Ferraro but he's a very good two-way player. That just seems a little high.
I don't know, he did put up 37 on a pretty crap Red Deer team this season as a 17 year old. I don't think saying he has 30-40 goal potential in the NHL is stretching it. Potential being the keyword.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:51 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

I agree. A lot of people look for raw totals (not saying cardiac is) but one of the things I've been working on is trying to put some analytics with some of my draft evaluations if I think I might be overvaluing or undervaluing a guy. Ferraro is going to fit into that undervalued category because of his limited scoring this year. But he led Red Deer by over 30% in scoring. My guess is at the NHL level he probably has Justin Williams type upside: 35-35, good two-way player and very good skating.

Old
05-01-2009, 03:17 AM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
I'm high on Budish. He'll be the first round steal this draft. Budish was supposed to be a top ten pick. He's a winger and a big physical player that will could fill the spot that Cole once had (We are getting rid of his ass aren't we?). Even if we do keep Cole for cheap, the addition of Budish will really increase our physical presence.

Now we are a bit weak on the defensive size but considering all the players in our draft range, Budish seems to have the highest ceiling. Also, with guys like Sutter, Boychuk, Dalpe and Bowman in our system, who's to say we don't ship some of them off for a defenseman and keep our best of our prospects. Gleason, Babchuk, Pitkanen, Borer and Carson are all young and still have room for them to improve (Especially Pitkanen and Babchuk). Plus, Michal Jordan has shown signs that he might be a late round steal and hopefully McBain continues develop. Also, keep in mind if Murphy continues to develop into a Tim Thomas and maybe a legit starting goaltender, we can send either him off for some defense (Not like we have the salary to have two starting netminders).

So, I can only dream that JR picks up Budish. He's right in our pick range (Assuming we don't get to the SCF). He won't be waiting for us when our second round Calgary pick comes along so we're better off taking the high risk deal and selecting defensive prospects with the majority of our other picks. Hopefully JR will find some late round steals in this draft.

Last edited by NobodysFaulkButMine: 05-01-2009 at 03:24 AM.
NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 04:06 AM
semin4captain

We Should Draft Tanabe.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 03:37 AM
Tank King Jimmy
DO LESS BETTER

vCash: 813
It just hit me that the lowest Carolina be able to draft is 27th. A far cry from where we thought it would be not too long ago. man, a couple months can change everything...

Tank King Jimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 08:51 AM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarosefortheHart View Post
It just hit me that the lowest Carolina be able to draft is 27th. A far cry from where we thought it would be not too long ago. man, a couple months can change everything...
Also, every additional day we are involved in the playoffs is one less off-day until the draft and free agency. At this point, we're just a little over a month away.

As for the draft, hopefully our potential draft position will drop a few more positions in the next few weeks. Where we currently stand, Central Scouting has Drew Shore as the 28th overall skater in the latest rankings. He's a 6'3" center from the U-18 USDP, and in 53 games-played he recorded 14 goals and 23 assists.

Old
06-02-2009, 02:09 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Just a quick update. I'm working on my draft rankings as we speak and should have something up by the end of the week. Again this year I'll do things a bit differently from most because I believe it's impossible to truly rank goaltenders among skaters with any kind of accuracy. So it will break down into top 50 skaters, top 10 sleepers and top 5 goaltenders for this years draft. I've been working on a statistical analysis model that I will post the results of along with the draft rankings to see which holds up to the true scrutiny over the next few years.

The 2 round mock may take a bit longer as I have to do a bit more research into individual team needs and the like. I have a pretty good idea of what direction I'll have teams like ourselves, Buffalo, the Islanders, Colorado and Atlanta going in. Teams without so many organizational needs I'll have to do a bit more research into, most will simply go BPA but who exactly is BPA or who an individual team is "high on" remains to be seen.