HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

2009 Draft Thread

Old
06-03-2009, 07:46 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

vCash: 500
What do you think for Carl Klingberg?

Imo, one of Budish, Klingberg or Shore should be our first pick. Morin and Carter Ashton is good pick too.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I really don't like Carter Ashton with the way he played in the 2nd half of the season. Once they picked up Kyle Beach, he went ghost man totally. He's too streaky.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Why do people still think we'd take a European in the first? Not gonna happen. We play it way too safe.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Why do people still think we'd take a European in the first? Not gonna happen. We play it way too safe.
Considering our foreign picks in the last decade have been Igor Knyazev (15th overall), Jakub Vojta (94th overall), Ondrej Otcenas (123rd overall), Risto Korhonen (159th overall), Magnus Akerlund (137th overall), Niclas Wallin (97th overall), Magnus Kahnberg (217th overall), and Antti Jokela (237th overall) ..... I would rather they actually draft the players they've scouted.

Old
06-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Considering our foreign picks in the last decade have been Igor Knyazev (15th overall), Jakub Vojta (94th overall), Ondrej Otcenas (123rd overall), Risto Korhonen (159th overall), Magnus Akerlund (137th overall), Niclas Wallin (97th overall), Magnus Kahnberg (217th overall), and Antti Jokela (237th overall) ..... I would rather they actually draft the players they've scouted.
Are we really that cheap that we can't fly some of our scouts overseas a few times a year? We're missing out on a huge chunk of talent by not drafting Europeans. Our scouts are doing a good job the last few years by the looks of it but I can only imagine what our prospect pool would look like if they had a little more freedom in their selections.

Last edited by Cardiac_Canes: 06-03-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old
06-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Are we really that cheap that we can't fly some of our scouts overseas a few times a year? We're missing out on a huge chunk of talent by not drafting Europeans. Our scouts are doing a good job the last few years by the looks of it but I can only imagine what our prospect pool would look like if they had a little more freedom in their selections.
I think the problem, more than the ability to fly somebody out, is the fact that we'd have to have a European Scout on retainer. What I don't understand, however, is why more scouts don't do freelance work for teams as opposed to being staffed the entire season. Say, a fee of $50k to work a draft for a specific team and have them under contract to you as an exclusive asset for the duration of the draft. Scouting is a really intensive process. You have to watch a player multiple times, talk to his coaches, talk to the kid himself.... it's just a lot of work for one person to do.

I made a promise that I wouldn't complain about our drafting only North American kids provided we drafted well and in the past few years we have, so it's a non-issue to me currently. Finding a kid like Drayson Bowman in the 3rd round was a coup. For the first time in a long while, it seems like almost everybody we draft has a chance to be productive.

Old
06-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Scorvo

I wouldn't be shocked if we took a European player in this draft. Didn't we add Robert Kron as a European scout?

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 12:15 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I know we should go BPA in the first but I think we need to go with BPA with size/physical edge to his game.

Budish, Ferraro, Glennie, or Shore are who I'm hoping for.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 12:00 PM
clementnorman

ferraro is tiny(165) and probably will be off the board at 27. he's ranked 18th NA skater, with probaly 3-5 euro guys ahead of him. so hes probably around 22.

clementnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 04:39 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post

Imo, one of Budish, Klingberg or Shore should be our first pick. Morin and Carter Ashton is good pick too.
Exactly what I'm thinking. These kids can skate, score and will never shy away from a big hit. Worse come to worse I think they'll make good bottom six players that can lay guys out while putting up 30-40 points. Both of these guys are hugely underrated and I'm sure we'll see their stocks steadily rise over the next couple seasons. I doubt Shore drops to us, but even if he does, he's not as physical as Budish or Klingberg. I see a higher ceiling for the two latter but both have a higher risk involved when they're drafted IMO. Shore comes off as a 50 point guy in his prime that will play a two way game. I rather go for a more explosive talent in Budish and Klingberg but Shore seems like a JR pick to me. This will be a very interesting draft.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 06:25 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:

If we're going to break our trend of Euro drafting this year he's the one guy in the first round that I would realistically consider. I think Budish may have the higher upside but Klingberg is a safer pick due to Budish's knee problem last year.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 06:31 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I think the problem, more than the ability to fly somebody out, is the fact that we'd have to have a European Scout on retainer. What I don't understand, however, is why more scouts don't do freelance work for teams as opposed to being staffed the entire season. Say, a fee of $50k to work a draft for a specific team and have them under contract to you as an exclusive asset for the duration of the draft. Scouting is a really intensive process. You have to watch a player multiple times, talk to his coaches, talk to the kid himself.... it's just a lot of work for one person to do.
Technically, that's what happens to a lot of scouts- they get signed for one year, management maybe changes, then they go elsewhere. I've known a couple scouts to go Team A-Team B-Team A over the course of three years.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Technically, that's what happens to a lot of scouts- they get signed for one year, management maybe changes, then they go elsewhere. I've known a couple scouts to go Team A-Team B-Team A over the course of three years.
Thanks, I didn't know that. I would imagine it's kind of a touchy subject regarding loyalty in the scouting community. They're dealing with some pretty precious information and giving one team special details that you don't give another could really come back on you. I haven't talked to a TON of scouts in my time, but most of the scouts that i've seen have been very tight lipped with their evaluations and give you basic information you could find in a google search. I wouldn't expect them to blab profusely about a player, but it's still a very quiet game.

Old
06-04-2009, 08:45 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

At round two or three, i think we should pick Colin Bowman. He's not one of these defenceman who is 100 % superstar on junior level but i think he'll be good fit in our team after three or four season. This guy will be good player but needs to work very hard.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 09:07 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
At round two or three, i think we should pick Colin Bowman. He's not one of these defenceman who is 100 % superstar on junior level but i think he'll be good fit in our team after three or four season. This guy will be good player but needs to work very hard.
He's one of the players I've been high on all season long and I seem to be one of the only ones to have that be the case. I'll be honest that bloodlines play a significant part as we know we have a very very good player already in his brother. But overall I just like the game that Colin plays.

He's not exceptional at anything, which has him projected as a 3rd rounder right now, but he's good at prettymuch everything, although he doesn't have much of a shot. A bit of detraction towards the kid is that he was part of a very very good defense, however I think that's part of the benefit for him. He was a +32 in the season and a +6 in the playoffs. I honestly think on a lot of WHL teams he'd be a top 2 defenseman, but his team is frankly loaded in regards to defensemen. Myers, Bowman, Tyson Barrie with Tysen Dowzak as an overager.

I don't expect a similar developmental path for Colin as we saw with his brother. Drayson had the best hand-eye coordination testing scores in his draft, but just was not productive for whatever reason. I haven't seen anything like that for Colin but he's a stay-at-home defenseman anyway. Best thing about him is that he plays a very cerebral game from everything I've seen of him. I like him as a potential top 4 down the road playing the Glen Wesley type role. I don't think we would see him sniff the NHL for about 4 or 5 years if we do draft him, unlike Drayson who many think could play next year, but Colin will be worth the wait.

Old
06-05-2009, 01:57 PM
GoCanes2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorvo View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if we took a European player in this draft. Didn't we add Robert Kron as a European scout?
We did.

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 08:32 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

The first part of this draft is kindof divided into three tiers: 1 through 2, 3 through 7 and 8 through the rest of the top 16 or so. Personally I have that 2nd tier as 3 through 8 with Schroeder right in the mix, but a lot of people don't and that's ok. I still say whoever lands him will be getting a steal and will likely.

Statistical analysis will be added once I have posted all picks. It may lead to the order being slightly modified but this is generally the base I'm working with.

1) C John Tavares - London, OHL. 6'0, 198. 56GP, 58G, 46A, 104PTS
This kid has been hyped for longer the Crosby was heading into his draft. I honestly think that has hurt him a good bit having the microscope on him for so long. That said, he's not a Crosby type talent. Tavares is more of a pure sniper then he is a playmaker and doesn't posess either great skating or defensive ability, albeit both are better then some people make them out to be. His production is down a bit the past couple years but he's also been focused on rounding out his game. Frankly he was ready for the AHL last year and likely would have been my #1 pick over Stamkos in the last NHL draft had he been available. Projects to be a Mike Bossy type player in the NHL. I honestly think he projects far better as a winger then as a center at the NHL level. Projected Pick: Near-consensus #1 overall

2) D Victor Hedman - MoDo, SWE. 6'7 225. 43GP, 7G, 14A, 21PTS
Safe to say this kid is the most hyped defensive prospect since Bouwmeester if not Pronger, with even more hype heading his way then Erik and Jack Johnson. How much of that exactly is due to the nationalistic tendencies of the Swedish media and posters on prospect sites like HF (especially when compared to their American counterparts) and just a general desire by people to have someone take some of the attention away from Tavares. That said, he has lived up to all expectations at most every turn, with the one possible exception being the past WJC. However it is rumored that he was playing injured and he still put in a strong performance. He's a total package defenseman with great skating, a big body and great offensive instincts from the back end. He's far more of a 1b this year then a #2 type pick, another franchise talent. There really is no comparison for the kid that I can ever remember in NHL history, the closest might be a softer but much better skating and smarter Zdeno Chara. Projected Pick: #2

3) D Jared Cowen - Spokane, WHL. 6'5, 215. 48GP, 7G, 14A, 21PTS
This is where I differ from most everyone else in terms of rankings. Frankly if he wasn't injured this year we would be talking about a "Big 3" in the draft rather then a "Big 2". Another complete package defenseman, although his skating has never been a strong point it's also not a real weakness either. The real concern is his knee injury that cost him the end of the season, the WHL playoffs and a possible back-to-back Memorial Cup. He has a big shot from the point, good offensive creativity and is very strong in the back end for his age. With all reports being that his recovery is going well I see no reason to not rank him among this draft's elite. He projects to be a cleaner version of Chris Pronger at the NHL level. Projected Pick: 5 through 10 overall.

4) C Matt Duchene - Brampton, OHL. 5'11, 198. 57GP, 37G, 42A, 79PTS
The best comparison I would have for him is Stamkos from last year, albeit I don't think Duchene is quite as talented. Great skater, with a very strong all-around offensive game and an underrated defensive game. I personally see him as a strong talent but not an outright dynamic one the same as a Patrick Kane type player. Not sure whether or not he will prove to be a franchise player, but IMO he's the most NHL ready palyer in the draft other then Tavares. He already has a very mature frame and a game that will translate well to the NHL level. Projected Pick: #3

5) C Evander Kane - Vancouver, WHL. 6'1, 176. 61GP, 48G, 48A, 96PTS
One of the darlings of this past WJC, Kane has a powerforwards mentality in a still growing frame and tends to play bigger then his size. He likely needs at least another year of development in the WHL before he makes the jump to the pro ranks, not so much for his game but for his body with the style of play he employs. Whether the team that drafts him gives it to him is another matter entirely. He already posesses very strong skating ability, a strong two-way game, a good scoring touch and good playmaking ability. But his style of play likely will not translate too well at the NHL level until he goes from being mid 170s to mid 190s. Comparison: Peter Forsberg, hopefully without the diving. Projected Pick: #4

6) LW Margnus Svensson-Paajarvi - Timra, SWE. 6'1, 200. 50GP, 7G, 10A, 17PTS
Already playing in a mens league, MSP is one of the more intriguing prospects in this draft. He has explosive speed and very strong offensive instincts. He's basically your prototypical Swedish winger. I'd say he compares closely to a Mats Naslund type player, I really can't think of a better modern equivalent. Projected Pick: 5 through 7

7) C Brayden Schenn - Brandon, WHL. 6'0, 198. 70GP, 32G, 56A, 88PTS
Easily the most complete forward in the "Big 7" of this years draft. He had a lot of hype heading into this season due to the name much like Jordan Staal did heading into the 06 draft. To some it may have hurt the preceptions of Brayden as a player but his is a completely different player then Luke, playing a completely different position. He has good skating, good shooting ability, great playmaking and a great two-way game. Comparison: Mike Richards. Projected Pick: 5 through 7

8) RW Jordan Schroeder - Minnesota, WCHA. 5'8, 175. 35GP, 13G, 32A, 45PTS
Say what you will about his size, but Schroeder has the talent to be right there with the 7 right in front of him in this draft. He may be an even stronger prospect then all outside of the top 3, but he won't go nearly that high in the draft. Offensively this guy can do it all, defensively he's much better then expected out of a player like him, he has great hands and can beat defensemen in a variety of ways with his skating and his stickhandling. For the most part he is a physically mature player and I honestly believe that he will be ready for the next level as soon as next season. I'd say he compares well to an Ales Hemsky type player. Projected Pick: 8 through 12

9) D John Moore - Chicago, USHL. 6'2, 189. 57GP, 14G, 25A, 39PTS
I honestly believe he could prove to be the best defenseman in the draft outside the top 2. His skating may be his biggest asset, but he is also very creative in the offensive zone with a huge shot and very strong passing ability. He could afford to work on his defensive zone coverage a bit and add a bit more nastiness to his game, but that should come with time. As long as the team that drafts him doesn't rush him he could compare nicely to Dennis Wideman. If he is rushed? shades of Tanabe. Projected Pick: 10 through 15

10) D Oliver Ekman-Larsson - Leksand, SWE. 6'2, 176. 39GP, 3G, 14A, 17PTS
A complete package type defenseman that plays a very cerebral game. He combines that with solid skating ability and a good first pass out of the zone. It's hard to say who I would compare him to as I have only seen him play in a couple videos, not the best for generating a good scouting report. I have heard some scouts are talking highly of him as a Lidstrom type defenseman. Projected Pick: 8 through 12

11) D Dmitri Kulikov - Drummondville, QMJHL. 6'1, 183. 52GP, 12G, 50A, 62PTS
Go figure, the best QMJHL project in the draft is a Russian import. Defensively he plays a good positional game using his skating to his advantage although he isn't overly physical. Offensively he has exceptional passing instincts and a good shot. He can run the point on a powerplay at a very high level and doesn't seem to get phased in the least by taking big hits. He has a solid cerebral game playing mostly defense first but with a great knowledge of when to join the rush. If he can add about 10 more pounds of muscle to his frame this offseason he could concievably make the NHL right out of the draft. Compares nicely to Joni Pitkanen. Projected Pick: 8 through 12

12) C Nazem Kadri - London, OHL. 6'0, 167. 56GP, 25G, 53A, 78PTS
He has a very high skill level but lacks great body size to truly be elite. He has great speed on the wing and could project better at the NHL level as a winger then as a centerman. Great stickhandling ability and playmaking, but he could really afford to work on his shot a good bit before making the next step in his career. He compares his game to Lecavalier, but I see a lot more Spezza in it then Vinny. Projected Pick: 10 through 15

13) D Ryan Ellis - Windsor, OHL. 5'9, 173. 57GP, 22G, 67A, 89PTS
Simply put this is the single best offensive defenseman prospect I have ever seen since I've following the draft. Better then Ryan Whitney, better then Joni Pitkanen, better then Mike Green. The problem is his size. He's not afraid of getting hit and won't get intimidated, but he looks far more like someones kid brother out there playing hockey then he does an NHL prospect. His frame actually isn't too bad, although he could afford to get stronger so that he can play a more effective defensive game and in this regard alone I don't think he'll be NHL ready for a couple more seasons. He's defensively aware and you can tell he has really worked on that aspect of his game, although I doubt it will ever be a true strongpoint due to his size. His shot is elite, he finds a way to get it through even strength and on the powerplay leading to a lot of assists generated by others picking up the garbage. He has good passing ability as well and is easily capable of running the point on the PP. He has good skating which he put on display at the WJCs this past year. I'd compare him to a Phil Housley with defensive sense. Projected pick: 10 through 20

14) RW Scott Glennie - Brandon, WHL. 6'1, 177. 55GP, 28G, 42A, 70PTS
Very strong offensive player that can do damage in a lot of different ways. He plays a power game at the junior level so he may not be ready for a couple years until he can bulk up by another 20lbs or so. He was miscast earlier this year as strictly a sniper but ended up showing very good playmaking ability. He does have a good shot however and could be an annual 30+ goal guy at the NHL level. He compares closely to Jonathan Toews IMO, although I'm not sure he's as good defensively. Projected pick: 12 through 16

15) RW Zack Kassian - Peterborough, OHL. 6'3, 210. 61GP, 24G, 39A, 63PTS
A power forward in every sense of the word, but also one with a brain rather then one prone to making the emotion-based play along the lines of a Kyle Beach. To say the least Kassian has a mean streak and he isn't afraid to drop the gloves, in fact a lot of the heavies at the OHL level are afraid to drop the gloves with him. He has great passing ability for a guy that plays his style of game, although his finishing ability could use some work. He could also afford to improve his skating ability a good bit. He has a great work ethic, an NHL ready body and could make a team as soon as next season, although IMO a team would be well advised to let him stay in the OHL for one more year to work on his shot. It's most definitely important to note that a lot of criticisms have come up about him of late. There is speculation that he may not actually be all that talented and could have a very limited upside. The whole Hugh Jessiman thing from back in 03 comes immediately to mind in that regard. Some guys like Ferraro and Ashton are likely safer prospects but it's the potential top end that puts Kassian in my top 15 over them. Player comparison: a bigger, meaner Adam Deadmarsh. Projected Pick: 12 through 20

16) C/RW Landon Ferraro - Red Deer, WHL. 5'11, 165. 68GP, 37G, 18A, 55PTS
Son of Ray "Chicken Parm" Ferraro so the bloodlines factor is in effect. Not the biggest or strongest player in the draft, but he could very well be the fastest. He also possesses what could easily be a top 3 set of hands in the entire draft. Defensively he's far more sound then many might believe. What he lacks is elite production, and the question is just how good would he be with a better team around him. That combined with his lack of size are reasons he could slip a good bit in the draft. This is the first prospect that has a chance of being there when we make our selection. Player comparison: Daniel Alfredsson. Projected Pick: 15-30

17) RW Zach Buddish - Team South West, Minnesota High School Elite League. 6'3, 229. 15GP, 14G, 13A, 27PTS
The guy is built like a linebacker and plays like one.. in fact he IS one, which is part of the problem. He injured his knee playing football this past year and missed the entire high school season. That said, by all reports his knee is doing great after rehabing and he's now focused strictly on hockey, which he is set to do for the University of Minnesota next season. Could be this years Blake Wheeler if someone absolutely falls in love with his skill set. Another prospect that should be there with our pick. Player Comparison: A prime Keith Tkachuk. Projected Pick: 15 through early 2nd round

18) D Simon Despres - Saint John, QMJHL. 6'4, 205. 66PG, 2G, 30A, 32PTS.
He already has an NHL ready body, although he could afford to add about 10-15lbs. He has good mobility for a defenseman and good passing ability. That said, he projects strictly as a shut-down type guy at the NHL level. He doesn't have much of a shot or the offensive awareness to run the PP. Player comparison: Mike Komisarek. Projected Pick: 12-15

19) RW Carter Ashton - Lethbridge, WHL. 6'3, 205. 70GP, 30G, 20A, 50PTS.
Another case of good bloodlines, his father Brent had nearly 1000 games at the NHL level. He's a prototypical power forward although he lacks the outright meanness of either Budish or Kassian. He may have better hockey sense then Kassian though and is easily capable of playing in all situations. Played on a loaded Lethbridge forward corps which may have effected his production, especially in the playoffs as they had many more older players on their roster and brought in Kyle Beach on top of that. Player comparison: Ryan Smyth. Projected Pick: 18-30

20) LW Carl Klingberg - Frolunda, SEL. 6'3, 205. 10GP, 2G, 1A, 3PTS
Absolute power forward that is the total package. Speed, hitting, shooting, hockey sense. He can play in every situation and already plays well in his nations top league. The question is simply how good he can get, he hasn't shown the elite scoring level of some of the other prospects so far, which has many wondering if he will be a high end power forward or simply a pretty good energy player at the NHL level. If he's there when we select he's someone I would like to see the Canes take a chance on. Player comparison: Pre-injury Erik Cole. Projected Pick: 18-30

21) C Drew Shore - USNTDP U-18. 6'3, 190. 54GP, 14G, 23A, 37PTS
Another guy I'm higher on then most people, I think Shore could prove to be a total package type guy even though he hasn't shown elite scoring ability yet. He's another power forward prospect but more in the Joe Thornton, hard to move off the puck with good passing ability mold. He'll definitely finish his checks though. Player comparison: a bigger Doug Weight. Projected Pick: 20-35

22) D David Rundblad - Skelleftea, SEL. 6'2, 189. 45GP 0G, 10A, 10PTS
Not the most physical defenseman in this draft by any means, and that's an aspect to his game that he will most certainly have to work on. That said he's a very cerebral defenseman with a wicked RH shot from the point. Don't let his lack of goals with his big team fool you, in 10 games with the junior squad this season he had 8 goals and 15 points. Player comparison: Pavel Kubina. Projected Pick: 12-20

23) LW Jeremy Morin - USNTDP U-18. 6'1, 189. 46GP, 26G, 22A, 48PTS
He very well may be the best pure sniper in the entire draft... and that's counting Tavares. He has absolutely awe inspiring stick handling ability, an NHL caliber shot right now, good speed and agility on the puck, and an underrated two-way game. What he also has might be a reason why his stock in this draft plummets. His work ethic has been questioned many times and some believe these issues have effected his work off the ice leading to him playing in the CHL next year rather then going the NCAA route. On the ice many have said that he can be accused of coasting when he's not on the puck and even more say he's one of the softest players around. That said, he could be worth the gamble and could pay off big time. Player projection: best case: Ilya Kovalchuk, worst case: Pavel Brendl. Projected Pick: 20-40

24) C Louis Leblanc - Omaha, USHL. 6'0, 178. 60GP, 28G, 31A, 59PTS
This guy has the brains (both on and off the ice, as he'll play for Harvard next season) and tenacity to make it in the NHL. He has good hands, stickhandling and vision on the ice making him a solid playmaking and goal scoring threat. He could definitely afford to fill out a good bit before he hits even the NCAA stage though. Can't think of a good player comparison for the guy, Jeff Carter maybe but I'm not sure he has the hands. Projected Pick: 12-20

25) C Kris Kreider - Andover HS, Mass. 6'2, 201. 26GP, 33G, 23A, 56PTS
Exceptional speed both on and off the puck, especially in quick bursts. Very good sense of the game and good vision. Very good shot and shot variety that he can use to fool goalies more often then not. He's supposed to be a really down to earth guy and big time character person, we all know how much the Canes love that. The biggest knock against him seems to be the level of competition that he has gone up against. Mass high school leagues aren't what they used to be so there is a bit of question about how good he really is. Player comparison: a goal scoring version of Anze Kopitar. Projected Pick: 15-30

26) RW/C Kyle Palmieri - USNTDP U-18. 5'10, 191. 33GP, 15G, 15A, 30PTS
He has an NHL body already and a good shot. He's not afraid to go to the high traffic areas to get it off either. He was kicked off the US U-18 team this year but from most accounts it was for refusing to name names after a minor indicent that he knew about. Not sure whether to take that as a sign of poor judgment or good character. The knock is that he could have rather limited upside, he's almost fully developed physically and isn't exactly a dominant talent out there on the ice, although he does have a good two-way game and should be able to find a place for himself in the league. Player comparison: Chris Drury. Projected Pick: 20-30

27) D Stefan Elliott - Saskatoon, WHL. 6'1, 180. 71GP, 16G, 31A, 57PTS
Another two-way defenseman from Saskatoon with good skating ability. Where have I seen that one before? He has a good wrist shot and a good snap shot... not quite as good with the one time slapper. Not very physical, going more for the pokecheck/stickcheck then the hit. He's a safe pick to make the NHL, but the question is if he'll be more Mike Green or Frank Kaberle. Projected Pick: 12-20

28) C Peter Holland - Guelph, OHL. 6'2, 185. 68GP, 28G, 39A, 67PTS
I've heard some comparisons to Eric Staal with him, although his skill level isn't nearly as high IMO. He has a big body, takes it to high traffic areas and has good speed. Defensively he is responsible but could still afford to improve in some areas like most young players could. Projected Pick: 20-35

29) C Jordan Caron - Rimouski, QMJHL. 6'2, 202. 57GP, 36G, 31A, 67PTS
He is a bit lower in my rankings then many others mostly because I'm frankly not a big fan of the QMJHL. That said, I like this kids work ethic and that alone will probably get him drafted in the first round this year. He simply won't get outworked on an play and has the size and body to put himself into the high traffic areas to score. Player comparison: Tomas Holmstrom. Projected Pick: 20-35

30) C Jacob Josefson - Djurgarden, SEL. 6'0, 187. 50GP, 5G, 11A, 16PTS
Arguably the best pure two-way player in the draft. He's not overly big but he has a pretty mature frame already and will likely only need one year if that before he could make a team that drafts him, depending purely on that teams stiuation and needs of course. He's already playing in one of the best leagues in the world so a team taking their time with him and letting him develop over there might not be a bad idea. Very much a playmaker in terms of his offensive game, but I also question his upside offensively. Player comparison: Jamie Langenbrunner, Projected Pick: 12-20

31) D Tim Erixon - Skellefta, SEL. 6'2, 190. 45GP, 2G, 5A, 7PTS
Son of former NHLer Jan Erixon. Cerebral player with good offensive instincts and a good two-way game. Can lead a rush or support it. Not sure how he projects to the North American game to be honest, could be a home run pick or a bust IMO. Projected Pick: 15-30

32) D Calvin de Haan - Oshawa, OHL. 6'0, 170. 68GP, 8G, 55A, 63PTS
Fast riser on a lot of draft rankings. Very strong offensive game from the blueline and is able to slow the game down. Hard and accurate shot. Not the biggest prospect out there and he needs to fill out. Not sure how good his defensive game will be at the next level. Projected Pick: 20-35

33) D Nick Leddy - Eden Prairie HS, Minn. 5'11, 179. 25GP, 8G, 29A, 37PTS
Mr Hockey 2009 for Minnesota. Phenominal skating ability is really the big driving force behind his play. He has a solid shot but he doesn't use it much. Undersized for the NHL, although he's not quite Ellis small. Projected Pick: 25-40

34) RW Alex Chiasson - Des Moines, USHL. 6'4, 187. 56GP, 17G, 33A, 50PTS
Power forward bound for Boston University next year. Very tenacious and highly competitive player. Has great stickhandling ability and passing ability for a power forward and may actually project as more of a setup guy then your typical 30-30-60, 10PIM PF. Upside is the biggest question with him, and he'll have to add about 20 more lbs to be a very effective PF at even the NCAA level. Projected Pick: 40-60

35) D Ryan Button - Prince Albert, WHL. 6'0, 185. 70GP, 5G, 32A, 37PTS
A very safe prospect with good skating ability. Very composed player with a good outlet pass. I'm not sure how much upside he actually has but he'll likely make the league, whether it's as a top 4 or a #6/7 defenseman. Projected Pick: 25-40

36) D Dylan Olsen - Camrose, AJHL, 6'2,206. 53GP. 10G, 19A, 29PTS
His rankings are all over the place, but the lowest I've seen him is the middle of the second round. He's slated to play for UMD next season. Should be a decent two-way defenseman at the next level.
Projected Pick: 20-40

37) C Joonas Nattinen - Espoo, FIN. 6'2, 183. 30GP, 9G, 29A, 38PTS
He put up some impressive offensive numbers in Finland this past year but he likely projects as more of a two-way forward at the NHL level. It will be interesting to see where he ends up going, I think he could be a steal if he slips out of the middle of the 2nd round. Projected Pick: 2nd round

38) D Charles-Olivier Roussel - Shawinigan, QMJHL. 6'1,196. 68GP, 11G, 33A, 44PTS
Red Line seems to be exceptionally high on Roussel, drawing comparisons to Kris Letang. But for the most part everyone else has him right around this range for this years draft. He has a solid offensive game and plays a sound game in his own zone, but is really not all that physical. Good skater with a good outlet pass.
Projected Pick: First half of the 2nd round

39) C Ryan O'Reilly - Erie, OHL. 6'0, 200. 68GP, 16G, 50A, 66PTS
Not the most exceptionally talented player in the draft, but O'Reilly is an absolute battler for the puck and has a solid playmaking game. Can play in every situation and should make the NHL level. The question is if it will be as a top 6 forward or more of a Max Talbot, Chad LaRose, Daren Helm type.
Projected Pick: 2nd round

40) RW Richard Panik - Trinec, Cze. 6'2,203. 15GP, 1G, 1A, 2PTS
Has drawn comparisons to a less skilled Marian Hossa due to the way he plays. He is a good skater, strong on the puck and plays a solid two-way game when he wants to. But that's the issue with him, at one point he was considered a top 15 prospect heading into the season. His effort has been in question throughout the season and he is a big time boom-bust prospect.

41) C Ethan Werek - Kingston, OHL. 6'1,190. 66GP, 32G, 32A, 64PTS
He's a good, well-rounded player that constantly battles for the puck. He's physical and a strong forechecker, which is where he generates most of his offense. He's also not afraid to go into the high traffic areas to score. He doesn't have the highest upside, but he also plays a game that makes him prettymuch a sure bet to make it to the NHL.

42) D Dmitri Orlov - Novokuznetsk, Rus. 6'0,197. 16GP, 1G, 0A, 1PT
Like most Russian defensive prospects he has solid offensive instincts and is not afraid to lead the rush up the ice with the puck. He's also very competent in his own zone, and played a vital role on the Russian U-18 team. The biggest issue with him is possibly in getting him to come over to the NHL, although there have been no indications that he wouldn't make the jump. Projected Pick: 2nd round.

43) C Tomas Tatar - Zvolen, Svk. 5'11,176. 41GP, 4G, 7A, 11PTS
Everybody's hero of the WJC for Team Slovakia, he's regarded as a boom or bust prospect. The biggest thing he showed was his sheer determination in the WJC, which will only help him in making the NHL. With size and his two-way play as question marks around him he could be an absolute steal if he pans out. Projected Pick: 2nd round

44) RW Toni Rajala - Ilves, Fin. 5'10,163. 21GP, 2G, 3A, 5PTS
He's had a lot of hype surrounding him from a very young age and that may have been a bit of a factor in his fall in the rankings this year. He's dominated his age group in Finland for a few years now but the questions about his defensive game and size are legitimate. The 5'10 he is listed at is generous, if he's 5'10 then Samsonov is 6'0. Total boom or bust prospect, but if he pans out he could be a legit top line winger.

45) D Eric Gelinas - Lewiston, QMJHL. 6'2,190. 67GP, 10G, 27A, 37PTS
He offers up a good package of mobility, competitiveness and a defensive game based more on positioning then big hits, but he's not afraid to lay a hit on someone when the time is right. It's partly my anti-QMJHL bias that has him this low, but he finished the season cold with only 6 points in his last 23 games dropping him from a potential first rounder to a 2nd rounder.

46) D Brayden McNabb - Kootenay, WHL. 6'4,200. 67GP, 10G, 26A, 36PTS
Plays in all situations and may be better then most are projecting him to be. He has good mobility for someone his size, but reportedly could afford to develop more of a mean streak, which honestly concerns me a bit in regards to his penalty minute numbers. If he can develop a more disciplined game on defense while adding some nasty to his game he could be a top pairing defenseman. But he's a total project at this point. Projected Pick: 2nd or 3rd round

47) RW Josh Birkholz - Fargo, USHL. 6'1,182. 55GP, 21G, 15A, 36PTS
Committed to play college hockey at Minnesota next year, Birkholz is a fast, physical two-way winger that possesses a good shot and goal scoring instincts. His totals may have been lower then they possibly could have been as Fargo was an expansion USHL team this past season, with Birkholz and Lee being their two real prospects for this draft. Projected Pick: 2nd or 3rd round

48) C Alex Hutchings - Barrie, OHL. 5'10,179. 63GP, 34G, 34A, 68PTS
One of the best skaters in the draft (rated 3rd in the OHL in the coaches poll) with the speed to burn players to the outside on the rush. He displays good instincts in the offensive zone, good but not elite passing skills and a solid shot. He definitely needs to add some strength to his frame before he's ready to make the next level. Could be a boom or bust prospect and is frankly streaky as hell. He'll disappear for a week and then put up 5 the next game.

49) C Jakob Silfverberg - Brynas Jr. 6'1,187. 30G, 14G, 24A, 38PTS
Versatile forward that can play an offensive role, an energy role or a shutdown role with just about the same level of excellence. The question remains in just how high his upside is. He's a smart player but he doesn't do anything exceptionally well. That's not always a bad thing if they're still producing, just look at Paul Stastny.

50) D Seth Helgeson - Souix City, USHL. 6'5,220. 58GP, 4G, 12A, 16PTS
Big, nasty and physically imposing out there on the ice. He could definitely afford to work on his lower body strength to improve his skating and defending against the forecheck. His offense will never be all that good, but as a stay at home defenseman he's one of the best options in the draft. Projected Pick: 2nd or 3rd round

Top 5 Goalies:
1) Mike Lee - Fargo, USHL. 6'1, 185. 48GP, 2.40GAA, .918%, 3SO
Considering that he played for an expansion team his numbers could have been even better. I'm higher on this kid then most but I think whoever takes him will get a steal, especially if it's after the 2nd round. Projected Pick: 2nd or 3rd round

2) Matthew Hackett - Plymouth, OHL. 6'2, 170. 55GP, 3.04GAA, .913%, 2SO
Bloodlines yet again as he's the nephew of Jeff Hackett. Has steadily risen throughout the season to be the top rated goalie in the draft according to most everyone. Projected Pick: 2nd round

3) Edward Pasquale - Saginaw, OHL. 6'2, 218. 61GP, 3.02GAA, .911%, 0SO
He put up some good numbers on a strong Saginaw team this past season. I like Save% as in indicator for future success for goalies which is a big reason I have him over Roy while many don't. Will need to get his weight down to improve his mobility in the NHL. Projected Pick: 2nd or 3rd round

4) Robin Lehner - Frolunda Jr, Swe. 6'3, 220. 22GP, 3.05GAA, .903%, 1SO
The top rated Euro goalie throughout the year. I'm not as much of a believer as most but he'll likely be either the first or 2nd goalie off the board this year. Projected Pick: 2nd round

5) Oliver Roy - Cape Breton, QMJHL. 6'0, 165. 54GP, 2.80GAA, .906%, 3SO
Has been high up in the goalie rankings all season but I don't believe he possesses ideal size for the NHL game. Is not quite as explosive in net as a Mike Murphy or Dustin Tokarski which hurts when you're in the draft as an undersized goalie. Projected Pick: 2nd or 3rd round.

top 10 sleepers:
1) RW Alexander Avtsyn - high end forward but will he come over, just how high is his upside. Scored 110 points in 76 games in the Russian 3rd Division. Projected Pick: 3rd or 4th round
2) D Colin Bowman - solid defensive defenseman that has slipped through the cracks due to being on a loaded team. Is it the player or is it the system. Projected Pick: 3rd to 5th round
3) W Ben Hanowski - Rated all over the place. The HS forward dominated his competition this year putting up 110 points. Projected Pick: 2nd or 3rd round
4) G Lucas Flueler - Once touted as a future first rounder, he put up good stats in the OHL two years before his draft year as a "1B" goalie but then returned to Switzerland. Has since fallen in the rankings despite taking over as the #1 for his team in the top Swiss league. Projected Pick: 4th through 7th rounds
5) D Beau Schmitz - Undersized former US NTDP player put up some solid stats in his first year in the OHL and had a great playoff. Could be a steal late in the draft. Projected Pick: 5th through 7th rounds
6) LW Justin Florek - The 2nd best prospect currently playing in the NCAA ranks in this draft. Finished with 17 points and a plus 19 rating as a freshman. Could be this years Nick Dodge type pick. Projected Pick: 4th or 5th round
7) D Maxim Chudinov - Two time WJCer that had an especially solid year this year. Already a KHL regular so getting him over might be an issue. Projected Pick: 5th through 7th rounds.
8) C Pavel Chernov - Was passed over in the draft last year. Played well for Belarus in the WJC and put up better then a point per game in the Russian 3rd league this year. Projected Pick: 5th through 7th rounds
9) C Steve Anthony - Was expected to be the next big thing out of Nova Scotia but has seemingly been a bust since them... but don't buy it. He has been getting low amounts of ice time, but whenever he has been given regular shifts in the top 6 for Saint John he has excelled. Projected Pick: 4th through 7th rounds
10) W Sergei Ostapchuk - Overager that was somehow left off the final list by Central Scouting. But he scores at a point per game level on a bad team, and plays a solid two-way game. Has good NHL potential if he doesn't head back to Russia, I don't think he will. Projected Pick: 5th through 7th rounds

and yes, I realize that order is some kind of messed up. Odds are this is going to be one of the most messed up drafts in a long time, likely in 2003 territory where a guy like O'Sullivan can fall right out of the first round and yet an epic bust can end up in the top 15.

Last edited by DaveG: 06-23-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old
06-06-2009, 10:45 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

All aboard the Ferraro train! Hopefully he falls to us though. I think he would be the best fit for our team out of the guys that could possibly be there at our pick. His blend of speed, grit, goal scoring ability, and pedigree would be a great addition to the organization. From what I've seen he's a mix between a Kessel and Jeff Carter although his game won't be as developed as those two when they were drafted.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 11:01 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post
All aboard the Ferraro train! Hopefully he falls to us though. I think he would be the best fit for our team out of the guys that could possibly be there at our pick. His blend of speed, grit, goal scoring ability, and pedigree would be a great addition to the organization. From what I've seen he's a mix between a Kessel and Jeff Carter although his game won't be as developed as those two when they were drafted.
I would be a definite fan of him as our pick if he's still there. I think we need a power forward in the system badly but I also think Ferraro has Justin Williams type upside and you just can't pass that up. We can always go for a guy like Alex Chiasson in the 2nd if we go with Ferraro. It's all about BPA, and I think odds are he'll be the best player on the board if he slips that far.

Old
06-12-2009, 10:48 AM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

Branecky's 10 players to watch

06-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Somewhat surprised by the presence of 3 defensemen, especially 3 ranked so low by central scouting. I guess this isn't just a first round preview, though, but moreso players to watch for the entire draft. Glad to see that 2 of the dmen are at least big guys.

Also, glad to see they're considering Klingberg.

Old
06-12-2009, 12:17 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Yeah it looks to me of more of a list of guys in the first two rounds they could go after. Hegelson and Gelinas both have a good chance of being there for us in the 2nd. Olsen surprises me, mostly because I think there's no way in hell we end up with him. He'll go early 2nd round, and frankly I think it's a mistake to take him over a guy like Klingberg, Kreider or Budish if they're still there which they should be, or at least one of them. We still need more long term depth up front, especially of the variety that a Klingberg/Budish type can provide: size with a mean streak.

Old
06-12-2009, 02:28 PM
clementnorman

with ellis being so small but so good on offense why wont he be able to switch to forward? just wondering

clementnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 03:35 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

It could work, but there are also plenty of very good if not great defensemen that are undersized.

Rafalski: 5'10, 191
JM Liles: 5'10, 185
Enstrom: 5'10, 180
Timonen: 5'10, 194
Visnovski: 5'10, 188
Brett Lebda: 5'9, 195
Francis Boullion: 5'8, 198

it's not so much height that he needs, it's mass to his frame to back up what he does have. 173 is an absolute generous weight for him, I'd be surprised if he weighed that soaking wet while wearing full equipment. If he can bulk up to 180-185, and I mean a legitimate 180-185 not the OHLs inflated number, he could be an absolute force as he would be able to stand up to bigger forwards. As he is right now a guy like Ruutu would have a field day just pushing him around and roughing him up.

Old
06-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Also, somebody make sure to watch that list the way we did last year because it could change. If you'll remember, Brandon Sutter's name was a late addition to the list last year and its who we ended up taking. Watch that page for subtle clue changes.

Also, that list hit on a few guys that I had wanted us to target with our 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder. The defensemen for the most part.