HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Draft Thread

Old
06-22-2009, 09:29 PM
totaltank

vCash: 500
For some reason, don't ask me why because I can't explain it, I have a gut feeling that we may be looking for Klingberg. Just based on some of the things I've read/heard/figured, nothing "inside."

For one thing, he did well at the combine in at least one test that I know Pete Friesen likes to use. I think he may get Pete's vote. That's all I got.

Last edited by totaltank: 06-23-2009 at 05:13 PM.
totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 09:34 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
The sheer fact that he was mentioned in the prospect article brought that up in my head. This team rarely drafts players from Europe and hasn't drafted someone from Sweden for a decade. And then suddenly we see Klingberg appear on that list? I may be jumping the gun by connecting the dots, but it appears very likely that's the direction we're going to take. It's just too much of a coincidence for someone that is directly a part of the Canes organization to post something like that for there not to be some aspect of truth to it.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 10:53 PM
bleedgreen

well theyre looking at power forwards, we know this. the kid is a top power forward in the draft who can be in our range, we HAVE to be looking at him. he seems to be the kind of kid we can get over here, so he is a possibility. you have to consider the fact that we WILL rush our first rounder, so the question is "who is the closest to be ready to go now?" this kid is likely the one, since he is likely more mentally advanced than the others. budish is a long term investment, as is ashton to me. i would think its down to holland or kilngberg. kreiger seems long term, as does budish, shore, and ashton.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 06-24-2009 at 10:51 AM.
bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 4458
TSN mock draft has Pierre picking Ashton for us at 27th and Craig picking Ferraro for us. Not sure how good the source is, but later in the clip they talk that the Avalanche are looking to move Ryan Smyth, Scott Hannan, and JM Liles "in hopes of cutting payroll". Maybe JR can work his magic and get his boy JML after all?

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Just say no to Peter Holland and Carter Ashton.

I would love to have Klingberg here even if he does look like that red haired chick from Sex in the City. Budish would be great. Ferraro would be phenomenal. I wouldn't mind any of the other projected targets in Shore or Kreiger either.

But my money is on one of the two that I dislike as prospects being taken. It's just the law of averages. The only time that I ever got what I wanted was Brandon Sutter over Angelo Esposito and Cherepanov and having to talk people off the wall here.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 08:58 AM
totaltank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
TSN mock draft has Pierre picking Ashton for us at 27th and Craig picking Ferraro for us. Not sure how good the source is, but later in the clip they talk that the Avalanche are looking to move Ryan Smyth, Scott Hannan, and JM Liles "in hopes of cutting payroll". Maybe JR can work his magic and get his boy JML after all?
The most interesting comment I've seen so far pre-draft is from McKenzie in his Top 60 article. He said that it may be a deep draft, but it's not *that* deep. The reason is that you get to guys with "warts" pretty quickly. There are a lot of "high-risk hit-or-miss" guys, and very few "guaranteed to be NHLers." So, when you get down to the middle of the first round, you're already talking about guys with serious shortcomings. When we look back at this one, I bet we see a bunch of All-Stars, and a bunch of total busts.

That's why I think we should go Klingberg. Low bust potential.

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 08:58 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
Liles now makes too much money and was really more of target (due in no small part to Laviolette having coached in previously) when the team needed more offensive Dmen. Now they need to add more physical play and grit on the blueline. Hannan would be more the type player but also is too pricey.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
The most interesting comment I've seen so far pre-draft is from McKenzie in his Top 60 article. He said that it may be a deep draft, but it's not *that* deep. The reason is that you get to guys with "warts" pretty quickly. There are a lot of "high-risk hit-or-miss" guys, and very few "guaranteed to be NHLers." So, when you get down to the middle of the first round, you're already talking about guys with serious shortcomings. When we look back at this one, I bet we see a bunch of All-Stars, and a bunch of total busts.

That's why I think we should go Klingberg. Low bust potential.
I am going to have to disagree here a bit fundamentally. I am not so sure that I agree with Bob, as much as I respect his work and his word, about his evaluation of the later first round talent. With the surprising amount of gritty two way forwards that reside in the 21-30 range, it seems to me that most of those kids are pretty strong bets to play in the NHL in some capacity. Landon Ferraro has his dad's genes and plays with a little sandpaper to his game. Even if he doesn't turn out to be as talented as his father, he still has his hockey brains to back him up. Carter Ashton, as much as I dislike him as a prospect, has a similar pedigree and should be at the very least an effective grinder at the NHL level. When your dad has 1,000 games at the NHL level and you are lauded as being just as smart, the chances are good that you're going to carve out a place at the table. Listening to Landon Ferraro talk is creepy because if you look away from the screen it could be Chicken Parm himself as they have the same affect and pace to their speech. Drew Shore is the same way in terms of his ability to play both sides of the puck equally and guys like that usually find their way into the league.

Where Klingberg becomes more of a risk is not his play style, but rather his bountiful options aside from coming to North America to play hockey. I think stylistically he's the most "NHL ready", but more times than not you'll see these kids that get drafted in the bottom of the first round elect to stay in their native countries for a few years to develop. With the way that draft rights are set to expire now under the new CBA, it could be a bit of a risk to take a foreign player with the intent to bring him over right away unless you have the contract in hand with his ink on it.

At worst, I see Landon Ferraro as a Chad Larose type 3rd liner. Frantic pace to his game, hardest worker at the rink, and chippy when the situation calls for it just like his father. I think his hands have been underrated to a degree and his speed.... goodness his speed is just off the charts. He should be an absolute pain in the neck to play against regardless of where he lands. I think a lot of folks are scared away by the 165 weight, but I wouldn't bet against the smaller ball of hate.

At worst, I see Carter Ashton as a 4th line body in the Mike Rupp mold. He'll be a professional for a long time, but the success will depend on his development in regards to playing the body and finishing plays. Again, i'll say that I don't like his game and think he watches the puck too much. I question his willingness to go into dirty areas with the puck and I don't know if that will change.

Old
06-24-2009, 12:07 PM
AntonFromAppState
Hurricaniac

Did tampa forfeit the pick we gave them? on nhl.com it says the pick was forfeited.

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 12:22 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacFromAppState View Post
Did tampa forfeit the pick we gave them? on nhl.com it says the pick was forfeited.
It was traded (along with some salary dumps) to Toronto for some random crap prospect. The league didn't like something about the Fogren (sp?) deal they signed this past offseason so they decided the Leafs would have to forfeit that pick.

Old
06-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Cory Lavalette
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Cory Lavalette
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
It was traded (along with some salary dumps) to Toronto for some random crap prospect. The league didn't like something about the Fogren (sp?) deal they signed this past offseason so they decided the Leafs would have to forfeit that pick.
right ... it was part of that whole Kolzig to Toronto trade. Then forfeited b/c of Frogren's signing breaking some CBA rule.

06-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 4458
Found this little clip at http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=lebrun_pierre.

""Veteran GM Jim Rutherford of the Carolina Hurricanes, citing the uncertain economic times, talked like a man who was going to lay in the weeds, especially come free agency July 1. He's usually a very active guy at this time of year, but with the salary cap likely going down for the 2010-11 season, he's going to be careful where he spends his money. And that includes his own pending unrestricted free agents, which include Erik Cole and Chad LaRose.

"Those are good players," Rutherford said. "But we have to mindful of the economics and how everyone fits in. I'm still talking to my free agents, but we'll see what happens.""

Not really anything new... What Pierre fails to include is that JR always says he's going to quietly lay in the weeds.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 08:54 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Oh no kidding there. Thing is that this is the first time the cap could be declining, the first of two seasons where we're likely to see that happen. I expect it to be closer to 54 million this coming season and probably right around 50-52 million the year after before it starts going back up again.

I still see the Canes overpaying for either LaRose or Cole before the start of the UFA frenzy though, that much is for sure in my mind.

Old
06-24-2009, 09:02 PM
semin4captain

Quote:
Oh no kidding there. Thing is that this is the first time the cap could be declining, the first of two seasons where we're likely to see that happen. I expect it to be closer to 54 million this coming season and probably right around 50-52 million the year after before it starts going back up again.
That's scary as it's only $1M over our budget. We've always talked about how "cap hit doesn't matter to us", but guys like Staal and Gleason have heavily back-loaded contracts that drive their cap hits up compared to their actual salary.

I understand that it was necessary to keep him and it bought out a ton of UFA years, but Staal's cap hit is a tad too high compared to his scoring. He will probably be worth it in the later years as he gets better (and gets better linemates! ), but not now. Having a $8.25M cap hit on a $6M contract next year is a bit ridiculous and shows how much of a budget team we are. We probably would have been able to get him a bit cheaper per year had we been willing to give him the money up front.

Quote:
I still see the Canes overpaying for either LaRose or Cole before the start of the UFA frenzy though, that much is for sure in my mind.
I like LaRose, but I think his upside is limited and that his spot would be better off given to Eaves (who we are already paying $1.4M/yr; there's no point in paying two third line grinders big dollars).

Cole is a different ball game. His scoring has declined, but he still offers a physical presence that no other forward (save for Ruutu) on the team does. I'd like to see him back but only for around $2.5M.

Last edited by semin4captain: 06-24-2009 at 09:07 PM.
semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 09:12 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

We'll be fine. We have to re-sign Ward yet, and POSSIBLY Whitney and Corvo as well. But we have over 18 million off the payroll after next year. At most about 10 to 12 million of that will be spent on re-signing them. Probably 5 to 5.5 for Ward and somewhere between 2 and 3 for Whitney, no clue on Corvo if they even do retain him. I can't see us being over 30 million in salary (before the Ward, etc resignings) heading into that season even if they do retain Ruutu, Babchuk and one of LaRose/Cole long term.

Old
06-24-2009, 09:44 PM
semin4captain

Quote:
We'll be fine. We have to re-sign Ward yet, and POSSIBLY Whitney and Corvo as well. But we have over 18 million off the payroll after next year. At most about 10 to 12 million of that will be spent on re-signing them. Probably 5 to 5.5 for Ward and somewhere between 2 and 3 for Whitney, no clue on Corvo if they even do retain him. I can't see us being over 30 million in salary (before the Ward, etc resignings) heading into that season even if they do retain Ruutu, Babchuk and one of LaRose/Cole long term.
You're probably right, but that still leaves little room to improve the team. It could get better with Boychuk/Bowman/Sutter/McBain hitting the age of 21-22 and starting to be able to contribute in big roles, but I still think this team needs a scorer to play with Staal. Not that we were ever realistically acquire some big name, but even a Kobasew-type may not fit given the cap coming down.

Last edited by semin4captain: 06-24-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old
06-24-2009, 10:02 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

That actually would still give over 5 million in cap room to do something even after factoring in some of the additions from within. Depending on what happens free agent wise. Two roster spots to fill (assuming one defense and one forward) but I could easily see us doing something on the cheap defense wise and using that money to go after someone we've been after for a while like Frolov.

Old
06-24-2009, 11:07 PM
semin4captain

Quote:
That actually would still give over 5 million in cap room to do something even after factoring in some of the additions from within. Depending on what happens free agent wise. Two roster spots to fill (assuming one defense and one forward) but I could easily see us doing something on the cheap defense wise and using that money to go after someone we've been after for a while like Frolov.
Frolov would be perfect, but I have a feeling we'd be massively outbid for him. He's young, big/strong, a solid two-way player and great offensively when he's on his game. That's the exact type of player we see overpaid every offseason.

If we want Frolov, we should acquire him now (I would have liked to see Williams-for-Frolov instead of O'Sullivan, but the Kings likely wouldn't have gone for that). It really sucks that the reported Cole-for-Frolov deal fell through a few years ago as that would have turned out to be a major steal.

Old
06-25-2009, 07:48 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

if Whitney is resigned after this season to play top 6 minutes I will be very upset. We have young guys coming up that are essentially the same type player. His extension money should go to fill a need, i.e. a legit winger for Staal or at least a scorer that can be counted on in high traffic areas. adn im sure we all think Corvo will price himself out of this market even if he isnt dealt prior to or during this season

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 07:52 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 50
Well, the draft is tomorrow, so here is my final rankings and a few random thoughts.
First and foremost, a few scenerios of possibility here. Simply because, you just never know. And with Jim Rutherford, some things, you really just don't know.

Scenerio - Carolina trades their 1st Rd Pick to Boston for RW Chuck Kobasew.

That's right, I am not letting this go. I will admit, this theory is a little stretched based on the fact of our budget. Where would we fit Kobasew's $2.333? We would have to move a body or two, and i'm not so sure I see that happening. This has become unlikely in my mind unless JR knows he can shuffle a thing or two around. Not likely, but I wouldn't completely count it out. If JR can get a player he considers top 6 for a draft pick, has wanted since his draft day and clear some room over the summer, I wouldn't count Jim out to not make the move. Just keep your eyes open.

Scenerio - Carolina trades their 1st Rd Pick & Anton Babchuk to move up in the draft - Possibly near the middle of the 1st Rd.

In order to move up in the draft, a move may be made and I wouldn't be to surprised. Not saying it will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. There are plenty of defensive defenceman on the open market that would fit our budget. It would also finally give Carson an opportunity. He is big, he plays a sound defensive game, it is time for the next step. If we said goodbye to Babchuk, that would give us atleast/in around 2.2 to sign a defenceman on the back end (including Seidenbergs 1.2). You still want Zanon? That may do it. JR seems so shady in regards to Babchuk that I really don't know if he'll see another game in a Canes uniform. That is where this stems from for me & why I believe Babchuk may be moved. With the removal of Seidenberg, and Kaberle staying, in all honesty we are in need of something that can solidify things back there and I don't believe JR see's Babchuk in that light nor Kaberle or Wallin. I think we would be fine with 2 offensive defenceman on pairing 1 & 2 in Pitkanen & Corvo. Jimmy will trade an 'asset' today if he can make a fix in his mind. You know it. And really, is there a better time to get rid of Babchuk than after an explosive 16 goal season? Sounds uneducated but I say that because I believe in Jimmy's mind, he could get something now that was never, ever there before & something that may not be here in the near future for someone he seems very turned off against when talking about. I just wouldn't count it out, that's all.

Pitkanen
Gleason
Corvo
Zanon/Boynton/Leopold/Gill/Mara/Montador
Carson
Kaberle
Wallin

+ a prospect in the draft that if we don't move, we may not get to land. Who knows, it could move us in around the #15 mark, middle of the pack(ish). Adding something a little more juicy that you could get near the middle of the pack and not the end to join the promising likes of Boychuk, Sutter, Bowman & McBain would really add to the cupboard in my opinion. It looks like Ferraro *may* be on the board come our pick, but I really, really, doubt it and am scared to chance it. In all honesty, I really want Ferraro and if we have to move up to the 15-20 spot to get him, I want to do that. Teams take players a few spots early every June just to make sure they can get the player they want. Sucks we missed out on Kobasew by ONE spot doesn't it? I would hate like a pile of dog **** for the same to happen to Ferraro, but in 4-5 years look back and say 'what if'. He seems like a fairly safe pick here and JR likes that aspect. JR also loved the bloodlines. Very good skater, quite a good shot, very good defensive game. I want him in our organization. Some will not be on the same boat as I am, but if we could move up, I would seriously do it.

Now on to the draft.

My list of possibilities at #27

- Landon Ferraro
- Carter Ashton
- Kyle Palmieri
- Zach Budish
- Drew Shore
- Chris Brown

Watch out for: Joonas Nattinen

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-25-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

I would say, knowing JR, that if we traded Babchuk it would probably be straight up for a draft pick. Probably a middle of the 2nd round pick.

Old
06-25-2009, 09:02 AM
UnPLEASED Anton

I dont think his value is that high to be honest. It was only 2 years ago when we couldn't give him away. What has happened since? A defection, a great second half of a season, and then subsequent benching in the playoffs. I think this is one of those cases where his value to other teams wouldnt be good enough to us.

UnPLEASED Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaberlay View Post
I dont think his value is that high to be honest. It was only 2 years ago when we couldn't give him away. What has happened since? A defection, a great second half of a season, and then subsequent benching in the playoffs. I think this is one of those cases where his value to other teams wouldnt be good enough to us.
Well if I remember correctly, JR had offers for Babchuk at or around the 4th round prior to his defection but wouldn't budge from his stance that he wanted a 3rd for him. I would imagine a 16 goal season would inflate his stock a fair amount.

If any team wanted to sign him away as an RFA in the $1 to $2 million range it would cost them a 2nd round pick anyways. If somehow they wanted him on a long term deal in the $2 to $3 million range, it would cost them a 1st and a 3rd. I wouldn't think it would be unrealistic to expect a 2nd rounder in return for him if a team was high on his potential and wanted to lock him up for 3 years at $2.5 milllion. If they offered him that on a sheet, it would be a 1st and a 3rd.

Old
06-25-2009, 10:26 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Mocking the Draft:

1 New York Islanders - C John Tavares
Team Needs: top end forwards, defenseman, goaltending depth
Obvious choice here. The Isles not only need top end players at all skill positions, they need a face to the franchise. Tavares is the best prospect to fill that since Crosby. While I can understand a lot of people saying "build from the net out" to take Hedman, remember that the Islanders have more then 1 first, and that defensemen are a riskier proposition in the first then forwards.
Other Potential Pick: D Victor Hedman

2 Tampa Bay Lightning - D Victor Hedman
Team Needs: top end defenseman, winger
The first potential trade spot in the draft (only if the Isles take Hedman) is a Tampa team that probably shouldn't have been QUITE as bad last year as they were. Don't get me wrong, that team has quite a few issues, but the biggest ones on the team are a lack of a top end defenseman other then Meszaros, who's a #2 or 3 on most teams. Hedman gives them a prospect that, within 3 or 4 years, should be a legit #1 and projects to be a Norris candidate. This is the most hyped defensive prospect since Pronger.
Other Possible Picks: D Dimitri Kulikov, D OEL, D Jared Cowen (all after trading down)

3 Colorado Avalanche - C Matt Duchene
Team Needs: top end forward, goaltender
This team has a lot of quality depth players, but the issue is they're lacking legit top end talent outside of Stastny up front. With the need for an eventual replacement for Sakic, the Avs fan Duchene is the not only the obvious pick but the right one as well. I don't have him as far separated from Evander Kane as most, but stylistically Duchene is just a better fit for Colorado long term.
Other Possible Pick: C Evander Kane

4 Atlanta Thrashers - C Evander Kane
Team Needs: top end right wing, center
This team needs a bit of work up front. The Thrashers have done a great job rebuilding their defense over the past few years with Bogosian and Enstrom leading the way. That said, where they really need help is up front again, where they're STILL recovering from the loss of Marc Savard. Kane is the easy choice as he has the versatility to be that #1 C they need or that #1 RW they need.
Other Possible Pick: C Brayden Schenn

5 Los Angeles Kings - C Brayden Schenn
Team Needs: #2 center, defensive forwards
The Kings already have one of the best two-way centers in hockey in Stoll, but they still could use at least 2 more defensive forwards and someone that projects to be their #2 behind Kopitar. In comes Schenn, who fills both needs. He's the best player on the board at this point and fills the team needs rather well to say the least. That said, the Kings have never been ones to go the conventional route under DL and could easily shake things up.
Other Possible Picks: C Nazem Kadri, W MPS

6 Phoenix Coyotes - D Dimitri Kulikov
Really with the consensus top 5 off the board the Yotes could go in a number of directions and still be making the right move. I don't put Kulikov in here out of team need, Phoenix rarely drafts like that, I put him in here as I see him as the best player available with the fewest question marks around him. Phoenix management could see someone completely different and still be right, that's how much of a craps shoot it is at this point.
Other Possible Picks: D Cowen, D OEL, W MPS

7 Toronto Maple Leafs - D Jared Cowen
Team Needs: top end forwards, defensemen, goalie.
The obvious pick here is Brayden Schenn if he's still onboard... I don't think he will be. As of right now we REALLY have no idea what way Burke will go in the draft. Cowen makes the most sense as Burke loves the big tough guys. Although, at least IMO, the Leafs need a lot of work at ALL positions, including net (sorry Pogge fanboys).
Other Possible Picks: C Nazem Kadri, W MPS, D OEL

8 Dallas Stars - D Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Team Needs: top end defenseman, right wing, goalie
This team is fairly solid down the middle and on the left side, where they really need help, both in terms of system and play, is on the back end. Larsson is likely BPA even if they didn't need defense, but as is they'll be looking for a replacement for Zubov soon enough and he's likely their best bet there. Very slick offensive defenseman with a good defensive game.
Other Possible Picks: D John Moore, D Ryan Ellis, C Nazem Kadri, W MPS

9 Ottawa Senators - W Magnus Paajarvi-Svenson
Team Needs: #2 center, top line winger
Depending on what the reported Heatley trade negotiations could bring this team could go in a number of directions. I do not see Zubov as the long term answer down the middle, although they have a number of short term ones in place. But if Heatley is moved out (which I believe he will be) the most likely need they will have is a top end LW, which is where MPS can step in eventually. I like Foligno but I think he tops out as a #2 LW, MPS represents a higher upside.

10 Edmonton Oilers - C Scott Glennie
Team Needs: Size, Sniper
The Oilers are in a bit of a rough spot. Eberle is potentially their sniper of the future but he's still a year away from cracking the lineup, and another one or two from being an impact player (strictly IMO). But they'll still need a secondary finisher. Glennie does not really represent that although he's a move in the right direction there. But what he does represent is a move towards bigger, more physical two-way forwards that are needed to win in the Western Conference.
Other Possible Picks: C Nazem Kadri, RW Zach Kassian

11 Nashville Predators - F Jordan Schroeder
Team Needs: high end winger
This is a tricky one that could go a few different directions due to the possability of Radulov coming back. That said I have Schroeder over Kadri as the best player available and, with the instant chemistry he has with Wilson, a playmaker for a potentially potent future first line in Nashville. This is a team that wasn't far off from making the playoffs last year and could easily find its way back in so don't expect them to rush whoever they take.
Other Possible Pick: C Nazem Kadri

12 Minnesota Wild - C Nazem Kadri
Team Needs: high end forward, re-sign Gaborik
This team could be in for a long rebuild if Gaborik does in fact jet to Vancouver. But even if they do retain him they could use another high end forward prospect in the system, although now that they're no longer running a system that stifles almost all offensive creativity that may not actually be the case. Either way, I have Kadri as the best forward available here and his slide finally stops. They could easily move Kadri to the wing (which I think better suits his game) to be a good finisher to play alongside Koivu.
Other Possible Picks: D John Moore, C Louis Leblanc, C Chris Kreider

13 Buffalo Sabres - RW Zach Kassian
Team Needs: size up front, high end RW prospect
With this teams recent trend of drafting what are more or less smurfs up front they could really use is a physical presence to keep other teams from taking runs at them... assuming they can catch their smaller forwards. Kassian represents that as well as the need for a potentially high end RW, although strictly in a complementary "crash the net to get all my scoring done" role. Not that there's ANYTHING wrong with that, Espo made a living doing that.
Other Possible Picks: RW Carter Ashton, RW Zach Budish

14 Florida Panthers - D John Moore
Team Needs: high end defenseman, center, defensive forwards
With the immenent departure of Bouwmeester the Panthers once again have defense as an option with this pick, I see it being used to take the best player on the board in Moore. They could go in a few other directions though, although IMO should be focused down the middle as I'm not a believer in Mathias in the least.
Other Possible Picks: C Kreider, C Leblanc, C Jacob Josefson

15 Anaheim Ducks - C Jacob Josefson
Team Needs: goaltender prospect, future #2 C
Really other then in net this team doesn't need a lot in their rebuilding process. The frightening prospect of losing Niedermayer AND Pronger in the next two years may push them towards Ellis as having the highest upside available on D. But I see them playing it safe and going with Josefson who projects to be a very solid #2 center behind Getzlaf. A solid two-way playmaking center would make for a good one-two punch in Anaheim.
Other Possible Picks: D Ryan Ellis, C Leblanc, C Kreider

16 Columbus Blue Jackets - D Ryan Ellis
Team Needs: offensive defenseman
This is a team that really doesn't need a lot, but one of the big things they do need is a true offensive defenseman. I'm not suggesting they've soured on Kris Russell at all, but the fact of the matter is that they could easily use another one. Ellis is the best and most talented player on the board at this point as well. If he were 3 inches taller and 15 lbs heavier we'd be talking about him along with Duchene in the 3-4 tier this year.
Other Possible Picks: RW Carter Ashton, C Chris Kreider, C Louis Leblanc, D David Rundblad

17 St. Louis Blues - C Chris Kreider
Team Needs: sniper, top end goaltender
This is a team that really doesn't need a lot and can afford to take its time with their first round pick. Kreider may have some of the best hands in the draft and posesses an elite set of wheels to go with it, and a pure sniper threat is something the Blues have been needing for a while. They may move either him or Oshie to the wing if this is the direction they chose to go. There is not a high end goaltender that is likely to go first round in this draft so they won't go that direction until the 2nd round at the earliest, otherwise that would be my pick here regardless of BPA.
Other Possible Picks: C Louis Leblanc, RW Carter Ashton, RW Landon Ferraro, RW Jordan Caron

18 Montreal Canadiens - C Louis Leblanc
Team Needs: high end C, sniper
A pick that will likely not be booed in Montreal, or at least I would hope not too much once the name is announced. You can't be too sure since he's not QMJHL. Either way, he's exactly what the team needs. They're loaded on the wings, but rather shallow in terms of high end centermen. They can take their time with him, but they probably need him in the next 2-3 seasons depending on retirements, ufa losses, ufa signings, trades.
Other Possible Picks: RW Jordan Caron, D David Rundblad, D Simon Despres

19 New York Rangers - RW Zach Budish
Team Needs: size, high end wingers, goaltender depth
This is a gamble of a pick, but the Rangers have never been afraid to take the gamble on a high end player themselves in the past. Budish would likely be right up there with Kane and Schenn if he wasn't injured this year and is possibly the nastiest PF in the draft. This fills the Rangers long term needs at both positions and could make for an interesting draft pick.
Other Possible Picks: RW Carter Ashton, C Drew Shore, D David Rundblad

20 Calgary Flames - D David Rundblad
Team Needs: defensemen
This is a team that at one point a few years back was considered to have the best defensive corps in the league. Of course, that was also before Mike Keenan happened. But right now that defense is in rebuild mode and they only have one high end defensive prospect. It's not an urgent need with some of the guys they have in the system but it's one they definitely should address this year.
Other Possible Picks: RW Carter Ashton, D Calvin de Hann, D Simon Despres

21 Philadelphia Flyers - RW Carter Ashton
Team Needs: goaltender
Another team that I would have taking a goalie if there were one worth drafting in the first round available. Right now I have them taking Ashton as BPA, but that could go to any number of players. He fits the Flyers mold of a big, physical, power forward type with some skill to him.
Other Possible Picks: D Despres, D Nick Leddy, D de Hann

22 Vancouver Canucks - D Simon Despres
Team Needs: high end LW, defenseman
This is a team without many real needs so I see them going with the best player available (Despres at this point). They could go any number of directions though, especially with the prospect of losing the Sedins. Although that may be offset if they do indeed sign Gaborik. They have an interesting mix on their blueline of young talent and veteran players, but they definitely could use another defenseman prospect.
Other Possible Picks: D de Hann, D Leddy, C Peter Holland

23 New Jersey Devils - D Calvin de Hann
Team Needs: goaltending depth, high end C, high end D
Not sure which direction these guys are going to go this year, they're pretty strong at most positions other then in net. And even there Frazee has started to turn things around a bit. They tend to go BPA and here I see that being de Hann. I think he could fit a need for another high end defenseman as well for them, but at the least should fit in nicely with a group that includes Corrente, Burlon and Martin.
Other Possible Picks: C Holland, D Leddy, C Shore

24 Washington Capitals - RW Jordan Caron
Team Needs: high end RW, defensive defensemen, two-way forwards
Caron addresses what is probably the only true weaknesses in an organization that is loaded with talent. Caron gives them a true power forward, which is also something the organization could use, although they're not lacking for size with the skill they have up front. Don't be surprised if they end up going in another direction.
Other Possible Picks: C Shore, C Kyle Palmieri, D Leddy, D Tim Erixon, RW Landon Ferraro

25 Boston Bruins - D Tim Erixon
Team Needs: defense, possibly high end LW
Erixon is the best defenseman on the board at this point. Still think they can go BPA here but after talking with some of my Bruins fan friends they're likely to go defense. And I can definitely see that, they have some good young defensemen, but they're losing a good bit to free agency this year.
Other Possible Picks: RW Ferraro, D Leddy, D Erixon, C Shore

26 New York Islanders (from San Jose) - D Nick Leddy
Having drafted Tavares the Islanders look towards addressing their defense with this next pick. I honestly see them going more the offensive defenseman route here with Leddy then more of a two-way guy like Erixon.
Other Possible Picks: D Erixon, D Dylan Olsen, D Stefan Elliott

27 Carolina Hurricanes - RW Landon Ferraro
Team Needs: sniper, size, high end defensive defenseman
For a team that made the conference finals there are actually a few holes in the system. They could use a sniper and a power forward about as much as the other when looking at possibilities for this pick. I feel Ferraro fits this need the most when looking at the available options despite his lack of size. He has a strong two-way game and arguably one of the top 3 shots in the entire draft. There are one or two others I could see the Canes going with here that are still on this drafts board.
Other Possible Picks: LW Carl Klingberg, C Shore, LW Jeremy Morin

personally as a Canes fan I LOVE the idea of a future top 6 of:
Tuomo Ruutu - Eric Staal - Landon Ferraro
Drayson Bowman - Zach Boychuk - Zac Dalpe
I'd like it just as much if you swaped out Klingberg for Ferraro and changed the wingers around a bit. Either of those two and I'd be THRILLED with this years first rounder.

28 Chicago Blackhawks - C Drew Shore
Team Needs: BPA
Not sure which way they'll go, but they're prettymuch loaded at all positions so Shore makes sense to me. I see him developing into something of a Jordan Staal type role on a team like Chicago that is heavy with centerman depth. Only position I can see them going after someone in is goalie, and they'd trade down to do it.
Other Possible Picks: LW Klingberg, D Erixon, LW Morin

29 Detroit Red Wings - C Kyle Palmieri
Team Needs: BPA
Another team that can simply go best player on the board. Detroit is heavy with top end forwards but could probably use another two-way guy in their system. Palmieri is far more PJ Axelsson then Daren Helm, but he'll fit right in on the wing there making for a nasty checking line when he gets the change.
Other Possible Picks: LW Klingberg, LW Morin

30 Pittsburgh Penguins - LW Jeremy Morin
Team Needs: wings
I have the Pens bucking their recent trend when it comes to drafting forwards and going with a winger in this case. He's likely BPA at this point but he also fits team need being a sniping winger that could nicely compliment either Crosby or Malkin. I could also see them going for a player like Olsen as a defensive defenseman.
Other Possible Pick: D Dylan Olsen

Round 2: coming soon.... hopefully
31 New York Islanders - D Dylan Olson
32 Tampa Bay Lightning - LW Carl Klingberg
33 Colorado Avalanche - C Marcus Johansson
34 Atlanta Thrashers - RW Richard Panik
35 Los Angeles Kings - LW Tomas Tatar
36 Phoenix Coyotes - C Ryan O'Reilly
37 New York Islanders (from Toronto) - C Joonas Nattinen
38 Dallas Stars - C Chris Brown
39 Ottawa Senators - D Stefan Elliott
40 Edmonton Oilers - C Peter Holland
41 Nashville Predators - C Philip Paradis
42 Nashville Predators (from Minnesota) - D Charles-Oliver Roussel
43 San Jose Sharks (from Buffalo) - D Dmitri Orlov
44 Florida Panthers - C Ethan Werek
45 Atlanta Thrashers (from Anaheim) - RW Toni Rajala
46 Ottawa Senators (from Columbus) - RW Josh Birkholz
47 New York Rangers (compensatory) - D Brayden McNabb
48 St. Louis Blues - G Matt Hackett
49 Colorado Avalanche (from Montreal) - G Robin Lehner
50 Toronto Maple Leafs (from NY Rangers) - W Jacob Silfverberg
51 Carolina Hurricanes (from Calgary via Los Angeles) - LW Alex Chiasson
52 Tampa Bay Lightning (from Philadelphia) - C Ryan Bourque
53 Vancouver Canucks - LW Alex Hutchings
54 New Jersey Devils - G Olivier Roy
55 Washington Capitals - D Matt Clark
56 New York Islanders (from Boston) - G Mike Lee
57 San Jose Sharks - RW Jerry D'Amigo
58 Toronto Maple Leafs (from Carolina via Buffalo) - G Igor Bobkov
59 Chicago Blackhawks - LW Kyle Clifford
60 Detroit Red Wings - D Brian Demouin
61 Pittsburgh Penguins - D Tyson Barrie

Last edited by DaveG: 06-26-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old
06-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Cory Lavalette
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Cory Lavalette
Excellent job Dave ... we have a lot of guys going to the same place, based on my first round mock at Canes Country.

Cory Lavalette is offline   Reply With Quote