HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Detroit's offer for the 1st overall pick.

Old
11-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

vCash: 500
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Detroit's offer for the 1st overall pick.

This offer isn't to any team in particular, but a draft day offer to the team with the #1 overall pick.. Detroit would pick Hedman. Do you think this is enough?

To Detroit: #1 overall pick in 09

To ______: Kronwall, Filppula, Kindl, Emmerton, 09 1st rounder

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by Redwingsfan: 11-27-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Redwingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
The only problem with posting it here is that most people are not aware of Emmerton and Kindl enough to give a complete educated opinion.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
The only problem with posting it here is that most people are not aware of Emmerton and Kindl enough to give a complete educated opinion.
I know.. I just wanted to see what fans of other teams feel about it.. I kinda get the feeling that I'm overrating Hedman here, but we'll see how it goes..

Redwingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:28 PM
McNasty

I think teams would be more interested in Franzen then Filppula, plus it would free up room for the wings to re sign Hossa.

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:32 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

The Wings are too good you are in no way allowed Hedman

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Gaels

I think that there is one major problem with this idea. (not that it isnt a good one and that those guys would not be enough because they may very well be.) The teams who would own the fist overall pick would probably be in the mist of rebuilding. I mean say the blues got the first overall pick. They wouldn't want this trade. They may trade it for picks. (so maybe a 3 way trade?) Yet, if the stars continue there spiral I think that they would go for something like this.

Gaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaels View Post
I think that there is one major problem with this idea. (not that it isnt a good one and that those guys would not be enough because they may very well be.) The teams who would own the fist overall pick would probably be in the mist of rebuilding. I mean say the blues got the first overall pick. They wouldn't want this trade. They may trade it for picks. (so maybe a 3 way trade?) Yet, if the stars continue there spiral I think that they would go for something like this.
I'll copy and paste what I said about a situation like this:

Just for arguments sake lets say Atlanta has the #1 overall pick. Their defensive core is decent with Enstrom and Hainsey but Kronwall would automatically become their #1 guy right now where it's unknown if Hedman could do that. Filppula would become their #2 center and Kindl could possibly be ready with Emmerton not far behind. Obviously Franchise players are the guys you make your money off of but you've basically just replenished your lineup by trading one unknown, albeit great, prospect.

Old
11-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I think teams would be more interested in Franzen then Filppula, plus it would free up room for the wings to re sign Hossa.
Good point, although Filppula is 24, and the Wings would be trading to a team going through a rebuild, and that team might prefer a 24 year old Filppula (signed at 3m for 5 years) compared to an unsigned Franzen who is 29 years old.

I don't know if the Wings would want to do this because Hedman has not proven himself yet.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:37 PM
VelvetJones

Detroit is not allowed at the draft for 2 years.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Aqualung

If I had first overall I'd take Kronwall, Franzen, Filpulla, Kindl and 1st easily.

Emmerton, meh.

Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Acehawk74
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'll copy and paste what I said about a situation like this:

Just for arguments sake lets say Atlanta has the #1 overall pick. Their defensive core is decent with Enstrom and Hainsey but Kronwall would automatically become their #1 guy right now where it's unknown if Hedman could do that. Filppula would become their #2 center and Kindl could possibly be ready with Emmerton not far behind. Obviously Franchise players are the guys you make your money off of but you've basically just replenished your lineup by trading one unknown, albeit great, prospect.
Problem is, looking at Atlanta, I would assume they would go for this in any other year that Tavares isn't there. Tavares and Kovalchuk would be scary stuff, and Atlanta probably would not want to give up the chance to get Tavares. Hypothetically, if Tavares wasn't in this draft, then I think the Thrashers might make this trade.

Acehawk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
last_sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
Ok, so we are having a discussion on the Wings board.. This offer isn't to any team in particular, but a draft day offer to the team with the #1 overall pick.. Detroit would pick Hedman. Do you think this is enough?

Any thoughts on this?
More information on these players

Kronwall
top 4 in detroit now (most ES minutes), assume to be in top line once lidstrom retires
27, 3M for 3 more years after this season

Flippula
centering 3rd line now due to unexpected acquisition of Hossa
Was 2nd line center last year and will be 2nd line center next year (or play on top 6 as a winger for Datsyuk or Zetterberg if Babcock decides to split them up)
24, 3M for 4 more years after this season

Kindl
Former 1st round pick
Has plenty of offensive skill but working on defensive skill
Has size (6'3 but not very physical)
2nd year in AHL
1st year in AHL was Horriable but was a runner up for D of year in his final year of OHL
Detroit's top D prospect (Some would argue Ericsson is better. True, Ericsson is more NHL ready but Kindl has higher potential)
Expected to be top 4 D at least and hopefully top 2

Emmerton
Former 2nd round pick
typical red wings' style player
good vision and puck skills
Not big or small
Is not tearing up AHL but shown some flashes
One of Detroit's few forward prospects with top 6 potential
(Helm, Abderkader are more NHL ready but they are grinders)

last_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acehawk74 View Post
Problem is, looking at Atlanta, I would assume they would go for this in any other year that Tavares isn't there. Tavares and Kovalchuk would be scary stuff, and Atlanta probably would not want to give up the chance to get Tavares. Hypothetically, if Tavares wasn't in this draft, then I think the Thrashers might make this trade.
Well we're assuming that any team with the #1 pick is taking Hedman.

Old
11-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

There isn't a team that would do that. No offense to any of those players, but when you have the chance to draft a franchise player, you take it. Even Pittsburgh and Washington, teams with multiple franchise/borderline franchise guys, would pass.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:42 PM
catters078

You shoyuld just say pick 30 rather than just "detroit 1st rounder" we all know where it will be

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Acehawk74
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well we're assuming that any team with the #1 pick is taking Hedman.
I see... well in that case, I wouldn't give Atlanta much credence realistically speaking...but in a hypothetical, then I agree with what your analysis states.

I think the team that might look really hard at this would be a team who is staggeringly light on offensive depth, and has enough defensive prospects in the system to consider passing on this. Ironically, the Lightning prior to this offseason would've been a serious team to consider that with, but the Lightning have good depth offensively (Just have to figure out how to put it together), and 3 D-men waiting in the wings to come up.

Good question, I wonder if this would work out for the Wings.

Acehawk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:44 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Ok, so we are having a discussion on the Wings board.. This offer isn't to any team in particular, but a draft day offer to the team with the #1 overall pick.. Detroit would pick Hedman. Do you think this is enough?

Any thoughts on this?
That's quite a package. I like Kronwall and Filppula, but Kindle and Emmerton are still big question marks. I think you'd be more successful offering Franzen instead of of Filppula because I see Franzen making the offer more attractive and I see Franzen taking a bigger cap hit in the long run.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I don't think the Wings would do this, forget the other team. For one thing, they have proven time and again that they don't NEED the No. 1 overall pick to find No. 1 overall type talent.

Secondly, a high-profile player like Hedman will make an awful lot cap wise, which will become an increasingly difficult situation for them to manage. I realize Lidstrom will be gone soon and all that, but still. I think it would clash with what they have going on right now.

imo.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:45 PM
last_sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbunnyfufu View Post
If I had first overall I'd take Kronwall, Franzen, Filpulla, Kindl and 1st easily.

Emmerton, meh.
but how do the other team know they can sign Franzen?
if detroit signs franzen it would most likely have NTC in it

last_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:46 PM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
For Franzen, teams are better off waiting till the off season if the Wings don't lock him up right now and let him finish the year as a UFA.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:47 PM
hfboardsuser

I don't think it's nearly enough. There's no single player in that deal comes even close to being a #1 defender or a top-line forward, and that's what the team drafting first overall would want.

The Philly-Quebec trade provides a good template:

Peter Forsberg, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, 1st '93, 1st '94

Young backup goalie, 4th overall pick from the year before, 25 year-old defender, 26 year-old defender, 1st '09, '10, 11

The closest Detroit could come is this:

Howard, Kindl, Kronwall, McCollum, Emmerton, 1st '10, '11

Even then, if I'm picking first, I still don't take it.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Birko19

There's no way the Wings would trade away Kronwall and Filppula along with all that youth just to take a gamble on Hedman, that's too retarded and we know that Holland ain't that.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acehawk74 View Post
Hypothetically, if Tavares wasn't in this draft, then I think the Thrashers might make this trade.
Well, if a Tavares/Hedman type wasn't in this draft, Red Wings fans wouldn't be making such a proposal. You gotta give to get.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:48 PM
IslesUK

Quote:

Any thoughts on this?
Islanders will take McCarty, Stuart and your 2nd '09

IslesUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Pure

Team who sucks enough to get the first overall pick wouldn't be looking for depth or a group of quality talent, they would be looking for a franchise center piece so I don't think the package is enough.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote