HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

A star for Edm

Old
11-28-2008, 01:25 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2time View Post
But what happened to all those cocky Edmonton fans at the begging of the season predicting their Oilers winning the northwest???
I thought u guys were jam packed with superstars?

That splat you just heard was Cole and Penner forgetting how to play, gagner, Nilsson and Coglino having the sophmore jinx, the three headmonster eating the children and no D-man being a shut down d-man

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 01:25 AM
Pure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Gilbert has produced despite not playing well, and on a team that isn't scoring goals.
The D core (his defense partners) are still scoring. Gilbert hasn't had any spectacular games in my eyes, while was bad in one or two. Just not one of those players you really notice on a nightly basis like he should be at his salary level. And I've watched a lot of oiler games this season, except for the PPV (they lose those anyways).

Quote:
Garon has not even played bad, just mediocre. Roloson played terrible for stretches and the coach kept playing him to help him work himself of of it. Garon sits 14 games. That is a reflection of coaching not the goalie. We saw what garon can do last yr.
Like I said, he deserves more chances, but lets not act like he hasn't been given any chances. He got starts after breaks, he was treated like a number 1 in October. Should he get more chances now? Hell Yes. But Roli hasn't been bad either, hes been very good in a few games. Garon needs to get into a game and just absolutely steal it like a number 1 should. Mediocre isn't going to cut it.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Pure

And back on topic. Oilers shouldn't trade for a high end star at the moment. They aren't going to have that much cap room with so many guys tied up at 4-6 million contracts. If the cap goes down, its gonna be very tricky.

Old
11-28-2008, 01:45 AM
Drebs

I love how every oil fan is hitting the panick button. Offense has a lot to do with confidence and the team has none of it right now. If they can get their act together at home, which i think they will, they will make the playoffs. They are only a game under .500. We are spoiled to finally have a team that being at .500 means we are ****tin the bed. But to complete this team they need someone to play with Hemksy, who is without a doubt the face of the franchise. And they miss a guy like Jarret Stoll right now who can win faceoffs and PK.

Drebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 01:46 AM
Agent Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
And back on topic. Oilers shouldn't trade for a high end star at the moment. They aren't going to have that much cap room with so many guys tied up at 4-6 million contracts. If the cap goes down, its gonna be very tricky.
They should fire LOWE tonight and try signing Burke before the Leafs.

Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 01:47 AM
0123456789*

enjoy the Hedman sweepstakes.

really though I never did like the edmonton team going in to the season and kept saying i doubt they make the playoffs but eventually conceded on my final prediction and said they will just sqeek in. I still think they have it in them to sqeek in but they really dont have a very great team. Their goaltending is questionable, their defensive although playing alright is questionable, their offense isnt overlly bad on paper but key parts of it are young player who are nothing but a dice roll going in to the season at this point in their careers and so far their not working out.

Regarding a trade, I think they would have to be stupid to dismantle their roster. They can make some minor touch ups but other than that ruff it out for the year a try again next year if it doesnt work out and hope the key young players improve which they should. Sometimes you just have to realize that you team just might not be good enough.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 01:56 AM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebs View Post
I love how every oil fan is hitting the panick button. Offense has a lot to do with confidence and the team has none of it right now. If they can get their act together at home, which i think they will, they will make the playoffs. They are only a game under .500. We are spoiled to finally have a team that being at .500 means we are ****tin the bed. But to complete this team they need someone to play with Hemksy, who is without a doubt the face of the franchise. And they miss a guy like Jarret Stoll right now who can win faceoffs and PK.
You are ****ting the bed if you are 2 pts ahead of last place in the LEAGUE.

Old
11-28-2008, 01:56 AM
God
Free Citizen

Uh........

Gaborik for Gagner and Chorney?

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 01:57 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Wait a second...I thought Hemsky was the second coming...no wait, I'm sorry it's Gagner.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 02:04 AM
FiveFourteenSixOne
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Wait a second...I thought Hemsky was the second coming...no wait, I'm sorry it's Gagner.
He is. If you'd watched any Oilers games you'd realize he's taken the next step. The problem has everything to do with EVERY OTHER forward on the team playing like ****. Replace Hemsky with Ovechkin, Crosby or Malkin, and the Oilers are so brutal they're still nowhere near a playoff caliber team.

FiveFourteenSixOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
The D core (his defense partners) are still scoring. Gilbert hasn't had any spectacular games in my eyes, while was bad in one or two. Just not one of those players you really notice on a nightly basis like he should be at his salary level. And I've watched a lot of oiler games this season, except for the PPV (they lose those anyways).
If you watch as many Oilers games as you say you do, you would know that Gilbert's defensive partner 5 on 5 and most nights on the powerplay is Grebeshkov(1 goal and 8 points in 18 games). It's not like Gilbert is getting easy points playing with Souray or Visnovsky.

As for his game...it's been good. You mentioned in another post that Gilbert hasn't been physical this season. He's on pace to have about 43 hits this season which is up from the 27 hits he had last season. Gilbert has never been physical. He plays a Lidstrom style of game. He relies on positioning, an active stick and being efficient.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of the Cup View Post
He is. If you'd watched any Oilers games you'd realize he's taken the next step. The problem has everything to do with EVERY OTHER forward on the team playing like ****. Replace Hemsky with Ovechkin, Crosby or Malkin, and the Oilers are so brutal they're still nowhere near a playoff caliber team.
That's partly the point. There's a problem as a whole with the team and a star player isn't going to change that.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 08:17 AM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

what happen to Penner? i mean you guys stole one from the Ducks with that offer sheet. i thought he was going to carry the team because of what he did in the playoffs with the Ducks. remember he carried Perry and Getzlaf, they werent going to be the same since he left. and what about Cole? remember that trade and how the Canes were a joke for making it.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 08:24 AM
OilChuck
The Golden Ticket

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've only seen two trade proposals. We know Edmonton has issues. Hemsky is a star! But he needs a supporting cast. This is a trade thread not a fire mac T and not a "I told you so thread"! Please if your gonna post make it a trade! Yeah we know Edm sucks right now. Read the Edmonton boards and thats all you get! Please post trade offers and what you think of any deals. Thank you!!!

OilChuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Spoke

I love how this thread has degraded to Oiler bashing.

Oilers will make the playoffs.

Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Ronald Pagan

At least Edmonton has its own draft pick this year and doesn't need to play the lights out in the last 15 games to save themselves from ultimate humiliation. Although, Oilers fans should be used to it by now.

Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Ronald Pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking
I love how people play stupid. In the offseason most agreed that it would come down to the Oilers and Flames. Now everyone acts like they saw Gagner being on pace for 19 points the whole time. Most thought a sophomore slump for him would be about 40 points. Apparently now everyone new Cole would be on pace for about 10 goals and 30 points.
Classic.

Most people agreed it would come down to Oilers and Flames? You mean most Oilers fans agreed? There's so freaking many on this board that it can be confusing when you fail to realize that the amount of people on here doesn't represent an accurate cross section at all.

Oh and alot of people questioned Gagner's production this year. First it's sophmore slump territory, second, there's alot more pressure to produce and be a player.

As per Cole, lots of people were questioning him too. He came off a so-so injury filled season. He was hardly a sure thing and many people said as such.

Wow, the world sure looks copper and blue eh?

Old
11-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Pagan View Post
Classic.

Most people agreed it would come down to Oilers and Flames? You mean most Oilers fans agreed? There's so freaking many on this board that it can be confusing when you fail to realize that the amount of people on here doesn't represent an accurate cross section at all.
Sorry but most were saying that the Oilers had improved, Flames were about the same, Wild lost too much, Canucks had no offense and the Avalanche would get no where with their goaltending. Go back and check out the countless threads and polls from the summer.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=544159

Quote:
Oh and alot of people questioned Gagner's production this year. First it's sophmore slump territory, second, there's alot more pressure to produce and be a player.
I don't remember anyone expecting him to finish the season with 20 points. Most people were predicting that if he fell into a sophomore slump he would finish with about 40 points which would be a step down from his 49 last season...lets not forget that he was a point per game in the final 30 games of last season so a 40 point season would have been a step back.

Quote:
As per Cole, lots of people were questioning him too. He came off a so-so injury filled season. He was hardly a sure thing and many people said as such.
He had 22 goals and 51 points last season. I'd say that's an above average season unless you have incredible expectations for him. Injury filled season? He missed 9 games. 4 with a foot injury, 4 after he went head first into a goalies pads and then one game because of the flu.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Phillybean

I think what Wheatking is saying is that the media, from various outlets are predicted a Oiler/Flame battle for top of the division. It could still happen, although unlikely.

The Oilers are playing poorly right now. Frankly, with the exception of Hemsky, none of our forwards have shown up. I personally feel that this is a coaching issue, as do many other Oiler fans. Here are the Oilers weaknesses:

Goaltending - Garon should be our #1, had a couple bad games and hasn't been given the chance to redeeem himself. IMO, our coach F***ED up this situation. Roloson was given lots of wiggle room last year, even though Garon was clearly the better goalie. This year, not so much. A MacT hate on for Garon.

KID Line - Played great at the end of last year. This year, all are going thru worse slumps than we could have thought.

Horcoff - You can tell his timing is off due to his shoulder injury. We were all hoping/expecting that he would come in and be the same player that went to the allstar game last year, but that hasn't happened.

Cole - More time adjusting to this team/offense than we thought. Again, I blame MacT for mismanaging Cole as a player (switching to LW to start the reason, then playing him on the 3rd line etc.)

And I'm sick and tired of the f***ing Oiler/Fan bashing. Our team isn't playing well, we know it. We admit it. We know what the problems are. We disagree how to fix them, but we know they are problems. Does it help you f***ing ego to rub our nose in and say "I told you so"?

Grow the ******* up.

Phillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Ronald Pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillybean View Post

And I'm sick and tired of the f***ing Oiler/Fan bashing. Our team isn't playing well, we know it. We admit it. We know what the problems are. We disagree how to fix them, but we know they are problems. Does it help you f***ing ego to rub our nose in and say "I told you so"?
I think there would be alot less bashing if the fan base had a little humility about itself. It seems every offseason the fanbase goes off the rails predicting success over teams that have shown to be consistently better than them over the past 5 years.

This season is no different. Tempered expectations get alot less "I told you sos."

I mean that ridiculous poll showing Oilers finishing 3rd in West and blah blah just stand out. Can't people on this board evaluate their teams with some realism?

Old
11-28-2008, 11:58 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Gomez for Hemsky?

As a Ranger fan, I'd be very interested in something built around Cogliano. Any ideas? Consider Lundqvist, Staal, Dubinsky, and Girardi the only untouchables.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:06 PM
dougd

So you need a star?

Havlat is playing great, the injury problems seem to be behind him......hopefully.

So: Havlat, Kontiola,M Blunden

for
Cogliano, Schremp,Smid

Risk/reward is high for both teams.
Of course, EDM will need pre-negotiation rights for Havlat before deal finalized.

dougd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Phillybean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Pagan View Post
I think there would be alot less bashing if the fan base had a little humility about itself. It seems every offseason the fanbase goes off the rails predicting success over teams that have shown to be consistently better than them over the past 5 years.

This season is no different. Tempered expectations get alot less "I told you sos."

I mean that ridiculous poll showing Oilers finishing 3rd in West and blah blah just stand out. Can't people on this board evaluate their teams with some realism?
I agree there are a lot of homers on this board, but IMO, the people most critical of the Oilers are people on the Oilers board. Even when we started the season 3-0 I felt we were playing like crap.

If Edmonton had two of Cole, Penner, Horcoff, Gagner, Cogs, Nilson playing at their peak from last year, the team and standings would be different. Not sure if we would be on top of the Northwest, but at least contending for it. It isnt realistic to expect this team to be where it is, giving how it looks on paper.

Old
11-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Phillybean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougd View Post
So you need a star?

Havlat is playing great, the injury problems seem to be behind him......hopefully.

So: Havlat, Kontiola,M Blunden

for
Cogliano, Schremp,Smid

Risk/reward is high for both teams.
Of course, EDM will need pre-negotiation rights for Havlat before deal finalized.
I would do this.

Old
11-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Wasn't Frolov supposed to be better than Hemsky? Oh wait.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote