HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The New York Rangers trade Alexei Kovalev to Montreal to Jozef Balej and a '04 2nd

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2004, 12:53 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Nice way to cut our depth chart , a top 5 scorer in the AHL who's just had play 4 freaking games in the NHL on a line with Perrault and Langdon most of the time and a mid-second round pick for a UFA , and he's not even a gritty one .
Next year when Kovalev will be gone he will have a smaller trade margin to go after a true gritty player ( yes i'm talking about a guy like O'neill and Smyth ..btw they better not be dealt this year for less or i'm gonna cry ) Savard must be as pissed as me right now .

On another side i'm pettry sure Gillets is smiling like a kid right now , i'm pettry sure he's the reason why we got him . Recently the team said that we needed 3 playoffs rounds to makes money and then they trade for someone who makes more than Theodore ! Gainey overpaid badly for Kovalev , we are not in a situation like Ottawa or Colorado .

That's being said the Rangers have a pettry bad developping reputation ( Lundmark , Brendl ect ) but let's hope Balej turn the heat there he was sent down the 1st day or so , he pulled a Ryder(great in the A after so-so year) this year and this is how he's rewarded . Now let's trade Plekanec for Lyle Odelein :mad:

Old
03-03-2004, 12:55 AM
Carbonneau

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Your just upset because you'll have to change you name

Old
03-03-2004, 12:59 AM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau
Your just upset because you'll have to change you name
2 biggest losers in this deal:

1. Josef Balej... The player
2. Josef Balej... The poster

Old
03-03-2004, 01:01 AM
Jag68Sid87

Correction. Kovalev will in fact be a UFA this summer, not an RFA because he's already turned 31. Therefore, the Habs will in fact be compensated if Kovalev signs elsewhere. And, as a UFA, it helps the Habs re-sign him for less if he is more comfortable.

Still think the price was too high but it looks a little better for Gainey and Co.

Old
03-03-2004, 01:02 AM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier
2 biggest losers in this deal:

1. Josef Balej... The player
2. Josef Balej... The poster

True, Balej the player will be mis-treated like Lundmark and Cloutier.

Balej the poster, is freaking out right now

Old
03-03-2004, 01:09 AM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Nice way to cut our depth chart , a top 5 scorer in the AHL who's just had play 4 freaking games in the NHL on a line with Perrault and Langdon most of the time and a mid-second round pick for a UFA , and he's not even a gritty one .
Next year when Kovalev will be gone he will have a smaller trade margin to go after a true gritty player ( yes i'm talking about a guy like O'neill and Smyth ..btw they better not be dealt this year for less or i'm gonna cry ) Savard must be as pissed as me right now .

On another side i'm pettry sure Gillets is smiling like a kid right now , i'm pettry sure he's the reason why we got him . Recently the team said that we needed 3 playoffs rounds to makes money and then they trade for someone who makes more than Theodore ! Gainey overpaid badly for Kovalev , we are not in a situation like Ottawa or Colorado .

That's being said the Rangers have a pettry bad developping reputation ( Lundmark , Brendl ect ) but let's hope Balej turn the heat there he was sent down the 1st day or so , he pulled a Ryder(great in the A after so-so year) this year and this is how he's rewarded . Now let's trade Plekanec for Lyle Odelein :mad:
It's either: we traded Balej for a couple of months of the best stickhandler in the game.

Or: we traded Balej and a second for the best stickhandler in the game, period.

We're getting our 2nd back if he doesn't sign (well, a compensatory one...) and if Balej ever amounts to anything close to Kovalev, I'll be shocked.

I love Balej but Kovalev is that much better...

Kastsitsyn, Perezhogin, Ryder, Zednik, Milroy (he'll start producing now that he'll have ice time, just wait..), Ferland, Ward... I think we'll cope with Balej's departure. He's highly skilled but wasn't our top prospect on the RW and Ryder has already earned the 2nd line RW spot, at least.

Old
03-03-2004, 01:24 AM
Alex Kovalev

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
Am I the only one who is not happy about this trade, Gainey gave up one of the most exciting prospect right now, for who??? an overpaid bigger Audette. Man I am mad

Give me a break man, how can you not be excited. I cant believe your comparing Kovalev to Audette. Kovalev is one of the premier offensive players in the nhl. I am glad he is out of that hole.

Old
03-03-2004, 02:31 AM
Habsolution

The positives :

1- We get a guy whose career high for goals, assists and points in both the regular season and playoffs is higher by a pretty wide margin than anything we have on our roster.

2- This season's Kovalev is still way more effective on the top line than Bulis no matter how you slice it. I love Bulis but the problem with JB is that he can't shoot the darn puck home and that's a major problem when you're a first line winger playing with a playmaking smallish center. He has Bulis speed but he can handle, pass and shoot the puck much better than Bulis ever has or ever will be able to.

3- Kovalev has had some pretty good playoffs. He brings some good PO experience to this rather young and inexperienced line up.

4- Even if Kovalev only helps us to get past our first opponent in the playoffs it's better than nothing. Every game we'll play with Kovalev that we wouldn't have been able to play without him is experience for young guys like Ribeiro, Ryder, Markov, Zednik, Souray, Bégin and co. This experience will prove to be invaluable for future playoffs appearances. It'll also give an opportunity to Gainey to better evaluate our young players in the PO. Are they bringing it or not ? Some people are pissed because that's the kind of moves only contenders make, not teams that are rebuilding, but I think that this move is also good for the future and we can't be rebuilding forever. It's been 5-6 years now that we suck the big one. It's about time we're respectable again.

5- This is the kind of move that gives us the making of a cinderella team for the playoffs.

6- This really helps our PP (who was struggling a little bit) and it puts an end to the Koivu on the point experience. I liked it for a while but he wasn't getting it done anymore. I like this PP

------Ribeiro------
Koivu-------Ryder
--Kovalev-Markov--

7- We get a fellow russian countrymen for Markov.

8- Contrarily to popular belief we didn't pay such a high price. We have got plenty of guys like Balej in our system. He has speed to burn, an awesome slap and wrist shot but he's a smallish winger and a perimeter player with 2nd line upside. Even if he had panned out I'm not sure I was really seeing a place for him on our line up. We're pretty young as it is with Ribs and Ryder already playing with the habs and guys like Perezhogin, Higgins and Kastsitsyn coming up. Bottom line he was expendable.

9- I guess they'll play him with Koivu now. So finally Sax get a true 1st liner to play with. It's been a long time since Recchi....

The negatives

1. We still need grit on the top 2 lines.

2. He's just a rental

I'm quite satisfied.

Old
03-03-2004, 03:05 AM
MoS*

ranger win habs lose.
i love the habs so i am very disapointed.
last season kovalev was a rfa to be and....

new york acquired him for fata, lindner and samuelsson?

why did montreal pay a top prospect in balej and a mid-range 2nd rounder for him?

a gross overpayment. kovalev is an ufa to be that makes 7.5 mils. if the habs wanted kovalev they should have acquired him last year. i am sure he wouldn't ask for more than 7.5 mils if he was on the habs

Old
03-03-2004, 03:12 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoS
ranger win habs lose.

why did montreal pay a top prospect in balej and a mid-range 2nd rounder for him?

a gross overpayment. kovalev is an ufa to be that makes 7.5 mils. if the habs wanted kovalev they should have acquired him last year. i am sure he wouldn't ask for more than 7.5 mils if he was on the habs
trust me !! montreal has future plan with Kovalev !!
if not ... well what a steal by the rags

Old
03-03-2004, 03:35 AM
Safir*

Bravo Habs!

I love this deal. Hopefully Kovalev can become the player he was during his Penguins-days.

Finally the Rangers are doing something right. Good job done, by aquiring a good F-prospect and a high pick, which never hurts.

Old
03-03-2004, 04:56 AM
GarretJoseph

Thank You God!!

As a NYR fan I'm delighted just to rid this player of our roster. He was gutless the whole season, took stupid penalties (took one in OT the other night)... this is an addition by subtraction for the NYR. We were not planning on signing him at the end of the season and just GETTING ANYTHING for this guy was a great move. I USE to love Kovy, I thought of him as one of the most skilled players in the world...maybe its the pressure of NYC and if thats the case, tis only gonna get worse in Montreal where Hockey is the #1 sport. Kovalev didn't play well with Lindros, Holik, Nedved or Messier. He needs simple players to play with him, go to the net guys, guys that will open the ice for him.

Kovalev - 13 GOALS IN 66 GAMES.
Kinda sad when Messier (16g), Simon (13g), Ruckinsky (13g) & Holik (18g) all have equal or more goals than our suppose to top goal getter (until we landed Jagr).....

GONE AT LAST!!!!!

Old
03-03-2004, 05:01 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

You compare this deal with last year's deal with Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoS
ranger win habs lose.

The Penguins were not looking talent back as much as salary relief. The Rangers were able to not only pay for Kovalev, but also take the salaries of Laukkenen and Wilson, plus kick $4 million into the deal. It was a money deal which allowed Pittsburgh financial relief.

Old
03-03-2004, 05:03 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
The Penguins were not looking talent back as much as salary relief. The Rangers were able to not only pay for Kovalev, but also take the salaries of Laukkenen and Wilson, plus kick $4 million into the deal. It was a money deal which allowed Pittsburgh financial relief.

Besides, Rico Fata has the same amount of goals Kovy does? 4 Million plus taking all those contracts....I effin hate Sather! but at least hes starting to REBUILD..I hope...

Old
03-03-2004, 06:24 AM
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
I'd guess Koivu and Zednik. Nice offensive line for sure.

It's always hard to give so much (good prospect + 2nd) for a rental though. Balej IMO is going to be good. Of course it's not that hard to swallow for Habs fans since there's so much similar prospects in the system with good to great potential (Plekanec, Kastsitsyn and Perezhogin most notably).

I think Kovalev might actually give the Habs a chance to go pass the 1st round if Souray comes back in time and Theodore stays hot. This alone makes it worth.

Good trade for the Habs for sure as they get some much needed offensive boost and good trade for NY too who might finally be coming to their senses and realize you have to build an organization on youth and not only bought superstars.

An other important thing is this will give Markov a countryman buddy. His struggles, coincidence or not, started when his friend Petrov was traded away last year. He's doing well now, but having someone to talk in your own language in the team will sure boost his morale, which is important since he's the #1 Dman now that Souray's injured.
this trade is balej for kovalev straight up if kovalev doesn't resign we get a second round pick as compensation

Old
03-03-2004, 06:33 AM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau
Great trade for us tonight, we gave up a good prospect, but we have several that have top 2 line potential in Higgins, Perehozign, Kastiysyn,.

A defensman is what we need now to take this run seriously.

Congrats to Gainey
how about tom poti! throw in a bag a pucks , i'll drive him to montreal myself!

Old
03-03-2004, 06:51 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Good trade for both teams. A little more risky for the Habs, but to get a player of Kovys talent you have to give something up. If he can regain his old form, the Habs will be really happy with this deal. If he doesn't and isn't qualified, then it wont look as that good of a trade.

Old
03-03-2004, 06:57 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

He's a UFA at season's end

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
Good trade for both teams. A little more risky for the Habs, but to get a player of Kovys talent you have to give something up. If he can regain his old form, the Habs will be really happy with this deal. If he doesn't and isn't qualified, then it wont look as that good of a trade.
He doesn't have to be qualified.

Old
03-03-2004, 07:45 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Good deal for Montreal. He might give the PP a real boost.

And I wouldn't be so sure he is a rental. There are a lot of contracts running out this season. Not all of them can go to a big team and sign a big contract this summer, since I assume every team wants to bring down salary levels + keep their core guys around. I expect to see quite a few big names sign smaller contracts for smaller teams. I wouldn't count out Kovalev resigning with Montreal for 4-4.5M if he does ok there now.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:10 AM
balddog66

I like how the habs are making a statement with this trade, but I think Kovalev will play the worst hockey of his career in Montreal. He doesn't play well when he's in the spotlight, he'll have to deal with the french culture and the impatient montreal fans...hopefully he proves me wrong, but I don't think he'll make any sort of impact.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:24 AM
Perry Turnbull

Yes we needed a power forward much more than a scoring winger.
But it STILL is Alexei Kovalev. WOW !
And Balej is great, but Balej, Kats, Higgins, Perez, Plekanec, Milroy, etc... can't all make it to our top two lines. So it is important to recognize that and to use these assets as trade bait when an opportunity like that passes by. I mean if Kovy allows us to play just one more Home game in the playoffs, his rental fee is paid.
And it's also a statement to the players and the fan base that if we have an opportunity to go after the cup, we will take it.

As for overpaying, look at the Official Alexei Kovalev Proposal thread. Some were willing to give much more than what we gave...

Old
03-03-2004, 08:36 AM
o-dog

This came as a total surprise to me since the Habs haven't done anything like this...ever? It's an interesting deal and something to be excited about for Habs fans but, in the end, it still isn't enough for a Cup drive. Montreal just doesn't have the team for it. If they can keep Kovalev and keep developing their young talent, this will prove to be an excellent move. If not, they wasted a prospect on a guy who is not the one to put them over the top. I don't think there is one player that could put this team over the top this year...Eric Lindros in his prime maybe

Old
03-03-2004, 08:40 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo
I agree, seems like Montreal ovepaid, especially since he'll be a UFA and he's already having a subpar season (by his standards)
i almost agree with this, but it depends on what Kovi plays like over the next 2 months. if he's the guy that played in Pitt than they did well. i would add that it pays off if he helps the team make it to at least the eastern conf finals.

that said, obviously this is a rental. i can't imagine Montreal paying to retain him under any circumstance unless he accepts a drastic paycut, which, based on his last 2 years of play, he should.

Old
03-03-2004, 09:07 AM
Big Bill

Send a message via ICQ to Big Bill Send a message via MSN to Big Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou
this trade is balej for kovalev straight up if kovalev doesn't resign we get a second round pick as compensation
That is not necessarily true. I think the compensation pick depends on how much the player signs for and if the team he left signs any UFAs. That is why the Rags never get any picks. They sign too many UFAs.

It is going to depends how much money kovalev signs for. For every dollar he gets, the NHL gives him 1/100th of a point, then ranks all the players. Points are added for awards (all star, mvp, etc... which kovalev is none this year). Then the picks are awarded according to this list

http://letsgopens.com/nhl_cba.php?id=46

(c) The position of a Compensatory Draft Selection shall be
determined by a CFAs percentile ranking pursuant to 2(d) above
and the following provisions:

(1) Clubs that lost a CFA within the top 5% of all
League players shall receive a Compensatory Draft Selection no
earlier than the 11th selection in the second round of the
Entry Draft.

(2) Clubs that lost a CFA below the top 5% of all
League Players but within the top 10% shall receive a
Compensatory Draft Selection following the 52nd selection in the
Entry Draft.

(3) Clubs that lost a CFA below the top 10% of all
League Players but within the top 15% shall receive a
Compensatory Draft Selection following the 78th selection in the
Entry Draft.

(4) Clubs that lost a CFA below the top 15% of all
League Players but within the top 25% shall receive a
Compensatory Draft Selection following the 104th selection in the
Entry Draft.

(5) Clubs that lost a CFA below the top 25% of all
League Players but within the top 50% shall receive a
Compensatory Draft Selection following the 130th selection in the
Entry Draft.

(6) Clubs that lost a CFA below the top 50% of all
League Players but within the top 75% shall receive a
Compensatory Draft Selection following the 156th selection in the
Entry Draft.

(7) Clubs that lost a CFA below the top 75% of all
League Players shall receive a Compensatory Draft Selection
following the 234th selection in the Entry Draft.

(8) The exact slot, subject to the above guidelines
and availability of Compensatory Draft Selections, shall be
determined by the Commissioner prior to the Entry Draft.

Old
03-03-2004, 09:28 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Gutsy move by the Habs. The type of move that teams that want to win make.
Trots the Habs gave up a nice prospect and 2nd in a decent draft to rent Kovolav.

the Sens gave up a nice prospect and 2nd in a decent draft for Bondra(with a team option for next yr)

Big difference beteen giving up a good prospect and 2nd vs. giving up a 4x nhl all-star d-man and gritty 25 goal scorer for a rental.

Closed Thread