HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Has Andrei Kostitsyn been diagnosed with Afinogenovitis yet?

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Habs

vCash: 500
Has Andrei Kostitsyn been diagnosed with Afinogenovitis yet?

I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure that is what he has. Look at the symptons of Afinogenovitis :

1. Flashes of brilliance - check
2. One great year - check
3. Avoids high traffic areas - check
4. Over-handles the puck - check
5. Refusal to backcheck - check
6. Demonstrates little emotion - check

On second thought, Kovalev may have this disease as well.

Old
11-28-2008, 03:36 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure that is what he has. Look at the symptons of Afinogenovitis :

1. Flashes of brilliance when off a line with Kovalev, and especially on RW - Remedy, be away from Kovalev at least, secondary, play RW on his own line with a skilled playmaker.
2. One great year, he's broken out and young, Afinogenov had multiple seasons in the league before he broke out and has not done anything since.
3. He does not avoid high traffic areas, he did, after his hit, but now he's hitting people, going to the net, screening the goalie. Something Lats is supposed to be doing and isn't.
4. He doesn't overhandle the puck, he never gets it too handle it, which is his strength and which is why he should be put on his own line.
5. He's a great backchecker. Always wants the puck. Dogged determination, stick lifting, slashing, sneaking up from behind. You are making an assumption because he's (Bela)russian.
6. The emotion question is purely individual and if you see it that way, fine, it's debatable as emotion is something that can be interpreted different from person to person.

Old
11-28-2008, 03:36 PM
m00ks

Quote:

False diagnosis.

3. No symptoms.
4. No symptoms
5. No symptoms.
6. No symptoms.

The kid's been one of our best forwards the past 4-5 games. Stop watching the scoresheet and start watching the games.

Old
11-28-2008, 03:37 PM
andreconstantin

Send a message via Skype™ to andreconstantin
I agree but it's a bit early to say he had '' one great year '' when he is at the beginning of his career at 23. I don't think he avoids high traffic but your other points are valid. He doesn't show much emotion but sometimes he does try to give an effort. It's also hard for him in the defensive zone this season. It's still early in the season but if he starts clicking with Pleky and Kovy, he will start racking up the points again.

Old
11-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Mue

If I had a overused and unoriginal GIF (is that what they're called?) to post that conveyed how completely wrong you were I would post that.

Old
11-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Roulin

Quote:

Seems to me you're describing a Euro stereotype, rather than Kostitsyn. Andrei hasn't been shy about contact, IMO, he just hasn't been able to slow the game down in the offensive zone like you'd expect from a top notch scorer.

Old
11-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Haddock

It's only his second full season. Call it sophomore jinx. Afinogenov is way past that.

Old
11-28-2008, 03:43 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Andrei Kostitsyn total amount of goals in first full season: 26

Maxim Afinogenov career high in goals: 23

Great comparison.

Old
11-28-2008, 03:43 PM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
False diagnosis.

3. No symptoms.
4. No symptoms
5. No symptoms.
6. No symptoms.

The kid's been one of our best forwards the past 4-5 games. Stop watching the scoresheet and start watching the games.
I agree with this statement. Its only a matter of time before they start going in.

Old
11-28-2008, 03:48 PM
TheGoalJudge

It's imperative that A.Kost plays RW on a line away from Kovalev. He is so much better there, he's dynamic and creative. All his highlight goals come from the RW anyway. Remember that goal against WAS last year?

Old
11-28-2008, 03:48 PM
King Kovalev

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
1. Flashes of brilliance when off a line with Kovalev, and especially on RW - Remedy, be away from Kovalev at least, secondary, play RW on his own line with a skilled playmaker.
2. One great year, he's broken out and young, Afinogenov had multiple seasons in the league before he broke out and has not done anything since.
3. He does not avoid high traffic areas, he did, after his hit, but now he's hitting people, going to the net, screening the goalie. Something Lats is supposed to be doing and isn't.
4. He doesn't overhandle the puck, he never gets it too handle it, which is his strength and which is why he should be put on his own line.
5. He's a great backchecker. Always wants the puck. Dogged determination, stick lifting, slashing, sneaking up from behind. You are making an assumption because he's (Bela)russian.
6. The emotion question is purely individual and if you see it that way, fine, it's debatable as emotion is something that can be interpreted different from person to person.
Is this like the time you said OByrne would steal Bouillons spot on D ?? I hope youre wrong on all youre points..

Old
11-28-2008, 03:51 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kovalev View Post
Is this like the time you said OByrne would steal Bouillons spot on D ?? I hope youre wrong on all youre points..
Hmm. Considering we were coming into the season with our defence being Markov, KOmisarek, Hamrlik, O'Byrne, Gorges, Bouillon and Brisebois. There is no way I would make that statement.

If you mean in the future, then yes, I did say that. Because in terms of upside a big, well skating defenceman is a lot more valuable than a small, well skating defenceman. Especially when one is younger and costs a lot less. You mind stepping out, kiddie, instead of waiting in the shadows trying to jump and bash me, how about you formulate an opinion? Or is that trying? Something you and your little idol know little about.

Old
11-28-2008, 03:51 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
It's imperative that A.Kost plays RW on a line away from Kovalev. He is so much better there, he's dynamic and creative. All his highlight goals come from the RW anyway. Remember that goal against WAS last year?
Also the fact pretty much every time he gets the puck in the neutral zone he always tries to bring the puck up the right side.

Old
11-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Andrei is back with the tempo he had at the beginning of the season before his injury, i.e. he's hungry for the puck and chippy. The points will come, and if not, he's still making himself hard to play against.

In fact, he reminds me of how he was playing in the WJC before Timmins draft him. I recall a game against the US I think when he was the best player on the ice and the US D.

Old
11-28-2008, 03:52 PM
mcphee

Quote:

You're just jealous of his hair. You also have a long standing grudge against Belarus and seeing him game after game riles you so.

Sometimes I like to finish a sentence with so.

Now Marc Tardif, that was an unemotional player.

Old
11-28-2008, 03:53 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
You're just jealous of his hair. You also have a long standing grudge against Belarus and seeing him game after game riles you so.

Sometimes I like to finish a sentence with so.

Now Marc Tardif, that was an unemotional player.
What about beginning and ending a sentence with so?

"How are you, man?"
"So-So."

Old
11-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Lone Rogue

Andrei had a slow start last season.

Same to Plekanec.

Stop whining. They have better second halfs. Besides, their "play aside from scoring" has been extremely good. So what if they look like a second line now.

Old
11-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Man the weather is just too cold, can't wait to head So.

Old
11-28-2008, 03:57 PM
gillyguzzler

Andrei has one of the quickest releases and one of the hardest shots I have ever seen. Once he starts to use it more often, he will score a bunch. I'd rather see him play RW with his brother and Plek but Carbo doesn't see it my way and he's got quite a bit more of a say.

Old
11-28-2008, 03:58 PM
HabsHockey

Compairing a 2nd year player to a 10 year vet?

And Kovy has his own disease which he has had his whole career.

Old
11-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Etienne

6. Certain players are just better when they distance themselves from their emotions and kinda "think like a professional". Others are at their best when they're emotionally involved in a game.

For example, compare Ovechkin and Crosby. Or if you're an Als fan, you'll remember that the greatest CFL running back in recent memory, Mike Pringle, didn't even smile after he scored touchdowns. He just let go of the ball, let his teammates pat him on the helmet and run to the sidelines.

Emotions and intensity are 2 different things entirely. Andrei Kostitsyn doesn't show his emotions a lot, but he doesn't lack intensity.

Old
11-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kovalev View Post
No actually he's right on all his points, and O'Byrne will take Bouillon's spot with time, I mean in the top6, as they don't even play on the same side. Gorges is the one who will take Bouillon's spot in the 3rd pairing.

Go take a walk, you need it.

Naturally, because Kovalev is not doing as good as he can be, the Kovalev fanboys are trying to find scapegoats.

I don't have any trouble with Kovy, Pleks or AKost, they will find their game together eventually, so would everyone grow-up and stop trying to find who's guilty, because any comment like that is tainted with huge bias, as the OP has shown with his poor attempt at an analysis.

Old
11-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
And Kovy has his own disease which he has had his whole career.
Yeah, that one's different, it's called every-other-seasonal-disorder.

I kid, I love Kovy alone for the playoffs.

Old
11-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
No actually he's right on all his points, and O'Byrne will take Bouillon's spot with time, I mean in the top6, as they don't even play on the same side. Gorges is the one who will take Bouillon's spot in the 3rd pairing.

Go take a walk, you need it.

Naturally, because Kovalev is not doing as good as he can be, the Kovalev fanboys are trying to find scapegoats.

I don't have any trouble with Kovy, Pleks or AKost, they will find their game together eventually, so would everyone grow-up and stop trying to find who's guilty, because any comment like that is tainted with huge bias, as the OP has shown with his poor attempt at an analysis.
Very well said

This makes me think of all the ranting everyone was doing about Price showing no emotions... what does it matter as long as he's intense on the ice... wth

Old
11-28-2008, 04:12 PM
jiboy
Patience

vCash: 50
You are way off on this one.

AK is a physical player, he doesn't show a whole lot of emotions but hes giving his best effort most of the time.

Refuse to backcheck????? Where did you get this one?

He's also far from overhandling the puck..even carbo is asking him to shoot more..hes got good vision and yes he will go for the fancy pass too often but hes not overhandling like mm Kovalev.

Closed Thread