HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Has Andrei Kostitsyn been diagnosed with Afinogenovitis yet?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-28-2008, 03:30 PM
  #1
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,938
vCash: 500
Has Andrei Kostitsyn been diagnosed with Afinogenovitis yet?

I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure that is what he has. Look at the symptons of Afinogenovitis :

1. Flashes of brilliance - check
2. One great year - check
3. Avoids high traffic areas - check
4. Over-handles the puck - check
5. Refusal to backcheck - check
6. Demonstrates little emotion - check


On second thought, Kovalev may have this disease as well.

Habs is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:36 PM
  #2
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,726
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure that is what he has. Look at the symptons of Afinogenovitis :

1. Flashes of brilliance - check
2. One great year - check
3. Avoids high traffic areas - check
4. Over-handles the puck - check
5. Refusal to backcheck - check
6. Demonstrates little emotion - check


On second thought, Kovalev may have this disease as well.
1. Flashes of brilliance when off a line with Kovalev, and especially on RW - Remedy, be away from Kovalev at least, secondary, play RW on his own line with a skilled playmaker.
2. One great year, he's broken out and young, Afinogenov had multiple seasons in the league before he broke out and has not done anything since.
3. He does not avoid high traffic areas, he did, after his hit, but now he's hitting people, going to the net, screening the goalie. Something Lats is supposed to be doing and isn't.
4. He doesn't overhandle the puck, he never gets it too handle it, which is his strength and which is why he should be put on his own line.
5. He's a great backchecker. Always wants the puck. Dogged determination, stick lifting, slashing, sneaking up from behind. You are making an assumption because he's (Bela)russian.
6. The emotion question is purely individual and if you see it that way, fine, it's debatable as emotion is something that can be interpreted different from person to person.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:36 PM
  #3
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure that is what he has. Look at the symptons of Afinogenovitis :

1. Flashes of brilliance - check
2. One great year - check
3. Avoids high traffic areas - check
4. Over-handles the puck - check
5. Refusal to backcheck - check
6. Demonstrates little emotion - check


On second thought, Kovalev may have this disease as well.
False diagnosis.

3. No symptoms.
4. No symptoms
5. No symptoms.
6. No symptoms.

The kid's been one of our best forwards the past 4-5 games. Stop watching the scoresheet and start watching the games.

m00ks is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:37 PM
  #4
andreconstantin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: mtl
Country: Canada
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to andreconstantin
I agree but it's a bit early to say he had '' one great year '' when he is at the beginning of his career at 23. I don't think he avoids high traffic but your other points are valid. He doesn't show much emotion but sometimes he does try to give an effort. It's also hard for him in the defensive zone this season. It's still early in the season but if he starts clicking with Pleky and Kovy, he will start racking up the points again.

andreconstantin is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:39 PM
  #5
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
If I had a overused and unoriginal GIF (is that what they're called?) to post that conveyed how completely wrong you were I would post that.

Mue is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:40 PM
  #6
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure that is what he has. Look at the symptons of Afinogenovitis :

1. Flashes of brilliance - check
2. One great year - check
3. Avoids high traffic areas - check
4. Over-handles the puck - check
5. Refusal to backcheck - check
6. Demonstrates little emotion - check
Seems to me you're describing a Euro stereotype, rather than Kostitsyn. Andrei hasn't been shy about contact, IMO, he just hasn't been able to slow the game down in the offensive zone like you'd expect from a top notch scorer.

Roulin is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:42 PM
  #7
Haddock
Registered User
 
Haddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moulinsart
Posts: 2,130
vCash: 500
It's only his second full season. Call it sophomore jinx. Afinogenov is way past that.

Haddock is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:43 PM
  #8
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,210
vCash: 500
Andrei Kostitsyn total amount of goals in first full season: 26

Maxim Afinogenov career high in goals: 23

Great comparison.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:43 PM
  #9
dutchy29
Registered User
 
dutchy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
False diagnosis.

3. No symptoms.
4. No symptoms
5. No symptoms.
6. No symptoms.

The kid's been one of our best forwards the past 4-5 games. Stop watching the scoresheet and start watching the games.
I agree with this statement. Its only a matter of time before they start going in.

dutchy29 is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:48 PM
  #10
TheGoalJudge
Registered User
 
TheGoalJudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,888
vCash: 500
It's imperative that A.Kost plays RW on a line away from Kovalev. He is so much better there, he's dynamic and creative. All his highlight goals come from the RW anyway. Remember that goal against WAS last year?

TheGoalJudge is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:48 PM
  #11
King Kovalev
Registered User
 
King Kovalev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Poland
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
1. Flashes of brilliance when off a line with Kovalev, and especially on RW - Remedy, be away from Kovalev at least, secondary, play RW on his own line with a skilled playmaker.
2. One great year, he's broken out and young, Afinogenov had multiple seasons in the league before he broke out and has not done anything since.
3. He does not avoid high traffic areas, he did, after his hit, but now he's hitting people, going to the net, screening the goalie. Something Lats is supposed to be doing and isn't.
4. He doesn't overhandle the puck, he never gets it too handle it, which is his strength and which is why he should be put on his own line.
5. He's a great backchecker. Always wants the puck. Dogged determination, stick lifting, slashing, sneaking up from behind. You are making an assumption because he's (Bela)russian.
6. The emotion question is purely individual and if you see it that way, fine, it's debatable as emotion is something that can be interpreted different from person to person.
Is this like the time you said OByrne would steal Bouillons spot on D ?? I hope youre wrong on all youre points..

King Kovalev is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:51 PM
  #12
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,726
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kovalev View Post
Is this like the time you said OByrne would steal Bouillons spot on D ?? I hope youre wrong on all youre points..
Hmm. Considering we were coming into the season with our defence being Markov, KOmisarek, Hamrlik, O'Byrne, Gorges, Bouillon and Brisebois. There is no way I would make that statement.

If you mean in the future, then yes, I did say that. Because in terms of upside a big, well skating defenceman is a lot more valuable than a small, well skating defenceman. Especially when one is younger and costs a lot less. You mind stepping out, kiddie, instead of waiting in the shadows trying to jump and bash me, how about you formulate an opinion? Or is that trying? Something you and your little idol know little about.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:51 PM
  #13
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
It's imperative that A.Kost plays RW on a line away from Kovalev. He is so much better there, he's dynamic and creative. All his highlight goals come from the RW anyway. Remember that goal against WAS last year?
Also the fact pretty much every time he gets the puck in the neutral zone he always tries to bring the puck up the right side.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:52 PM
  #14
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,917
vCash: 500
Andrei is back with the tempo he had at the beginning of the season before his injury, i.e. he's hungry for the puck and chippy. The points will come, and if not, he's still making himself hard to play against.

In fact, he reminds me of how he was playing in the WJC before Timmins draft him. I recall a game against the US I think when he was the best player on the ice and the US D.

Goldthorpe is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:52 PM
  #15
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure that is what he has. Look at the symptons of Afinogenovitis :

1. Flashes of brilliance - check
2. One great year - check
3. Avoids high traffic areas - check
4. Over-handles the puck - check
5. Refusal to backcheck - check
6. Demonstrates little emotion - check


On second thought, Kovalev may have this disease as well.
You're just jealous of his hair. You also have a long standing grudge against Belarus and seeing him game after game riles you so.

Sometimes I like to finish a sentence with so.

Now Marc Tardif, that was an unemotional player.

mcphee is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:53 PM
  #16
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,726
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
You're just jealous of his hair. You also have a long standing grudge against Belarus and seeing him game after game riles you so.

Sometimes I like to finish a sentence with so.

Now Marc Tardif, that was an unemotional player.
What about beginning and ending a sentence with so?

"How are you, man?"
"So-So."

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:54 PM
  #17
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Andrei had a slow start last season.

Same to Plekanec.

Stop whining. They have better second halfs. Besides, their "play aside from scoring" has been extremely good. So what if they look like a second line now.

Lone Rogue is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:56 PM
  #18
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,917
vCash: 500
Man the weather is just too cold, can't wait to head So.

Goldthorpe is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:57 PM
  #19
gillyguzzler
Registered User
 
gillyguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 500
Andrei has one of the quickest releases and one of the hardest shots I have ever seen. Once he starts to use it more often, he will score a bunch. I'd rather see him play RW with his brother and Plek but Carbo doesn't see it my way and he's got quite a bit more of a say.

gillyguzzler is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:58 PM
  #20
HabsHockey
Registered User
 
HabsHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,363
vCash: 500
Compairing a 2nd year player to a 10 year vet?

And Kovy has his own disease which he has had his whole career.

HabsHockey is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 03:59 PM
  #21
Etienne
Registered User
 
Etienne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 500
6. Certain players are just better when they distance themselves from their emotions and kinda "think like a professional". Others are at their best when they're emotionally involved in a game.

For example, compare Ovechkin and Crosby. Or if you're an Als fan, you'll remember that the greatest CFL running back in recent memory, Mike Pringle, didn't even smile after he scored touchdowns. He just let go of the ball, let his teammates pat him on the helmet and run to the sidelines.

Emotions and intensity are 2 different things entirely. Andrei Kostitsyn doesn't show his emotions a lot, but he doesn't lack intensity.

Etienne is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 04:01 PM
  #22
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kovalev View Post
Is this like the time you said OByrne would steal Bouillons spot on D ?? I hope youre wrong on all youre points..
No actually he's right on all his points, and O'Byrne will take Bouillon's spot with time, I mean in the top6, as they don't even play on the same side. Gorges is the one who will take Bouillon's spot in the 3rd pairing.

Go take a walk, you need it.

Naturally, because Kovalev is not doing as good as he can be, the Kovalev fanboys are trying to find scapegoats.

I don't have any trouble with Kovy, Pleks or AKost, they will find their game together eventually, so would everyone grow-up and stop trying to find who's guilty, because any comment like that is tainted with huge bias, as the OP has shown with his poor attempt at an analysis.

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 04:06 PM
  #23
Tusk
Registered User
 
Tusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 3,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
And Kovy has his own disease which he has had his whole career.
Yeah, that one's different, it's called every-other-seasonal-disorder.

I kid, I love Kovy alone for the playoffs.

Tusk is online now  
Old
11-28-2008, 04:09 PM
  #24
Ape Clutch
Registered User
 
Ape Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Haiti
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
No actually he's right on all his points, and O'Byrne will take Bouillon's spot with time, I mean in the top6, as they don't even play on the same side. Gorges is the one who will take Bouillon's spot in the 3rd pairing.

Go take a walk, you need it.

Naturally, because Kovalev is not doing as good as he can be, the Kovalev fanboys are trying to find scapegoats.

I don't have any trouble with Kovy, Pleks or AKost, they will find their game together eventually, so would everyone grow-up and stop trying to find who's guilty, because any comment like that is tainted with huge bias, as the OP has shown with his poor attempt at an analysis.
Very well said

This makes me think of all the ranting everyone was doing about Price showing no emotions... what does it matter as long as he's intense on the ice... wth

Ape Clutch is offline  
Old
11-28-2008, 04:12 PM
  #25
jiboy
Patience
 
jiboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: RN
Country: Canada
Posts: 835
vCash: 50
You are way off on this one.

AK is a physical player, he doesn't show a whole lot of emotions but hes giving his best effort most of the time.

Refuse to backcheck????? Where did you get this one?

He's also far from overhandling the puck..even carbo is asking him to shoot more..hes got good vision and yes he will go for the fancy pass too often but hes not overhandling like mm Kovalev.

jiboy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.