HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sam seems like he has more fire in his broadcast..

Old
11-30-2008, 10:22 AM
ThirdEye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
I really can't understand the love for Doc. When you listen to him all you hear about is how great Marty is and makes almost any save fatso made sound like an impossible feat. Unreal. The guy has a "radio" voice and can call play-by-play with the best of them, but his bias/homerism is just too much.

I also notice that Sam and Joe tend to cut each other off a lot. There are a lot of "excuse me Sam" and "pardon me Joe." Not that there is anything wrong with that, there just isn't as much chemistry between them.
I think Doc is good, but he's definitely overrated by Devils fans. His play by play is a little too robotic, and you can tell a lot of his enthusiasm is superficial. This is especially true when he's not doing a Devils game.

Unless your a Devils fan, I'd say he's only good in small doses. A lot of the terminology he uses is absolutely silly, and it gets annoying fast.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Anybody remember Trautwig and Giannone calling the games during the preseason? WOW. You want to talk about a bad broadcast team... those guys had me craving some Sam and Joe within about a minute.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:43 AM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
No need to be a homer here. Sam's performance has been slipping for a while now...and to be brutally honest, Mike Emrick blows him out of the water.

Sam's voice is just synonimous with the Rangers and that will always be nice.
I completely agree with this. Sam just makes too many mistakes now. I don't think it has anything to do with JD leaving, I just think he's getting old and his eyes aren't what they used to be. But I still love Sam and I will be very sad on the day that he decides to retire.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:39 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
If/when Sam leaves the booth for good, I don't want him replaced ever. Just give me the crowd volume, no play by play. No one will ever be as good as he is.
To that point, have any of you ever heard of 'sights and sounds' on HDNET? They turn all the mics around the rink up, shut the talking heads off and its the most enjoyable hockey I've ever watched on TV. If you close your eyes you think you are at the game. After that, no announcer can do the game justice in my opinion. I can't wait until technology gets to the point that we have control of the audio and can choose the shut off Joe's mic when he's annoying.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:38 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I think Doc is good, but he's definitely overrated by Devils fans. His play by play is a little too robotic, and you can tell a lot of his enthusiasm is superficial. This is especially true when he's not doing a Devils game.

Unless your a Devils fan, I'd say he's only good in small doses. A lot of the terminology he uses is absolutely silly, and it gets annoying fast.
I actually love Doc's broadcasts. I find that he has a far greater mastery of the language than a lot of other announcers, with a very wide range of descriptions to use for what's going on. But I feel like it is mostly a preference thing. I've really warmed up to Joe, and think people who compare him to Chico are crazy. Joe catches a lot of little things that could be missed otherwise, and I really like that about him.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Jersey Girl

I love Sam, but I can't say he's one of the best announcers. He's a really nice guy, though...he stopped to talk to me a couple of years ago at a basketball game, and talked about the Rangers the entire time. He's also a huge fan of the team.

He's a good announcer, not great. When games are slow (and a lot of our games have been slow) he puts me to sleep. Sometimes I listen to the other team's announcers instead.

I'm not the biggest Emrick fan either, I think he's good, not great. My favorite play by play guys are (not in order, except the first):

Jim Hughson, CBC - nobody is even a close second. He could announce a dog show and his voice would have me thinking of Iginla on a breakaway. Knows the game, loves the game, and amazingly describes the action.

Also:

Howie Rose - Hate the team, love the announcer

Rick Jeanneret (Sabres) - Corny, but tremendous passion for the game

John Kelly (Avs) - Sounds just like his father, who was terrific

Pat Foley (Blackhawks) - Another guy whose passion always comes through in his voice

Gary Thorne - Sometimes over the top, still very exciting

Bob Cole (CBC) - Getting old, but still very good

Ralph Strangis (Stars) - Loves hockey

Bob Miller (Kings) - More subdued, but knows the game and gets excited when the situation dictates

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote