HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Stefan/Next Season starts now

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2004, 10:54 PM
  #1
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army
 
Peter Sidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,692
vCash: 500
Stefan/Next Season starts now

Five seasons is almost up and despite another strong game against the rangers, I think now is the time to deal Patrik. Lets face it, he is not player that DW thought he will become when the thrashers drafted him first overall five seasons ago and with the trade deadline looming, I think it is the perfect time to get to 'cash in' on his good form of late with his value pretty high. A lot of team could use a young third line center who plays good D, has speed and playmaking ability, good on faceoffs and at penalty killing and can chip in some offense now and then.

My first choice would be to offer him to Washington as a big part of the deal to get Sergei Gonchar to Atlanta. Atlanta has never had a true no1 d-man so I think it should be our first priority to try and acquire one. Other d-man I would look at that may be available would be Brendan Witt (also Washington); Tomas Kaberle (if Toronto use Antropov to get Gonchar, they may be interested in acquiring Stefan); Dick Tarnstrom (Pittsburgh), Hamrik, Niinimaa or Jonsson (NY Islanders); Regehr, Warrener, Leopold, Lydman or Gauthier (Calgary); McKee (Buffalo); Berard (Chicago), Boynton (Boston); Salei, Vishnevski (Anaheim).

Once the thrashers plug their biggest hole of quality on d to go with Lehtonen's arrival to NHL which will stabilize the goalie situation and DW acquiring a free agent center in the offseason to set up Kovalchuk, then the thrashers will be ready for the playoffs. Injuries have taught us this season that the depth isn't their so it needs to be addressed. Two major acquisitions isn't hard to achieve, DW even with a limited budget!

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline  
Old
03-03-2004, 03:40 AM
  #2
Tristelune
Registered User
 
Tristelune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 1,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz
Five seasons is almost up and despite another strong game against the rangers, I think now is the time to deal Patrik. Lets face it, he is not player that DW thought he will become when the thrashers drafted him first overall five seasons ago and with the trade deadline looming, I think it is the perfect time to get to 'cash in' on his good form of late with his value pretty high. A lot of team could use a young third line center who plays good D, has speed and playmaking ability, good on faceoffs and at penalty killing and can chip in some offense now and then.

My first choice would be to offer him to Washington as a big part of the deal to get Sergei Gonchar to Atlanta. Atlanta has never had a true no1 d-man so I think it should be our first priority to try and acquire one. Other d-man I would look at that may be available would be Brendan Witt (also Washington); Tomas Kaberle (if Toronto use Antropov to get Gonchar, they may be interested in acquiring Stefan); Dick Tarnstrom (Pittsburgh), Hamrik, Niinimaa or Jonsson (NY Islanders); Regehr, Warrener, Leopold, Lydman or Gauthier (Calgary); McKee (Buffalo); Berard (Chicago), Boynton (Boston); Salei, Vishnevski (Anaheim).

Once the thrashers plug their biggest hole of quality on d to go with Lehtonen's arrival to NHL which will stabilize the goalie situation and DW acquiring a free agent center in the offseason to set up Kovalchuk, then the thrashers will be ready for the playoffs. Injuries have taught us this season that the depth isn't their so it needs to be addressed. Two major acquisitions isn't hard to achieve, DW even with a limited budget!
There is no way Gonchar gonna be the Man! I won't rely blue line on him! Beside, he can't kill penality which make thing worst! However, he is one of the best on point shhot during power play but then we already got Kovalchuk who play on the point and Kaberle who did quite well this season! I am expection however a Adam Foote style of defensemen! But my bet is that Coburn will got his chance next season (if there is a season). Anyway, I don't think bad about DW to no doing big deal! This team have a lot of potential! Just need time! Look other team who try big deal to enforce! Even Colorado is lacking of young talent in farm now! But they sere have a heck of a team!

Anyway, I find the Thrashers pretty exxciting to watch so even if they don't do playoff, I don't find this season negative. Too much thing have happened! But the future sure sound bright in my ear!

Tristelune is offline  
Old
03-03-2004, 05:49 AM
  #3
ATLThrashers15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz
Lets face it, he is not player that DW thought he will become when the thrashers drafted him first overall five seasons ago ...
And what type of player did DW expect him to be?

ATLThrashers15 is offline  
Old
03-03-2004, 09:11 AM
  #4
btn
Gone Hollywood
 
btn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ATL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,672
vCash: 500
Patrik Stefan has gotten better every single year. He is quick, very talented defensively, and above all a great clubhouse guy.

While Stefan is not untouchable, I would not go out of my way to move him at all. I think he has a Selke in his future.

btn is offline  
Old
03-03-2004, 10:15 AM
  #5
Voynich
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Tyrone, GA
Posts: 333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Patrik Stefan has gotten better every single year. He is quick, very talented defensively, and above all a great clubhouse guy.

While Stefan is not untouchable, I would not go out of my way to move him at all. I think he has a Selke in his future.
I agree with everything you said. No reason to move him now unless there is an overpayment for him. I think he is worth more to this team than what he would fetch in a trade currently.

While he hasn't lived up to some of the more lofty expectations, he has been solid for the Thrashers this year.

Voynich is offline  
Old
03-03-2004, 11:51 PM
  #6
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army
 
Peter Sidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLThrashers15
And what type of player did DW expect him to be?
Someone that can contribute consistently offensively. With Heatley out of the majority of the season to go with Savard missing a lot of games also due to injury, Stefan should really be getting at least 50 points this season due to the increased in ice time he received this season to go with playing regularly with the NHL's top sniper. I can't stand how someone with that much talent especially in playmaking/passing has only got 10 goals and 20 assists so far this season. In my opinion he should get about 40-50 assists in a season if he is playing with skilled players such as Kovalchuk, Kozlov and McEachern regularly.

Yes Stefan also does a lot of other things that are very important to the thrashers such as defense and penalty killing but to be honest their are plenty other players that can be bought in to fill that role and currently that thrashers have Aubin and Simon capable of stepping up if Stefan did get traded.

My rationale for trading him is simply that I don't think that Stefan will ever develop his offensive game in order for him to be a solid 2nd line centre and considering that we need quality on D he would probably be the most available commodity to trade with other teams. Five years is more than enough to develop your game and I don't think Stefan has what it takes to contribute consistency offensively to go with the team badly needs quality on D. Coburn alone is not our savior and we shouldn't expect him straight away to become a top 2 d-man.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline  
Old
03-04-2004, 10:06 AM
  #7
Pachoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
Stefan has not lived up to the billing of a true #1 overall but that draft on the whole was very very weak. Stefan really has improved his game over the years though and is a very responsible 2 way player.

If anything, he is underrated now. He isn't making very much money so he is an asset to our club.

Pachoo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.