HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey-Burke: Preexisting Dislike?

Old
11-30-2008, 03:56 PM
GoldenForum

vCash: 500
Gainey-Burke: Preexisting Dislike?

Remember back when Rivet was traded to the Sharks, Burke came out and openly criticized Gainey for not having contacted him again before dealing Rivet. The Montreal media even made something of it, criticizing Gainey perhaps for not seeking the best deal available. Perhaps there's a bit of bad blood between the two that predated the Rivet deal. However good a GM Burke is, there's little doubt he's (a bit of) a shmuck.

[I guess we could save for another day debate over how good a GM Burke is, but folks who put him at #1 a) disrespect Ken Holland who is clearly the league's best GM and b) forget the not-so-great work Burke did as Canucks GM. You do have to give him credit though for the Pronger and Niedermeyer deals].

In any event, it all could add another interesting dimension to the Habs-Leafs rivalry.

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Gainey is not Kevin Lowe. If Burke wants to badmouth him, Gainey will just let him.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:01 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenForum View Post
Remember back when Rivet was traded to the Sharks, Burke came out and openly criticized Gainey for not having contacted him again before dealing Rivet. The Montreal media even made something of it, criticizing Gainey perhaps for not seeking the best deal available. Perhaps there's a bit of bad blood between the two that predated the Rivet deal. However good a GM Burke is, there's little doubt he's (a bit of) a shmuck.

[I guess we could save for another day debate over how good a GM Burke is, but folks who put him at #1 a) disrespect Ken Holland who is clearly the league's best GM and b) forget the not-so-great work Burke did as Canucks GM. You do have to give him credit though for the Pronger and Niedermeyer deals].

In any event, it all could add another interesting dimension to the Habs-Leafs rivalry.
Gorges + 1st round pick (Paccioretty).. Hard to imagine a better offer..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Gainey is not Kevin Lowe. If Burke wants to badmouth him, Gainey will just let him.
anyway... you need to speak to badmouth someone... And Gainey lacks of expressive skills... or emotions

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:08 PM
le_sean

Burke is a piece of ****. He gets mad at Lowe for doing something completely legal and he gets mad at Gainey for something as dumb as this.

Maybe the guy should just go get laid.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Gainey obviously saw the awesomeness of Gorges and couldn't pass it up.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:13 PM
habsfan56

theres something about burke i always hated, him being a leaf now makes it 10x worse.

habsfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

You have to wonder how many other GMs Burke has pissed off. Gainey wont say anything but he might not trade with him anymore because of what Burke said. Not that Toronto and Montreal trade much with each other but you see what is possible when there is a healthy relationship between 2 GMs (ie Gainey/Fletcher).

Burke cant trade with Lowe. I think he pissed off Glen Sather a few years ago after his comments about the holik deal.... and who knows how many feathers he's ruffled behind the scenes. He better be careful not to close too many of his trade routes or he's going to back himself into a helpless corner.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:14 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

who cares about Burke?

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:15 PM
GoldenForum

I agree-- Gainey is cool as a cuc. But that doesn't mean that there may not be a little bad blood between Gainey and Burke (obviously it only emerges because Burke complains, largely because he loves to see his name in the media).

Could become very interesting if the Habs, Bruins, and Leafs become playoff regulars once again. Though I'd have no problem in watching the Leafs continue to mismanage their team and flounder for years.

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:27 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Burke is a piece of ****. He gets mad at Lowe for doing something completely legal and he gets mad at Gainey for something as dumb as this.

Maybe the guy should just go get laid.
It was an unwriten rule in the league to not touch the RFAs of the other teams, the first one to do it lost his job no long after (Clarke on Kesler) and Lowe is actually looking like an imbecile for what he did (Penner).. I dont think its fair, I dont think its sane, it just makes the market more crazy and its a slap at the face of the teams trying to develop their kid inside of their org.. If you start that little game, there will be no end, GMs will make offers just to make a team weaker under a cap era.. Personally I lost any respect for Lowe..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:30 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by x eric x View Post
who cares about Burke?
Certainly not me. Overrated and is not the great hockey mind some make him out to be.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Newhabfan

Gainey has class and is a man of integrity. Burke has irritated many GMs with his attitude so I assume that the GMs know stuff we don't know about him (excluding the Lowe afffair)

I can really see Gainey refusing to trade with a GM he does not trust or appreciate. Even if this could potentially mean missing the so called 'best offer' though in this case, Gorges and Pacioretty were a hard to top offer.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:21 PM
HomaridII

If you asked me to pick the one NHL GM who was the most different from Gainey, I would tell you Burke. The guy is a selfish, arrogant, pompous a$$ who spends most of his time generating publicity for himself, the complete total opposite from Gainey.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:24 PM
plafleur10

Gainey/Burke

Gainey is a poker player who likes to keep his cards close to his chest. Plus, he takes ZERO risk and is ultra-conservative.

Burke is a straigth shooter who says things the way they are. Plus, he does not mind taking the extra risk that often you need to take to go over the top.

No wonder Gainey and Burke dislike each other. They come form opposite ends of the solar system!

I loved Burke's speech yesterday about his 3 priorities on each team he has managed:

1) Out of respect for the fans who pay money to see the game, he wants a team which is entertaining and in addition does not back down from physical challenge. No dull ultra defensive teams and no "just present the other cheek" discipline with this guy!

2) The money he spends comes from the fans and belongs to the owner, so only fiscally responsible spending with this guy, which also makes a lot of sense (would be interesting to check his spending record to see if he has any Donald Audette oo Sergei Samsonov-type fiascos to his credit like our friend Bob)

3) Intense community involvment required (here the Habs are blameless as well), or, to quote him, if you don't do it, you won't be here long! His way or the highway in other words...

Honestly, his speech was music to my ears!

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:36 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Gorges + 1st round pick (Paccioretty).. Hard to imagine a better offer..
Seriously tho....every game Gorges plays he makes the deal even sweeter....i mean if Gorges keeps progressing like he has he himself will make the deal a steal, and Paccioretty will just be some INCREDIBLY sweet icing on the cake.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:47 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
Gainey is a poker player who likes to keep his cards close to his chest. Plus, he takes ZERO risk and is ultra-conservative.

Burke is a straigth shooter who says things the way they are. Plus, he does not mind taking the extra risk that often you need to take to go over the top.

No wonder Gainey and Burke dislike each other. They come form opposite ends of the solar system!

I loved Burke's speech yesterday about his 3 priorities on each team he has managed:

1) Out of respect for the fans who pay money to see the game, he wants a team which is entertaining and in addition does not back down from physical challenge. No dull ultra defensive teams and no "just present the other cheek" discipline with this guy!

2) The money he spends comes from the fans and belongs to the owner, so only fiscally responsible spending with this guy, which also makes a lot of sense (would be interesting to check his spending record to see if he has any Donald Audette oo Sergei Samsonov-type fiascos to his credit like our friend Bob)

3) Intense community involvment required (here the Habs are blameless as well), or, to quote him, if you don't do it, you won't be here long! His way or the highway in other words...

Honestly, his speech was music to my ears!
So when does our unabated terror of the "new big bad Leafs era" begin, exactly?

Not feelin' it yet.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:52 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
So when does our unabated terror of the "new big bad Leafs era" begin, exactly?

Not feelin' it yet.
In January when Burke starts trading .. he doesn't trade people during Xmas. I don't expect Ponikarovsky, Kubina and Blake to last more than a couple weeks into January. And he'll have to trade away Dominic Moore, since he is testifying in defense of Bertuzzi.

Old
11-30-2008, 06:03 PM
JrHockeyFan

I read these comments about Burke being a "straight shooter". He may tell you what he believes, but there is no guarantee that it isn't a load of BS. He is just blunt about his comments

It's not often you learn much listening to the guy. Except that he places a lot of value on his own views

I don't see him having much in common with BG other than the fact they are both GMs

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 06:30 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
It was an unwriten rule in the league to not touch the RFAs of the other teams, the first one to do it lost his job no long after (Clarke on Kesler) and Lowe is actually looking like an imbecile for what he did (Penner).. I dont think its fair, I dont think its sane, it just makes the market more crazy and its a slap at the face of the teams trying to develop their kid inside of their org.. If you start that little game, there will be no end, GMs will make offers just to make a team weaker under a cap era.. Personally I lost any respect for Lowe..
It's also an unwritten rule to take your visor off when fighting, but it still happens all the time.

It's not like its some secret loophole that Lowe took advantage of. This gives the players a choice in where they are going at a young age, where they do not have a lot of say. If it was such a bad thing then the NHL would get rid of it. The problem is the way Burke acted afterwards, like a ****ing child. All he had to do was say that he did not like it one time, but he just kept taking jab after jab at Lowe while Lowe did not even respond. The huge contracts for young players were going on long before, Lowe was not to blame.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 07:08 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenForum View Post
You do have to give him credit though for the Pronger and Niedermeyer deals.
No, I don't. He only got Pronger because Pronger forced Edmonton's hand. He never would've gotten him otherwise. He only got Scott Niedermayer because he happened to have Rob Niedermayer on his roster already. If Rob had been playing elsewhere, he never would've gotten Scott.

Burke is not the best GM in hockey. Not even close. He's the most vocal by far, though.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 07:55 PM
habfaninvictoria

BG is far to classy to engage Brian Burke in any mudslinging. Brian Burke is a hot head and a bit of a bully to boot. Brian Burke is not a great GM, he's been lucky, but probably his best move was getting the Sedin's. He won a cup in Anaheim, but didn't have much to do with the lineup other than acquiring Pronger, and as stated in a previous post that doesn't happen without Pronger's wife's help. The lineup was set and Pierre Gauthier had done some brilliant drafting in the previous years. He left Vancouver in marginal shape.

As for his spat with Lowe. You don't think that had anything to do with Pronger do you?
Lowe had to love being able to finally after years of having his roster plucked dry, to be able to do it himself. Was it a wise move?? Probably not, but Burke fired the first volley in that battle.

How will he do in TO. I think he'll have a stroke within a year. Seriously. I saw him in Vancouver after an exhibition game in which they DESTROYED the opposition, and there was very little to complain about. He came out of the elevator and looked like they'd lost 10-0. Was surly and rude to a few employees and in general looked like a walking ad for lipitor. He's got about a 6 month free ride, because they don't expect much, but as soon as he trades a couple guys and people realize he didn't get good value.... he'll blow.

BG will stay away from that drama.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 08:09 PM
LesCanadiens

This is overblown, FWIW.

I believe this started from Burkes blog where he said he contacted Gainey after the Rivet deal....and Gainey said something to the effect that he was late to the party. It didn't sound like any bad blood and just typical GM stuff.

Burke has been on record saying he thinks Gainey is one of the brightest hockey minds.

Either way, Burke is just a blowhard and a hypocrite. Anyone who tries to get every day working people fired just because he doesn't like their views on him or his hockey team is a low-life. So it's fitting he's GM of the Leafs now.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 08:15 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
No, I don't. He only got Pronger because Pronger forced Edmonton's hand. He never would've gotten him otherwise. He only got Scott Niedermayer because he happened to have Rob Niedermayer on his roster already. If Rob had been playing elsewhere, he never would've gotten Scott.

Burke is not the best GM in hockey. Not even close. He's the most vocal by far, though.
I am amazed at how many people think he is a great GM. He went to HartFord and inherited a team that had made the playoffs 7-8 years in a row and screwed up the team so bad they never even made the playoffs under him. He was in Vancouver 6 seasons and during that span Vancouver won 1 playoff round!! Then he went to Anaheim and inherited a team that 2 years earlier had gone to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals (does ANYBODY remember this??). In fact if you take out the Stanley Cup year, Brian Burke's teams have won a whooping 2 playoff rounds in 10 years!!!!!

And here are some of his "amazing moves". He traded R.J Umberger to get Rucinsky, he traded for Felix Potvin after getting one horrible goalie after another and not only that, called Potvin one of the best goalies in the NHL when he acquired him, he was the ONLY GM willing to give Bertuzzi a contract, let alone a 2 year contract, which he had to buy out!! Adrian Aucoin for Cloutier anyone?? Martin Brochu, Peter Skudra anyone???

Old
11-30-2008, 09:08 PM
NewGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
Todd Bertuzzi and Mathieu Schneider in Anaheim.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote