HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden -- early evaluation

Old
11-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Boooooooooo

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 06:47 AM
shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
I'll say something that hasn't been mentioned about him yet this season... he is extremely, horrifically, revoltingly overpaid. People should talk about his salary more. Because it is the worst contract in the history of human kind.
totally agree, If he was getting paid even 3 mil. he would be playing adequate.
you want your 6 mil guy to be ur best d. most nights.
if it actually went be skill, smarts and points Girardi should get at least 5 mill next contract.(can't see that happening)

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 06:58 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'll say something that hasn't been mentioned about him yet this season... he is extremely, horrifically, revoltingly overpaid. People should talk about his salary more. Because it is the worst contract in the history of human kind.
Not even close;

Knicks Sign James From Sonics to Be Their Starting Center - New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/14/sp.../14knicks.html

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 07:19 AM
Kutter

Quote:
Keep in mind that his salary was the direct result of a bidding war for his services. A number of teams were interested in signing Redden and reports indicated that the Blue Jackets offered him the same dollars that the Rangers did. Ultimately he choose to sign with the Rangers, but had they offered less he likely would have signed elsewhere.

Kutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Chimp

He has been playing good defensively most of the time, been quite invisible offensively and has a horrible, horrible contract. That sounds like most of NYR's high paid players.

Last edited by Chimp: 11-30-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 09:25 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

To answer the OP's question:

Redden is grossly overpaid, he's aloof on the ice, he is terrible at anticipation and rarely do we see him outwork or outhustle anybody in the corners. He also is invisible on the PP, but that has more to do with coaching than redden.

That being said, he is better than Tyutin, Strudwick or Malik. He can't get any worse. I say let's give him a little more time before we boo him or run him out of town.

Grade: C-

We were warned by all Sens fans that he is a shell of his former self for at least the last two years and everything they said about his play was true so far.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 10:20 AM
ThisYearsModel

he blew chunks in Florida.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:02 AM
nyr7andcounting

I'm not too impressed. As everyone has pointed out, he's grossly overpaid for what he brings to the table. The best thing most of us can say is "well he's not awful". It's not a good sign when that's the best thing I can say about a guy with his contract. But I guess that's Sather's fault, not Redden's.

As far as on the ice, I thought he'd be a lot quicker and a lot more dangerous offensively. He could always pass well, and he's continued to do that. But aside from being a good passer I don't think any other part of his game is better than average.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 11:16 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutter View Post
Keep in mind that his salary was the direct result of a bidding war for his services. A number of teams were interested in signing Redden and reports indicated that the Blue Jackets offered him the same dollars that the Rangers did. Ultimately he choose to sign with the Rangers, but had they offered less he likely would have signed elsewhere.
And that's a bad thing? Somehow I would have lived knowing we weren't stuck for half a decade with his average play and monstrous contract.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:29 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
Early evaluation?

How about an easy evaluation?

He sucks.
I don't think he sucks. But his contract certainly does. Too much money to be paying 3 players. I'm sure they're not complaining, I'm just saying.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:37 PM
brettholmesx

heres how ill sum it up
way overpaid
dont really think hes hurt us as much as hes helped us
but still hasnt been worth the money

brettholmesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Bury Your Head

Sucks ass right now.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:03 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
just hoping that he gets better at some point, especially on the power play

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Blazephr

Why couldn't The Rangers have landed Dan Boyle?????? He's exactly what this team needs in the worst way.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:25 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
he blew chunks in Florida.
yeah, but so did pretty much the whole team.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:06 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

what i really find revolting is how renney see's absolutely nothing wrong with his game...i know hes a players coach and will never criticize his players unless theyre young and impressionable but cmon now. that whole speach about him playing hard and comparing his to staal, just stop. There is a distinct difference between being calm and under control and being flat out slow and lazy, most can determine which is which. I guess i would be calm with guys beating me to the outside every other shift if i was "earning" 6.5 mil...i wish they would've kept tyutin or spent 5 mil on a gold plated traffic cone either choice would've been a huge upgrade

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 10:58 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Why couldn't The Rangers have landed Dan Boyle?????? He's exactly what this team needs in the worst way.
So who did you want to give up for him?

Dubinsky?

He wasnt cheap.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
what i really find revolting is how renney see's absolutely nothing wrong with his game...i know hes a players coach and will never criticize his players unless theyre young and impressionable but cmon now. that whole speach about him playing hard and comparing his to staal, just stop. There is a distinct difference between being calm and under control and being flat out slow and lazy, most can determine which is which. I guess i would be calm with guys beating me to the outside every other shift if i was "earning" 6.5 mil...i wish they would've kept tyutin or spent 5 mil on a gold plated traffic cone either choice would've been a huge upgrade
Thank you!! That's really my only real beef with the guy: I don't care if he's struggling to put up points, but I can't stand his lazy "I'm too rich and established to hustle" attitude. Like I said earlier, he is making a science out of being outhustled, letting players beat him outside and chip in uncontested rebounds.

Frankly I'm shocked that only about half the people who responded to this thread don't see this and actually think he's been adequate.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Bury Your Head

Wade Redden (left) walks with twin brother Rade Wedden (right), as they leave the New York Rangers practice facility. Wade caused a stir after he "proclaimed" his twin brother Rade his own "personal servant" and forced him to carry all of his equipment home. Things nearly got out of hand when Wade claimed that he is "too rich to carry garbage" and his brother Rade quipped "...or skate hard", which caused his brother to become REALLY angry. So angry, in fact, that Wade nearly showed some emotion.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:00 AM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
Early evaluation?

How about an easy evaluation?

He sucks.

Yep.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:05 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Pretty disappointed. I was someone who thought he might be able to turn things around in a new city. Now granted, he hasn't been surrounded by the most enthusiastically energized team, but he has obviously been a let down. Here's hoping he turns it around.

we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 05:58 AM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post

Wade Redden (left) walks with twin brother Rade Wedden (right), as they leave the New York Rangers practice facility. Wade caused a stir after he "proclaimed" his twin brother Rade his own "personal servant" and forced him to carry all of his equipment home. Things nearly got out of hand when Wade claimed that he is "too rich to carry garbage" and his brother Rade quipped "...or skate hard", which caused his brother to become REALLY angry. So angry, in fact, that Wade nearly showed some emotion.
Well played sir, well played...

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

He's been good.

It took Gomez, Drury and every other free agent signee time to adjust to NY. I'm willing to give him more than just a first quarter 'he sucks, we needed to sign Lidstrom, Langway, Snepts, Housley,' etc etc etc etc......

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8 View Post
To answer the OP's question:

Redden is grossly overpaid, he's aloof on the ice, he is terrible at anticipation and rarely do we see him outwork or outhustle anybody in the corners. He also is invisible on the PP, but that has more to do with coaching than redden.

That being said, he is better than Tyutin, Strudwick or Malik. He can't get any worse. I say let's give him a little more time before we boo him or run him out of town.

Grade: C-

We were warned by all Sens fans that he is a shell of his former self for at least the last two years and everything they said about his play was true so far.

Agree - I said this before we could have had a genuine and younger PP stud in Streit at half the price. Going for the big name.....deja vu all over again

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:39 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Redden has been decent, not great not bad. His puck moving is the strength of his game, the rest is average. Unfortunately he will never play up to the expectations. Dmen are so overpriced right now this is what happens.

Sather sighned him to an awful contract, right there with Kasper and Holik. Redden is and will continue to be a disappointment because of the $$$.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote