HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

long island hockey players

Old
11-30-2008, 12:35 AM
Danglin98

vCash: 500
long island hockey players

hey i was wondering if there was anybody who played hockey in long island. i cant seem to find ANYONE anywhere who plays here except the kids i know from my team, and im to lazy to check the "where i play" thread

Danglin98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 06:34 PM
BrianNYR

Theres a ton of people that play hockey on LI. Theres a few college teams, and a bunch of high school and travel teams. Not to mention Roller.

BrianNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

i have a friend that plays for stony brook

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 12:19 AM
LongIslandDevilsFan

Send a message via AIM to LongIslandDevilsFan
I play for the Hofstra University Roller Hockey team. I'm Ze Goalie.

A lot of people on LI do play Hockey. I know roller go out to Sportime and Skate Safe of America, near me. There's one out in Suffolk I think called Skate Wars (prob wrong) and one in Queens

LongIslandDevilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

How old are you?

I would say it depends on your age when it comes to finding people to play with.

Try some open hockey at The Rinx or Iceworks (Its been a decade since I've lived on the Island, so I'm shaky on my names of place.) Play open hockey and make connections.

Mr Wentworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 11:08 AM
xstartxtodayx

Unfortunately, hockey is by far the least popular sport here on Long Island, due in part to the limited ice rinks and the high cost of playing. But don't worry b/c there are still tons of hockey players and several leagues depending on your age level. I've done my time playing as a kid and throughout high school and college here on the island, now I've been playing adult hockey for some time and there's never a shortage of teams and players. You just have to know where to look for us hockey players.

xstartxtodayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:56 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

I was actually looking around for people that play in the area. I'm in Queens and I know they usually have daily pickup games in the summer (roller).

Then again, the last time I played hockey was before college, so it's been a good 6 years since I played Tough finding a "beginner" league or games that aren't for kids under 10 years old.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:55 AM
xstartxtodayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
I was actually looking around for people that play in the area. I'm in Queens and I know they usually have daily pickup games in the summer (roller).

Then again, the last time I played hockey was before college, so it's been a good 6 years since I played Tough finding a "beginner" league or games that aren't for kids under 10 years old.
I'm not familiar w/ any rinks in Queens since I never played there (grew up playing in Nassau County mostly and played in Suffolk County as well) but depending how far you are from Nassau you can join a league that plays at Iceland in New Hyde Park (not far from the Queens border at all), or Long Beach. I'm pretty sure there are D or E leagues that play at both of those rinks and should be a good level for you. Check www.islandicehockey.com and www.hockeyli.com for more info. There's also open hockey in Syosset a couple nights a week which is a good place to shake some rust off.

Old
12-04-2008, 01:04 AM
lotus

I play Ice Hockey for Hofstra University - and yeah it's tough to find ice around here. It's expensive and hard to get. So many games are at the worst times.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 06:18 AM
xstartxtodayx

Where does Hofstra play now? I used to play for CW Post and I remember playing Hofstra at the Coliseum once or twice b/c they had ice time over there, we had a pretty good rivalry back then and were both good teams. Also, that was Stony Brook's last year competing in our league/level before they moved up to a higher level, we had some brutal games against them as well.

CW Post used to play home games at Syosset on Friday night's at 8pm, prime time ice, it was great... but we practiced Wed. and Thurs. mornings at Syosset at 6am, so that wasn't so great.

Old
12-04-2008, 12:44 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstartxtodayx View Post
I'm not familiar w/ any rinks in Queens since I never played there (grew up playing in Nassau County mostly and played in Suffolk County as well) but depending how far you are from Nassau you can join a league that plays at Iceland in New Hyde Park (not far from the Queens border at all), or Long Beach. I'm pretty sure there are D or E leagues that play at both of those rinks and should be a good level for you. Check www.islandicehockey.com and www.hockeyli.com for more info. There's also open hockey in Syosset a couple nights a week which is a good place to shake some rust off.
New Hyde Park is pretty close to me. I saw the Syosset rink (forgot the name) and saw they have open hockey basically every night. Although I am reluctant to go there since I am so rusty (I don't even know if I can still skate! ). One thing at a time though I guess. Skating is the easy part of working on, just go to rinks and skate around.

Old
12-04-2008, 01:51 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

im from long island i play roller hockey though im not sure what type of hockey you play

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Eagle20

im a goalie at sport time.

Eagle20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 04:15 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle20 View Post
im a goalie at sport time.
Just checked out the Sportime site. Is is just leagues though or is there Open hockey there as well (was looking at the Syosset one)?

Old
12-04-2008, 10:16 PM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
I play Ice Hockey for Hofstra University - and yeah it's tough to find ice around here. It's expensive and hard to get. So many games are at the worst times.
Long Beach Arena. We're supposed to have a game vs albany there after the winter intersession but i think charles wong's kid took our slot heh

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 07:22 AM
xstartxtodayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
New Hyde Park is pretty close to me. I saw the Syosset rink (forgot the name) and saw they have open hockey basically every night. Although I am reluctant to go there since I am so rusty (I don't even know if I can still skate! ). One thing at a time though I guess. Skating is the easy part of working on, just go to rinks and skate around.

I know Syosset has Sunday night, Tuesday night, and I think Thursday night open hockey. It's not a very high level of competition so don;'t worry. Also, I know Sunday and Tuesday the open hockey is on their "Blue Rink", which is a small rink, about 1/2 - 3/4 the size of a regular rink so it's a good place to get your legs back since you don't have to skate as far.

Old
12-05-2008, 09:55 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
I know Syosset has Sunday night, Tuesday night, and I think Thursday night open hockey. It's not a very high level of competition so don;'t worry. Also, I know Sunday and Tuesday the open hockey is on their "Blue Rink", which is a small rink, about 1/2 - 3/4 the size of a regular rink so it's a good place to get your legs back since you don't have to skate as far.
we used to call that THE EGG RINK.i hated it. it was worse than trottier's.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 02:17 PM
xstartxtodayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
we used to call that THE EGG RINK.i hated it. it was worse than trottier's.

haha yea the rink is good for 3 on 3's, or for little kids since it's proportioned nicely for them, but other than that it's like playing on a backyard sized rink. I only practiced at Trottier's a couple times, it was pretty bad, I'm glad we never really had any reason to play there since none of the leagues used that rink growing up.

Old
12-05-2008, 02:28 PM
vivianmb

is trotts still open? i played tons of hockey there growing up.seem to remember they always had financial problems though.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 02:41 PM
xstartxtodayx

I think it's still there. I know Trottier sold it to a group involving Adam Graves back in the late 90's, then it may have been sold another time since then but I'm not sure. I know it's now known as "Port Washington Skating Acadamy".

Old
12-10-2008, 08:23 AM
angus88

open hockey on long island

Dix Hills rink - Motor Parkway - has open hockey every Fri night at midnight. $20 a skater - goalies are free. 12 - 18 guys every week.

Intermediate to lower level players - returning or new players use it to get ready to join an adult league. Good group of guys.

For players looking to join an organized adult leagues on Long Island should look at Superior's, Rinx and IslandIceHockey websites

angus88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 10:02 AM
iceman17

Quote:
About a year ago or so I went to open hockey at Iceworks (small rink) on Saturday night at 7:30. ANy idea if that's around.

What time is the Sunday night open hockey? Thanks.

iceman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Garfinkel1

Hey I live right near Syosset. When I was younger (Middle school) I used to play in one of their leagues (Our team went undefeated - I was the goalie ). Anyways enough gloating I stopped playing for a while and now I have been playing a little at college with a few buddies. If I show up, Would I/Can I play goalie or should I just expect to play out of net and not bring my goalie gear... I am 19 btw.

How competitive is it? How good are the goalies? I don't want to show up... play goalie and blow it for my team.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 01:47 AM
BrianNYR

xstartxtodayx - when did you play for post? i play for them now haha

BrianNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2008, 02:08 PM
xstartxtodayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman17 View Post
About a year ago or so I went to open hockey at Iceworks (small rink) on Saturday night at 7:30. ANy idea if that's around.

What time is the Sunday night open hockey? Thanks.
I don't think Sat. night is on until the summer, that's prime time now for High School, travel, and other leagues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Hey I live right near Syosset. When I was younger (Middle school) I used to play in one of their leagues (Our team went undefeated - I was the goalie ). Anyways enough gloating I stopped playing for a while and now I have been playing a little at college with a few buddies. If I show up, Would I/Can I play goalie or should I just expect to play out of net and not bring my goalie gear... I am 19 btw.

How competitive is it? How good are the goalies? I don't want to show up... play goalie and blow it for my team.
It's not very competitive, it's just open hockey so no one really takes it all that seriously. It's really just an opportunity to get out there and skate and have some fun. There are usually 2 goalies, they have to call in advance to get in and they play for free, they end up rotating from team to team to make sure it's not too lopsided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNYR View Post
xstartxtodayx - when did you play for post? i play for them now haha

I played back from 97-01/02ish (I was on the 5 year plan), I helped run the team for a year or so and we had some rough times getting coaches and any sort of assistance. My last year we made some good connections and got the ball rolling for some real helpful people to come into the organization and get it going in the right direction again... I just wish I was there to enjoy that first hand.