HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Gainey re-sign AK-27???

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2004, 08:09 AM
arsobro

vCash: 500
Will Gainey re-sign AK-27???

I hope so. I think that if Gainey made the move, it's because contract extension will be announced later with Kovalev. Gainey told that he not wants just a rent-a-player.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:13 AM
Darz

I don't know if Gainey has even thought about that, yet. I would assume alot depends on how the new CBA works out.
I wouldn't be surprised in Gainey DID resign him mind you. Montreal has a history of resigning their free agents.

And if for some reason we lose Kovalev as a free agent we will recieve a compensatory pick in return which would probablely be a second rounder (third rounder at worst) in return.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:19 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I don't know if Gainey has even thought about that, yet. I would assume alot depends on how the new CBA works out.
I wouldn't be surprised in Gainey DID resign him mind you. Montreal has a history of resigning their free agents.

And if for some reason we lose Kovalev as a free agent we will recieve a compensatory pick in return which would probablely be a second rounder (third rounder at worst) in return.
I would think BG has looked ahead and knows what he will do, that being said, at today's press conference we will find out, it will be a question to BG for sure. I think it's a good deal whether he resigns him or not.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:23 AM
Habsolution

I don't think we'll resign him unless he has monster playoffs with us

Old
03-03-2004, 08:37 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
DO you guys remember gainey saying a week ago that anybody he brought in, would be here to stay. Based on that, and having 12 million to spend this summer,

He's a keeper IMO!

Old
03-03-2004, 08:38 AM
habfan4

If he performs well, I think the Habs will resign him.

Next year (assuming that there is hockey) the Habs will be in a better position to add salary. The buyouts of Audette and Chow saved the Habs approximately $4 million, couple that with Perreault ($2.8 million), Juneau ($2.025 million), Dackell ($1.4 million), Quintal ($1.5 million) & Sundstrom (whatever protion of his $1.95 million that San Jose is not picking up) all likely gone (or selectively resigned for much less), the habs have a few bucks to spend.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:50 AM
Darz

two things to remember:

a) we will have more money for payroll next year, but not as much as everyone thinks. For every player that leaves, another has to be brought in and the new CBA might make things more difficult to sign the higher priced guys.

b) Gainey said he rather bring in a player that would still be here next year instead of a rental, but he definately didn't rule out bringing in a rental.

I think resigning Kovalev is not even on Gainey's agenda right now. I would imagine he would want to see him perform here for awhile before making any desicions.

Old
03-03-2004, 08:54 AM
PacketFlo

Think about it people, we have young prospects that are up and comers! Perezoghin and Andrei Kast... are both Russian and definitely need someone as a mentor. Who better than someone who has experience and who has gone through the transition that they will go through. I think Gainey will try to sign Kovalev and if he doesn't it won't matter because the Habs will have a bright future ahead of them.....

Old
03-03-2004, 09:53 AM
Zednik

I'm watching the press conference and Kovalev is clearly a rental...

Old
03-03-2004, 10:34 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednik
I'm watching the press conference and Kovalev is clearly a rental...

He said that Kovalev (like all players) would be evaluated at the end of the season. He may end up being a rental, but based on the press conference, it's premature to say definatively that he won't be a Hab next season (if there is one).

Old
03-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Jacques Strappe

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4

He said that Kovalev (like all players) would be evaluated at the end of the season. He may end up being a rental, but based on the press conference, it's premature to say definatively that he won't be a Hab next season (if there is one).
The quote on TSN says:
``The player has a contract until the end of the season,'' Gainey said. ``We have other players with contracts until the end of the season. At the end of the season, we'll evaluate what do to.

``Rental or not rental, we're renting everybody for a period of time, aren't we?''

To me, this sounds like sidestepping the issue. Doesn't sound like the plan is to keep him. But things can change. Maybe they let him go and try for a different free agent??

Does anybody know the answer to this?
If you let a UFA walk, does the team receive a compensantory pick??

Old
03-03-2004, 11:22 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strappe
The quote on TSN says:
``The player has a contract until the end of the season,'' Gainey said. ``We have other players with contracts until the end of the season. At the end of the season, we'll evaluate what do to.

``Rental or not rental, we're renting everybody for a period of time, aren't we?''

To me, this sounds like sidestepping the issue. Doesn't sound like the plan is to keep him. But things can change. Maybe they let him go and try for a different free agent??

I simply echoed BG's comments on Kovalev's status being evaulated at the end of the year. Too early for anyone to say what is going to happen - my opinion from an earlier post is that if the Habs like what they see from Alexi, they could find the money to keep him.

There is a cryptic formula (based on salary, points etc..) that the NHL uses to determine what compensatory pick a teams receives for losing a UFA (the Habs would be entitled to a pick - likely a mid to late 2nd rounder)

Old
03-03-2004, 11:48 AM
The Power Forward

I think that with the comment he made this morning , it's pretty clear that he will re sign him if he perform well till the end of the season and in the playoffs.Kovalev won't be able to be "lazy" here like he was in New York because the team is not full of star and the spotlight will be on him.However , if he decide to bring his "Rangers syndrome" with him, i don't think that BG will re sign him unless he don't mind to take a salary cut to stay with the Habs.

Old
03-03-2004, 12:11 PM
StanleyCH25

Gainey is just making an intelligent comment, that's all. Why suggest you're going to resign him if you're not sure how he will fit in to the plans? Obviously, once the season is over, they'll see which direction the team is heading in and choose the pieces that need to be readded to the picture.

Hopefully Kovalev does well with us and gets resigned. I can't remember the last time I was excited about a top quality forward like this.

Old
03-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strappe
The quote on TSN says:

All that sounds like is Gainey talking in circles to avoid the question. That's typical Gainey.

I would agree with whoever stated that Kovalev resigning with the Habs depends on circumstances: how he plays down the stretch and in the playoffs, what the looks of the CBA are, etcetera.

Old
03-03-2004, 12:49 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Gainey had no choice, he had to avoid to awnser the question clearly. He doesn't even know yet if we will keep him. If he plays well but not well enough to deserve a contract extension, he will let him walk away and take the second round pick. So we'll lose Balej for trying to get a star playing. But if Kovalev clicks with Koivu, makes us *trippé ben fort* then, it will worth it and will resign him. Everyone will be happy and that's it.

Old
03-03-2004, 12:51 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ax²+bx+c
Gainey had no choice, he had to avoid to awnser the question clearly. He doesn't even know yet if we will keep him. If he plays well but not well enough to deserve a contract extension, he will let him walk away and take the second round pick. So we'll lose Balej for trying to get a star playing. But if Kovalev clicks with Koivu, makes us *trippé ben fort* then, it will worth it and will resign him. Everyone will be happy and that's it.
Exactly, small risk with big payoff potential

Old
03-03-2004, 01:35 PM
psychonaut

The fact that now its spring/summer here in Montreal might help him like the city. Its alot better then comming here when its -30c, when he sees all the women of the city who would not want stay Okay maybe that is not all, but if it cliques and he is having fun, I don't see why he would go.

Anyway we have a real fist line, going into the playoff, when most of the experts and alot of us thought we be in 9,10 spot. Its a great moment for us all.

Im sorry to see Bejel go but too many kids would not work out, this could be a help to make a nice balance. Hope all goes well, and we keep him for 2 years. For now we have more offence

Old
03-03-2004, 01:44 PM
Suiteness

Kovalev is Russian, he will go to the highest bidder. If Mtl puts up the dough, he will stay.

Old
03-03-2004, 01:47 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Buoy
Kovalev is Russian, he will go to the highest bidder. If Mtl puts up the dough, he will stay.
Thanks Captain Cliché!

Old
03-03-2004, 01:58 PM
Bégin is the bestest*

Gainey said he doesn't wants to rent a player, so they're gonna try to re-sign Kovalev this summer but Kovalev might not want to stay in Montréal for the reasons ottawa boy said. i hope he'll be back next year cuz if they rent kovalev for only a year, they gave too much.

Old
03-03-2004, 02:06 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax²+bx+c
Exactly!!!

I love the line 'Rental or not rental, we're renting everybody for a period of time, aren't we?'

Gainey doesn't seemed to be worried about the long term part of this deal right now, so why should we???

Old
03-03-2004, 02:09 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
the question is what can we expect from Kovalev ?

IMO he will have a PPG% like Koivu and Ribeiro

Old
03-03-2004, 02:13 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
it all depends of how well he performs..

The last year was difficult for him and if he can "relancé" his carrer here, He'll want to stay.

And management will pay the price for a star that is already part of the team.

Closed Thread