HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'd hate to break this to you guys...

Old
11-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
I'd hate to break this to you guys...

Total Games Played:27
Games played against teams currently in the playoffs:8
Games played against teams currently not in the playoffs:19
Remaining games against teams currently in the playoffs:35
Remaining games against teams currently not in the playoffs:20

We've been beating up on the scrubby teams, the easy part of our schedule is over.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 02:45 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

No need to point out the obvious.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Thefalkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
No need to point out the obvious.
But nobody seems to recognize it.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 02:54 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey16 View Post
But nobody seems to recognize it.
You're telling me nobody realizes that we faced an easy tampa, an easy florida, and easy Islander teams? You're telling me nobody realizes that we've played the most games in the league? Come on.

Old
11-30-2008, 02:56 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
You're telling me nobody realizes that we faced an easy tampa, an easy florida, and easy Islander teams? You're telling me nobody realizes that we've played the most games in the league? Come on.
They still say "But look at the standings! Everything is fine!"

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

People seem to use the excuse that we are in first place to overcome any argumetn about how poorly they have played. that argument is completely moot when you see these numbers. Once the schedule evens out, and we have to start playing the better teams, this team is going to be EATEN ALIVE if they dont start playing good strong 60 minute hockey.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 02:58 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
They still say "But look at the standings! Everything is fine!"
Well wait till things start to fall into place..we're going to find ourselves around the 6-8 slot....if we're lucky.

Old
11-30-2008, 03:02 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Well wait till things start to fall into place..we're going to find ourselves around the 6-8 slot....if we're lucky.
And I think Inferno's point is that if we continue like this, we're gonna find ourselves down there, without home ice, against an awesome team, without a shootout safety net. We won't be able to do anything in the playoffs if our play doesn't improve drastically.

Old
11-30-2008, 03:16 PM
AXN

Everybody has 4 games in hand on us also. That is why you can't lose to Florida at home like they did today.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 03:20 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
And I think Inferno's point is that if we continue like this, we're gonna find ourselves down there, without home ice, against an awesome team, without a shootout safety net. We won't be able to do anything in the playoffs if our play doesn't improve drastically.
Trust me. The shootout safety net will also catch up to us as well. Other teams are going to start winning their share.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 03:26 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
Everybody has 4 games in hand on us also. That is why you can't lose to Florida at home like they did today.
Exactly. And it's not just losing the game. The coaching staff should be embarrassed and ashamed. The team came out with absolutely no fire, no passion. It was hard to tell who was the home team out there. By schedule the Rangers were. Fla played like they owned the place. They shut us out in our own building. etc...etc...etc...humiliating game.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

We've been beating up on the scrubby teams, the easy part of our schedule is over.
Thanks. I wanted to do this but didn't have time.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 03:57 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Wins against current playoff teams:

Blackhawks Rangers 2 - 4 W
Rangers Flyers 4 - 3 W
Devils Rangers 1 - 4 W
Penguins Rangers 2 - 3 W (shootout)
Rangers Devils 5 - 2 W
Bruins Rangers 2 - 3 W (shootout)

Losses:

Rangers Red Wings 4 - 5 O (legit OT, the kind that still exists in the playoffs)
Rangers Capitals 1 - 3 L
Canucks Rangers 6 - 3 L

We beat the 'Hawks, who started off the year poorly, the Flyers, who were straight up awful to start the year, a Devils team without its starting goalie, then won 2 shootouts where we sucked for 40 minutes and managed to score twice in the 3rd.

We lost to the Red Wings in OT, playing a very inconsistent game, the Caps just straight up beat us, and I think we all remember what the Vancouver game was like.

At the same time, we've lost games to the Stars (last place in the West), the Leafs (not as legit of a loss w/o Henrik in goal, but we still dropped dead on the ice; 10th in the East), the Isles (11th in the East), the Oilers (11th in the West), the Senators (13th in the East), and now the Panthers (12th in the East).

I see a problem.

Old
11-30-2008, 04:02 PM
bumrusherer

Quote:

I guess we should give up then?

Come on, everyone with a brain knows that this isnt a cup winning team.
We are just looking to make the playoffs and hope that Henrik can get hot at the right time. That mentality wont change until we can generate consistent offense.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
People seem to use the excuse that we are in first place to overcome any argumetn about how poorly they have played.
No one is making that argument.

The team can't be concerned with who they're playing, only how they're being beaten. Starting with the Isles, bad teams have proven you can beat the Rangers with pressure on the puck carrier. Address the issue of poor decision making and even poorer pass execution or it won't matter what the record of the opponent is.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
People seem to use the excuse that we are in first place to overcome any argumetn about how poorly they have played.
>
>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
No one is making that argument.

The team can't be concerned with who they're playing, only how they're being beaten. Starting with the Isles, bad teams have proven you can beat the Rangers with pressure on the puck carrier. Address the issue of poor decision making and even poorer pass execution or it won't matter what the record of the opponent is.
Just because you are not making that argument does not mean other people are not. I for one have seen it numerous times and I only check HF once or twice a day.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:10 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Plus no shootouts in the playoffs, they need 2 finish these games in the 3rd! LGR!

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:19 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
and we still lost to them somehow...

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
I'm getting fed up with the people on here who criticize you when you make negative comments about the team. I know the sky isn't falling, but I also know this team cannot score more than 2 goals in a game. Callahan is not a top 6 player, I can't keep count the chances he gets when he has a clear lane and a guy going to the net and he shoots high and wide or short side. The clear choice there is shoot low far side get a rebound for the guy driving to the net. Like others have said unless Lundqvist is on his game this team loses games. The power play stinks, we lack talent up front, and we can't depend on the shoot out come playoff time. All I want for Christmas is a giant Swede that wears 13.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
First point -- its still way too early in the season (i.e., there is too small a sample size) to assess opponents based on whether they are "in" the playoffs right now. Is there really a significant difference between a 12-10 team and a 10-12 team? The answer is no; the difference is negligible. The teams that are currently "in" the playoffs could end up out of the playoffs, and vice versa. With respect to how this applies to the Rangers schedule and to your point - the Rangers' wins against teams like Toronto, Ottawa, Columbus and Phoenix are no less significant at this point than wins against "playoff teams" like New Jersey and Chicago.

Second point -- I think you're underestimating the level of parity in the league. If you told me all our remaining games are against Pittsburgh, Boston, Montreal and Detroit, then I'd be concerned, but of course that's not the case. I don't think the Rangers are, or should be, intimidated by the rest of the "playoff" teams on their schedule. (Whether or not the Rangers fans are concerned doesn't really matter) And by the same token, most of the "non-playoff teams" are not that bad - most of these teams have some talented players and on certain nights they're going to beat you (unless you are the Red Wings).

Third point -- Some teams actually play better against better teams. We'll see if that's the case with this year's Rangers.

Last edited by Kind of Blue: 11-30-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:39 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
I'm getting fed up with the people on here who criticize you when you make negative comments about the team. I know the sky isn't falling, but I also know this team cannot score more than 2 goals in a game. Callahan is not a top 6 player, I can't keep count the chances he gets when he has a clear lane and a guy going to the net and he shoots high and wide or short side. The clear choice there is shoot low far side get a rebound for the guy driving to the net. Like others have said unless Lundqvist is on his game this team loses games. The power play stinks, we lack talent up front, and we can't depend on the shoot out come playoff time. All I want for Christmas is a giant Swede that wears 13.
amen bro. its as though somehow, if you say something truthful and obvious but interpreted by the thought police as negative you become less of a fan and just someone who is whining and complaining about something. all the koolaide drinkers then attack us as though we are disloyal and even hurting the team. weird.

i gotta love the comments about always "saying the same negative things over and over" but those same people who say that fail to understand that we keep making the same stupid mistakes over and over. tommy boy and his 2 clowns continue to pound that square peg into the round hole. seems they keep thinking the way to fix the team is to pound harder.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Vitto79

Quote:

SO.............

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
thanks for "breaking this" to me

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:48 PM
NYC427

and what if we WERE NOT beating up on the "scrubby" teams..then what? there would be criticizing for that too woulden't there?....no one is ever 100% satisified..

NYC427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 06:13 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerMann0809 View Post
and what if we WERE NOT beating up on the "scrubby" teams..then what? there would be criticizing for that too woulden't there?....no one is ever 100% satisified..
The point is that some people disagree about the measures needed to improve the team, and some also argue that things aren't that bad based on our position in the standings. Who we've beaten, and who we haven't beat, however, indicate that we aren't as good as things look.