HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next season: Satan, Sykora, Fedotenko, Gill, Boucher

Old
12-01-2008, 03:30 AM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
I would like Chicago's Jack Skille. Fast, has a shot on him (right handed), hits, is physical (200+ pounds) and Chicago has so many (better) options for scoring wingers on the right that they're choking on them.

On entry contract until 2010/11 with a cap hit of 1.2 million. Don't know what we have that they would want though.

If Shero could expand on his bottom six signing godliness and find next seasons Kris Versteeg somewhere that would be positive also.... .
Talk about bang for the buck at less than 500.000 dollars...
Hell, I'd take Skille, Blunden, or Brouwer from Chi! IMO, these are the types of moves Shero needs to make next year, If he can somehow pull out a deal for one of these guys from Chicago and maybe Lisin, that would be awesome. Top 6:

Talbot-Crosby-Skille
UFA(Tkachuk)-Malkin-Lisin

Ya, it's young and unproven but Skille and Lisin both have proven, legit. top-6 potential and are cheap. We could let them develope with our elite centers while Talbot and Tkachuk are stop-gaps until our developing powerforward(s) are ready (Caputi, CPZ). I mean, They can't be much worse than what we have now.

Edit: I think Brouwer would be sick with Talbot and Crosby. He's a Malone type with a sweet release.

Silas Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:16 AM
vcx*

Skille, ah...another one of the guys I wish Shero could pick up. He and Lisin.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:28 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Yeah, but Chicago has no reason to not sign most of these guys, and we don't have comparable assets on the farm.

Depending on what Staal wants I would seriously consider trading him to Chicago who needs/wants a second line center for a deal centered on Kyle Beach and Jack Skille. Talbot could take the third line center, we could keep our defense, and there'd still be money to sign Sykora and one additional winger.

Beach's physicality and scoring on the left should go well with Malkin, and Skille's pace, finishing and hitting should be real nice with Crosby.

At least that's the one of the 'get to give' packages around I can find where both teams deal from strength and theoretically get their needs addressed. The young unproven wingers would have to come good for us pretty quick for us to have made the right choice, and Staal would have to add quite a bit to his offensive output for this to be the right solution for Chicago. Still, I think there's something there.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 06:11 AM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Havlat would look nice with Sid also. He is at pace of little over 20 goals and even if he finishes around 30, I don't think he's going to get raise. I would take Havlat over Gaborik and he would be cheaper.

Talbot - Crosby - Havlat
XXXX - Malkin - Sykora
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
XXXX - Zigomanis - Godard

Dupuis, Gonchar or Whitney traded away + getting left winger for Malkin also.

Muscles4Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Penguin View Post
Havlat would look nice with Sid also. He is at pace of little over 20 goals and even if he finishes around 30, I don't think he's going to get raise.
He damn well better not considering his injuries. Rather the opposite. He gets 6 million per now!

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:57 AM
pensown

Gonchar wont be moved and they love Whitney so I dont see him going anywhere.

Gonchar
Whit
Gogo/Gill
Letang
Orpik
lovejoy
richmond

would look good. lovejoy and richmond would be cheap to save us some cap

Boucher might resign for cheaper then what he is getting and he is playing real well and is a strong shot from the point.

When Whitney comes back I can really see them try to move Fedetenko/Dupuis + Eaton + pick/prospect for a winger (Afino, Hejduk(on the insider yesterday that shero called COL about him))

If they get a decent winger from that they will see how that goes for the time being.

I can see them if they still need help at winger moving Gogo.

The key is the first winger which will come sooner than later. Shero has his **** together calling COL about Hejduk. If you could get Hejduk for spare parts like Fed/Dup/Eaton/picks you still have a lot of trade assets like staal,whit, or gogo if you ever wanted a dominate winger like a Nash/Kovelchuk etc.

It will be interesting

pensown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Gooch

I'd rather have Boucher than Gill. I just am not a fan of Gill, he is a big guy but doesnt play all that physical for my likes, he ends up putting goals in off himself way too often, he is slow and gets beat easily and when he's on the point he has a way of destroying any offensive pressure we just put on.

Add that to the fact that Therrien just can't resist putting him paired up with another similarly flawed defenseman and we got a recipe for disaster.

As for Boucher, he actually plays more physical than Gill from what I have noticed, he is amongst the league leaders in blocked shots, he can play the PK, and being the right handed shot and some decent offensive awareness he isnt a liability offensive wise when the puck comes to him on the point.

I wouldnt mind re-signing Sykora at the same price, mostly because any viable option to replace him would most likely come at more of an expensive price, for instance look how much Fedotenko cost... I'd much rather have Sykora over him.

Satan we can let go and put that 3.5 mill to a different top line winger.

Scuderi we can re-sign IF he isnt getting paid more than 1 mill. I see him as a 7th d-man for us provided we could get rid of Eaton. Scuderi is everything Eaton is, but cheaper (hopefully), if he isnt cheaper then he's everything Eaton is... which is not what we need.

Fedotenko, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensown View Post
Gonchar wont be moved and they love Whitney so I dont see him going anywhere.

Gonchar
Whit
Gogo/Gill
Letang
Orpik
lovejoy
richmond

would look good. lovejoy and richmond would be cheap to save us some cap

Boucher might resign for cheaper then what he is getting and he is playing real well and is a strong shot from the point.

When Whitney comes back I can really see them try to move Fedetenko/Dupuis + Eaton + pick/prospect for a winger (Afino, Hejduk(on the insider yesterday that shero called COL about him))

If they get a decent winger from that they will see how that goes for the time being.

I can see them if they still need help at winger moving Gogo.

The key is the first winger which will come sooner than later. Shero has his **** together calling COL about Hejduk. If you could get Hejduk for spare parts like Fed/Dup/Eaton/picks you still have a lot of trade assets like staal,whit, or gogo if you ever wanted a dominate winger like a Nash/Kovelchuk etc.

It will be interesting
Why would any team trade a top 6 winger who produces and is on a good contract for overpaid junk? Plus a late pick and so so prospect?

Use some common sense here, that isnt going to happen. If we want something like that we are going to have to give up a lot, and more than I would be willing to give up.

In this New NHL we are going to have to develop our talent from within, and that means not using our Draft picks and prospects as "spare parts" as you like to refer to them as. Also, Hejduk has a NTC clause and is happy in Colorado.

Old
12-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Jacob

I think Kennedy may be ready for a top-6 role next season. At this point he's arguably our 4th most productive forward behind Malkin, Crosby & Satan. Granted he's not an ideal top-6 winger but he's a good all-around guy and if he can put up 30-35 points with Staal, he can probably score 50 with Malkin or Crosby. With him we'd then have TFK, Sykora and Talbot as the top-6 wingers. With a need for 1 more.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I think Kennedy may be ready for a top-6 role next season. At this point he's arguably our 4th most productive forward behind Malkin, Crosby & Satan. Granted he's not an ideal top-6 winger but he's a good all-around guy and if he can put up 30-35 points with Staal, he can probably score 50 with Malkin or Crosby. With him we'd then have TFK, Sykora and Talbot as the top-6 wingers. With a need for 1 more.
I would not be disappointed with TFK playing in a top 6 role one bit. I think he does have the skill, and when he turns up his game even more when he plays with people that have skill. He is easily my favorite Pen.

Old
12-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

I'd like to see Satan back. When he's on, he's our best winger. Just need to stop him being off, is the thing.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 10:09 AM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
This is exactly what I was thinking when I opened the thread. We are paid Fedotenko $2.25M with the idea he could compete for a top 6 role. Why not pay TFK 1/4 of that to do the same thing?

A spot opens on the 3rd line for, at best, Caputi or, at worst, Minard/Dupuis/Taffe (if resigned). If Dupuis is the guy, leaves a spot open on the 4th for Stone (if resigned) or another $500,000 guy.

Also, looking now, we are spending about $9M for our top 4 wings (Satan, Sykora, Talbot, Fedotenko). Bump Talbot to about $1.2M, Sykora back around the same $2.5, TFK a bargain at $750K. I realize some of that "leftover" money goes to cover Malkin and Staal, but still enough to get a guy around $3M -- possibly a Cole or Gionta (not saying those guys are the answer, but that they'd fall in that range).

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
that is a horrendous top 4 at wing, absolutely horrible. Talbot is a grinder, pure and simple. Sykora is garbage, who is good because he leaches off of Malkin. Fine Malkin gets him his 25 goals but by himself he can create nothing. Barely a top line winger. Kennedy? Please, the guy hustles all the time but he doesn't have the hockey sense to play with a Crosby or a Malkin for long stretches at a time. Guy is a perfect role player but would be a horrible player on the top two lines.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark144 View Post
that is a horrendous top 4 at wing, absolutely horrible. Talbot is a grinder, pure and simple. Sykora is garbage, who is good because he leaches off of Malkin. Fine Malkin gets him his 25 goals but by himself he can create nothing. Barely a top line winger. Kennedy? Please, the guy hustles all the time but he doesn't have the hockey sense to play with a Crosby or a Malkin for long stretches at a time. Guy is a perfect role player but would be a horrible player on the top two lines.
I cant even count how many times you have put your foot into your mouth but this looks to be yet another situation. You will be eating these words about Kennedy, I can guarantee you that. Perhaps you should look at the PP goal we scored against the Devils and Kennedy's part he played during it. That is the type of player he is when he is with guys like Crosby or Malkin.

Old
12-01-2008, 11:20 AM
wej20

Quote:
Aren't Snipers supposed to be leaches i.e looking for the soft area of the defense to receive the puck from Malkin or Crosby and shoot and score and Goal?

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Aren't Snipers supposed to be leaches i.e looking for the soft area of the defense to receive the puck from Malkin or Crosby and shoot and score and Goal?
We aren't talking about Brett Hull here, Sykora isn't quick enough to consistently find the open spaces. He doesn't pass or skate well enough to be a classified as an nhl "sniper". I don't see a winger on this team that actually a good top six winger. All are in decline or have a detriment of talent.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
He damn well better not considering his injuries. Rather the opposite. He gets 6 million per now!
That's exactly what I ment. "Injuryprone" guy who already makes 6 million, won't get raise. So he would be nice to sign around 5-6 million.

Muscles4Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Jacob

Quote:
TK's on pace for 53 points. Little productive for a 3rd line grinder, no?

I'm not exactly sure what you expect us to get. We have a lot of money tied up down the middle.. Center, Defense and Goal. We're going to have to rely on some wingers with their own faults. Sykora is a legitimate top-2 line winger. Yeah, he creates nothing on his own, so what? He's cheap. If you're expecting us to replace him with Marian Gaborik, you're mistaken. We're gonna have a couple scrub wingers in our top-6, that's just the way it is. Heck, most teams do, and they don't have the luxury of having the two best centers in the game. We do, so we can afford to skimp on skilled wingers.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

This may sound obvious... but it really is an overlooked problem...

Shero honestly needs to let go of Feds, Satan and Sykora in the Summer.

He needs to replace them with fast skating wingers who are good along the boards.

I really wanted Shero to sign Miettinen this Summer... he is a perfect example of the kind of player they need to find in FA. He is signed at 2.3m for the next 3 years and already has around 20 points.

He skates well, is skilled and a physical player... which is exactly the kind of player Shero needs to look for to put on Malkin and Crosby's wings.

Imagine if Shero had singed Miettinen over slow skating soft players like Satan and Feds.

If a player can't skate and is soft, Shero needs to cross them off his list... none of these wingers are creating any space or time for Malkin and Crosby.. and none of them can keep up with Crosby - they are simply too slow.

There will be other players this Summer like Miettinen that Shero can sign... he just has to do his homework and go out and get them.

Please stop signing slow skating top 6 fwds Ray...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 01:45 PM
PensFan27

Send a message via AIM to PensFan27 Send a message via Yahoo to PensFan27
If i had to bet, i think there are VERY good odds Eaton is in the lineup next year.

It amuses me that 95% of the posters here are basing their projections on him being gone. I dont see Shero trading him...

PensFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 02:19 PM
harmonica

Wishful thinking, but I would honestly like to see Staal and Kennedy attempt to move up to the second line and play with Malkin next year.

harmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 02:54 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
I would be happy with none of those guys being resigned. I would actually rather see Shero move Gonchar, he's the eldest of the defensemen and he is on his last 2 years of his contract. I would rather see a top 4 of Orpik, Whitney, Letang, Goligoski and then re-sign Gill and find a gritty and physical 6th defenseman. Let Scuderi walk, trade Eaton for a late pick or whatever, just trade him. Richmond & Lovejoy could be the 7th and 8th defensemen for reserves in the AHL.

Why Gonchar? Age mostly, why trade the young defensemen if there is a market for a guy like Gonchar? I like Gonchar but if Shero intends to re-sign Staal then he might want to move one of the defensemen. I wouldn't be choked to see one of Whitney or Gonchar gone for a winger.

Just thinking out loud.
Yeah, I'm going with this. I think there are way too many x-factors in all of this. I think the development of Caputi and Jeffrey could go a long way in determining what is done. So far from what I have read, neither one looks like they belong in the NHL just yet, so the possiblity of them helping out our bottom line looks like a long shot.

I would like to retain Gill for the sheer fact he's a great PK guy and adds some toughness. People also bringing up Gonchar's NTC are being kind of short sighted. There are plenty of good teams in the NHL he could be traded to, having just a good of a chance at a Cup as he does here. Do people really think he believes he is here for the long haul with Shero signing Whitney to a 6 year deal, and having Letang and Goligoski performing so well now? If I were in his shoes, if I weren't in a teams long term plans, I would like to start with a new team ASAP, where I have potential to be there for the rest of my career.

The facts are laid out clearly. He is a perrenial 60 point guy, unbelievable PPQB, who is going to be 35 years old at seasons end. Despite his age, I believe his return would be higher than Whitney's at this point in time. Why would we trade a 25 year old that has better than a 50/50 shot at replicating Gonchar's numbers for the opportunity to resign a 35 year old defenseman who is on the downswing (though not violent) of his career? Also, Gonchar will be making more than 5 million a year average for his next contract. That will probably be his last one of his career and I think I can safely say there won't be any hometown discounts given in that situation.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 03:09 PM
vcx*

Why must all of you kill my dream of the deadliest 3rd line in the NHL with Jeffrey, Staal, and Kennedy next year? I hate all of you...

I'm bored.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan27 View Post
If i had to bet, i think there are VERY good odds Eaton is in the lineup next year.

It amuses me that 95% of the posters here are basing their projections on him being gone. I dont see Shero trading him...
As much as I would like to see Eaton go, I know that Shero just plain likes this guy too much to trade him, especially when he wouldnt get much.

Old
12-01-2008, 03:57 PM
tooocoool

I think MT should try J.Staal at Malkin's wing again and if it still doesnt work, trade him for a good winger to play with Sid.
Personnally, if we sign Staal at $4M, there no way we can get a good winger for Sid.

tooocoool is offline   Reply With Quote