HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs shopping for defenseman?

Old
12-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Dragon

vCash: 500

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl081130.html

discuss.

Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Pascal

Montreal has been reportedly shopping forward Steve Begin and defensemen Francis Bouillon

kinda counter-productive no?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Montreal has been reportedly shopping forward Steve Begin and defensemen Francis Bouillon and Mathieu Dandenault.
I hope that would be to clear cap space because you aren't going to solve this team's defensive hole by trading any combination of these guys.

Also, they say their source is the Ottawa Sun. Chances are this is a classic Garrioch rumour.

"The Habs don't have a solid number four so they must be shopping for one. Print it!"

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Montreal has been reportedly shopping forward Steve Begin and defensemen Francis Bouillon

Not really. Unless the NHL changes the rules, you can only dress six guys on the back end. Clearly, someone has to move if someone comes in.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
I hope that would be to clear cap space because you aren't going to solve this team's defensive hole by trading any combination of these guys.
Not true. Firsty, I don't think the habs are looking to trade for a top tier dman. Secondly the guys the habs are shopping are low risk as far as term of contract go, and could fit under anyone's cap, so I could see a team being interested in a ______ (one of those three names) plus a 3rd rounder for a dman that has fallen out of favour with some team.

12-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Not true. Firsty, I don't think the habs are looking to trade for a top tier dman. Secondly the guys the habs are shopping are low risk as far as term of contract go, and could fit under anyone's cap, so I could see a team being interested in a ______ (one of those three names) plus a 3rd rounder for a dman that has fallen out of favour with some team.
I'd imagine they'd want a 2nd pairing guy to round out the top 4 if they're going to make a trade.

Gorges has filled in the hole left by Komisarek admirably but going ahead, and eventually into the playoffs, I'm sure the team would be much more comfortable having an experienced guy take that spot and letting Gorges be an excellent 3rd pairing guy.

If they want to trade to get a 3rd pairing guy to solve the Brisebois/O'Byrne problem (that is, they don't want either in the lineup consistently), they could possibly trade Begin or Dandenault and a pick to get one but that just seems like treading water to me and not solving the bigger problem.

Trading Bouillon to get another bottom pairing guy (because I don't think he and a pick alone could get anything more), would definitely be a lateral move.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
I'm sure they are shopping for a d-man and will need one at one point, I think the longer we wait the easier it becomes as it takes less and less cap room.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'm sure they are shopping for a d-man and will need one at one point, I think the longer we wait the easier it becomes as it takes less and less cap room.
Except that the trade deadline approches and playoff picture develops will cause players value to skyrocket, it also leads to more hasty/compromise type situations.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 12:53 PM
TheWhiteTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Not really. Unless the NHL changes the rules, you can only dress six guys on the back end. Clearly, someone has to move if someone comes in.
Send O'Byrne down...

TheWhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteTiger View Post
Send O'Byrne down...
OK, umm, let me also add: No defenseman who is any better than anyone on our defense will fit in under the cap unless someone who makes at least 1.5 a year is moved.

Old
12-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Send O'Byrne down...
Luckily NHL GMs know better than you do and didn't do the same with Komi 4 years ago when he was having the same exact problems as OByrne is having.

And for your info, they can't send him down right now because we have Komi who is injured, and we need all our available Dmen.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Luckily NHL GMs know better than you do and didn't do the same with Komi 4 years when he was having the same exact problems as OByrne is having.

And for your info, they can't send him down right now because we have Komi who is injured, and we need all our available Dmen.

Well, to be fair to him, that was in response to me pointing out that if we trade for a D, we should probably move a D. His solution was to keep them all and send O'Byrne down.

Old
12-01-2008, 01:06 PM
TheWhiteTiger

Quote:
OK, umm, let me also add: No defenseman who is any better than anyone on our defense will fit in under the cap unless someone who makes at least 1.5 a year is moved.
Yeah, but on the other hand, if you move Bouillon you will have Brisebois, Dandenault or O'Byrne in the lineup every game on D. I don't think that's better.

Old
12-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Yeah, but on the other hand, if you move Bouillon you will have Brisebois, Dandenault or O'Byrne in the lineup every game on D. I don't think that's better.

I just threw up alittle bit in my mouth...but I'm ok now

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Markov-Komi
Hamr-New 4th Dman
Gorges-OByrne
Brisebois

switch it while Komi is still injured, which is about the same as right now, with dandy as the spare, but when he does come back, we'll have a more solid D, as Gorges has been playing better than Bouillon.

Anyway, BG won't do anything until Komi is back.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 01:23 PM
TheWhiteTiger

Markov-Komi
Hamr-New 4th Dman
Gorges- Bouillon
Brisebois

Looks even better. You have to get rid of guys like Bégin and Dandenault even if i like them and they're playing well. Only because you can't get rid of useless BGL cause we just acquired him this summer and Gainey will look stupid if he trades him.

Old
12-01-2008, 01:27 PM
12jf54

Quote:
Markov-Komi
Hamr-New 4th Dman
Gorges- Bouillon
Brisebois

Looks even better. You have to get rid of guys like Bégin and Dandenault even if i like them and they're playing well. Only because you can't get rid of useless BGL cause we just acquired him this summer and Gainey will look stupid if he trades him.
Now's the time to trade guys like Dandenault, Bégin and Lapierre as they're probably playing the best hockey they've played in the last 3-4 years. We would probably get a higher return then we would have this summer. Still I don't think these guys would be enough to get that 4th solide D.

12jf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Well, the report did say Dandenault too

Old
12-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Habs

Real groundbreaking, original, thought provoking journalism. Every team in the NHL is looking for help on the blueline.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 01:51 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post

bouillon will stay and re-sign given the fact that obyrne plays like crap ... he is playing well , don't give me that crap about the mistake vs washington ... besides, he's a good playoff performer who can raise the bar a bit when comes the playoffs , (Its gonna hurt guys ) unlike markov.

begin, as long as he can dress, should play every flippin game .... why ? the size of his heart is something we need ... in reg season , I don't mind loosing a game or two because he elbowed someone in the face and took a dumb penalty ...

in the playoffs? its another story.

dandy? yeah maybe.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 02:01 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Real groundbreaking, original, thought provoking journalism. Every team in the NHL is looking for help on the blueline.
Not really.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 02:25 PM
onice

You think Bob Gainey asked O'Byrne to bring his purse?

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 02:40 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
You think Bob Gainey asked O'Byrne to bring his purse?

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Avim86

Quote:
Well, to be fair to him, that was in response to me pointing out that if we trade for a D, we should probably move a D. His solution was to keep them all and send O'Byrne down.
I guarantee O'Byrne will not clear waivers , even after the scoring in his net debacle. You people do realise that O'byrne is on a 1 way contract.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by avim86 View Post
You people do realise that O'byrne is on a 1 way contract.

What does that have to do with it? (note - I don't think Hamilton is the correct option for O'byrne).

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote