HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto @ Los Angeles - 12/1/08 - 7:30PM

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2008, 10:37 AM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
Toronto @ Los Angeles - 12/1/08 - 7:30PM

Los Angeles Kings
(10-9-3, 23 pts)

VS.

Toronto Maple Leafs
(8-9-6, 22 pts)

7:30PM (PST) @ Staples Center Los Angeles, CA

TV Broadcast: FSW (Home), Leafs TV(AWAY)
Radio Broadcast: KTLK 1150 AM

GAME PREVIEW
Strong goaltending contributed to the Los Angeles Kings' success last month. That needs to continue with a grueling schedule to start December.

The Kings, seeking a third straight win, open a stretch of four games in six days on Monday as the Toronto Maple Leafs visit Staples Center.

Los Angeles (10-9-3) went 7-4-2 in November, compiling a 2.43 goals-against average in that span.

Jason LaBarbera - starting for the first time since Nov. 1 - made 22 saves in Wednesday's 2-1 win at Edmonton, while Erik Ersberg stopped 22 shots to beat visiting Chicago 5-2 on Saturday.

The Kings are on the verge of their longest winning streak since a season-high four-game run from Nov. 6-13. They must, however, overcome a challenging stretch over the next week to keep the streak intact, but coach Terry Murray is confident in his goaltending tandem and will start LaBarbera on Monday.

LaBarbera started the first 10 games this season before giving way to Ersberg, who boasts a 2.29 GAA in 13 appearances.

"We have four games in six days and it is important we have two goalies that are capable of playing and to keep playing," Murray told the Kings' official Web site.

"I really liked the way LaBarbera played in Edmonton, he had a big win for us. It was important to bounce back and do the right step as a team and get the win under our belt. He is ready to play, he is hungry and he wants to get back in there."

LaBarbera faced a career-high 50 shots in his only appearance versus Toronto (8-9-6) - a 5-2 home victory on Jan. 10 - and hopes his teammates can build on their latest offensive performance.

On Saturday, Alexander Frolov, Patrick O'Sullivan and Jarret Stoll had a goal and an assist apiece for the Kings, who scored at least five goals for the fourth time this season.

"We showed maturity," said Kings center Derek Armstrong, who ended a 29-game goal-scoring drought with the go-ahead tally in the third period. "We had a couple of lapses during the game, but we found a way to win."

The Maple Leafs struggled to do that during their recent five-game slide (0-3-2), but halted the skid with a 4-2 victory over visiting Philadelphia on Saturday.

Hours before the win, Toronto formally announced Brian Burke agreed to a six-year deal to become president and general manager, replacing interim GM Cliff Fletcher.

Nik Antropov and Dominic Moore each had a goal and an assist, backing a 28-save performance from Vesa Toskala for the Maple Leafs, who seek back-to-back wins for the first time since Oct. 29-Nov. 1.

"As players, there's always going to be stuff that's going on that's going to distract you," said Moore, who has two goals and two assists in his last four games. "If it's not one thing, it's another. That's the challenge that everybody faces, to play a focused game and not worry about surrounding things that are out of their control."

Toronto looks to halt its recent road woes as it kicks off a three-game swing. The Leafs have dropped five of their last six (1-4-1) away from home, and are 1-4-0 with two ties in seven visits to Los Angeles since Feb. 8, 1996.

In that span, the Kings lead the series 10-4-1 with two ties.

INJURIES
LOS ANGELES
Marc-Andre Cliche (Shoulder / Out until at least early December)
Jack Johnson (Shoulder / Out until at least late December)

TORONTO
Mike Van Ryn (Head / Out until at least early December)
Jason Blake (Concussion / Questionable for Dec. 1 at Los Angeles)

RECENT MEETINGS
01/10/08 - Toronto @ Los Angeles 5-2 (Kings Win)

*Kings All-Time Record against Toronto (58-56-21)

LEADING SCORERS
Forwards
Kopitar, LA - 18 points (5 G, 13 A, +0)
Stajan, TOR - 20 points (6 G, 14 A, +1)

Defensemen
Quincey, LA - 13 points (2 G, 11 A, +5)
Kaberle, TOR - 15 points (2 G, 13 A, -6)

PROBABLE STARTERS
LaBarbera, LA - 12 GP Record: 4-5-1 GAA 2.87 SV% .890
Toskala, TOR - 20 GP Record: 8-6-5 GAA 3.13 SV% .886

TEAM STATS
GAA
LA 2.64 (8th in NHL)
TOR 3.39 (28th in NHL)

Avg. Goals
LA 2.64 (21st in NHL)
TOR 3.04 (8TH in NHL)

Power Play %
LA 16.1 (T-20th in NHL)
TOR 21.1 (9th in NHL)

Penalty Kill %
LA 84.0 (8th in NHL)
TOR 74.7 (29th in NHL)

WESTERN CONFERENCE STANDINGS

Old
12-01-2008, 10:40 AM
johnjm22

Kings show Leafs how it can be done

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rts/columnists

Nice to see the Kings getting some recognition.

Old
12-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Do not lose to the Maple Leafs.. please!! I hate the Maple Leafs even though they suck.

Old
12-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Pete Rock

Looking forward to seeing Kopitar and Brown run roughshod over my hometown faves. It's also a lot of fun to see the Kings as we don't get a lot of exposure to them in Canada.

Good luck to your boys tonight!

P.S. I hope for your sake that your prayers about Calder are finally answered.

Old
12-01-2008, 11:13 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
Do not lose to the Maple Leafs.. please!! I hate the Maple Leafs even though they suck.
Not to mention Staples turns into Air Canada Centre for the evening. It's worse than when Detroit comes to down. Blech.

Send the Toronto fans home unhappy boys!

- T

Old
12-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Omni Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Not to mention Staples turns into Air Canada Centre for the evening. It's worse than when Detroit comes to down. Blech.

Send the Toronto fans home unhappy boys!

- T
Last season I was sitting next to the drunkest Toronto fan. He was actually pretty cool though. First game of the season for me tonight, so hopefully the result will be the same as last year when we played Toronto.

Old
12-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Winger23

I hope our top line can score 5 tonight, Kings will need all 5 with 35 in net..

Old
12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
LA Kings Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
I hope our top line can score 5 tonight, Kings will need all 5 with 35 in net..
I couldn't agree with you more. With Pillows in net we will need at least 5 goals to win.

I say 5-4 Kings.

Old
12-01-2008, 12:15 PM
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings

Go Kings Go!!!!

Old
12-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Schenn vs Doughty. . can't wait.

Go Kings!

Old
12-01-2008, 12:33 PM
kingsfan25

The Leafs may be in the midst of a slump, but don't underestimate the Burke factor. In Saturday's win against the Flyers, the Leafs received more fighting majors than in any of their previous games...everyone's eager to prove to the new boss that they're willing to stick up for their teammates and play the gritty, physical style of play that Burke likes. Pretty much everyone on the roster is playing for a job...don't be surprised if they bring their A game tonight.

Old
12-01-2008, 12:48 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
The Leafs may be in the midst of a slump, but don't underestimate the Burke factor. In Saturday's win against the Flyers, the Leafs received more fighting majors than in any of their previous games...everyone's eager to prove to the new boss that they're willing to stick up for their teammates and play the gritty, physical style of play that Burke likes. Pretty much everyone on the roster is playing for a job...don't be surprised if they bring their A game tonight.
Concur.

Also, Wilson has had the team playing hard most of the year, and they have a surprisingly potent offense.

Grabovski and Antropov are both on pace for 30+ goals, Stajan, Hagman, and Ponikarovsky are all on pace for 20+ goals, and they just added Stempniak who's looking to be somewhere in the 70pt range this season. Plus they have a nice young player in Kulemin who's got some good offensive upside.

This is not a game the Kings can take lightly.

Old
12-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
Last season I was sitting next to the drunkest Toronto fan. He was actually pretty cool though. First game of the season for me tonight, so hopefully the result will be the same as last year when we played Toronto.
You just reminded me of last year. Some chick was sitting in front of us and won the whole row "Dibs" (little ice cream things) and we all jumped into the row as they announced it because there were only 2 other people there. I don't even eat ice cream but it was free.

Then there was this ***** sitting behind us that wouldn't shut up. She was an extremely emotional fan but was getting more and more annoying as the game went on. I finally started yelling non sequiturs like "Canada has free healthcare for a reason" and she started getting really pissed off. I don't even know what that means or how that would be offensive. I guess she couldn't handle another obnoxious person sitting next to herself.

I said something like "you know how I know the Maple Leafs suck? They are worse than the Kings"! She says "At least we won the Cup". I asked her when the last time was and she didn't know so I reminded her it was before the Kings were even a team. I think it was a blowout and on one of the last Kings goals she ran down the stairs and yelled something at me and stormed out of there. It was very odd to say the least.

Old
12-01-2008, 03:22 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Lets play for a sexy party!

Old
12-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Jordan

Leafs lines:

Antropov - Stajan - Ponikarovsky
Hagman - Grabovski - Kulemin
Blake - Moore - Stempniak
Deveaux - Mitchell - Mayers

Kaberle - Kubina
Finger - Schenn
White - Stralman

Scratched:

Hollweg
Sifers

Injured:

Van Ryn
Frogren

Old
12-01-2008, 05:20 PM
hans

Send a message via AIM to hans
Should be a fun game, I'll be there. Everyone has different stories about Toronto fans, but the ones I sat near at last year's game were pretty good folk. They had a good knowledge of hockey and an enormous hatred for their own team, so they had a lot in common with the hometown crowd.

Old
12-01-2008, 05:25 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
I think it would be more interesting if Hollweg and Zeiler were dressed

Old
12-01-2008, 05:30 PM
JenDub33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Leafs lines:

Antropov - Stajan - Ponikarovsky
Hagman - Grabovski - Kulemin
Blake - Moore - Stempniak
Deveaux - Mitchell - Mayers

Kaberle - Kubina
Finger - Schenn
White - Stralman

Scratched:

Hollweg
Sifers

Injured:

Van Ryn
Frogren
Not questioning you .. but just wondering where you go those lineups .... Last I heard ... Blakey was wondering around confused (with a concussion) .. either way it's him or Hollweg in and both are pretty much useless

Either way ... to a good game tonight ... You guys have some good young players and I for one am excited to see Doughty play tonight ... I used to see him play quite a bit on the Storm ... so it'll be great to see him at the NHL level

and btw ... I used to be one of those Leaf fans that invaded your building ... grew up down there ... and for the record.. most of us displaced Leafer fans down there are good folk

Old
12-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Fangio

vCash: 50
11-5 Kings. Doughty with a big game, maybe 7 points.

Old
12-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Whenever we get our hopes up, the Kings usually let us down. I was pumped for the Calgary game and the Kings got thumped.

This game will be decided on special teams. A weak Kings PP against a weak PK and a strong Leafs PP versus a strong Kings PK. The Kings PP needs to wake up tonight.

Old
12-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenDub33 View Post
Not questioning you .. but just wondering where you go those lineups .... Last I heard ... Blakey was wondering around confused (with a concussion) .. either way it's him or Hollweg in and both are pretty much useless
From TSN:
Toronto will have Jason Blake back in the lineup tonight as they begin a three-game western road trip. Blake missed the last two games due to a concussion.

Old
12-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
This will be an interesting game with Labarbera in net. Still I think the Kings have it in them to come out on top this game. 5-3 Kings after empty netter. GO KINGS!

Old
12-01-2008, 06:15 PM
ciccarelli80

Didn't see this article on Schenn and Doughty posted yet:

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsHockey/home

Last edited by TonySCV: 12-01-2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old
12-01-2008, 06:47 PM
JenDub33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
From TSN:
Toronto will have Jason Blake back in the lineup tonight as they begin a three-game western road trip. Blake missed the last two games due to a concussion.
ah ok.. thanks

Old
12-01-2008, 07:08 PM
onlyalad

If the Kings and Sabres win tonight, that will move the Kings into the 8th playoff spot.

Closed Thread