HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olesz...why is so awful?

Old
12-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Super Berg

vCash: 500
Olesz...why is so awful?

The title says it all. After getting a big contract how come he's been so terrible? I was going to pick him for my hockey pool, good thing I didn't.

He actually scored a nice goal on Lundqvist in the shoot out...is he going to turn it around?

Super Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 11:51 AM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

I wouldn't go so far sa to say he's been awful, he's useful...just not in the way his contract says he should. He seems to unfortunately be turning into more of a checking line player. I don't know what to make of him. He has the talent and skill to score, he just can't get it done. He needs to do something about it because it's getting annoying and he's quickly becoming very over payed.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
he's starting to come around, he had 2 good games against the rangers. He's hitting and create turnovers. However, I can't help but think he'd be better in Martin's system.

Bure1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

He's not been "awful," but he's obviously not been lighting the lamp. Could be for a number of reasons, one of which is the pressure he's putting on himself out there. It's possible that his ceiling is grittier Huselius, but I hope they hang on to Olesz and DeBoer's able to get him to his potential, unless he's part of a very solid trade that really help the Panthers...of course.

12-01-2008, 12:18 PM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure1096 View Post
he's starting to come around, he had 2 good games against the rangers. He's hitting and create turnovers. However, I can't help but think he'd be better in Martin's system.
idk, i'm becoming quite annoyed with him of late. i didn't think he played all that well in either game. he's one of the few guys (only?) guys who really hasn't been pulling much weight the past week in terms of grit and wall play.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
idk, i'm becoming quite annoyed with him of late. i didn't think he played all that well in either game. he's one of the few guys (only?) guys who really hasn't been pulling much weight the past week in terms of grit and wall play.
True, I was posting the lines that were clicking in the GDT to try and figure where Stillman, Horton, and Zednik would find themselves once healthy and who would be benched when I realized that I didn't remember seeing too much from Olesz, McLean, and Kreps. I mean, they created some chances and I guess it's not at all a bad thing that players aren't as visible in terms of that meaning they aren't taking penalties, but they seem to be the weaker link out there where the other lines are playing well.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 12:51 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
True, I was posting the lines that were clicking in the GDT to try and figure where Stillman, Horton, and Zednik would find themselves once healthy and who would be benched when I realized that I didn't remember seeing too much from Olesz, McLean, and Kreps. I mean, they created some chances and I guess it's not at all a bad thing that players aren't as visible in terms of that meaning they aren't taking penalties, but they seem to be the weaker link out there where the other lines are playing well.
yes, that was the least effective group tho they still got more minutes than matthias/stewie/tarnasky, esp in the previous game. i was actually very pleased with mclean yesterday. i thought he won his share of battles out there. kreps looked pretty good with the puck on his stick tho didn't spend much time on the wall. rusty just isn't really bringing enough to the table, imo. i think i'd sit him again for a bit when the others return rather than sending matthias (who's been effective, imo) back.

Old
12-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
yes, that was the least effective group tho they still got more minutes than matthias/stewie/tarnasky, esp in the previous game. i was actually very pleased with mclean yesterday. i thought he won his share of battles out there. kreps looked pretty good with the puck on his stick tho didn't spend much time on the wall. rusty just isn't really bringing enough to the table, imo. i think i'd sit him again for a bit when the others return rather than sending matthias (who's been effective, imo) back.
Agreed, I've been very pleased with Matthias, though, he's been the checking line's center during this stint. I like his attitude and like that he still has a hunger to do more out on the ice (as per his interview posted on the Panthers site).

I wouldn't mind benching Olesz, especially since they're apparently trying to send a message out there, ie. the Belak trade. Light a fire under Olesz's arse, get him going.

Old
12-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Pukboy5kroner

I agree that of all the players over the last week or so, Kreps, McLean, and Olesz were the least effective. So, if anyone is going to be a healthy scratch, it should be one of those three.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
what are you guys watching? McLean always works the boards as hard as he can and has played well as of late. Kreps is winning face offs in key draws (although his penalties are lazy), and Olesz is starting to come around, while he's not scoring he's throwing the body more and fore checking a lot better.

Bure1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 03:42 PM
zeroG

Quote:
what are you guys watching? McLean always works the boards as hard as he can and has played well as of late. Kreps is winning face offs in key draws (although his penalties are lazy), and Olesz is starting to come around, while he's not scoring he's throwing the body more and fore checking a lot better.
true, he has gotten in a couple of times and knocked his guy off the puck but hasn't had the support from line mates. he and his line havn't been an unstoppable force like the other lines. campell and co. have been an absolute buzz saw (still enjoying the sound of crickets from everyone who wanted to throw those guys out 2 weeks ago). even matthias' line has gotten in on the act.

so he has looked a little better, yes, but still far below what we should expect from him. mclean and kreps have both looked better with the puck.

Old
12-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
For a little over 3 mil per year. I expect to see the dominant Olesz we saw in the last half of the season, last season, nothing less.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:28 PM
pantherhockey

He reminds me of exactly how Radek was at the same age. That said, his play is getting more physical and I like that alot. If he can score a bit more, he could be more of a Jere Letinen type player.

pantherhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:21 PM
thrillhous

He just doesn't seem to have the finish (outside of shootouts).

thrillhous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
He just doesn't seem to have the finish (outside of shootouts).
The frustrating thing about Olesz is that he has scored some beautiful goals in the NHL, goalscorer's goals. But he just can't seem to put it all together. The Panthers rushed him and now are paying the consequences. Even Martin admitted it two seasons ago. We should have stuck him in junior like we did with Frolik for at least a year after he came to N.A. and let him be a big offensive producer after being stuck in the Extraligue playing with grown men for years. I still think there's plenty of time for him to turn it around, but the most frustrating thing is knowing that the talent is there, but he just has a hard time displaying it consistently for whatever reason.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

He needs to be sent down to Rochester for a week to 10 days so he can regain his scoring. JM did it last year and when Olesz came back up he was pretty consistant the rest of the season.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
He needs to be sent down to Rochester for a week to 10 days so he can regain his scoring. JM did it last year and when Olesz came back up he was pretty consistant the rest of the season.
Pretty sure that'd mean he'd be put on waivers in order to be sent down. Only option is to bench him for awhile.

Old
12-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Pretty sure that'd mean he'd be put on waivers in order to be sent down. Only option is to bench him for awhile.
Yeah, he'd have to be put on waivers, he's already played 180 pro games.

Old
12-01-2008, 09:05 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
The frustrating thing about Olesz is that he has scored some beautiful goals in the NHL, goalscorer's goals. But he just can't seem to put it all together. The Panthers rushed him and now are paying the consequences. Even Martin admitted it two seasons ago. We should have stuck him in junior like we did with Frolik for at least a year after he came to N.A. and let him be a big offensive producer after being stuck in the Extraligue playing with grown men for years. I still think there's plenty of time for him to turn it around, but the most frustrating thing is knowing that the talent is there, but he just has a hard time displaying it consistently for whatever reason.
and when you throw in the fact that he's playing on a team still searching for an identity (hoping we can say this was the week we found it!) with a rotating cast of line mates hasn't helped. you're right in that there's plenty of time for him. what, *ahem*.... 6 years?

Old
12-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
and when you throw in the fact that he's playing on a team still searching for an identity (hoping we can say this was the week we found it!) with a rotating cast of line mates hasn't helped. you're right in that there's plenty of time for him. what, *ahem*.... 6 years?
You're right, that certainly hasn't helped, neither has him being injured frequently and having a hard time establishing any kind of offensive rythym.

Old
12-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Ghoste
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
he's starting to come around, he had 2 good games against the rangers. He's hitting and create turnovers.
I agree. These last two games he's been great. He's been hitting everything out there and that shootout goal was a beauty. He definitely needs to pick up his offensive game, especially for the money he'll start making next year.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Quote:
Crap. Scratch that idea then. maybe keep him after practice and have him practice his offense. He has been invisible out there on offense. On defense he is still great. I love the way he backchecks, I just wish he would play the same way at the other end.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 03:22 PM
jol

Quote:
But he could have some kind of conditioning stint in Rochester, i.e. pretend to be injured.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote