HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prucha declines conditioning option

Old
12-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
He's sticking it to them in that financially they are un-able to do anything.

They are not going to waive him as he will get claimed and they get nothing.

They can't send him to the minors (see above)
I'm not sure who's lining up to claim Prucha at $1.6M. At this point, it seems like losing him on waivers or sending him to Hartford permanently is probably the team's preferred option since he's essentially valueless and clearly not of any interest to the organization.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 03:28 PM
irishlaxburger2

I think their are two choices here...

1. Try to trade him.
2. Play him.

#1 probably isn't a very realistic idea without #2, so why not put him out there? Heck, this team could use any offense they can get.

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
I think their are two choices here...

1. Try to trade him.
2. Play him.

#1 probably isn't a very realistic idea without #2, so why not put him out there? Heck, this team could use any offense they can get.
Have to say I agree. Even though Prucha is a guy that scored 30 goals and not a 30 goal scorer, he still is one of the few wingers on the roster that has scored at the NHL level. I think its time to give him a 5-10 games and then reevaluate.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 03:35 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
This is now his career high.... 8 this year.

Callahan has done very little to merit being on the top line. Worked his butt off, sure, but Petr does that too. Cally (like everyone else) has blown all kinds of opportunities (see 2 on 1 yesterday). Petr deserves a chance. Anyone who says otherwise must have some kind of problem with the guy.
thats the point I'm trying to make. I like Callahan. Don't get me wrong. On the third line. Who knows. Maybe Nedved shouldv'e made the squad. Give us a little more scoring.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
thats the point I'm trying to make. I like Callahan. Don't get me wrong. On the third line. Who knows. Maybe Nedved shouldv'e made the squad. Give us a little more scoring.
I dont know what the answer is to our scoring woes, but I know thats its not Petr Nedved.

Old
12-01-2008, 03:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
He's sticking it to them in that financially they are un-able to do anything.

They are not going to waive him as he will get claimed and they get nothing.

They can't send him to the minors (see above)

They either play him or let him sit and leave at seasons end for nothing as they will have to offer him 100% of last years salary to retain theri position as rights holders.

The Rangers did not treat this member of the family right and I hope they get burned because of it.
And he's really benefiting from this. His contract is up at the end of the season. Teams are really going to be lining up for him.

Seems to me if he is indeed sticking it to the Rangers, its a great example of cutting off his nose to spite his face.

12-01-2008, 03:47 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I'm not sure who's lining up to claim Prucha at $1.6M. At this point, it seems like losing him on waivers or sending him to Hartford permanently is probably the team's preferred option since he's essentially valueless and clearly not of any interest to the organization.
I thought that if he was claimed off waivers the Rangers are on the hook for half his salary and its also prorated for the remainder of the season? If so it's roughly 533k for the rest of the season for the team claiming him. Do you honestly think every other team in the league would pass on Prucha for that much?

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 03:51 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
And he's really benefiting from this. His contract is up at the end of the season. Teams are really going to be lining up for him.

Seems to me if he is indeed sticking it to the Rangers, its a great example of cutting off his nose to spite his face.
It may not be the best strategy but I'm rather certain that more than a few teams would be willing to offer Prucha a one year make good deal. Maybe to him not allowing the Rangers to get anything valuable in a trade for him is satisfaction enough as opposed to showing off in the A to potentially be traded to some where he has no say in. Maybe doing all that to earn another 100-200k in his next contract isn't his priority. Who knows for certain, we're not inside his head.

Old
12-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Fly, in all fairness, he hasn't been provided the same opportunities to score once Shanny was signed.

He went from producing on the PP one year to not playing on the PP the next and everyone said "Look at his production drop"

The ne went from playing top 2 line minutes to playing 3rd 4th line minutes and his production dropped even further and again everyone pointed to his decline in production.

The fact is that our 3rd and 4th lines are devoid of ANY OFFENSIVE ABILITY and having him there is not putting him in the best position to succeed.

The Rangers jerked him around and reduced his value to nothing.

He's one player that is going to go to another team and score 20+ consistently because someone else is going to know how to use the player and maximize the return.
Why did his shooting % drop so drastically?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 03:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
It may not be the best strategy but I'm rather certain that more than a few teams would be willing to offer Prucha a one year make good deal. Maybe to him not allowing the Rangers to get anything valuable in a trade for him is satisfaction enough as opposed to showing off in the A to potentially be traded to some where he has no say in. Maybe doing all that to earn another 100-200k in his next contract isn't his priority. Who knows for certain, we're not inside his head.
Still, wouldn't it be more of a benefit to him to play some games in the AHL as supposed to sit in the press box in the NHL?

He really doesn't have laurels to rest on.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:13 PM
D713B

Quote:
Still, wouldn't it be more of a benefit to him to play some games in the AHL as supposed to sit in the press box in the NHL?

He really doesn't have laurels to rest on.
I think its pretty obvious they want to showcase him in the A to get something for him before he leaves in the off season. Maybe in his mind he is sticking it to them. Who knows. Human emotion can cause one to not think straight.

Old
12-01-2008, 04:17 PM
hfboardsuser

I can see the Oilers making a call about him. We just lost Robert Nilsson, who was 2nd on the LW depth chart, and we've got few options unless we call up a kid to play top-six minutes.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:18 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I think its pretty obvious they want to showcase him in the A to get something for him before he leaves in the off season. Maybe in his mind he is sticking it to them. Who knows. Human emotion can cause one to not think straight.
Well then he's stupid. I wouldn't want to go into free agency having played 70 games and scoring 7 goals in my last two seasons. And looking at a hefty pay cut and possibly a two-way deal.

Next season his salary is off the books and he's looking for work. Who's sticking it to who?

Old
12-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I thought that if he was claimed off waivers the Rangers are on the hook for half his salary and its also prorated for the remainder of the season?
That's only if he's claimed off re-entry waivers after being called up from Hartford.

Old
12-01-2008, 04:27 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
That's only if he's claimed off re-entry waivers after being called up from Hartford.
Thanks, I knew there was something to it. If he was claimed while being sent down to the A his salary would still be prorated though right? Roughly 1 to 1.1 million for Prucha would still have to interest some team.

Old
12-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Thanks, I knew there was something to it. If he was claimed while being sent down to the A his salary would still be prorated though right? Roughly 1 to 1.1 million for Prucha would still have to interest some team.
I think you're giving Prucha too much credit here.

He has zero stock right now thanks to not playing, and not delivering when he does play.

Im actually quite certain most if not all teams would see what they've got on the farm before they take a 1 million dollar flyer on Petr Prucha.

Old
12-01-2008, 04:46 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think you're giving Prucha too much credit here.

He has zero stock right now thanks to not playing, and not delivering when he does play.

Im actually quite certain most if not all teams would see what they've got on the farm before they take a 1 million dollar flyer on Petr Prucha.
I don't think I'm giving him too much credit. In his only two full seasons he scored 20+ goals and proved in the right scenario he can score 30. Plenty of teams out there are looking for offense and have plenty of cap space. Shoot we need scoring and we've yet to turn to our farm simply because we don't have anyone ready. Pretty soon that cap hit would be under 1 mill anyway. I'm fairly certain if the scenario were turned and we had the cap space Vancouver has and they were to release Prucha we would take a flier on him. I can see the thread now...

Petr Prucha waived by the Canucks.

His cap hit will be less than a million and with our inability to score goals and our anemic power play we should probably claim him. He did score most of his goals on the PP in his rookie season and has scored 30 goals at the NHL level. Blah Blah Blah...

Get my drift?

Last edited by D713B: 12-01-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old
12-01-2008, 04:56 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I don't think I'm giving him too much credit. In his only two full seasons he scored 20+ goals and proved in the right scenario he can score 30. Plenty of teams out there are looking for offense and have plenty of cap space. Pretty soon that cap hit would be under 1 mill anyway. I'm pretty certain if the scenario were turned and we had the cap space Vancouver has and they were to release Prucha we would take a flier on him. I can see the thread now...

Petr Prucha waived by the Canucks.

His cap hit will be less than a million and with our inability to score goals and our anemic power play we should probably claim him. He did score most of his goals on the PP in his rookie season and has scored 30 goals at the NHL level. Blah Blah Blah...

Get my drift?
Flip side:

He's an undersized winger who takes a pounding every game.

His production's has diminished every season he's been in the league.

He's being waived by a team that is having trouble scoring goals, yet this offensive winger can't even smell the ice.

Old
12-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
That, I don't know, but I agree with BRB that $1M is still a pretty good sized flyer for Prucha.

I know we're 2 months removed from this case study, but Michele Oulette @ less money and significantly more offensive production than Prucha couldn't draw any interest on waivers at the start of the season. Not sure how much the market for that type of player has changed.

Old
12-01-2008, 05:02 PM
D713B

I'm not saying he would be a highly sought after commodity. I'm just saying were he to be waived I believe some team would take a chance on him.

Ouellet is a reasonable comparison and I see the flip side but I just can't see a team like NYI, LA or the like taking a chance on him. Worst case scenario they send him to the A.

BTW I don't buy into the small forward taking a beating argument. He's always been in top physical shape and never spent much (if any?) time on the DL while playing an uptempo style.

Old
12-01-2008, 05:23 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It's a lose-lose for Prucha as long as he's in NY. Here's a potential sequence:

1. Prucha goes to Hartford

2. Prucha plays 15 - 20 minutes a night and starts scoring

3. Prucha returns to NY after two weeks

4. Prucha gets inserted into the lineup on the 3rd line with Korpikoski and Fritsche for 9 minutes a night with zero powerplay time.

5. Prucha doesn't score after 3 or 4 games.

6. Prucha is scratched again.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:26 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
It's a lose-lose for Prucha as long as he's in NY. Here's a potential sequence:

1. Prucha goes to Hartford

2. Prucha plays 15 - 20 minutes a night and starts scoring

3. Prucha returns to NY after two weeks

4. Prucha gets inserted into the lineup on the 3rd line with Korpikoski and Fritsche for 9 minutes a night with zero powerplay time.

5. Prucha doesn't score after 3 or 4 games.

6. Prucha is scratched again.
As supposed to now?

Old
12-01-2008, 05:44 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
As supposed to now?
As I said, lose-lose. He has no chance on this team. Renney will never give him big minutes or powerplay time (no matter how terrible the PP is), especially if he's not scoring. Scoring on a line with a rookie center and a 3rd liner will never work. Dawes couldn't score, neither will Prucha.

It also doesn't help that the Rangers are the 6th worst in the league at scoring goals.

Unfortunately, Prucha's only chance is to be traded.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:46 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
As I said, lose-lose. He has no chance on this team. Renney will never give him big minutes or powerplay time (no matter how terrible the PP is), especially if he's not scoring. Scoring on a line with a rookie center and a 3rd liner will never work. Dawes couldn't score, neither will Prucha.

Unfortunately, Prucha's only chance is to be traded.
I don't know. There's at least a potential upside to going down.

Old
12-01-2008, 06:12 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Prucha is no longer a capable NHL player. Everyone assumed that since his rookie year that he would only get better. But like some players, he peaked in his first year. It was just a case of being in an optimal situation. His career is over and the Rangers need to do everything they can to try and get something for him in a trade while he is still under contract.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote