HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Belak traded for Nick Tarnasky

Old
11-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Sports24-7

vCash: 500
Belak traded for Nick Tarnasky

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...,7992081.story

Interesting move. Couldn't they have just claimed him?

Sports24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
What? **** Tarnasky. I'll never forgive him for the cheapshot on Allen last year.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 04:43 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Made the playoffs??

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I mean this is a salary dump since we save $800K, but really?

Tarnasky is garbage.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports24-7 View Post
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...,7992081.story

Interesting move. Couldn't they have just claimed him?
Sure, but this way Nashville dumps some salary to take on Belak's contract though why Nashville should be concerned about Cap Space with over $10,000,000 available escapes me. Though GR thinks he could add a little offense,

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...ers-trade.html

it will be very little. Tarnsky wasn't exactly a goal scoring machine in either juniors or the AHL, let alone the NHL.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...=nhl-predators

He's a fill-in body. Period. He also is signed through next season so why JM would want to add his contract instead of making a call-up from Rochester, most of which would figure to contribute as much or more than Tarnsky, also escapes me. This smells a lot more of a desire to get rid of Belak than making a roster improvement.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Sux to lose Belak. At least we have some toughness coming back as we could've had nothing. Good luck Wade, now you can go beat on Derek some more.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Sure, but this way Nashville dumps some salary to take on Belak's contract though why Nashville should be concerned about Cap Space with over $10,000,000 available escapes me. Though GR thinks he could add a little offense,

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...ers-trade.html

it will be very little. Tarnsky wasn't exactly a goal scoring machine in either juniors or the AHL, let alone the NHL.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...=nhl-predators

He's a fill-in body. Period. He also is signed through next season so why JM would want to add his contract instead of making a call-up from Rochester, most of which would figure to contribute as much or more than Tarnsky, also escapes me. This smells a lot more of a desire to get rid of Belak than making a roster improvement.
Maybe JM will try and Waive Tarnsky and see if somebody picks him up. Or buy him out at the end of the year to make room for one of the kids. Like Rattrick said, I also don't like the guy for his cheap shot on Allen. What kind of message does this send to him too? Hopefully Tarnsky is a throw-in in a bigger trade that's coming to get us some scoring help.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Georgia Panther

Matthias has been called up and will play tomorrow. Horton, Stillman and Zednik all out so things figure to get ugly or should I say uglier. i guess Matthias learned if you stink it up in the AHL it earns you a ticket to the big club. Cheap JM shot I know because of the injuries but ironic none the less.

If I was GM I would have called up Repik as well and gone the future is now route. Just say you guys, along with Frolik, are our second scoring line now and in the future and you will sink or swim together. Move Stewart up to the Express Line until Horton returns also.

Last edited by Georgia Panther: 11-27-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

I am so pissed by this move. Just disgusted.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 05:39 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Matthias has been called up and will play tomorrow. Horton, Stillman and Zednik all out so things figure to get ugly or should I say uglier. i guess Matthias learned if you stink it up in the AHL it earns you a ticket to the big club. Cheap JM shot I know because of the injuries but ironic none the less.

If I was GM I would have called up Repik as well and gone the future is now route. Just say you guys, along with Frolik, are our second scoring line now and in the future and you will sink or swim together. Move Stewart up to the Express Line until Horton returns also.
Yeah, I hate to reward Matthias too but it has proven to benefit him sometimes.

As for the Belak-for-Tarnasky move I honestly don't care yet. Tarnasky is our type of physical (big checker who can skate half-decently) and can put up more than 1 point every two years but can be a little too aggressive, while Belak is more of a fighter/pure enforcer. We can honestly say our 4th line is better but it does stink to lose a little bit in the locker room.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Wow...this move sucks. Incredibly stupid. Time to move Martin out the door. I don't have any patience for this crap. "Hey Allen, we got Tarnasky, who ya like them apples?"

11-27-2008, 05:55 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
I can't really say I'm upset with this trade. I just can't find what exactly Belak did for this team. He fought once. If no one is willing to fight him, he becomes useless. If the instigator penalty wasn't there, then it would be different, but it is and Belak is simply unable to do what he is payed to do. He doesn't seem to make the team any more confident when he's there. I just don't see how Belak was being an effective player. Wehther Tarnasky will be any more effective obviously remains to be seen, but I'm not going to condemn this move just yet.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Wow...can't understand the distaste for Tarnasky. You guys should be thrilled to get a scrappy player who works his ass off every shift in exchange for a goon that has basically done nothing for your team. Belak has played 32 games as a Panther, 17 last year and 15 this season...only averaging 4:24 of icetime and has played 66:09 total this season. Basically, he was a waste of a roster spot.

As a big fan of Tarno's when he was in Tampa, you guys I think will be happy with this trade soon enough, once you see how hard he battles. He can definitely play a solid 10-12 minutes a night if needed.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
Wow...can't understand the distaste for Tarnasky. You guys should be thrilled to get a scrappy player who works his ass off every shift in exchange for a goon that has basically done nothing for your team. Belak has played 32 games as a Panther, 17 last year and 15 this season...only averaging 4:24 of icetime and has played 66:09 total this season. Basically, he was a waste of a roster spot.

As a big fan of Tarno's when he was in Tampa, you guys I think will be happy with this trade soon enough, once you see how hard he battles. He can definitely play a solid 10-12 minutes a night if needed.
I'm sure I'll feel better about him as time goes on, but he doesn't scare anyone. I still have an issue with his dropping Allen with that sucker punch last season.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I'm sure I'll feel better about him as time goes on, but he doesn't scare anyone. I still have an issue with his dropping Allen with that sucker punch last season.
I think you probably will. Honestly, I miss him in our lineup. Heres that clip of his punch on Allen:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/37758

I remember that game. Refs should have let them go, thats one of many times I've seen a guy get sucker punched cause the refs won't let them go.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 07:32 PM
johano90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Wow...this move sucks. Incredibly stupid. Time to move Martin out the door. I don't have any patience for this crap. "Hey Allen, we got Tarnasky, who ya like them apples?"
I've always liked your posts and I agree with your desire for an enforcer, but I think you are overreacting quite a lot.

Let's face it, we don't need a guy to protect our skilled players, we aren't exactly loaded in that department. Granted Tarnasky may not scare anyone, but if he can run around and cause damage in the offensive zone, THAT is the type of player we need. In my opinion Chris Neil guys are much harder to play against than Belak or BGL. Plus, like Martin said, Tarnasky fits more into the system.

As for the Allen incident, sure, it was a dirty play and never should have happened. But these guys are professionals and should be able to move on.

johano90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 07:34 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post

i forgot about that punch. people have a long memory for that stuff i guess. allen understands this is a business and i'm sure if tarnasky can help us, he'll be all for it. heck, stewie and timmy have gotten past their beef, haven't they?

imo, though belak sounds like a good guy and a standup guy, the enforcer route clearly wasn't working for us. i thought he was a bit more effective last night just by mixing it up a few times after the whistle. still, that's not saying much; he a complete non-factor before. if tarnasky can play some regular shifts, bring some consistent grit and help set the tone for the team from the opening whistle, this is a good move. what this represents is an admission that an enforcer was not the answer for us. maybe a pest will help more. if it ain't workin', you gotta change course. that's what JM did.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Acadmus

The only thing that bothers me is that JM took a guy that's extremely popular with the other players on the team and traded him on a holiday for a guy that the other players have a reason to not like.

Moves like this will always have me antsy. Be interesting to see how it pans out.

11-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
The only thing that bothers me is that JM took a guy that's extremely popular with the other players on the team and traded him on a holiday for a guy that the other players have a reason to not like.

Moves like this will always have me antsy. Be interesting to see how it pans out.
I'm also questioning the timing of this move. After not being claimed, Belak expressed his happiness about being able to stay in Florida where his family is just starting to get settled and whatnot. I realize its a business, but during Thanksgiving? that's a little bit rude. Tarnasky is younger, but it's just another one of those guys who isn't going to make a huge difference or intimidate other teams one bit.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 07:48 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

First it was waiving Belak, now trading him after noone claimed him. Looks like another wake up call after that game last night. I dont know what to think of this, and I will just wait and see.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 07:53 PM
zeroG

Quote:

doesn't make a difference, methinks. these guys want to win more than anything else and if tarnasky fits deboer's system better (as JM said, more speed, quicker on the forecheck), it's better for the team. i think the guys get that. if he can come out tomorrow and impact the game, they'll all forget about wade pretty quickly.

regarding the timing, i'm guessing that JM felt it needed to be done and if it could be done in time to get tarnasky here for tomorrow's *big* game (esp considering how shorthanded we are), it should be. it seems cold but, again, it's a business..

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Heimy

This isn't anything earth shattering but I do like this move. Tarnasky probably played his best hockey against us, and not just for one game but quite a few. I'm hoping he'll be inspired to exact some revenge against his old team. If nothing else he'll be a strong fore-checker with sharp elbows.

Heimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 08:24 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:

That's actually the thing I like best about this move.

If we have seen how the players play when they are happy, then lets make them unhappy. Let them all go crying to their agents like little girlie men. If we are lucky they will all request and be granted trades, because outside of Ballard & McCabe (edit: add Booth), you can pretty much have the lot of them as far as I'm concerned.

I liked Belak, but after some initial impact he has been pretty invisible. The clear highlight of his season is winning a fight in a game where the team got shellacked... well that just about says it all about his impact. He will not be missed.

Last edited by angry_treefrog: 11-27-2008 at 11:00 PM.
angry_treefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Great8Cam

Quote:

It's not Wade's holiday - he's Canadian.

Either way, Good Luck Wade and family.

Great8Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

I like the trade. Belak isn't an agitator, Tarnasky definitely is. That's the kind of guy we need, and you can't have two skilless fighters in your lineup at the same time. I'd much rather have a guy like Tarnasky. Allen will forget about the incident last year pretty quickly, these guys are professionals and enemies become teammates through trades all the time. When a guy becomes your teammate, you forget about all that petty stuff and coming together as a team and winning is always more important.

I wish Wade well, he seems like a good guy, but by some people's own admission here nobody wanted to fight him, and he even said that himself. If he can't do what he's here to do, then he's pretty useless. Tarnasky is faster, fits better into DeBoer's system, and he'll agitate and like JM alluded to stir more things up with his physical play because he can actually make a lot more hits on people. Belak was too slow and couldn't really be a wrecking ball like Tarnasky can. I used to hate playing against him when he played us, he can be a real pain in the butt. That's why I like this move.

Tarnasky can also protect himself and his teammates well against pretty much any other pest and even some heavyweights. He'll also get more playing time no doubt. Belak didn't earn DeBoer's confidence and he consequently didn't play a whole lot. If he's playing less than 5 minutes a game, soemtimes only a couple minutes, and nobody will fight him, then he clearly isn't going to have a big impact in the deterrent department. Guys like Boynton and Tarnasky who play more and who other people will actually fight will be much better deterrents and protectors of the other players. Heavies who don't agitate have become pretty irrelevant in the game now, they really only fight eachother to give their teams a spark when they need it, and how often did Belak even do that? He just wasn't a good fit here, Tarnasky will be much more useful. Good move.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Great8Cam

I don't know. The Preds board is pretty happy to get rid of this guy.

Great8Cam is offline   Reply With Quote