HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Clb and Philly

Old
12-02-2008, 09:02 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Who cares, we didn't have any goaltending either at the time.
And now, we'd be on the verge of not having Carter OR Luongo for next season. Not trading Carter for Luongo was one of the best things Clarke never did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
When did Mason become God again? I know he's pretty good so far for his age but godddddd.
Wait, so you complain that the Flyers didn't trade Carter for Luongo, but you also complain when someone wants Carter for Steve Mason? Probably worth just as much to their future, moreover, it's not all that different than offering Carter for Luongo 2 1/2 years ago.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

vCash: 500
It is a fact that last year during the Brad Richards chase that Howson declared Mason as being untouchable. It is also a fact that Tampa was looking for a goalie that could play now, so I don't think that they really pushed for Mase to be thrown into the deal. I could be wrong, but that is how it seemed to play out.

The Jackets need a #1 or #2 center and a puck moving D-man to win now. However, the future at center is bright with Brassard playing well, and Filatov being groomed in the Cuse. Those 2 are the centers of the future.

The Jackets are probably still a season away from the play-offs, so why not let Mason get his first season bumps out of the way now.

If the Jackets start really looking like they have a legitamate shot at the play-offs by the trade deadline then a deal might be made, but not for Mason.

If not, look for them to stand pat, and make a few deals in the off season to augment their chances next year when Mason has a season under his belt, and Filatov is NHL ready.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
It's not because Gomez and Drury are terribly overpaid, and that he's a fan of the Rangers, that he can't say Briere is overpaid. They are all overpaid.

Also, in my opinion, Gomez and Drury are better than Briere.
The only problem with Brieres contract is the duration but we won’t know about it until he is actually in the middle of his contract. If Briere slows down after the age of 36 Flyers may think about moving him but thats 4 years from now, his contract is front loaded so if Flyers decide to move him I do not think it is going to be a problem.

Per rumors, Habs offered him the same money but 5-6 years.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 12-02-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 09:33 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
His contract is front loaded so if Flyers decide to move him I do not think it is going to be a problem.
For a small market team it won't be but for teams who cruise along the cap it will be a large problem.

And it doesn't drop off until the 2013 season anyway.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
For a small market team it won't be but for teams who cruise along the cap it will be a large problem.

And it doesn't drop off until the 2013 season anyway.
Well those are the teams I am referring too NOT MTL, TOR, NYR, DET and so on. I am talking about Florida, Atlanta, Columbus etc.

So as of now I do not see a problem.

Old
12-02-2008, 09:42 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Well those are the teams I am reffering too NOT MTL, TOR, NYR, DET and so on. I am talking about Florida, Atlanta, Columbus etc.

So as of now I do not see a problem.
but like I said that's still really quite a bit down the road. According to NHL numbers his salary doesn't drop below his cap hit until 2013.

Frankly the way things are going I've got to think they'll need to move him before that.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Thanks for the input there Mr. Howson, i didnt know you frequented these boards.

Give me a break, Unless you are infact mr. Howson then dont say someone isnt tradeable, thats ridiculous. In today's game star players are dealt. Not to mention Mason is far from a star player at this point.

I agree with Norrena, however it will become a crowded crease with both Mason and Leclaire competing for time, did you really want to go with Mason and Norrena for the remainder of the year and into the playoffs? That doesnt sound like such a good idea either.

Will Mason be dealt this year, or next? LIKELY not, i get so annoyed when fans go talking like they are the GM of a team, putting players on an untouchable. never to be traded list like they have some sort of say in it. For all you know there is deal in the works as we speak.
You evidently missed the numerous posts pointing out that last year near the trade deadline Howson actually came out and declared that Mason was untouchable, along with a few other players (Brassard and Voracek come to mind). Mason has only improved since and increased his value to this club. Does that make him more or less likely to be moved - especially considering all our other goaltenders are in major slumps at the moment? I'd say "less", and Howson has already publicly said "ain't gonna happen", so I think the assessment of "not a chance in hell" is fairly accurate.

When I say it's not going to happen this year or next, I don't mean "it's impossible, won't happen, forever and ever amen". I mean "right now the overpayment necessary would be so ridiculous that no GM worth his salt would realistically consider it; it's so impractical as to be virtually impossible." Most people are able to figure out that sort of thing.

Now, if we had MacLean still here, or fired Howson and hired Mike Milbury, maybe it's a little more likely. Maybe. (...actually, now that I think about it, scratch that first, 'cause MacLean was still GM when he was drafted, so he'd be too proud to trade Mase. )

Oh, and the whole "Mason and Norrena" bit makes it look like you're convinced that now that we have potentially two #1 goaltenders that we MUST trade one of them, because, y'know, that's just how it goes. Are you also the type to think that Pittsburgh is crazy because they haven't traded Malkin yet, even though they've had no need to do so?

Please come back when you have something sensible and original to say.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Ellipson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
You evidently missed the numerous posts pointing out that last year near the trade deadline Howson actually came out and declared that Mason was untouchable, along with a few other players (Brassard and Voracek come to mind). Mason has only improved since and increased his value to this club. Does that make him more or less likely to be moved - especially considering all our other goaltenders are in major slumps at the moment? I'd say "less", and Howson has already publicly said "ain't gonna happen", so I think the assessment of "not a chance in hell" is fairly accurate.

When I say it's not going to happen this year or next, I don't mean "it's impossible, won't happen, forever and ever amen". I mean "right now the overpayment necessary would be so ridiculous that no GM worth his salt would realistically consider it; it's so impractical as to be virtually impossible." Most people are able to figure out that sort of thing.

Now, if we had MacLean still here, or fired Howson and hired Mike Milbury, maybe it's a little more likely. Maybe. (...actually, now that I think about it, scratch that first, 'cause MacLean was still GM when he was drafted, so he'd be too proud to trade Mase. )

Oh, and the whole "Mason and Norrena" bit makes it look like you're convinced that now that we have potentially two #1 goaltenders that we MUST trade one of them, because, y'know, that's just how it goes. Are you also the type to think that Pittsburgh is crazy because they haven't traded Malkin yet, even though they've had no need to do so?

Please come back when you have something sensible and original to say.
This should be the end of the thread. Excellent post.

For evidence:http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live...K.html?sid=101

Quote:
The Blue Jackets would not part with goaltender Pascal Leclaire, and they don't have much depth defensively. Howson has said the Blue Jackets' two top prospects -- right winger Jakub Voracek and goaltender Steve Mason -- are untouchable.
After a stellar start in the NHL, I see no reason why this has changed in the last 10 months.

Last edited by Ellipson: 12-02-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Ellipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellipson View Post
This should be the end of the thread. Excellent post.

For evidence:http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live...K.html?sid=101

After a stellar start in the NHL, I see no reason why this has changed in the last 10 months.
Because on HF, when you're playing well, your value skyrockets which means it's time you trade Player X since it's the most you can get for him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:53 AM
cbj21

Right now its as likely Mason will be traded as it is that Nash would be traded.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj21 View Post
Right now its as likely Mason will be traded as it is that Nash would be traded.
Using the trade rumors/proposals board as a basis....

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Palinka: 12-02-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:11 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Wait, so you complain that the Flyers didn't trade Carter for Luongo, but you also complain when someone wants Carter for Steve Mason? Probably worth just as much to their future, moreover, it's not all that different than offering Carter for Luongo 2 1/2 years ago.
Carter 2.5 years ago is way different than Carter now. Just like Mason now is way different from Mason in 2.5 years.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:14 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I follow the Flyers very closely on Centre Ice, rarely missing a game and go to a number of games in Philly every year (with a detour to Pat's King of Steaks!). I am also a Blue Jackets season ticket holder. I know those two teams better than any others. Biron and Nittymaki will never get the Flyers over the top. I also believe both Mason and LeClaire can and will be legit #1 goalies for a long time.

Philly has an embarrassment of riches at center and when healthy at defense. The last great Flyer #1 was #27.

We have potentially an embarrassment of riches at goalie. Give us a center and a defenseman and get a #1 goalie!
sure. metropolit and kukkonen for mason

as a bonus, kukkonen can play center too.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj21 View Post
I'd actually put Nash as *more* likely than Mason to be traded, simply because we've got two blue-chip wings - Voracek and Filatov (altho Filatov may convert to center) - and last I heard Mayorov is making a good case for inclusion on that list as well. So if the chances of Mason being traded are one in eleventy billion, I'd put Nash's at, oh, two in eleventy billion.

...OMG that's twice as likely! Someone get Burke on the phone!

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:30 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
sure. metropolit and kukkonen for mason

as a bonus, kukkonen can play center too.
Nice-

If you want to trade with Columbus for Mason, think of the Forsberg to Nashville trade. Then add Nittymaki or Biron

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:57 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
And now, we'd be on the verge of not having Carter OR Luongo for next season. Not trading Carter for Luongo was one of the best things Clarke never did.

Steve Mason isn't Roberto Luongo yet. Roberto Luongo was getting shutout after shutout in back-to-back 40+ shot games in FLA. It was obvious that he was/is a stud and he was fairly young. Getting a stud goaltender is the hardest thing to get in the NHL, and he'd be worth every bit of what we would've had to have given up (pending it was like Carter and Richards or something insane).

I will give Jeff Carter for Robert Luongo right now without hesitation. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. I want one of the 3 best goalies in the NHL who isn't going to stop anytime soon. I'm tired of coming up short in the playoffs either because of goaltending or because of defense.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
And Kaktus, clearly your powers of analysis need a tune up because perhaps the reason that Briere has more points than Gomez and Drury is that the Rangers have practically no other offensive talent other than Zherdev, who Drury and Gomez don't usually play with. The Rangers are a defensive team. The Flyers are full of offensive talent. It's no surprise that Briere has better numbers. The Rangers play a defense-first system, the Flyers don't.
So the Rangers are a defensive team or maybe Rangers are a defensive BECAUSE Drury and Gomez can not score? Or Rangers are a defensive team because Henrick is the man? Basically Henrick is the team and thats why your D looks good (more or less).

Rangers had Shanny, Jagr, Straka, Avery last year. How come they could not score? Are you saying that Zherdev and Nazlund are better then those 4 players?

Or maybe Gomez and Drury are 40-50 and 50-70pts players at this point?

Last edited by Kaktus*: 12-02-2008 at 01:16 PM.