HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ugly

Old
12-01-2008, 08:26 PM
sba

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Ugly

Good:
Miller

Bad:
everything else

Ugly:
probably the least exciting Sabres game since the lockout, maybe even before that

Ideas:
Fire Ruff
Trade whatever isn't Vanek that you can for a real center

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:27 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

vCash: 50
Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
really boring regardless of outcome

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:29 PM
SpachoMan

Send a message via AIM to SpachoMan
Good:
Miller
Spacek/Sekera
Rinne

Bad:
Roy
Mancari
Seeing the grinders (Mair, Goose, Paille) out on the ice for a majority of the last 5 minutes in must-score situations.

Ugly: the bank. was it really a sell out? Man, what a joke.

SpachoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Afino
The Juice

It was a sellout because RJ was on the tickets.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:34 PM
hottytoddy

Good: Jesus ****ing mother of god christ almighty
Bad: **** this ************ pansy ass hockey
Ugly: **** **** **** kucf **** son of a **** and this ****ing blows.

When the only player on your team that contributes is the ****ing goalie, you have a huge problem.

hottytoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:42 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Good job by our on-ice leaders in Vanek and Miller tonight. An ABYSMAL game across the board from everyone else. And not to slight Thomas and Ryan, but the two of them as our only on-ice leaders is enough to put us just where we were last year: outside looking in.

Frankly, it's my fault that I get so emotionally into my teams... but games like this are "week ruiners" if you know what I mean. They eat away at my brain in my down time. I ask myself things like "how can a professional team play such a terrible game like that" or "is Regier ****ing serious?" or "can we get Derek Roy out of my ****ing sightline please?"

I'm pissed. I don't know if it's time to burn it down yet, but I have to admit: the thought has crept into my mind for the first time post lockout...

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:44 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Good job by our on-ice leaders in Vanek and Miller tonight. An ABYSMAL game across the board from everyone else. And not to slight Thomas and Ryan, but the two of them as our only on-ice leaders is enough to put us just where we were last year: outside looking in.

Frankly, it's my fault that I get so emotionally into my teams... but games like this are "week ruiners" if you know what I mean. They eat away at my brain in my down time. I ask myself things like "how can a professional team play such a terrible game like that" or "is Regier ****ing serious?" or "can we get Derek Roy out of my ****ing sightline please?"

I'm pissed. I don't know if it's time to burn it down yet, but I have to admit: the thought has crept into my mind for the first time post lockout...
Frankly, I didn't think Vanek was good at all tonight.

This team just fell apart when the first goal went in. On-ice leaders? There are no leaders on this team.

misterchainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:47 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post

This team just fell apart when the first goal went in. On-ice leaders? There are no leaders on this team.
Not Vanek's best game by any means. Actually one of his poorer of the season. But he has come far enough to where his bad games don't hurt us and he is still better than every other forward we have those nights. I hope he maintains.

That said, Vanek and Miller are current on-ice leaders. They bring intensity every game. It's still not good enough, and we'll still miss the playoffs if we don't shake something up drastically.

Old
12-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Kruschiki

Good:

Tivo
Fast Forward

Bad:
Only 5 speeds of Fast Forward
'A Miller shutout'

Ugly:
This team is 3 forwards short of having top-2 lines of talent.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:50 PM
hottytoddy

Quote:

Not to drudge this up again, but it's been all downhill for this team since we let Drury and Briere walk. They made this team go and we certainly haven't had anyone since to fill their shoes.

hottytoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubs View Post
Not to drudge this up again, but it's been all downhill for this team since we let Drury and Briere walk. They made this team go and we certainly haven't had anyone since to fill their shoes.
I still contend it started happening when they were here. January of their last season.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:55 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Not Vanek's best game by any means. Actually one of his poorer of the season. But he has come far enough to where his bad games don't hurt us and he is still better than every other forward we have those nights. I hope he maintains.

That said, Vanek and Miller are current on-ice leaders. They bring intensity every game. It's still not good enough, and we'll still miss the playoffs if we don't shake something up drastically.
Better than every other forwards on his worst nights? No way. Even tonight, when offense was extremely hard to come by, there were a couple forwards I preferred more (Paille, Gaustad come to mind immediately), and plenty who he was even with.

Did Vanek hurt us tonight? No. But he sure didn't help either.

As for the on-ice leadership thing...if this team HAD an on-ice leader (not including the goalie, who can't really do a whole lot), they wouldn't have fallen apart like they did after Arnott scored. This game was a very even game until MacArthur's brainfart led to the first goal, and if the Sabres had gotten the first goal, this kind of game could have been exactly what the Sabres needed to reaffirm their committment to defense.

But these ****ing mistakes and lapses of concentration keep happening game after game. It's time to start holding players accountable (and not just Max and Hank) for these horrendous giveaways and defensive lapses. I can't help but feel that if Drury or Briere were here Clarke would be getting an earful at the next practice (at the latest) and that the team would not have completely collapsed like they did.

misterchainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Tra La La

Ugly: There's going to be a lot more of this to come. They will be out of playoff contention before anything is done. Come trade deadline they'll dump what they can.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:59 PM
gallagt01

Can people get off of Vaneks **** please? He has had a really great season thus far but he didn't do anything good tonight. Nothing particularly bad, but nothing good either.

Good:
-Miller.
-I thought Stafford had a decent game.
-Good to see JP get one.

Bad:
-Not having your franchise goalscoring winger on the ice late.
D-men inability to get shots to the net. Just get it through I don't even care if it goes wide.

Ugly:
-Shutout at home.
-Inconsistency.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:01 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpachoMan View Post
Ugly: the bank. was it really a sell out? Man, what a joke.
Were you at the game? Yes it was a sell out, every seat full, and about a million kids who were dying to cheer for anything. But they couldn't since it was THE MOST BORING GAME OF ALL TIME. Are you really calling out the fans after that game?

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:11 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Better than every other forwards on his worst nights? No way. Even tonight, when offense was extremely hard to come by, there were a couple forwards I preferred more (Paille, Gaustad come to mind immediately), and plenty who he was even with.

Did Vanek hurt us tonight? No. But he sure didn't help either.

As for the on-ice leadership thing...if this team HAD an on-ice leader (not including the goalie, who can't really do a whole lot), they wouldn't have fallen apart like they did after Arnott scored. This game was a very even game until MacArthur's brainfart led to the first goal, and if the Sabres had gotten the first goal, this kind of game could have been exactly what the Sabres needed to reaffirm their committment to defense.

But these ****ing mistakes and lapses of concentration keep happening game after game. It's time to start holding players accountable (and not just Max and Hank) for these horrendous giveaways and defensive lapses. I can't help but feel that if Drury or Briere were here Clarke would be getting an earful at the next practice (at the latest) and that the team would not have completely collapsed like they did.
Disagree on Vanek, but great post otherwise. I wasn't completely satisfied with the team defense because I thought Nashville sucked, but it could have done wonders for the team mentally.

Old
12-01-2008, 09:12 PM
SpachoMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Were you at the game? Yes it was a sell out, every seat full, and about a million kids who were dying to cheer for anything. But they couldn't since it was THE MOST BORING GAME OF ALL TIME. Are you really calling out the fans after that game?
It was silent and totally uncharacteristic of what we've done. I'm not "calling out the fans" but I'm just disappointed that they seemed as full of life as the Sabres.

Old
12-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Dear Buffalo Sports Teams,

**** YOU.

Love,
PK

Penalty Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:15 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

i don't know what the stats say, but roy is useless on faceoffs.I said something about it in the previous GBU and I was in attendance tonight so I made a point to look lout for this. The guy loses every single important FO. be it on the PP or late in the 3rd when the other team had icing called against them. it's unfair of me to single out roy, but he's supposed to be our #1 center and the guy cannot win a FO when it matters.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Clock

Quote:
Quiet as a whisper in there tonight.

Some dude was actually yelling out "BORING!" and getting applauded for it in one of the sections to the right of 327.

Anyhow, pathetic game. More **** like that is certainly going to help prevent the arena from selling out as consistently as we're used to.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpachoMan View Post
It was silent and totally uncharacteristic of what we've done. I'm not "calling out the fans" but I'm just disappointed that they seemed as full of life as the Sabres.
Dude...they were ready to explode each scoring chance...I'm not even kidding you...in the section to the right of me there were about 20 preteens who each had a sign going nuts for no reason...this was far from the worst crowd I've seen this year, the Islanders loss a few games back was much worse.

Edit: @ Clock oh well, I guess it's my own subjective call on that

Old
SpachoMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
i don't know what the stats say, but roy is useless on faceoffs.I said something about it in the previous GBU and I was in attendance tonight so I made a point to look lout for this. The guy loses every single important FO. be it on the PP or late in the 3rd when the other team had icing called against them. it's unfair of me to single out roy, but he's supposed to be our #1 center and the guy cannot win a FO when it matters.
It really hurts us on the PP because we always lose that first draw and need to burn 20ish seconds recovering.

Old
12-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Clock

Quote:
Dude...they were ready to explode each scoring chance...I'm not even kidding you...in the section to the right of me there were about 20 preteens who each had a sign going nuts for no reason...this was far from the worst crowd I've seen this year, the Islanders loss a few games back was much worse.
Yup. Everyone perked up if we just got into the opposing zone.

The bottom line was we had nothing to cheer for. The end.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:18 PM
aceface33

In Buffalo our sports teams suck but at least we have horizontal wet snow to enjoy after the game! Oh wait...

Old
12-01-2008, 09:18 PM
SpachoMan

Quote:

Edit: @ Clock oh well, I guess it's my own subjective call on that
You misunderstand me. As I said, I'm not blaming or calling out the fans. It's just sickening that in a sell out game it was so silent, and the blame falls on the team for that.