HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev couldnt be THAT bad, could he?

Old
11-26-2008, 09:50 PM
mario66lemieux*

vCash: 500
Kovalev couldnt be THAT bad, could he?

21 5 11 16

Tied for 4th in goals on the team
Tied for 2nd in assists (with Koivu) on the team
Tied for 3rd in points (with Markov) on the team

Only 2 pts off of leader tanguay...

Are the habs players really that bad or is Kovalev not as bad as people are making him out to be?

mario66lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 09:53 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

It's because people think he should do as good or better then last season.

My pre-season prediction was somewhere between 25-30G and 70ish PTS. I think he'll be around there.

He usually gets better as the reason progresses anyways.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

His offensive stats aren't horrible, but what about giveaways? He turns the puck over so many times it's frightening.

This is not the Kovalev of last season.

He does not seem to be playing with the same drive.....although he has looked a little better the past couple of games.

He looks like he needs a Gainey pep talk to straighten him out a bit.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Fire Brunet*

The guy is getting older...

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Stradale

Some members here just like hating him.

Its getting terribly annoying.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Lone Rogue

I'd prefer Kovalev end the season with 40 points and play a team game like he did tonight than Kovalev end the season with 100 points and become useless again like he did in the post-season when two players swarm him.

The team game contributes a lot more for us.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:07 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Enough with the stats!!! We know who he is, but watch him play. When he passes coming into the zone, we do something. When he tries to dance with the puck, almost always nothing comes from it. The reason some are so annoyed by his play goes beyond stats, it's just the way he is playing.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:07 PM
BadHabit

Besides for the usual Kovy turnovers, there's nothing wrong with his game in my books. He still sets up great plays, is one of the only guys we have that can carry the puck in, and he could break out at any second and score that big goal you need.

He's still a force in my opinion, and we'd miss him if he wasn't here.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Ross MacLochness

I used to be a huge Kovalev fan, but for whatever reason this year I'm just tired of the way he plays. I don't like how he can drag down a line when he's not playing his best and how he doesn't make those around him better. Last year was magical, the guy deserves major props for having probably the best year of his career at the age of 35. But I'm just really starting to tire of his style of play and would much rather a Brendan Morrow type of player in his spot.

But one thing I still love about him is that he usually steps up in the playoffs.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:08 PM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Enough with the stats!!! We know who he is, but watch him play. When he passes coming into the zone, we do something. When he tries to dance with the puck, almost always nothing comes from it. The reason some are so annoyed by his play goes beyond stats, it's just the way he is playing.
Perhaps its the way his linemates are playing around him. It's a possibility you know - how good have they looked? Once everyone starts clicking again, he'll look like the Kovy of old.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

I think last year he was so incredible that he made the team thinks they were better than they really were. It was like suddenly the Habs had magically got a super-player. The main reason this team has trouble this year it's that this player is nowhere to be found now and everybody look lost and wondering why they're not as good. It's because of the laws of physics just made everything returned to normal with Kovy returned as he was in the last 5 or 7 years, soft, selfish etc...Now the guys will have to realise that they're an average team with some skills. And will have to work as hard as everybody else.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Captain Saku

I always think he's having an okay game until when I come here after the game and see everyone bashing him!

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:13 PM
HabsPack

All Kovy has to concentrate on is cutting down his turnovers, and if his linemates could pot a few on his setups no one would be complaining. I'm actually surprised at the hate-on for Kovy around here, he never was a "huge" star, but he's the most talented player the Habs have had for a long time ... 25/45 for 70 (plus cutting down on the giveaways) is all that we should expect considering he is getting older.

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:14 PM
HabsPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
I always think he's having an okay game until when I come here after the game and see everyone bashing him!
Agreed, some of it is surely sheep mentality.

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPack View Post
Agreed, some of it is surely sheep mentality.
He only has to play good and people will embrace him.

See last year he solved all his problems in his plays by not playing soft, by doing things simple and only going nuts with the puck when he had an opportunity. He's not doing that this year.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:22 PM
CDJ

I don't think I can speak for all of you, but I think he lacks the drive he had last year. Last year he played like a mad man

CDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:56 PM
LastRide

Its his tunovers that is killing us. The dude turns the puck over ten times a game. His lazy passes and poor work ethic.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Turboflex*

Normally I'm a Kovalev fan, stats aside he has had some really brutal games this season where he's been listless and incredibly sloppy. As usual Kovalev's problems are mental, the habs really need him to play like he did tonight and not just drift around with 1 hand on his stick so I hope he finds more games liek tonight otherwise habs are in trouble.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 11:07 PM
TheCH*

People love to nitpick his faults, but people you will find many faults in any individuals game(even Ovechkin's) if thats all you concentrate on while you watch.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 11:37 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Perhaps its the way his linemates are playing around him. It's a possibility you know - how good have they looked? Once everyone starts clicking again, he'll look like the Kovy of old.
But he doesn't pass the puck to his linemates. I have noticed that when he enters the zone, and lets say about 60% of the time, nothing comes of it.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Brass

TurnoverMain Entry: 1turn·over
Pronunciation: \ˈtərn-ˌō-vər\
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
1: an act or result of turning over : upset
2: a turning from one side, place, or direction to its opposite : shift , reversal
3: a reorganization with a view to a shift in personnel : shake-up
4: something that is turned over
5: a filled pastry made by folding half of the crust over the other halfhmmm

Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 11:59 PM
TomPlex

Guys are too hard on him on these boards, but that's the nature of HF. We most often demand perfection from players and every week we'll have a new whipping-boy when we don't get that perfection.

Kovalev hasn't been amazing this season, and that may be an overstatement to most of you, but I truly believe it's simply that. The guy is still putting up points. The most important thing IMO is that he's giving effort. Many of you forget how poor his effort and desire to win was two seasons ago.

If you compare the Kovy of today with the Kovy of two seasons ago, I think you'll realize that a lot of you are overreacting. Sure, he's giving the puck up, but he's still trying. And I honestly think that it's just a matter of time before those possessions go his way. He'll start dazzling us soon, don't you worry... He just needs to gain some momentum.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
It's not like he's floating every time he's on the ice. He's trying, stuff aren't working right now.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 02:02 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
His offensive stats aren't horrible, but what about giveaways? He turns the puck over so many times it's frightening.

This is not the Kovalev of last season.

He does not seem to be playing with the same drive.....although he has looked a little better the past couple of games.

He looks like he needs a Gainey pep talk to straighten him out a bit.
I think you nailed it on the head. If you just looked at his stats, you'd say he is having an okay year but his demeanor on the ice is of that of someone who just doesn't care. Its the lack of second effort and backchecking. Its just not last years Kovalev. He seems to lack the fire.

Plekanec is helping out by any means though and Kosty has turned around his game lately. I just wish i saw more intensity out of him.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 06:59 AM
HellasLEAF
Coach Babcock :D

Kovalev will become more potent and show more urgency as the season progresses. He is really not that far off last seasons pace at this point last year. Plekanec and AK 46 should have their own threads too.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote