HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#24 -- Lightning at Flyers -- December 2, 2008 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-02-2008, 07:58 PM
  #276
Opus
Boondoggle
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
This league excels in inconsistencies.
The thing consistent about this league, is it's inconsistencies.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 07:58 PM
  #277
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Is it wrong of me, that whenever i see Asham fight, i keep expecting him to do some karate ****?

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 07:59 PM
  #278
RinkOnEStreet
Registered User
 
RinkOnEStreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
Have you ever watched a hockey game? Guys are constantly hit in the back along the boards in similar plays. Your guy was a few inches off the boards, which was his fault. He didn't leave his skates and it was a solid hit no different than anything else I've ever seen. I watched the whole thing and thought "nice hit"...then a boarding call and misconduct? Wow. At most a two minute charging. At the most.
First of all it's not my guy. I have absolutely no stake in the play. You don't need to get defensive about it, because we are simply talking about a game. Upshall was looking at his numbers the entire time and decided to lay the hit regardless. It should have been a two minute penalty for boarding. End of story. There is a reason players are not to be hit when facing the boards like that, because it's dangerous. It shouldn't have been a major, however a penalty was warranted.

RinkOnEStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 07:59 PM
  #279
Edd3987
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Haha Avery is hilarious. If he was talking about Phaneuf going out with Elisha Cuthbert, that's hardly sloppy seconds. I'd take a high number of sloppiness to hook up with her.

Edd3987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:00 PM
  #280
BerubeBox*
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Why? He's 100% correct. It already happened with Moore, and everyone still remember Bertuzzi for that. No use in letting it happen again.
I don't agree with you whatsoever, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of other threads to talk about it in.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:00 PM
  #281
FlyersCup08
Registered User
 
FlyersCup08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
Anyone hear Avery's comments about ex girlfriends? Haha
Classic. He's lucky he was suspended though b/c Phaneuf would have train wrecked him.

Side Note: The Stars owner said had the league not suspended him the Stars would have. For a clasy organization I don't know why they acquired Avery, he doesn't suit them (also Ott doesn't fit in).

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:01 PM
  #282
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkOnEStreet View Post
First of all it's not my guy. I have absolutely no stake in the play. You don't need to get defensive about it, because we are simply talking about a game. Upshall was looking at his numbers the entire time and decided to lay the hit regardless. It should have been a two minute penalty for boarding. End of story. There is a reason players are not to be hit when facing the boards like that, because it's dangerous. It shouldn't have been a major, however a penalty was warranted.
First off he had the puck and Chose to turn his back on the play. Upshall didn't even enter with any speed to hit him. It was not a penalty, simply put.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:02 PM
  #283
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,997
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
Classic. He's lucky he was suspended though b/c Phaneuf would have train wrecked him.

Side Note: The Stars owner said had the league not suspended him the Stars would have. For a clasy organization I don't know why they acquired Avery, he doesn't suit them (also Ott doesn't fit in).
Hull wanted to add some "fire and emotion" to the team. Hull also played in Detroit with Avery in 01-02 and 02-03.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:02 PM
  #284
Raffl House
Registered User
 
Raffl House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkOnEStreet View Post
First of all it's not my guy. I have absolutely no stake in the play. You don't need to get defensive about it, because we are simply talking about a game. Upshall was looking at his numbers the entire time and decided to lay the hit regardless. It should have been a two minute penalty for boarding. End of story. There is a reason players are not to be hit when facing the boards like that, because it's dangerous. It shouldn't have been a major, however a penalty was warranted.
Thats fine...I'm not getting defensive at all. But your saying a hit which happens in every game on a frequent basis when a guy is along the boards and clears the zone warrents a penalty. I disagree. I think it was a borderline charging call, but thats because I'm trying to be objective.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:03 PM
  #285
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkOnEStreet View Post
First of all it's not my guy. I have absolutely no stake in the play. You don't need to get defensive about it, because we are simply talking about a game. Upshall was looking at his numbers the entire time and decided to lay the hit regardless. It should have been a two minute penalty for boarding. End of story. There is a reason players are not to be hit when facing the boards like that, because it's dangerous. It shouldn't have been a major, however a penalty was warranted.
How about Flyers give him 10-20 seocnds to dig the puck out and let him make a play. Is that ok?

You know what players will do real soon? Turn their backs and wait for a hit, fake a penalty.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:03 PM
  #286
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
I enjoy Avery.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:03 PM
  #287
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Is it wrong of me, that whenever i see Asham fight, i keep expecting him to do some karate ****?
It's probably wrong since he's Canadian and Native?

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:05 PM
  #288
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Is it wrong of me, that whenever i see Asham fight, i keep expecting him to do some karate ****?
Lui Kang?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:05 PM
  #289
Raffl House
Registered User
 
Raffl House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
It's probably wrong since he's Canadian and Native?
Yeah, sounds pretty borderline there. Leave the karate jokes for Riles

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:05 PM
  #290
TOCxNJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jersey Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 1,524
vCash: 500
This Upshall thing is really bothering me. I can't believe it was a penalty let alone getting the misconduct.

What a joke. That hit happens 348729836492 times a game every game. I'm so confused by this. I've watched the hit a handful of times and just can't believe it. What a horrible job at officiating.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:06 PM
  #291
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Lui Kang?
Shang Tsung

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:06 PM
  #292
Raffl House
Registered User
 
Raffl House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCxNJ View Post
This Upshall thing is really bothering me. I can't believe it was a penalty let alone getting the misconduct.

What a joke. That hit happens 348729836492 times a game every game. I'm so confused by this. I've watched the hit a handful of times and just can't believe it. What a horrible job at officiating.
It is amazing...we see it all the time. It's finishing your check -- I don't understand how its a penalty, and then the misconduct is just insulting.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:06 PM
  #293
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
I don't agree with you whatsoever, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of other threads to talk about it in.
As much as I have no problem seeing Avery get knocked the **** out, the NHL has worked hard for 3+ years to pull itself out of the gutter and start to make a push as a legit sport. Another Moore incident could damage its already fragile reputation.

But, to each's own.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:07 PM
  #294
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Shang Tsung
Does Aaron Asham really steal souls?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:07 PM
  #295
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
That call was, in a word, stupefying. I could have accepted a 2-minute penalty, but a major and game misconduct is a joke. I just hope Stevens doesn't punish Upshall for this.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:07 PM
  #296
RinkOnEStreet
Registered User
 
RinkOnEStreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
Thats fine...I'm not getting defensive at all. But your saying a hit which happens in every game on a frequent basis when a guy is along the boards and clears the zone warrents a penalty. I disagree. I think it was a borderline charging call, but thats because I'm trying to be objective.
Watch it again, especially from the corner angle. His face and shoulders come square against the glass, which tells me that he was hit square in the back. It was more of a board in my opinion.

My original point, however, was that intent rather than injury is what should determine punishment. It shouldn't have been a major, but whether he was hurt or not shouldn't determine the length or severity of the penalty. If a guy takes a baseball swing at a players head with his stick but misses he should be suspended for just as long as if he had connected. The league walks a very fine line with dangerous plays and they need to be sure to cut out the ones which are preventable.

RinkOnEStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:07 PM
  #297
McNasty
Registered User
 
McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 5,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
I enjoy Avery.
I think hes hilarious, it's not half as bad as some of the stuff i'm sure is said on the ice.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:07 PM
  #298
BerubeBox*
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,086
vCash: 500
Well at least briere got some pims.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:08 PM
  #299
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Does Aaron Asham really steal souls?
Somebody has to. Downie got traded.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:10 PM
  #300
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Great kill... Biron didn't have to make any tough saves.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.