HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#24 -- Lightning at Flyers -- December 2, 2008 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
12-02-2008, 10:20 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Richards, regarding "the glove" (with a smile on his face and reporters laughing):

Also, Stevens basically said Upshall's major was warranted. Seriously, we're back to this? Stand up for the guy you *****.
I am sorry but I missed Upshalls incident...I saw a real quick replay but couldn't judge.

was it that bad?

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:22 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange and black48 View Post
I am sorry but I missed Upshalls incident...I saw a real quick replay but couldn't judge.

was it that bad?
No, it certainly wasn't. It was maybe a two-minute minor, but certainly not grounds to kicking a player out of the game.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:23 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 102
I hope everyone including the team realizes how big this was.

The Flyers overcame the power of Downie:
-Carle a late scratch
-Briere gets hurt again
-Upshall gets a brutal game misconduct - that was a minor, no way that's a major (and then Nodl gets crosschecked in the back, but the refs somehow only sees Briere with the hook)
-All former Flyers who played in the game got a point (Prospal, Recchi, Downie, Eminger, even Tocchet was on the bench)
-All kinds of penalties
-Crazy goal by Prospal
-Downie freaken ties game
-A stellar game by Mike Smith (although that's been most of the season)
-A real bad blocked shot by Sbisa led to Hartnell doing one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in throwing his glove, but being that it's Hartnell, I wasn't entirely surprised. 16 seconds left to boot.
-As a result, Biron, whose one-on-one results are mixed as best, stops Ryan Malone not once - but twice.

Flyers catch a break and get a power play in overtime - and the good teams cash in on such chances. It's good that the team keeps winning games in overtime since we suck in shootouts.

The Flyers overcame all these things to win the game. The Lightning can have the point - this is a win to be proud of, I feel.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:27 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange and black48 View Post

was it that bad?
It is the kind of hit they want to stop, but it wasn't a major, not even close, in my opinion.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:30 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

-Carle a late scratch
-Briere gets hurt again
-Upshall gets a brutal game misconduct - that was a minor, no way that's a major (and then Nodl gets crosschecked in the back, but the refs somehow only sees Briere with the hook)
-All former Flyers who played in the game got a point (Prospal, Recchi, Downie, Eminger, even Tocchet was on the bench)
-All kinds of penalties
-Crazy goal by Prospal
-A real bad blocked shot by Sbisa led to Hartnell doing one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in throwing his glove, but being that it's Hartnell, I wasn't entirely surprised. 16 seconds left to boot.
-As a result, Biron, whose one-on-one results are mixed as best, stops Ryan Malone not once - but twice.

Flyers catch a break and get a power play in overtime - and the good teams cash in on such chances. It's good that the team keeps winning games in overtime since we suck in shootouts.

The Flyers overcame all these things to win the game. The Lightning can have the point - this is a win to be proud of, I feel.
So you made your golf-clap?

Just Kidding. Yup, this was an important victory. Certainly one for the archives. This game was very entertaining, even though I missed the first half of the first period.

Old
12-02-2008, 10:31 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Missed the game due to work. **** you work. Anyway, got in my car to hear the game summary, then read this. How many Damn penalties were called on us!? I know the league is hatting on our PK ability. Hate on it Gary, hate on it. I guess I'll watch the game now. I hated hearing Downie scored his 1st goal against us. ****ing *****.

PS/Edit- I love Kimmo.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:31 PM
BWAVgal
Believe in Hextall

vCash: 50
It was an okay game tonight, reffing was awful both ways. I wasn't shocked to hear that 1/3 of the game was spent on special teams. Unreal. Refs need to let the boys play a little. Found it funny that all the goals were scored by ex-Flyers, Eminger would have capped it off.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Carterfor60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
It is the kind of hit they want to stop, but it wasn't a major, not even close, in my opinion.
The reason it was a Major, is because the guy was cut. By NHL rule, when a boarding penalty results in an injury to the head. It is an automatic Major and a Game misconduct.

Carterfor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Carterfor60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Richards, regarding "the glove" (with a smile on his face and reporters laughing):

Also, Stevens basically said Upshall's major was warranted. Seriously, we're back to this? Stand up for the guy you *****.
I listened to Stevens Press conference after the game. I didn't hear him say that. He explained what the ref told him, why he made the call he did.

Carterfor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:35 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

I am def. gonna pick up myself a Kimmo jersey soon.

Old
12-02-2008, 10:39 PM
chaosof99*

TSN has highlights including the Upshall hit.

Old
12-02-2008, 10:43 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

In their last 11 games, the team has 18 points out of a possible 22 -- that is about a winning percentage of 82%.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterfor60 View Post
I listened to Stevens Press conference after the game. I didn't hear him say that. He explained what the ref told him, why he made the call he did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens
I just saw it briefly, I think initially he was gonna get a penalty and I think it is a penalty and then they kicked him out because I think he got cut on the play. I don't think there was any intent but I think he's gotta let up in that situation.
Really? One of only two tenacious forecheckers in the top 9 has to let up on a hit. Umm, no. This team is soft as Charmin toiletpaper right now, we don't need Upshall letting up on hits. It was a crappy call and after all the times Stevens has taken a giant steaming dump on Upshall during games by benching him or during pressers by lambasting him for next to nothing, this was an opportunity to stand up for him because he's had a pretty good year so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I am def. gonna pick up myself a Kimmo jersey soon.
Yep, he has solved my dilemma of getting an orange with the ugly 1 on the back.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:04 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Yep, he has solved my dilemma of getting an orange with the ugly 1 on the back.
Yeah, agree with you on that.

Old
12-02-2008, 11:08 PM
AaronTrieu

i just watched the upshall replay. I don't even think that was boarding. Scotty took an extra step so they could have called it charging...but that is a stretch as well.....that call was horse crap. incredible

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:14 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
How do we know Scotty didn't take an intuitive and analytical approach to the breakaway, saw that Malone had Gaston beaten and then took the immediate action of preserving the tie by tossing his glove, therefore, giving Marty time to reposition himself for a penalty shot which, again, Hartnell had the prescience that Biron would stop.

BBQ chicken all around
Even though the rebound from Malone's breakaway almost deflected off Hartnell and went in anyway.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
The stock of your signature just went up 4 internets.
Quoted for truth!

Quote:

-Carle a late scratch
-Briere gets hurt again
-All kinds of penalties
-Crazy goal by Prospal

Great summary, GKJ!! Definite agreement with regards to the bolded part.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:17 PM
IrishSniper87

I caught the 3rd as I had to work late tonight (**** you work) and about 3 seconds after I turn it on, Richards scores his shorty. That was incredible.

Nice job Downie, Stevens needed that little F U.

Carter is nasty. He has gone from 14 in 63 games and 29 in 82 games to having 18 Goals in 24 games.

HOLY ****

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:24 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
Quote:

-Carle a late scratch
-Briere gets hurt again
-All kinds of penalties
-Crazy goal by Prospal

you should be a sports writer. excellent summation.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:25 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I caught the 3rd as I had to work late tonight (**** you work) and about 3 seconds after I turn it on, Richards scores his shorty. That was incredible.

Nice job Downie, Stevens needed that little F U.

Carter is nasty. He has gone from 14 in 63 games and 29 in 82 games to having 18 Goals in 24 games.

HOLY ****
at that rate.... this equals 61.5 goals over 82 game schedule.

i'd take that.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:47 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
that setup by timonen was awesome. definitely made me shout while i was watching the game on my laptop in the library. got a couple looks from angry studiers

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Chainsaw

New Avatar is lucky

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:01 AM
Miss Mess

yay points!!

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:10 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Upshall's hit deserved a penalty. I'm surprised it was five and a game; definitely should have been two minutes.

Briere left the game early. he only played nine minutes.

Crazy finish to the game! I'm glad at least a few people commented on Sbisa's poor puck/clock management that led to probably the dumbest thing I've seen in hockey since Nitty was caught looking at the jumbotron. Hartnell is ********, but that incident doesn't happen if Sbisa makes the smart play and dumps the puck in the corner. I did like the way he redeemed himself in overtime by easing Malone into Biron for the interference penalty, though.

Someone seriously needs to make Jeff Carter a better faceoff guy. Shortly before Downie's tying goal, the Lightning had the Flyers pinned with several prime scoring chances all because Jeff couldn't win a draw in the defensive zone. He's my favourite Flyer, but his lameness in the faceoff circle really pisses me off.

Marty Biron needs to stop playing the puck. Aside from almost gifting Lecavalier an easy tap in, he's awkward 100% of the time he plays the puck. Please, just stop.

Kimmo Timonen is the ****ing man! That pass he made to Richards for the winner was unreal.

Oh, why did Briere dress tonight? Let him come back when he's 100% for ****'s sakes. Sucks about Carle too. Hope that isn't too serious.
I didnt see the game, but I cant imagine the hit was that bad because there wasnt a thread about on the main board
I am not sure if Briere did come back to soon, its just unfortunate he re-agravated it. groin injuries can be a pain in the ass
I didnt even know Carle was injured. Hope he isnt out for too long.
Biron needs to be more consistant. He drives me crazy how he can make things look so easy at times then he does something that he is not that strong at(handling the puck). I saw the replay of the Downie goal. I still think he should have had it.
Carter has never been a strong faceoff guy. Maybe that will come over time. The guy has been unbelievable pretty much in every other area so I wont complain there.
Timonen is just freakin awesome. This team would be so lost without him

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 12-03-2008 at 01:39 AM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:26 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
I didnt see the game, but I cant imagine the hit was that bad because there wasnt a thread about on the main board
I am not sure if Briere did come back to soon, its just unfortunate he re-agravated it. groin injuries can be a pain in the ass
I didnt even know Carle was injured. Hope he isnt out for too long.
Biron needs to be more consistant. He drives me crazy how he can make things look so easy at times then he does something that he is not that strong at(handling the puck). I saw the replay of the Downie goal. I still think he should have had it.
Carter has never been a strong faceoff guy. Maybe that will come over time. The guy has been unbelievable pretty much in every other area so I wont complain there.
Timonen is just freakin awesome. This team would be so lost
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:35 AM
Unstable

Wow. Just watched the highlights.

Wow.

Loved to see Carter and Richards shining, hate to see a lead coughed up and that glove throwing at the end. Way to stand tall on Biron's part. The orange jerseys just look better and better - I was surprised to see them in a night game (I know, I'm thinking of the Phillies wearing their thirds in the afternoon). What is the policy for when we wear the orange? Can it be every home game? Please???

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote