HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#24 -- Lightning at Flyers -- December 2, 2008 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
12-03-2008, 01:45 AM
Miss Mess

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
Timonen is just freakin awesome. This team would be so lost
I sorta think that's why Richards went after Downie when he tripped Timonen into the boards. We need Kimmo so friggin badly, we can't let some punk kid **** with him. Or he just wanted to fight Downie lol

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:20 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
I didn't even realize, but the Flyers had 3 PP goals too.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 06:08 AM
RoDu

One thing that bothers me, is I'd like to see someone not named Richards, Carter, Gagne or Knuble on the scoresheet a little bit more often.

RoDu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Reading these GDT's the next day is priceless.
1 - Biron definitely shouldn't have gave up that 3rd goal, no doubt. But the whole page before he was being praised (rightfully so) for stopping a huge TB flurry. Then the next page after the goal is "Start Nitty", "Biron sux" "I though esche was in Europe". You people are rediculous. MArty was pretty awesome toniight and goals 2 and 3 were fluky more than anything.

2- Funniest quote" See what happens when you give him playing time" in reference to downie. Are you serious? He played a horrible game. Took a stupid penalty and only scored there because of a blocked shot. The flyers were damn close to scoring right before that and downie was doing NOTHING defensively before that.

3- Really? You'd rather have eminger and Downie than carle?

As for hartnell, what a bonehead.....BUT....he was flying all night and played a great game otherwise.

That game was entertaining as hell!!

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 08:31 AM
kicksave27

That call on upshall was a joke. Every dman in the league takes that hit dozens of times in a game. Dish the puck, brace your self up against the boards and take the hit. Sisba gets destroyed at least once a game this way. Upshalls hit wasn't charging, he neither left his feet, no head shot, no striding into the hit. Just a joke, I have no idea how the bolt could be hurt on that play. The refs see someone down and they ref by result not by action and the VS idiots act like the hindenburg is going down again.

Meanwhile the top goal scorer in the NHL takes a punch to the back of the head after he scores a goal, knocks his helmet off, IE the smoking gun, and nothing.

The 2nd leading point getter in the NHL with concussion history gets a head shot to face an eternity after he gets rid of the puck, no call.

They suspend avery indefinitely for saying something funny, but it's ooh detrimental to the game. NO, the top players in the game getting shots to head is detrimental to the game. The NHL is led by festering bunch of idiots.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:06 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Meanwhile the top goal scorer in the NHL takes a punch to the back of the head after he scores a goal, knocks his helmet off, IE the smoking gun, and nothing.
I thought for sure someone would kill Hall later in the game for that hit.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:13 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
One thing that bothers me, is I'd like to see someone not named Richards, Carter, Gagne or Knuble on the scoresheet a little bit more often.
Yesterdays game had two assists by Lupul, another two by by Kimmo and one assist by Hartnell...

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Just got done reading through the thread, and here are my notes:

Awesome game altogether. We had our sloppy moments, but I can't be mad when Recchi, Prospal, and Downie all scored. Of course Downie had to be the tying goal, but I was glad just to see Stevens standing there like a tool. Also happy to see him get 3rd star, even though I'm not exactly sure how he got it.

And come on, Cannon and Carter with two a piece is just pure awesomeness. The two of them are a thing to behold, and give me warm, fuzzy feelings about the future. In the words of 'Tropic Thunder,' they mah-mah-mah-make me happy.

Biron. Use the crease as a reference. Staying inside the blue= good. Skating onto the white part= bad. And seriously, cut the fancy **** out, and stop playing the puck. That's what the other players are there for. Your job is to stay in net. Simple enough.

Hartnell.......... One of the dumbest things I've ever seen, but in the end since it didn't cost us the game, I couldn't stop laughing. I know so many people on here hate him, but come the **** on. How can you hate him for **** like that? You will never see anything like that again, or at least for a very, very long time. From a comedic standpoint, you really just need to sit back and enjoy that for what it was: Something that was extremely ****ing funny. Plus on top of that, he did play very well last night.

Edit: Forgot about the call on Upshall. What a complete ****ing joke. I literally am speechless thinking about it. Did Gagne not get a worse shot to head 2 weeks ago that didn't even get penalized? What about the Gratton hit last week, when he went flying into the boards head first? No penalty yet again. The Richards hit the other night? Nope. Oh but wait, when Upshall decides to give an iffy legal hit (depending on if you want to call it charging or not), he gets a ****ing 5 minute major and a game misconduct? This league is made up of utter ******** refs and an even bigger ******* in Bettman. If you want people to start respecting the league, you have to make **** fair. Ditch the ****** one-sided calls, and play an even game. Make all penalties, and punishments consistent with each and every team. **** which player it is, unless they have previous history, and stop using certain teams as examples. Until then, kiss my ****ing ass, *****es.

Last edited by Kambo: 12-03-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Kambo, I looked over to your section when Downie scored expecting unbridled joy but was somewhat disappointed

Old
12-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Kambo, I looked over to your section when Downie scored expecting unbridled joy but was somewhat disappointed
I was doing a silent applause except for like 2 seconds when I first found out it was him. Everyone in my section was pissed so I decided it wasn't a good idea. Especially since I clapped for Recchi and Prospal and I got all kinds of looks, and Downie's was the tying goal. I did clap for him getting third star though.

Old
12-03-2008, 09:53 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
I sorta think that's why Richards went after Downie when he tripped Timonen into the boards. We need Kimmo so friggin badly, we can't let some punk kid **** with him. Or he just wanted to fight Downie lol
I didnt see the Downie trip, was it an intentional cheap shot or was it one of those issue where it was just the way he came in to hit the guy and it was blown out of proportion cause it was Downie??? Either one would not surprise me.

Since we ended up winning the game I was pretty happy to see him score that goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Reading these GDT's the next day is priceless.
1 - Biron definitely shouldn't have gave up that 3rd goal, no doubt. But the whole page before he was being praised (rightfully so) for stopping a huge TB flurry. Then the next page after the goal is "Start Nitty", "Biron sux" "I though esche was in Europe". You people are rediculous. MArty was pretty awesome toniight and goals 2 and 3 were fluky more than anything.

2- Funniest quote" See what happens when you give him playing time" in reference to downie. Are you serious? He played a horrible game. Took a stupid penalty and only scored there because of a blocked shot. The flyers were damn close to scoring right before that and downie was doing NOTHING defensively before that.

3- Really? You'd rather have eminger and Downie than carle?

As for hartnell, what a bonehead.....BUT....he was flying all night and played a great game otherwise.

That game was entertaining as hell!!
Upside I rather have Carle, but Eminger is playing very well in TB since he is being given much more ice time and although he has a lot to work on I still think Downie ends up being a good player in this league in a year or two. I think the trade will work out for both teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
That call on upshall was a joke. Every dman in the league takes that hit dozens of times in a game. Dish the puck, brace your self up against the boards and take the hit. Sisba gets destroyed at least once a game this way. Upshalls hit wasn't charging, he neither left his feet, no head shot, no striding into the hit. Just a joke, I have no idea how the bolt could be hurt on that play. The refs see someone down and they ref by result not by action and the VS idiots act like the hindenburg is going down again.

The 2nd leading point getter in the NHL with concussion history gets a head shot to face an eternity after he gets rid of the puck, no call.

They suspend avery indefinitely for saying something funny, but it's ooh detrimental to the game. NO, the top players in the game getting shots to head is detrimental to the game. The NHL is led by festering bunch of idiots.
I agree....Its a complete bush league, they are clueless. That hit MIGHT have deserved 2 minutes, but 5 and a misconduct was beyond ridiculous. It was only because he hit his head against the glass and looked hurt.

By the way, not sure how everyone else feels but I think the Avery suspension is ridiculous as well. Dont get me wrong, they should have done something to him like suspend him 2-3 games and fine him, but indefinitely???? The guy made an inappropriate comment in an interview, so what?? It wasnt like he named the player and made it personal attack.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:56 AM
mikedifr

One thing I would like to add....I am actually going to give Stevens some credit here, for the first time in as long as I can remember, I actually really liked the line combinations he started with last night. I have wanted to see Nodl with Briere, and I always wanted to see Gagne/Richards/Knuble together cause Richards can play a similar game to Forsberg. I am glad he kept them together. Hartnell/Upshall/Carter has the makings of a good physical, cycle the puck line as well.

Old
12-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I didnt see the Downie trip, was it an intentional cheap shot or was it one of those issue where it was just the way he came in to hit the guy and it was blown out of proportion cause it was Downie??? Either one would not surprise me.

Since we ended up winning the game I was pretty happy to see him score that goal

Upside I rather have Carle, but Eminger is playing very well in TB since he is being given much more ice time and although he has a lot to work on I still think Downie ends up being a good player in this league in a year or two. I think the trade will work out for both teams.

I agree....Its a complete bush league, they are clueless. That hit MIGHT have deserved 2 minutes, but 5 and a misconduct was beyond ridiculous. It was only because he hit his head against the glass and looked hurt.

By the way, not sure how everyone else feels but I think the Avery suspension is ridiculous as well. Dont get me wrong, they should have done something to him like suspend him 2-3 games and fine him, but indefinitely???? The guy made an inappropriate comment in an interview, so what?? It wasnt like he named the player and made it personal attack.
Eh, I hate Avery so it doesn't really bother me in the least. Although, I will agree to say that indefinitely is a little overboard. 2-3 games would be fine, especially considering it wasn't a game misconduct and he didn't kill anybody. But for you to say he didn't name the player, I can see where you're coming from, but everyone knows. That was most definitely a personal attack, especially since they were playing Phaneuf's team last night.

Old
12-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Cleary84

The Avery comment was funny. Offensive and uncalled for, but nonetheless funny. A game or 2 suspension at max, but indefinitely is crap. Either start suspending the cheap shots against us or take it easy.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

I think the indefinite is going to be 2 to 3 games anyways. I believe the key was to stop the ensuing blood bath in Cowtown last night.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 10:45 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
100% intentional cheap shot.

Quote:
The TB player was apparently cut as a result of the play, and I believe the rules read that if the ref calls a 2 min boarding penalty, but the player gets cut on the play...it makes it an automatic 5 and game misconduct. So, the argument becomes whether it was a 2 min boarding penalty or not. Personally, I don't think it was much of a stretch to call 2 mins for boarding there.

Quote:
I think what the whole Avery thing boils down to is really just his usage of the term "sloppy seconds", which can be viewed as demeaning towards women. I couldn't give a damn myself, and I'm sure most people don't care....but you know there are plenty of women and women's rights activists that could potentially raise hell over it. I think that's probably the main reason the NHL felt the need to do something.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 11:23 AM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

I'll give it to Downie. He doesn't change his style of play because he has friends on the opposing team. At least he's consistent with his cheap shots

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 11:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

They didn't put a number on it because they're reviewing it and deciding and just wanted to get him out of that game.

Old
12-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Quellet The Dogs Out

That play just reminds exactly what Hartnell's personality reminds me of, in my interactions with him.

He just seems careless with some things. For the most part he is this happy go lucky guy that I think does things and then thinks about the consequences later.

Just watching some of his pranks and seeing his interaction with other players - he really can come off like an *******.

But I think the guys on this team are used to him and how he is - so he is very well liked. It was funny to hear Richards say "he definitely owes Marty and couple beers or some dinner."

Hartnell said "I'm glad I wasn't the goat." I truly believe he did not want to be, but he has to use his head more on the ice. He crossed the line between playing hard and just being stupid (a la Downie).

Speaking of Downie, I'm glad that he really was a nothing on the ice. It further proves what I think about him... he won't amount to much in this league. Carle far outweighs anything that Downie brings to the ice. Once again, Downie proved that he can't avoid taking a stupid penalty. You would've thought that he would learn after being a healthy scratch during the Penguins series last year.

We're all happy, though, that the Hartnell thing will be forever remembered as a joke. Because, as I mentioned in my story today, he could've cost the Flyers two points.

Last edited by GKJ: 12-03-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Quellet The Dogs Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:34 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers84 View Post
The Avery comment was funny. Offensive and uncalled for, but nonetheless funny. A game or 2 suspension at max, but indefinitely is crap. Either start suspending the cheap shots against us or take it easy.
Exactly my feelings....My dad said last night, "So they suspend Avery for that, but you can go headhunting and get a slap on the hand"

Makes zero sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Eh, I hate Avery so it doesn't really bother me in the least. Although, I will agree to say that indefinitely is a little overboard. 2-3 games would be fine, especially considering it wasn't a game misconduct and he didn't kill anybody. But for you to say he didn't name the player, I can see where you're coming from, but everyone knows. That was most definitely a personal attack, especially since they were playing Phaneuf's team last night.
Hey, my feeling is that if a guy want Phaneuf going after him, considering how big of a hitter he is, oh well.....Let him play in the game and get knocked into next week. With a clean hit of course

And for the record, I didnt know who he was talking about until now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I think the indefinite is going to be 2 to 3 games anyways. I believe the key was to stop the ensuing blood bath in Cowtown last night.
Maybe, but I thing suspending him for that game and then fining him would be fine. If it ends up being 2-3 games fine, but any more than that I think is crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
100% intentional cheap shot.

The TB player was apparently cut as a result of the play, and I believe the rules read that if the ref calls a 2 min boarding penalty, but the player gets cut on the play...it makes it an automatic 5 and game misconduct. So, the argument becomes whether it was a 2 min boarding penalty or not. Personally, I don't think it was much of a stretch to call 2 mins for boarding there.

I think what the whole Avery thing boils down to is really just his usage of the term "sloppy seconds", which can be viewed as demeaning towards women. I couldn't give a damn myself, and I'm sure most people don't care....but you know there are plenty of women and women's rights activists that could potentially raise hell over it. I think that's probably the main reason the NHL felt the need to do something.
I wasnt clear on that rule about being cut, if that is the case I guess that is why. Personally, I dont even think it was boarding. It was literally a shoulder to shoulder hit, it wasnt like he hit the guy square in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quellet The Dogs Out View Post
That play just reminds exactly what Hartnell's personality reminds me of, in my interactions with him.

He just seems careless with some things. For the most part he is this happy go lucky guy that I think does things and then thinks about the consequences later.

Just watching some of his pranks and seeing his interaction with other players - he really can come off like an *******.

But I think the guys on this team are used to him and how he is - so he is very well liked. It was funny to hear Richards say "he definitely owes Marty and couple beers or some dinner."

Hartnell said "I'm glad I wasn't the goat." I truly believe he did not want to be, but he has to use his head more on the ice. He crossed the line between playing hard and just being stupid (a la Downie).

Speaking of Downie, I'm glad that he really was a nothing on the ice. It further proves what I think about him... he won't amount to much in this league. Carle far outweighs anything that Downie brings to the ice. Once again, Downie proved that he can't avoid taking a stupid penalty. You would've thought that he would learn after being a healthy scratch during the Penguins series last year.

We're all happy, though, that the Hartnell thing will be forever remembered as a joke. Because, as I mentioned in my story today (www.flyerswire.com), he could've cost the Flyers two points.
Yeah, cause Downie is the first player in NHL history that took stupid penalties when he was new to the league

Old
12-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Quellet The Dogs Out

What do you mean new to the league?

Is he new to hockey? Did he not know what a stupid penalty was in junior hockey?

Did he not understand it after he was a healthy scratch for a game in the ECF after a stupid penalty cost the team?

When he is supposed to get it if he hasn't gotten it so far.

It is like the Pacman Jones thing. People are surprised that he keeps screwing up and ending up in jail. Didn't Forrest Gump say "stupid is as stupid does?"

Quellet The Dogs Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
That's just it...Phaneuf isn't the only one who has followed him up on that one.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:59 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

So, as it turns out, I was incorrect regarding the whole bleeding/game misconduct thing.

The rules actually say that the ref can assess a 5 min major for boarding based on the "degree of violence of the impact with the boards."

Then, once they have ruled it a major, a game misconduct may be assessed if there was an injury to the face or head of the opponent.

So, even though the guy was cut...Upshall could have in fact wound up with nothing but a 2 minute minor for boarding.

I'm sure that the ref changed his opinion of the "degree of violence of the impact with the boards" once he saw the blood and that it contributed to Upshall receiving the major. Although, IMO, that's unfair and it's not the way it should happen...the ref's opinion on that matter should be based solely upon what he initially saw.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

We can wait before claiming Downie is a nobody. He is a better player than he was last year, but let's wait until the next chapter is written. At least it shows that you shouldn't take role players in the 1st round of the draft just because you feel the bases are covered.

Old
12-03-2008, 01:25 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
I think the suspension of Avery is completely unwarranted. So what if he made the comments. Anyone catch the look on his face when he was making them. He was almost laughing. Were the comments uncalled for? probably. But come on. suspended indefintely for "inappropiate" comments? Bush league.
At the very most he should have been fined.

GoneFullHolmgren is online now   Reply With Quote