HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MM saying 'NO TRADE"

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2004, 09:09 AM
can_m_2001

vCash: 500
MM saying 'NO TRADE"

I heard that MM addressed the players and told them not to worry, nobody will get traded. Maybe that has something to do with the team playing bad against Pittsburg. Just the mention trade and some players get nervous, but when it comes from MM, the whole team must be nervous.

Old
03-03-2004, 10:47 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by can_m_2001
I heard that MM addressed the players and told them not to worry, nobody will get traded. Maybe that has something to do with the team playing bad against Pittsburg. Just the mention trade and some players get nervous, but when it comes from MM, the whole team must be nervous.
Where did you hear this? MM was on television Thursday and said
he wanted to keep the team together and specifically mentioned Peca and Parrish but said he was looking to see if he could acquire a defender.

Why say anything and send the wrong message, last time it did not work out well with Wiemer. Just let whatever happens...happen.

There are 30 teams and all of them have players worried about being moved this time of year, why should the Isles players react any worse?

Old
03-03-2004, 11:06 AM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
Where did you hear this? MM was on television Thursday and said
he wanted to keep the team together and specifically mentioned Peca and Parrish but said he was looking to see if he could acquire a defender.

Why say anything and send the wrong message, last time it did not work out well with Wiemer. Just let whatever happens...happen.

There are 30 teams and all of them have players worried about being moved this time of year, why should the Isles players react any worse?

actually they would both go hand-in-hand. milbury will get a dman...a vet for a draftpick. Odeline or more likely, Ulanov from Edmonton just to shore up the D.

Old
03-03-2004, 11:20 AM
disles1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch
actually they would both go hand-in-hand. milbury will get a dman...a vet for a draftpick. Odeline or more likely, Ulanov from Edmonton just to shore up the D.
MM had better do ALOT better than that!!! :mad:
EVERY team ahead of the isles have made themselves better this year--Don't shortchange us MM-- go out and make us better

Old
03-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Top Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by disles1
MM had better do ALOT better than that!!! :mad:
EVERY team ahead of the isles have made themselves better this year--Don't shortchange us MM-- go out and make us better
MM strugles to do anything right. I must say though, he has a knack for saying the right things to his superiors because there is no way in he!! this guy should continue to steer the ship.

The team on the ice is ok and outside of Dipietro and Hunter, I think what you see is what you get. Peca on downside of career, Yashin after the sudden charge from leaving Ottawa will not achieve those numbers again.

So the on ice product is mediocre, the prospects are nothing to get excited about right now and a GM who is going to stand pat until he misses the playoff (That means he's not going or doesn't have the ability) to do anything to make this
team a contender. All I hear from alot of people on this board is how Carolina made it , Washington made. Those were flukes and if everyone is waiting for that to happen, you'll grow old supporting mediocrity when we should be considered a storied franchise.

It really looks like Florida/Buffalo/Atlanta have much more base and it will only be a matter of a year or 2 when we look at Milbury (provided he still has his job) scrabbling to make trades just to get to the playoffs. Don't you think we'd be better to move a vet or 2 to someone who is really in the hunt and get a great younger player to advance the cause in future years?

Last edited by Top Corner: 03-03-2004 at 12:11 PM.
Old
03-03-2004, 12:26 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbad
MM strugles to do anything right. I must say though, he has a knack for saying the right things to his superiors because there is no way in he!! this guy should continue to steer the ship.

The team on the ice is ok and outside of Dipietro and Hunter, I think what you see is what you get. Peca on downside of career, Yashin after the sudden charge from leaving Ottawa will not achieve those numbers again.

So the on ice product is mediocre, the prospects are nothing to get excited about right now and a GM who is going to stand pat until he misses the playoff (That means he's not going or doesn't have the ability) to do anything to make this
team a contender. All I hear from alot of people on this board is how Carolina made it , Washington made. Those were flukes and if everyone is waiting for that to happen, you'll grow old supporting mediocrity when we should be considered a storied franchise.

It really looks like Florida/Buffalo/Atlanta have much more base and it will only be a matter of a year or 2 when we look at Milbury (provided he still has his job) scrabbling to make trades just to get to the playoffs. Don't you think we'd be better to move a vet or 2 to someone who is really in the hunt and get a great younger player to advance the cause in future years?
The Islanders are a storied franchise and always will be a storied franchise.

On one hard you write outside of Hunter and DiPietro what you see is what you get and then say they have no prospects to get excited about? Which is it because both these players are young prospects. Kvasha is a young player, so is Asham, so is Weinhandl and Papineau.

You want Yashin and Peca off this team a.s.a.p, and have since last year no matter how the team is playing. Do not play for today, play for tomorrow because they are mediocre and going nowhere and if they do it's a one-time fluke before all the teams beneath them catch up.

No matter what you or I think, it's not happening
at this time. I'm sure when the day comes Wang eats half the contract and sends Yashin to the Rangers you will get want you want.

Old
03-03-2004, 12:26 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

a few fans have posted that MM gave an interview (wfan I think),where he said he reassured Peca and Parrish that he wasn't gonna trade them.

but then 2-3 days ago one of the newspaper articles made it sound like Milbury was hedging on that promise,now saying he'd let them know if they were going to be dealt.

Old
03-03-2004, 12:30 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbad

team a contender. ?

I 'm very excited about kids like DiPietro,Hunter,Gervais,Caldwell,Nilsson,Tunik.

I expect Gervias and Caldwell to fight it out in the next training camp for a roster spot,with the loser going to Bridgeport.

Old
03-03-2004, 12:48 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

I absolutely don't buy the arguement that Peca is "in the downside of his career." What you see with Peca is an elite checking center whose offensive game seems to be lost, probably as a results of injuries. Give him time to recover, and I think you'll see his excellent defensive game along with 40 - 50 points a year, and 15 - 20 goals.

Was he worth two top 10 picks (Connolly and Pyatt)? Maybe, maybe not. But, either way, he is still one of the best defensive forwards in the game.

03-03-2004, 12:50 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
a few fans have posted that MM gave an interview (wfan I think),where he said he reassured Peca and Parrish that he wasn't gonna trade them.

but then 2-3 days ago one of the newspaper articles made it sound like Milbury was hedging on that promise,now saying he'd let them know if they were going to be dealt.
Here is both Milbury's interview last week and Charles Wang's interview yesterday:
http://wfan.com/chrismikeaudio/

Wang talked about everything I think he could address that Islander fans would be interested in or have been talking about on these boards going back as far as the ticket increase last summer.

Unlike the fans he did not know the length of the lease at the Coliseum off hand and said the payroll was 46 million.

Regarding Milbury from his interview if he changed his comments from last week I have not read anything contrary to it in the local papers.

http://wfan.com/chrismikeaudio/

Totally agree about the prospects in Europe and College, Crew.

I wrote most of HF's bio's on these players and there are more than a few quality prospects that will enter the picture and compete here for jobs. Only thing lacking are defenders from the top three rounds of a draft.

Old
03-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Should the Isles deal now if the right trade presents itself? Of course.

Should Milbury's supposed declaration about "no deals" be taken as gospel? Hopefully not, for if he is ruling out the option of moves, that is self-defeating.

That said, the sentiment offered by a couple of posts on this thread is really misguided, IMO. You don't panic and make moves - "and they better be major moves!" - simply because you were flat in two games vs. the Pens or because other teams are moving aggressively.

Ever.

You make moves because they are the right thing for your team. The "me too!" approach is a lousy one.

While is is a bit disconcerting for this fan to watch Milbury become the "Anti-Mike" since his last major deals of several years ago - that is, he now walks and talks like an ultra-conservative, patient exec - it sure beats being reactive.

Old
03-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Islanders4Cups

Quote:
I'm thinking, OK he won't trade anyone in the lockerroom. So, watch out prospects and draft picks...

Old
03-03-2004, 02:00 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4Cups
I'm thinking, OK he won't trade anyone in the lockerroom. So, watch out prospects and draft picks...

Newsday's reported a couple of times that Wang's saying he doesn't want the top prospects dealt.

Wang's expected to help pay for the new arena and the isles already with a tight budget,have several key rfas to sign this summer:Hamrlik,Aucoin,Niinimaa,Scatchard,Kvasha,Bl ake.

Old
03-03-2004, 03:31 PM
disles1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4Cups
We don't enough room for the guys we already have. Where are we going to put in someone else--unless on defense.

Yash Kvasha Chow
Ronning Peca Hunter
Blake Scatch Parrish
Bates Manlow Asham
Godard Papineau Weinhandl

If we make a trade someone from the roster has to go.

Old
03-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Top Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
The Islanders are a storied franchise and always will be a storied franchise.

On one hard you write outside of Hunter and DiPietro what you see is what you get and then say they have no prospects to get excited about? Which is it because both these players are young prospects. Kvasha is a young player, so is Asham, so is Weinhandl and Papineau.

You want Yashin and Peca off this team a.s.a.p, and have since last year no matter how the team is playing. Do not play for today, play for tomorrow because they are mediocre and going nowhere and if they do it's a one-time fluke before all the teams beneath them catch up.

No matter what you or I think, it's not happening
at this time. I'm sure when the day comes Wang eats half the contract and sends Yashin to the Rangers you will get want you want.
Building a hockey team is like building your financial portfolio, sometimes you have to
ride a stock to it's peak or there abouts and then dump when you feel the risks now exceed the reward.

Just because a player is young doesn't mean he will be an impact player which every team will need a few.

I think the Isles cupboards are thin when it comes to high end prospects but only time will tell. There are certainly no Defense that are just around the corner, Scoring forwards son't seem to be plentifull.

You all know Why Peca & Yashin were brought in, Marketing splash. I think both
have peaked or very close, why wait until the stock starts to tumble to get less in return

Old
03-03-2004, 04:51 PM
dvaske

Gonchar off the market --- heading to bean town.

Closed Thread