HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/2/08 "Recession Obsession" - Panthers VS. Capitals

View Poll Results: Who will win the game?
Florida Panthers 17 60.71%
Washington Capitals 11 39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2008, 11:57 AM
  #176
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
I haven't been able to watch the games, but it seems to me the team has been playing this style of hockey all season, and Peltonen only got his first goal (and started playing well) when Belak got waived, and the same for Dvorak. They've both been on fire of late...for the first time since they were both signed. Now, Dvo's defensive play and effort are beyond recrimination, but his offense hasn't existed...until suddenly now.
nooo, they haven't! there have been spurts but nothing as consistent as we've seen the past 5 games (yeah, i'd stretch and call that consistent ). seriously, there were games where we had absolutely zero forecheck.

imo, though, the biggest difference has been the transition game as it's allowed our guys to play to their strength. we're getting out of our zone effectively and are able to attack the blue line with speed, making those chips/dumps payoff, as we can get in and hammer their D, causing chaos and turnovers. this is what we were expecting when we brought in all the puck movers on D and switched to a more aggressive forecheck. you can't blame those guys for not being able to forecheck when they really weren't getting the opportunities (no speed, no numbers through neutral zone). the Fs play a role in executing transition offense for sure and that's where you can probably say they've been better. the D deserve a lot of credit in this area though. it starts with them and they've been so much better lately.

zeroG is offline  
Old
12-03-2008, 12:00 PM
  #177
iron lung
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
With all due respect, does anyone know if K-mac has a speech impediment? GR?

-ghoste
Seems as though he does.
I watched the interview and it made me sad to see him apologize for taking a while to get his words out. I have a friend with a stutter who does the same thing. No need to apologize for something you can't help.
I have to confess I was pretty stunned by this result.
I was flicking over to the Centre Ice summary channel every now and then and like many of you though 'here we go again' when I saw the result go from 4-1 to 4-2 and then 4-3.
Great win though. Wish we'd been able to see it.

iron lung is offline  
Old
12-03-2008, 12:05 PM
  #178
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner
 
JonathanHuberdoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Towanna
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,171
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
It speaks for the character of this team for how we have been playing without all our top guys. As GR stated, the Pelt-Soupy-Dvo line has 19 points combined in their last 5 games! That's INSANE for those players. Those are the kind of numbers a Thornton or Malkin line puts up, not a Gregory Campbell line.

It's all about confidence with these guys and you can see it. I think they are starting to realize that if we work hard and play the system, most nights we will come out on top. Teams have so much trouble getting the blue line now, and in the past it always seemed like we let the opposition walk into our zone unscathed.

I don't expect Campbell's line to keep producing at this rate (who knows really, chemistry is a wonderful think), but I hope when Stillman and Horton come back they can pick up their game too. I know Stillman will be great to have back, but I don't know about Nathan. As someone stated earlier, hopefully he'll have to earn his way back into the lineup and eventually the top-6. I think acquiring another center would be great for this team because Stillman and Horton have wicked chemistry, and someone in between them that would compliment them would be great.

Oh, and I am glad Andy is going in net again on Thursday. The team is responding in front of him and Andy's returning the favor. Like stated earlier, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

JonathanHuberdoh is offline  
Old
12-03-2008, 12:11 PM
  #179
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron lung View Post
Seems as though he does.
I watched the interview and it made me sad to see him apologize for taking a while to get his words out. I have a friend with a stutter who does the same thing. No need to apologize for something you can't help.
I have to confess I was pretty stunned by this result.
I was flicking over to the Centre Ice summary channel every now and then and like many of you though 'here we go again' when I saw the result go from 4-1 to 4-2 and then 4-3.
Great win though. Wish we'd been able to see it.
am i missing something in the panthers' media player (growltv)? doesn't seem like they've updated the game day stuff since the 1st rangers game. where are you guys seeing the interviews?

zeroG is offline  
Old
12-03-2008, 12:46 PM
  #180
iron lung
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
It was on the Caps official site, zeroG.
They had brief interviews with McArdle, JBo (who I found much more difficult to understand than McArdle, that guy is a real mumbler) and Weiss.

iron lung is offline  
Old
12-03-2008, 01:02 PM
  #181
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron lung View Post
Seems as though he does.
I watched the interview and it made me sad to see him apologize for taking a while to get his words out. I have a friend with a stutter who does the same thing. No need to apologize for something you can't help.
I have to confess I was pretty stunned by this result.
I was flicking over to the Centre Ice summary channel every now and then and like many of you though 'here we go again' when I saw the result go from 4-1 to 4-2 and then 4-3.
Great win though. Wish we'd been able to see it.
I wouldn't ever be able to remember where, but now you mention it I seem to recall reading he did in fact have that impediment.

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline  
Old
12-03-2008, 01:15 PM
  #182
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
With all due respect, does anyone know if K-mac has a speech impediment? GR?

-ghoste
I think he does as well. In the Inside the Panthers development camp episode, McArdle was talking and you could tell right away that he has an impediment. It's not THAT bad though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
I believe they briefly popped into 8th place sometime in December last season, but I could be wrong.
You are right, they were in 8th place for like a couple days in like the first two days of the month. I remember they claimed that spot after that long shootout against the Caps, then a couple days later they lost to the Bruins and then lost their next 3.

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
12-03-2008, 01:18 PM
  #183
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
nooo, they haven't! there have been spurts but nothing as consistent as we've seen the past 5 games (yeah, i'd stretch and call that consistent ). seriously, there were games where we had absolutely zero forecheck.

imo, though, the biggest difference has been the transition game as it's allowed our guys to play to their strength. we're getting out of our zone effectively and are able to attack the blue line with speed, making those chips/dumps payoff, as we can get in and hammer their D, causing chaos and turnovers. this is what we were expecting when we brought in all the puck movers on D and switched to a more aggressive forecheck. you can't blame those guys for not being able to forecheck when they really weren't getting the opportunities (no speed, no numbers through neutral zone). the Fs play a role in executing transition offense for sure and that's where you can probably say they've been better. the D deserve a lot of credit in this area though. it starts with them and they've been so much better lately.
I think you're just bolstering my point. They're playing a style that suits them...and it's the style they were supposed to be playing all along, but apparently weren't motivated enough to do so. Until Belak got booted, which has suddenly inspired them to avoid the same fate. i.e. DeBoer lit a fire under their *****.

Acadmus is offline  
Old
12-03-2008, 01:32 PM
  #184
Haj
Registered User
 
Haj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,586
vCash: 500
Anyone know where to find highlights from last nights game ? I can't find them on NHL.com.

Haj is offline  
Old
12-03-2008, 01:33 PM
  #185
Bure1096
Registered User
 
Bure1096's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,490
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
tsn has them.

Bure1096 is offline  
Old
12-03-2008, 01:51 PM
  #186
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron lung View Post
It was on the Caps official site, zeroG.
They had brief interviews with McArdle, JBo (who I found much more difficult to understand than McArdle, that guy is a real mumbler) and Weiss.
ah, cool. thanks. c'mon panthers web team, get on the ball!

zeroG is offline  
Old
12-03-2008, 02:12 PM
  #187
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
ah, cool. thanks. c'mon panthers web team, get on the ball!
I doubt they sent anyone to the game since the whole broadcast team didn't go.

Rattrick is offline  
Old
12-03-2008, 02:32 PM
  #188
hoax15
Registered User
 
hoax15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S. Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hoax15
I don't intend to offend anyone at all with this post, but does McArdle have a speech impediment or was he just really really nervous? I'm just a little curious about it.

**Edit: wow i missed a whole page of people already talking about it, I'm sorry.


Last edited by hoax15: 12-03-2008 at 03:06 PM.
hoax15 is offline  
Old
12-03-2008, 02:48 PM
  #189
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
I think you're just bolstering my point. They're playing a style that suits them...and it's the style they were supposed to be playing all along, but apparently weren't motivated enough to do so. Until Belak got booted, which has suddenly inspired them to avoid the same fate. i.e. DeBoer lit a fire under their *****.
no, actually i'm not at all. what i'm saying is that you CANNOT effectively play an aggressive forecheck style if you can get the puck out of your end and into their end with speed and numbers. zero or one guy on the puck gets you nowhere and that's what we had consistently until the past 5 games. they're doing everything a little better right now but i disagree that they're doing something fundamentally different because they're motivated now. in fact, go listen to peltonen's interview and hear it from the horse's mouth.

zeroG is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.