HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Going back to school thread

Old
12-02-2008, 03:17 PM
kostitsyn1489

vCash: 500
OT: Going back to school thread

Not sure if mod will lock it or not, but it could be a similar thread to the battle of the budge, but for people that wants to go back to school and motivate us to do so because it's pretty important if you dont want to end up in a dumb job with a bad paycheck.

Personally i dropped out during HS grade 4 nearly 3 years ago and I decided to register to school last week, I've done my 3 ranking exam, French, math and english. And will go to school 2 nights a week by January 19th, I might also go full time as well, but for now i have no idea what i wanna do after high school.

Not sure if many here dropped out like i did, or completed their HS, but would like to go farther and just lack of motivation right now to go register and all or else, but i think it could help if we all motivate ourselves to do it.

I remembered how useless english class are in high school when doing my exam this afternoon... And also i suck ass in math now. I thought i would remember most things, but i was totally lost.

Anyway I hope this help some guys here to kick themselves in the ass good and go register soon!

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Best decision you ever will make, it will help you build YOUR LIFE.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 03:52 PM
CPrice

Dont do it, school sucks I'm just starting my exams now and the pressure is beginning to mount.
Seriously though, you go through a lot of BS but in the end I'm sure its all worth it.

CPrice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 03:58 PM
BigTimer*

HS is a must... I'd say CEGEP as well.

You'll get a ton of opinions on whether UNI is worth it or not... depends on the person.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
you will fail, unless motivation comes from you.

Louis Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:15 PM
kostitsyn1489

I'm not sure if i know what motivation mean myself, but I really have to get it done. I'll have to work hard in non-school day so it doesnt take forever. But i want to prove myself i can do it, i lack of discipline and i think it could help me in that area.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Mue

Best decision I ever made.

I was a high school drop out/fail out (don't remember what came first). Didn't read a book until I was 20 years old (not counting The Outsiders), I come from a poor/working class family where education isn't the most important thing.

When I was 22 I got into college as a mature student, did one year of General Arts and Science and used that to get into University. I'm currently completing my Masters in Applied Social Research and I've started my PhD applications for next September.

I honestly have no clue what I would be doing now if I didn't go back.

That being said, school isn't for everyone and sometimes I still don't feel like I belong there (although I think a lot of working-class kids feel that way in Uni). Good luck though.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:23 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
HS is a must... I'd say CEGEP as well.

You'll get a ton of opinions on whether UNI is worth it or not... depends on the person.
University in Quebec costs nothing, though. If anything, I'd tell people to try it and, if they don't like it, they can just drop out.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
Not sure if mod will lock it or not, but it could be a similar thread to the battle of the budge, but for people that wants to go back to school and motivate us to do so because it's pretty important if you dont want to end up in a dumb job with a bad paycheck.

Personally i dropped out during HS grade 4 nearly 3 years ago and I decided to register to school last week, I've done my 3 ranking exam, French, math and english. And will go to school 2 nights a week by January 19th, I might also go full time as well, but for now i have no idea what i wanna do after high school.

Not sure if many here dropped out like i did, or completed their HS, but would like to go farther and just lack of motivation right now to go register and all or else, but i think it could help if we all motivate ourselves to do it.

I remembered how useless english class are in high school when doing my exam this afternoon... And also i suck ass in math now. I thought i would remember most things, but i was totally lost.

Anyway I hope this help some guys here to kick themselves in the ass good and go register soon!
Choose the right friends, since you can't choose your parents, associate with positive people and do what you love no matter what it is. If that requires more, or less schooling, so be it.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Batarnac

vCash: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Choose the right friends, since you can't choose your parents, associate with positive people and do what you love no matter what it is. If that requires more, or less schooling, so be it.
This is the most important. Don't go for the big buck, go for what you like. Studying and working are going to be a lot easier that way. Of course that doesn't really apply to high school but after, when you have the choice, make sure you do the right one.

Batarnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Woland

I had finished the hotel school and has been working in the hotel industry for the past 4 years. Until I realised I would end up killing someone of I worked with the public my whole life. Even though I'm super stressed out at this moment with Uni exams. I still do not regret going back to school .

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Personally, I like this thread a lot.

Its a nice dose of reality away from millionaire hockey players, especially as this VERY serious looming recession is going to knock a great many people out of work.

Going back to school and being retrained can be tough, but its got to be done sometimes to make a better future for oneself.

Some great advice by one poster was to study something you love to do so that it never seems like work...

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote