HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Higgins the Brunet of the past?

Old
12-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Darz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Brunet never had more than 14 goals in any season.
Brunet never had more than 32 points in any season.
Brunet only had 5 goals in 54 playoff games.

Most of our current roster? Koivu? Higgins? Tanguay? Kovy? AK46? Lang? SK74? Markov? Plek?

Sure, better than Bégin...BGL...Laps...Dandy...OB...even Lats...but most?

Quiz : Did Brunet like playing with a short stick or a long stick?
Brunet used a VERY long stick. I think he had the longest sticks on the team.

...as for the comparisons again, I don't think looking at the numbers help in this comparison.

There were a ton of factors that worked against Brunet putting up decent numbers. The only people who should really comment on this are the people who actually remember Brunet playing....and not when they were like 6 years old. I'm only 2 years younger than Brunet, so I remember his playing days quite well. If your under 25...you don't really remember watching Brunet play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
Look... It's obvious that you never saw him play but anyway... He was not a reliable player because well, he was quite always injured and when he was actually playing, he was still nursing his previous injuries..
ding...ding...ding....we have a winner!!!

12-02-2008, 03:46 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
Look at game played...

Look... It's obvious that you never saw him play but anyway... He was not a reliable player because well, he was quite always injured and when he was actually playing, he was still nursing his previous injuries.

I would take A. Kost, Koivu and pretty much every player on the current roster before Brunet, all I was saying is that his HANDS (TALENT) were sick, if you also consider that his hockey sens and vision were superior than average...
I'm aging myself but I cheered for Cournoyer and Lafleur and Robinson and Lapointe and Courtnall. I guess after seeing, live and on tv, many of the greatest players to play for the Habs, I was never enthralled by Brunet's hands.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 03:57 PM
gillyguzzler

Yes, his stick was ridiculously long. I once saw them measure his stick next to a defenseman (can't remember who...Rick Green maybe) and it was a good 3 inches longer. His hands were ok, but maybe they would have been better with a normal stick. And when the previous poster pointed out that his hands were better than most of the current Habs' players, I respectfully disagree. I'm not sure Brunet would crack many current NHL lineups considering his speed, size, skill and health.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Habs

I'm worried about Higgins, he's one of my favorite players but he looks lost this year. You don't even notice him on the ice, he's almost a none factor.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:14 PM
curtisl1982

I think Higgins is much more athletic and stronger compared to Brunet, but Higgins has less hockey sense. Higgins is a shoot first/shoot from all angles guy.

curtisl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:17 PM
speed11

anybody else think Higgins uses too long of a stick? most times i seem in front of the net or around it, looks like he gets jammed a lot...can't really get a full extension on his shots...maybe i just notice it, i don't know...

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Andy

Mike Fischer and Brunet is a better comparison, just Brunet was a little softer.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
anybody else think Higgins uses too long of a stick? most times i seem in front of the net or around it, looks like he gets jammed a lot...can't really get a full extension on his shots...maybe i just notice it, i don't know...
I think his blade is too flat.

Old
12-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
No, Brunet was more about intelligence and poise, while it's Higgins main weakness. Brunet was better defensively and Higgins is better offensively, and better along the boards. Both good skaters thought.

I almost agree but Higgins isn't an unintelligent player. For example, he's a pretty good penalty killer. If he lacks poise, it doesn't result in a lot of penalties (a la SKost). I admired Brunet and was sorry about his history of injuries. I particularly liked the fact that he knew exactly where he should be on the ice as play was developing instead of just reacting (something Lapierre should try to emulate).

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I'm worried about Higgins, he's one of my favorite players but he looks lost this year. You don't even notice him on the ice, he's almost a none factor.

I think he'll get better as the season moves along. He missed the preseason and the first 6 games because of a groin injury.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:40 PM
iceman17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
I think his blade is too flat.
His blade is no where near flat.

iceman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman17 View Post
His blade is no where near flat.
It looks crazy flat, like crosby's curve, do you have a good picture? Lets all analyze his stick...(I'm actually being serious and not sarcastic)

EDIT: Heres a good picture http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/gfx...is-higgins.jpg

Theres a curve, but it's not that curved, definately not a snipers curve when you look at O.V and Kovalchuk

Here's a picture of Kovalchuk's curve, it's a huge difference http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/3...alchuk1qp1.jpg

Last edited by Andy: 12-02-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old
12-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Erika

Very close comparison.

Higgins = Brunet, both with some differences, but overall they're nothing more than 3rd liners on good teams.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 06:35 PM
habdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Very close comparison.

Higgins = Brunet, both with some differences, but overall they're nothing more than 3rd liners on good teams.

3rd line is better than the press box

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Nilan's Fist

Higgins will never have the "derriere" Brunet had

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMwxa1pBSqE

"Et voilà Brunet avec le beau derrière"

Nilan's Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:43 PM
couz

Higgins seems to have trade value, teams apparently want him.

Gainey better take advantage now because his value is gonna drop...he's been MIA since the playoffs.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:03 PM
HFXMooseHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronto Dan View Post

foward to 2:20 for some Brun dangling moves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzze0KayLO4

How can you make a Brunet You Tube vid and not include the deke vs LA. Remember Paul Romanuk? "Look at Brunet!"

HFXMooseHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:05 PM
HabuseMoi

I just hope he doesn't end up as beign has annoying as Brunet on tv ^^

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:19 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Very close comparison.

Well, now we know that this comparison isn't worth much.

I've watched Brunet since his rookie season, and he's no match for Higgins. People can say what they want about offensive potential, Higgins has proved it much more, and the injuries excuse doesn't work either, as Higgins managed 38 points when missing about 20 games because of a serious injury. Brunet never went into high gear like Higgins did. Never scored like Higgins did (jee, did anyone ever see Brunet go on a scoring stretch of 26 goals in 39 games? And this, between his rookie and sophomore seasons?). I liked Brunet a lot, but he's no Higgins. That goal scored against Philly is ingraved in my memory, still it's the only great moment of him I do recall (on an offensive rush), while I've seen Higgins go at it several times in only three years of play. For sure there are some aspects of their play that is similar, but Higgins is the better player on almost any day, with both in their prime. Also, Higgins' vision is not weaker than Brunet, and IMO is better. People seem to be blind to the dandy passes he makes. OK, he's no Koivu, still I rarely saw Brunet pass like Higgins did the other day on Lappy's goal. And Higgins has made many of those.

Another funny thing is that Brunet is constantly on Higgins' case in the games. He seems to be jealous of Higgins, to such a degree that sometimes I wonder if ErikaK is Brunet himself.

Oh and Darz, I'm gonna be 30 very sonn, so yeah I did see Brunet play extensively, and there is no doubt in my mind that Higgins is better than Brunet was.

Really, while we're at it, we should compare Lecavalier with Super Mario. Or even better, S Kost with Juha Lind.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 12-03-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Higgins is quite a bit more talented. This team has a lot of inconsistent players and he's the worst in that regards. That and he lacks confidence on the ice. He was rushed into a leadership role too soon.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 06:31 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
RDS

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
the comparison is disturbingly accurate

That made me crack up.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 05:29 PM
dutchy29

I think most need to allow more patience for Higgins, IMO he is a factor out on the ice,
hes got all the tools, Carbo has got to find out what makes this guy tick and get him more consistent. I would hate to see him turn into another Ryder.

dutchy29 is online now   Reply With Quote