HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cheechoo?

Old
12-02-2008, 12:08 PM
dccuse

vCash: 500
Cheechoo?

he's having another off year, but we know he's capable of at least 30 goals and when put in the right situation has hit 37 and even 56 goals. Could a chance to play on gomez's wing rejuvenate him? Would San Jose be willing to move him for depth and prospects/picks given how well they're performing without him really contributing (4 goals 4 assists +1)? Seems like now (meaning before the deadline) would be an ideal time to try and pluck him, and would let us shift everyone down a line; Roll 3 scoring lines, let Dubi take a more creative role (Rather than dangling competitions with Nik Z) and let Drury ground Zherdev, plus you can afford to put fritsche on that line because nik is capable of creating his own offense - in my mind fritsche would be a nice complement (or voros for that matter).

Callahan Gomez Cheechoo
Lauri Dubinsky Naslund
Fritsche Drury Zherdev
Voros Betts Orr

maybe a package of prucha/dawes/fritsche + d-prospect (potter/sauer) + pick (3rd round, maybe 2nd?) for cheechoo and a late rounder?

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:15 PM
beastly115

SJ gets: Rozsival (addition by subtraction for us) + Dawes + 2nd

NYR gets: Cheechoo

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Chimp

I think we have enough secondary contribution players as it is. I think his point production would drop considerably in NYR and not be worth the money.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:22 PM
dccuse

rozi

thought about that but they've already got 4 puck moving defensemen - Vlasic, Ehrhoff, Blake, Boyle that are everything that Rozi is (puck-moving, point producing) and isn't (physical, responsible, not inclined to making boneheaded plays resulting in breakaways and shorties)

plus cheechoo is only being paid 3 mill whereas rozi's contract is far worse

Old
12-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
he's having another off year, but we know he's capable of at least 30 goals and when put in the right situation has hit 37 and even 56 goals. Could a chance to play on gomez's wing rejuvenate him? Would San Jose be willing to move him for depth and prospects/picks given how well they're performing without him really contributing (4 goals 4 assists +1)? Seems like now (meaning before the deadline) would be an ideal time to try and pluck him, and would let us shift everyone down a line; Roll 3 scoring lines, let Dubi take a more creative role (Rather than dangling competitions with Nik Z) and let Drury ground Zherdev, plus you can afford to put fritsche on that line because nik is capable of creating his own offense - in my mind fritsche would be a nice complement (or voros for that matter).

Callahan Gomez Cheechoo
Lauri Dubinsky Naslund
Fritsche Drury Zherdev
Voros Betts Orr

maybe a package of prucha/dawes/fritsche + d-prospect (potter/sauer) + pick (3rd round, maybe 2nd?) for cheechoo and a late rounder?
I see a couple of problems:

1) I don't think you're clearing enough salary to add Cheechoo;
2) Although he had a monster season a couple of years ago, you've got to accept that he's either a 2nd-line plugger or a 1st-liner who has become a reclamation project. I'm not sure that adding another of either type of player is the answer for this team.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:23 PM
dccuse

well the reason for the trade would be that you believe that gomez could restore him to a primary producer - obviously we have no need for another player on pace for 40 pts.

Old
12-02-2008, 12:28 PM
LyNX27

San Jose has no real reason to trade for anyone, much less "offensive" D-men. Ever heard of Rob Blake and Boyle?

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
well the reason for the trade would be that you believe that gomez could restore him to a primary producer - obviously we have no need for another player on pace for 40 pts.
I can see your reasoning, and I don't think it's unsound. Certainly, Cheechoo's age makes him a little more attractive than most players, but with Redden and Näslund and Zherdev, we already have a bunch of "maybe a change of scenery will work" type players. I am leary of adding yet another, even though Cheechoo would be one of the better ones available.

Old
12-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
SJ gets: Rozsival (addition by subtraction for us) + Dawes + 2nd

NYR gets: Cheechoo
Uh, you know they are ****** us there right...Cheechoo straight up for a 2nd is probably tilted in their side at this point.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:34 PM
azrok22

If Joe Thornton can't get Cheechoo going, Gomez cannot.

I wouldn't expect him to return to form with NYR. If you want him as a second/third liner, ok... but don't expect more.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Cheechoo hasn't played with Thornton all season.

Pure Rock Fury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Durting the off-season I was thinking how good afit this guy would be with Scotty. But...then I got to thinking. Is Scotty Gomez a better set up man than big Joe? I don't think so...If Cheechoo couldn't bury the puck riding shotgun for Thornton, I am not so convinced he can score playing with Scotty.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:47 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Cheechoo hasn't played with Thornton all season.
Well aware... but he did play with him last season. There's a reason why Cheechoo has been dropped from the first line, and that is because he is not the 40+ goal scorer he was. If Thornton couldn't get him back to 40+ goal scorer status (and I honestly believe he only ever reached that point due to Thornton), then Gomez won't be able to.

You're looking at a 20-25 goal scorer that will add 15-20 assists at this point imo.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:51 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

No. No way. No Thanks.

1) The Sharks are rolling, they don't need to make any big changes.

2) As others have mentioned as well, Joe Thornton is just a tad better than Gomez, and Thornton is the one that turned Cheechoo into something out of basically nothing. Now, it looks like other teams have probably figured out that he's nothing and probably have a better handle on how to take him out of the equation. You see that Thornton doesn't need Cheechoo to rack up points, but obviously the Cheechoo needs Jumbo Joe.

3) The guy the Rangers should pursue is Erik Cole from the Oilers. He's struggling right now so he might also come at a discount, and their entire team is struggling, too, so they're looking to make changes. Plus you can't discount the Sather-Oilers relationship. Cole has always been effective until he went to the Oilers, he probably just doesn't fit in and isn't happy, that seems to be the opinion of a lot of Oiler fans. He needs a change of scenery, and the Rangers would be a perfect fit. He's exactly what the team needs, a power forward who can score. He might even be a good fit with Fats Gomez. If he doesn't work out, you let him walk because he's a UFA, and if he does, he would be an awesome addition for the playoffs and then hopefully, you'd find a way to keep him, though I know it isn't likely.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
No. No way. No Thanks.

1) The Sharks are rolling, they don't need to make any big changes.

2) As others have mentioned as well, Joe Thornton is just a tad better than Gomez, and Thornton is the one that turned Cheechoo into something out of basically nothing. Now, it looks like other teams have probably figured out that he's nothing and probably have a better handle on how to take him out of the equation. You see that Thornton doesn't need Cheechoo to rack up points, but obviously the Cheechoo needs Jumbo Joe.

3) The guy the Rangers should pursue is Erik Cole from the Oilers. He's struggling right now so he might also come at a discount, and their entire team is struggling, too, so they're looking to make changes. Plus you can't discount the Sather-Oilers relationship. Cole has always been effective until he went to the Oilers, he probably just doesn't fit in and isn't happy, that seems to be the opinion of a lot of Oiler fans. He needs a change of scenery, and the Rangers would be a perfect fit. He's exactly what the team needs, a power forward who can score. He might even be a good fit with Fats Gomez. If he doesn't work out, you let him walk because he's a UFA, and if he does, he would be an awesome addition for the playoffs and then hopefully, you'd find a way to keep him, though I know it isn't likely.
Why Fats?

Cole, good idea, but they need wingers in return so this isnt gonna happen anytime soon.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 01:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Alexander Frolov

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 01:09 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Why Fats?

Cole, good idea, but they need wingers in return so this isnt gonna happen anytime soon.
Another poster (sorry, can't remember who, but credit to you, whoever you are) mentioned in another thread that Gomez looked really chubby earlier in the season, and I recalled that I felt the same way at the time. I don't need any help in not caring for him as it is, but that memory certainly didn't help.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 01:21 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Agreed. Pretty risky.

12-02-2008, 01:26 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
3) The guy the Rangers should pursue is Erik Cole from the Oilers.

Eric has not been the same player after his injury to the neck. Power to him getting back to the game. Hes lucky he's not in a wheelchair.

Will he refind that aggressive game he had in Carolina?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Another poster (sorry, can't remember who, but credit to you, whoever you are) mentioned in another thread that Gomez looked really chubby earlier in the season, and I recalled that I felt the same way at the time. I don't need any help in not caring for him as it is, but that memory certainly didn't help.
I totally agree on Eric Cole. Great player, and with him, you have a guy that can potentially play either the left or the right side of Gomez.

But...Onto Gomez, I met the guy. Didn't look chubby at all to me.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Durting the off-season I was thinking how good afit this guy would be with Scotty. But...then I got to thinking. Is Scotty Gomez a better set up man than big Joe? I don't think so...If Cheechoo couldn't bury the puck riding shotgun for Thornton, I am not so convinced he can score playing with Scotty.
...what?

56 goals in 05-06 when Thornton was traded to SJ. 37 goals the following year, then 23 goals last year after coming back from an off-season surgery and struggling with a knee injury as well.

On a team that is struggling to score goals, I'm amazed at how picky people are when it comes to acquiring a goal scoring winger. Why exactly is Erik Cole a better option than Cheechoo? Cheechoo has scored more goals in a season, is on a cheaper contract that lasts beyond the end of this season, and is a RW which is a position we're very thin at in terms of roster players and prospects alike.

I understand that Cheechoo is on a much better team than Cole is, but Cole was brought in to be a difference maker in that line-up and has done nothing to that effect. What makes people think that he'll come to NY and be a difference maker?

That being said, I do like Cole and I think he'd be a good player to have, but I don't think he's a drastically better alternative than Cheechoo.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 01:37 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The teams that are more likely to blow up:

Ottawa - They are just a shell of a broken team with no chemistry or will to win. Its not the coach, its not the goaltending. They need to clean house. Does that make Heater available? Probably not their first choice , but man would he be Awesome on Broadway. He'd be costly too. Both in Assets and cap space....

Tampa - St Louis or Prospal

And than you have guys on the cusp of free agency

Marian Gaborik
Max Afinegenov
Nik Andropov
Alex Kovalev (3x a charm?) Well yea the 1st time was quite charmed?
Chris Higgins
Alex Tanguay

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
As I've said before my sister's fiance is a die hard Sharks fan, and to brighten your day he did say the Sharks are probably to trade Cheechoo but more likely at the deadline or off season. Setoguchi(spelling) is their new top line RW, and the emergence of Ryan Clowe has Cheechoo the odd man out. He said other Sharks' fans have said the same thing, but take it like a grain of salt.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
And than you have guys on the cusp of free agency

Marian Gaborik
Max Afinegenov
Nik Andropov
Alex Kovalev (3x a charm?) Well yea the 1st time was quite charmed?
Chris Higgins
Alex Tanguay
Of all of them, only Higgins really interests me, and is he that much of an upgrade on guys like Callahan and the Korpedo (even noting that he can put the puck in the net).

Gaborik: too $$$;
Afinogenov: infuriating in his own zone, will be crucified by the MSG fans;
Antropov: good player, but doesn't offer anything more than Zherdev, except a little more size;
Tanguay: always liked him, but I don't see him succeeding in NY. He's always seemed a little sensitive. I don't know, I don't have any real logic on this one.

Last edited by 007: 12-02-2008 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Removed a bad joke.
Old
12-02-2008, 03:00 PM
levski87

Isn't CheeChoo's cap hit around 3 mil? The guy hit 56g,37g,23g. I think its worth it to take a gamble here. He's a proven goal scorer and we do have a great centerman in Gomez to help him. If he even hits around 30g per year, is it really a fail or a gain at 3mill. I prefer to see it as a gain as how no one on this team knows how to put the cookie in the net.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote