HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did the NHL make the right call suspending Avery?

View Poll Results: Did the NHL make the right call suspending Avery?
Yes 106 47.11%
No 116 51.56%
Other (explain) 3 1.33%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-02-2008, 07:41 PM
rebel diamond

vCash: 500
Completely unnecessary suspension. Fine him if you think it was that bad, but it's a bad precedent to start throwing suspensions at people for harmless things said off the ice. No one here should pretend they're actually offended, we've all heard much worse, as have Cuthbert and Phaneuf.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 07:47 PM
vcx*

Avery is hurt by all of your comments, here is a picture of him going to his Bentley to drive off to a bar to drown his sorrows with a few beers...oh wait, he doesn't care and he owns a Bentley, no miata there.

Last edited by vcx*: 12-02-2008 at 08:31 PM.
vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yes, it's absolutely the correct move. The NHL has always been a classy league
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMike View Post
All these kids on here...

Only children like his antics.
Agree on both. Its funny to see some of the comments on here, but then again, many posters here are quite young.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 07:52 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
**** no. What is this golf? Or did the NHL just land a huge TV contract with some feminine interests channel? This is ********!!!!!

We should be ashamed of calling ourselves hockey fans on this day.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
Every team has their version of Avery, dialed down to half of his potency. So don't act all high and mighty like your team is filled with Lady Byng candidates. I think what he said was funny and I am not much of a fan of his either. I just think it's funny to hear that sort of stuff, a lot of people say hockey interviews are boring but when someone says something funny and it gets a reaction it's "oh dear, what did he just say? oh my virgin ears!"...

Again, lol...
High and mighty? I dont remember defending anyone who pulls stuff like this on a regular basis. Its less of a matter of whats funny and whats not and more of a matter of what people say actually having reactions and consequences. If he wants to act like a clown then he should join the circus, if he wants to act like a professional then let him stay in the league.

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
**** no. What is this golf? Or did the NHL just land a huge TV contract with some feminine interests channel? This is ********!!!!!

We should be ashamed of calling ourselves hockey fans on this day.
Yes, calling out former girlfriends on national television is all about the hockey. People need to grow up, and fast.

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 07:58 PM
VelvetJones

His own teams owner said he agrees with the suspension.

The WWF crowd is winning the vote though.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 07:59 PM
0ilerman
The King

Absolutely yes. Sean Avery is a disgrace to the NHL, the game of hockey the country I call home, Canada. Suspending him sends a message to the entire world that the NHL will not condone his childish and idiotic antics.

Yes he creates interest and brings attention to the game, but at what cost. The cliche any publicity is good publicity is perhaps one of the biggest fallacies in life. This is horrendous publicity, and Sean Avery clearly crossed the line here.

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
The WWF crowd is winning the vote though.
Yeah, theres a lot of kids on here.

Old
12-02-2008, 08:07 PM
The Big Swede

Yes

He went over the line and I expect the Nhl to suspend him in the near future more often

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Darth Bangkok

If it wasn't premeditated, contrived, out-of-context, out of the blue, and maybe if he delivered the line without forgetting what he was trying to say three times, it might have been funny. As it is, he's a punk POS and the comment was far from funny. The league should have taken a night to think about it, let him get his ass kicked all over the ice, then suspend him tomorrow.

I hope 'indefinitely' turns into 6 months and this is the beginning of the end of Sean Avery.

Pests are fine. But Avery is a dick (how did that get through the filter?)

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Old Time Sauce

NO..... i hate avery but

IMO that would have been the only entertaining game tonight... now i'm hockey less

Old Time Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Darth Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Not arguing with you, and I'm sure you want more class in the NHL, but...
writing "Avery is a dick" is not exactly being classy (and don't worry...I'm not trying to be too serious).
Alright, you got me there

Is "jackass" more classy?

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 09:59 PM
daveskirtun
:o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post
Alright, you got me there

Is "jackass" more classy?
I'd go with "tallywacker"

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:59 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Yes, calling out former girlfriends on national television is all about the hockey. People need to grow up, and fast.
Maybe the people who need to grow up are the people who take this crap personally. Whoever it gets to has fallen victim to Avery's tactics.

If people don't like seeing this in the sport them maybe athletes need to show some maturity by ignoring it and not letting it rattle them.

Really how could you not say that pre-game considering it involves Calgary's best defenseman? Who just happens to have a nasty mean streak.

They should've let Avery play. It would've boosted ratings for sure. Guess Betman doesn't care about ratings in a time that the future is looking financially grim!

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

No

The comments were completely classless and idiotic, but if guys can get slaps on the wrist for hitting from behind and spearing then Avery deserves no more than a stiff fine.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Absolutely, averys a *****.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Sony Eriksson*

I can't stand the ****** bag and he is on the team i support. However if he gets suspended for this then every player in the NHL who talks **** on the ice should be suspended as well! If it happens on the Ice or in an interview it should make no difference.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:30 PM
bruinsfan46

He deserved to be suspended. He made a derogatory remark that was clearly premeditated. It's an embarrassment to the game and good on the NHL for stepping up and taking action. This guy's crossed the line too many times.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
A sport like Hockey that embraces violence and acts that, if they were not on the ice, would be considered assault. Can not afford to have a war of words go on in the media. If something happened to Avery tonight it would 100% be considered pre meditated.

I'm sure we would all love to see Avery get beaten by Dion but this is not the 1970s anymore. In this situation the NHL legal department stepped in and stopped a potentially large problem for themselves.

My question is..

If Avery said these things.. but had NOT been playing the Flames tonight, would he have been suspended by the NHL?

I say no.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 03:30 PM
dcinroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
Every team has their version of Avery, dialed down to half of his potency. So don't act all high and mighty like your team is filled with Lady Byng candidates. I think what he said was funny and I am not much of a fan of his either. I just think it's funny to hear that sort of stuff, a lot of people say hockey interviews are boring but when someone says something funny and it gets a reaction it's "oh dear, what did he just say? oh my virgin ears!"...

Again, lol...
Actually, it is Avery that is biting the hand that feeds him.

The league protects and coddles guys like Avery by having the instigator rule and other protections against violent retaliation for his antics. Maybe the league isn't too happy having Avery run his mouth and then expect league officials to protect his stupid a** all the time.

If you expect to hide behind the rules and manipulate them to you advantage, then you have got to expect some payback at times. Other players aren't allowed to do it anymore, so it has to be the league.

A fine wouldn't do anything to a multimillionaire, but keeping him off the ice and out of the public eye for a time can hurt the little prima donna where he lives.

dcinroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
A sport like Hockey that embraces violence and acts that, if they were not on the ice, would be considered assault. Can not afford to have a war of words go on in the media. If something happened to Avery tonight it would 100% be considered pre meditated.

I'm sure we would all love to see Avery get beaten by Dion but this is not the 1970s anymore. In this situation the NHL legal department stepped in and stopped a potentially large problem for themselves.

My question is..

If Avery said these things.. but had NOT been playing the Flames tonight, would he have been suspended by the NHL?

I say no.
My question is...

Do you still think the NHL suspended him only becasue they were playing the Flames, and if so, why do you think he didnt play against the Oilers either last night?

Old
12-04-2008, 07:55 PM
tony d
Come along, Bort.

No, the NHL didn't make the right call in suspending Avery. While his comments where in bad taste, a fine by the NHL would have sufficed.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Luongo4VP

This suspension was determined by Avery's reputation more than anything.

In a hypothetical situation, if Jarret Stoll had divorced Rachel Hunter, and she went on to date another hockey player who's team Stoll was going to face that night, do you think he would actually be punished in any way if he referred to her as "sloppy seconds". NO.

The league knew that Avery was getting out of control considering the crap he has generated the last few years, they knew they had to take a higher initiative against ass-clowns like Avery. I think most of us would agree that a fine would be enough, but the gong-show we refer to as the NHL, had to go out with a different approach and unjustifiably suspend Avery.

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
Right decision. They would have looked bad had they not. Whatever Avery needed to say could and should have been said on the ice, there was no need to take that to the media. I wouldn't have complained had he not been suspended though; someone on the Flames would have fed him his lunch anyway.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote