Notices

NHL suspends avery indefinitely for comments made, pending hearing

Old
12-02-2008, 05:36 PM
sonetlumiere

vCash: 500
NHL suspends avery indefinitely for comments made, pending hearing

Quote:
The NHL has suspended Dallas Stars' forward Sean Avery indefinitely, pending a hearing with NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, and Avery will not be playing in tonight's game against the Calgary Flames.

Avery is being suspended for disparaging remarks he made this morning in reference to Calgary player Dion Phaneuf and Phaneuf's girl friend Elisha Cuthbert, who previously had a relationship with Avery.

"I am really happy to be back in Calgary, I love Canada," Avery said on camera this morning in Calgary. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about. Enjoy the game tonight."

The hearing will take place in accordance with the NHL Constitution, for conduct "detrimental to the League or game of hockey," the NHL announced today.

Stars' owner Tom Hicks also released a statement on the team's website in which he said he supported the NHL's decision.

"Had the league not have suspended him, the Dallas Stars would have," Hicks stated. "This organization will not tolerate such behaviour, especially from a member of our hockey team. We hold our team to a higher standard and will continue to do so."
- tsn.ca

sucks they had to suspend him immediately following his comments, i would've love to have seen dion hospitalize this embarrassment

sonetlumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

vCash: 1075
I think this may just be the first "Protective Suspension" in the history of the League.

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Pomeranian

I get it he was trash talking for attention etc. But, he did go beyond when insulting a person not playing in the game tonight. It should not be open season on wives and girlfriends and families.....

Pomeranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Hyde

It had to be done, he should have kept it for the game.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 06:11 PM
haQ Loob

Hell, Elisha Cuthbert is hot no matter who did her first. She's on Dion now - he wins. A win is two points. A suspension is none.

Game to Phaneuf, sloppy or not.

haQ Loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Lunatik*

I love how Hicks said the Stars would have suspended him anyways... and hwo Turco called him out for never backing up his big mouth

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 06:32 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Avery is on a roll today. His big mouth goes and gets him suspended for some classless comments, immediately after his coach vouched for him in the media, in which he manages to piss off the Dallas Stars organization and in the end screws over his team tonight who already have significant injuries in the lineup. Way to go, clown. Easily the worst signing of the off-season.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 06:32 PM
MaineHockey1
Let The Season Begin

Send a message via AIM to MaineHockey1
From Boston with love....... Merry Christmas from us to u!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJY_PCehN0
What a joke! As for you guys ....kick some Dallas arse!
And Avery is just jelous he got his butt dumped for someone MUCH better!

MaineHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Reydin

I wanted to see Phaneuf slam that ****, Oh well, money or pain? I personally would've love to see some pain inflicted but thats just me.

Reydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 07:39 PM
getoverit

is their anywhere you can hear this or hear exactly what he said? too bad, between Iggy and Phaneuf, he was toast anyways, would have been fun to watch

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 07:53 PM
mlandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Avery is on a roll today. His big mouth goes and gets him suspended for some classless comments, immediately after his coach vouched for him in the media, in which he manages to piss off the Dallas Stars organization and in the end screws over his team tonight who already have significant injuries in the lineup. Way to go, clown. Easily the worst signing of the off-season.
Yeah, I lost all respect for the Stars once they signed him and they were my favorite Western team before. But they are showing everyone on the team hates him so I'm putting them back on my OK list =p

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Wyrm

As much as I dislike Avery what is NHL doing in people's bedrooms? Are they going to start policing people's private lives? Absolutely ridiculous suspension from that point of view. Gary Battmanello must be stuck with a woman he hates, so he spills his jealousy on the players. The ultimate bad ass.

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Luongo4VP

You guys seriously have no sense of humour. Are you actually mad at Avery's comments? Hell, I would be much more pissed off at the shots he took at Iginla, than what this clown had to say about that Dim-witted frankenstien Dion.

Wow, Calgary fans don't know how to take a joke.

Ps: The league is garbage for that suspension, totally unwarranted. Makes me sad to be a hockey fan really.

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 09:45 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo4VP View Post
You guys seriously have no sense of humour. Are you actually mad at Avery's comments? Hell, I would be much more pissed off at the shots he took at Iginla, than what this clown had to say about that Dim-witted frankenstien Dion.

Ps: The league is garbage for that suspension, totally unwarranted. Makes me sad to be a hockey fan really.
Can we say Hyperbole MKAY!

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Steve

Alot of good comments here;
- Families should be kept out of the Media
- Probably was the first suspension as a preventative measure
- Avery is a Moron
- League should keep out of it and shouldn't have suspended him, a fine would have been better.....and the game would have been WAY more exciting.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Alot of good comments here;
- Families should be kept out of the Media
- Probably was the first suspension as a preventative measure
- Avery is a Moron
- League should keep out of it and shouldn't have suspended him, a fine would have been better.....and the game would have been WAY more exciting.
What exactly did he say to get bashed so badly?

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:38 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo4VP View Post

I guess you and I have a different view on humour, and judging by comments made on the main board by fans of other teams, it appears it's not a "Calgary fans" thing.

I don't want to speak for everyone else, but as far as I'm concerned - No, I'm not "mad" at his comments. I'm just voicing my opinion on comments made by a player I don't like or respect (or find to be funny). Like I said on the GDT, I expected Avery to bring up Phaneuf's girlfriend in trash talking on the ice. But I never thought even he'd be as low as to call the cameras over to make those kind of comments to the media. I'm sure some people liked it because they like his WWE-approach to marketing himself, or some just don't like Phaneuf and found it hilarious, or whatever the case may be, to each his own. There is no middle ground with Avery. People either love him or hate him.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Hyde

Personally, I am mad and disgusted. I understand that players say things on the ice. That was were this should have been said between Sean and Dion, not to the National Media. The term "Sloppy Seconds" is sexist and/or degrading take your pick.

The NHL had absolutely no choice in how to handle this and the fact that so many here think otherwise is scary and sad to honest.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:17 AM
Hyperkookeez*

too bad avery couldnt play tonight and disrupt the stars dressing room

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:30 AM
KiwiFlamesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I guess you and I have a different view on humour, and judging by comments made on the main board by fans of other teams, it appears it's not a "Calgary fans" thing.

I don't want to speak for everyone else, but as far as I'm concerned - No, I'm not "mad" at his comments. I'm just voicing my opinion on comments made by a player I don't like or respect (or find to be funny). Like I said on the GDT, I expected Avery to bring up Phaneuf's girlfriend in trash talking on the ice. But I never thought even he'd be as low as to call the cameras over to make those kind of comments to the media. I'm sure some people liked it because they like his WWE-approach to marketing himself, or some just don't like Phaneuf and found it hilarious, or whatever the case may be, to each his own. There is no middle ground with Avery. People either love him or hate him.
You definately spoke for me in that post.

I think that Nucks fan only came over and posted because they saw an opportunity to bash Phaneuf. As you said people may like it because they dislike Phaneuf.

I find it extremely stupid to, as you also said, call the cameras over to make that comment. He must of been up half the night thinking it up

Any word on what Phaneuf or other Flames thought of it?

KiwiFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 05:42 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiFlamesFan View Post

Any word on what Phaneuf or other Flames thought of it?
No, but his brain was definitely occupied by it...he totally sucked last night.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:43 AM
puck_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrm View Post
As much as I dislike Avery what is NHL doing in people's bedrooms? Are they going to start policing people's private lives? Absolutely ridiculous suspension from that point of view. Gary Battmanello must be stuck with a woman he hates, so he spills his jealousy on the players. The ultimate bad ass.
The NHL is trying to keep people's bedrooms out of the media, by suspending someone for talking about it at an NHL interview after the morning skate.. how is that policing their private lives?

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Sorry, but the NHL did the right thing. While last night's game would have been extremely fun to watch if Avery were, indeed, playing, he shot himself in the foot with his pre-meditated attack on an issue that trancends the rink and into the lives of people un-related to the NHL.

You DO NOT make sexist / derogatory remarks like that when you clearly HAVE NO REASON TO DO SO... ESPECIALLY TO THE MEDIA.

The NHL looks like a class organization for protecting the dignity and respect of someone who cannot defend themself properly after being attacked by a someone beakin' off because they think it's funny. There is no place for that in sports, let alone hockey. If people want to beak off, by all means... do it on the ice.

Avery has no business commenting on the personal lives of other people. Keep your freakin' trap shut. Seems like the NHL, the Dallas Stars organization and Avery's teammates all agree with me here.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Miko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Sorry, but the NHL did the right thing. While last night's game would have been extremely fun to watch if Avery were, indeed, playing, he shot himself in the foot with his pre-meditated attack on an issue that trancends the rink and into the lives of people un-related to the NHL.

You DO NOT make sexist / derogatory remarks like that when you clearly HAVE NO REASON TO DO SO... ESPECIALLY TO THE MEDIA.

The NHL looks like a class organization for protecting the dignity and respect of someone who cannot defend themself properly after being attacked by a someone beakin' off because they think it's funny. There is no place for that in sports, let alone hockey. If people want to beak off, by all means... do it on the ice.

Avery has no business commenting on the personal lives of other people. Keep your freakin' trap shut. Seems like the NHL, the Dallas Stars organization and Avery's teammates all agree with me here.
I completely agree with everything you just said.Avery's the only one to be blamed in this situation.

The nhl's head office made the right call on this one.

Last edited by Miko: 12-03-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 02:55 PM
AndersEriksson*

If only the NHL was as effective in getting rid of hits to the head as they are when it comes to comments about ex-girlfriends.

Technically he was pretty much telling the truth. Even if saying how his sloppy seconds seem to be falling in love with most of the NHL could have been even more accurate.

The suspension was an absolute joke.

Freedom of speech applies even to dumbass hockeyplayers.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote