HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you do it? (All Avery talk here)

Old
12-10-2008, 11:07 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
I sadly moved on when he signed with Dallas but it still hurt a little (like when Optimus Prime dies in the Transformers movie). It's sad but it won't change anything.

However, you guys realize that Avery was extremely under control while playing for the Rangers off the ice (legally) and his antics on the ice wearing blue were blown way out of proportion.

But look at things this way:

1) Nobody thought Avery was worth 4 mill a year. But if Sather gave him that contract on July 1, I would say most people would be ecstatic that he would remain a Ranger but was a bit overpaid.

Now, when Rosie was given his contract, this entire board EXPLODED about not only the length and the dollars, but the fact that Rosie was coming back period.

Couple that with his vastly inconsistent play this season, and you have a guy (Roszival) who has not only lived up to his contract thus far, but he has played IMO his worst season as a Ranger

Sather is obviously trying to move Rosie. If the returning player is the same guy MOST of us didn't want to leave in the first place, then what is the problem?

And by the way, that Avery guy has played quite well offensively for the Rangers the last two seasons. Last time I checked, defense isn't this team's problem. Being last in the NHL in goal scoring is.

make the trade. Just get rid of roszival.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2008, 11:15 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

And you guys think that Avery would have a negative impact in the locker room. Well if he was so hated last season, then why did the team win with him causing all kinds of alleged "distractions". When Avery was at his annoying, attention-grabbing worst, he helped us win a playoff series with all sorts of distractions.

If grown adult men who happen to be millionaire pro athletes play like crap and use a guy who annoys them for a few hours a day as an excuse (see Dallas), I think all those complainers need to do a serious self assessment and check their jocks to make sure something is there to protect

Old
12-11-2008, 12:51 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
This is kind of a bizarre one. Why would the Rangers trade for Avery just to dump him in Hartford?
Quote:
If there was an interested party, the Stars could trade Avery straight up. That would almost undoubtedly involve taking on some other team's problem, financial or otherwise. A well-placed hockey industry source told ESPN.com on Wednesday evening there was a rumor percolating that Avery's old team, the New York Rangers, were interested in dealing defenseman Michal Rozsival and his four-year, $20-million deal to Dallas in exchange for Avery. The source suggested Avery would then be sent to the Rangers' AHL affiliate in Hartford in order to free up cap space to allow the Rangers to make a serious run at unrestricted free agent Mats Sundin who is believed to be paring down the list of teams he will considering signing with and hoping to make a decision within the next week.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3761075

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Since Rozy would be traded for Avery, that would save like 1 mil. Brett Hull would be our ***** so Rismiller would go with Avery. So then we'd have 2 mil saved, plus the space we have now, and we'd have enough to sign Sundin.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 07:18 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8 View Post
I sadly moved on when he signed with Dallas but it still hurt a little (like when Optimus Prime dies in the Transformers movie). It's sad but it won't change anything.

However, you guys realize that Avery was extremely under control while playing for the Rangers off the ice (legally) and his antics on the ice wearing blue were blown way out of proportion.

But look at things this way:

1) Nobody thought Avery was worth 4 mill a year. But if Sather gave him that contract on July 1, I would say most people would be ecstatic that he would remain a Ranger but was a bit overpaid.

Now, when Rosie was given his contract, this entire board EXPLODED about not only the length and the dollars, but the fact that Rosie was coming back period.

Couple that with his vastly inconsistent play this season, and you have a guy (Roszival) who has not only lived up to his contract thus far, but he has played IMO his worst season as a Ranger

Sather is obviously trying to move Rosie. If the returning player is the same guy MOST of us didn't want to leave in the first place, then what is the problem?

And by the way, that Avery guy has played quite well offensively for the Rangers the last two seasons. Last time I checked, defense isn't this team's problem. Being last in the NHL in goal scoring is.

make the trade. Just get rid of roszival.
Eh... I don't know

In the end, you'll still be trading one bad contract for another.

Avery is not a top 6 winger on most nights, and he did disappear when we needed him most in the last two playoffs. At his previously salary I would have taken him, but at 4 million... no thanks. There will probably be better choices at the deadline

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 08:29 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
This is kind of a bizarre one. Why would the Rangers trade for Avery just to dump him in Hartford?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3761075
The Stars would do dump in the AHL if they had there own team, we can just send him down & let them deal with it.

I would do it.
We get rid of Rosi & Rissmiller.
& if Avery can get his act together he can be called up, I doubt ANY team would risk taking him off waivers even at a discount.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 08:57 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

I think Rosie needs to be moved period. That will ensure no Rosie and Kalinin for next season.

If that means Avery comes here and stays in hartford to make room for Sundin or whomever, I have no problem with that. Just get Rosie away from my TV

Old
12-11-2008, 12:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I'd rather give them Redden.

Their garbage contract for ours.

If Potter isn't ready, trade for a cheap replacement. Someone like Paul Ranger or Rostislav Klesla at the trade deadline.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 12:57 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Sather could just bury Avery right? And free up all that cap space. Its a prudent move imo.

Signing Mats is one thing, but there are cap issues moving forward. Guys need to be signed and everyone was counting on Cherepenov showing up next year NHL ready at a low hit...

They could do this move, sign Mats to a one years "lets see how it goes" deal and than regroup next summer.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:01 PM
NYR Viper

if sather is really trading rozsival for avery i expect him to at least get a 3rd round pick with avery....rozsival is a pretty good defenseman and NO ONE wants avery on their team right now....

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:15 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
A Stars fan mentioned on the trade board that Zubov could be having more surgery which would put him out for the season and take his contract off the books, freeing up more room for them. Maybe then Redden could go there but who knows. Rozsival seems like a more viable option in that respect but do we really want Avery back even if it is in Hartford? It was evident that players on the team now didn't like him. I'd rather try and work something else out with Dallas that doesn't involve Avery but who knows what is going to happen. If the Rangers are going to just take Avery off the Stars hands for the hell of it, a 3rd round pick isn't enough. As much as I haven't been pleased with Rozy for his entire tenure here in NY, he is worth a bit more than a 3rd.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:16 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Roszival and Prucha for Avery and Joel Lundqvist

Old
12-11-2008, 01:17 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

If this was to happen and Avery was brought back here for Rozsival how good would it be if Sather could somehow con Dallas into swapping 1st's.

It would never happen but i can wish

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:23 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

If Avery ends up costing Dallas their 1st in 09 they are going to be really sore

Old
12-11-2008, 01:34 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I'd rather give them Redden.

Their garbage contract for ours.

If Potter isn't ready, trade for a cheap replacement. Someone like Paul Ranger or Rostislav Klesla at the trade deadline.
Paul Ranger won't come cheap. He's Tampa's best puck moving d-man no doubt.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:43 PM
TomLaidlaw

I could be totally off on this but I remember hearing somewhere that Hull said the Dallas Stars top two priorities in free agency were

1)Wade Redden
2)Sean Avery

Perhaps they would take Redden in a deal? Again, I am unsure if I really heard that or if it was in one of my dreams. You know your getting old when your dreams about hot women are replaced with dreams about ways to get rid of undesirable hockey contracts.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I could be totally off on this but I remember hearing somewhere that Hull said the Dallas Stars top two priorities in free agency were

1)Wade Redden
2)Sean Avery

Perhaps they would take Redden in a deal? Again, I am unsure if I really heard that or if it was in one of my dreams. You know your getting old when your dreams about hot women are replaced with dreams about ways to get rid of undesirable hockey contracts.
Thats the sickest thing i've ever read on these boards, shame on you

But seriously, Redden is staying here

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:56 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Roszival and Prucha for Avery and Joel Lundqvist
There you go. Avery can spend some time in hartford. Question is......would we need Shanahan back to manage Avery?

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:58 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:

1)Wade Redden
2)Sean Avery

Dallas offered Redden $6 MM per. The Rangers beat them by half a mil and he went with them. I am sure that they would eat another half mil to get rid ov Avery. However, they need to take Rismiller too and give us a prospect or a pick in exchange.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 01:59 PM
TomLaidlaw

[QUOTE=DarrenTurcotte8;16752222] I sadly moved on when he signed with Dallas but it still hurt a little (like when Optimus Prime dies in the Transformers movie). It's sad but it won't change anything. [/QUOTE]

Awesome reference. I always appreciate a 1980's cartoon reference. Duke taking a snake in the heart in the GI Joe movie was a rough moment as well. I found the clip below. How is Scarlett able to diagnose that he went into a coma so quickly? How did she know he wasn't dead?

Old
12-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:

1)Wade Redden
2)Sean Avery

Your not off, I remember that the 4 teams interested in Redden, were the Flames, the Rangers, the Sharks, and the Stars. The Sharks, had acquired Boyle, and signed Blake, which they made out like bandits on.(Blake has the same cap hit, but is only signed for 1 year, while Boyle is signed for 6 years @ 6.6 mil. I wanted to get both players, and I was flamed for it. ) I think Calgary is backed up, on the Cap, so the only suitor for Wade I would think would be Dallas as of right now.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 03:39 PM
GarretJoseph*

Canadian Radio 590 FAN reporting Rozsvial to Stars for Avery could be done by tonight....

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 03:46 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Canadian Radio 590 FAN reporting Rozsvial to Stars for Avery could be done by tonight....

whoa. So if the above post is correct, we are doing this to clear room to make room for Sundin by sending Avery to hartford?? Does that make sense to anyone? Why wouldn't we just send Rozy to Hartford?

Old
12-11-2008, 03:47 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
whoa. So if the above post is correct, we are doing this to clear room to make room for Sundin by sending Avery to hartford?? Does that make sense to anyone? Why wouldn't we just send Rozy to Hartford?
It makes no sense to me.

12-11-2008, 03:48 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
??????

I have a very hard time believing any of this unless Niskanen, Grossman or Robidas were included in the deal

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote