HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Anyone else getting the feeling that Higgins will be moved?

Old
12-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Erika

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
did he play tonight?
I didn't seen him at all, did you ?

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Corey

Quote:
if higgins gets traded it has nothing to do with d'agostini. probably because we realized he is not as good as we thought and hopefully his value is still high.

its beyond me why this guy even plays...i dont even notice him at all. its funny that latendresse gets benched and he is prolly the last player i would defend but at least i notice lats when he plays. lats was waaay more effective than higgins with koivu.

also interesting to me how there are several guys on this team that need to play with koivu to have success. is there really one player that needs to play with kovy to be effective?
Higgins has a good track record. Maybe Lats is not as good as his fans think he is. IMO d'Agostini has shown him up. As for SKost, I would consider trading him after Gainey signs his much more valuable brother. Who knows, he could end end playing with his comrade Grabovski in Toronto.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 10:32 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post

I sure did. Haven't seen Sergei in a while though.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 11:04 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
I sure did. Haven't seen Sergei in a while though.
it is actually worse to be on the ice and be as invisible as someome who actually did not play.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Aarex

Quote:

I said it 3 years ago and people laughed at me. Now who's laughing huh ?!.

Quote:
Uh huh

Aarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

I saw him; hes the only guy with some speed on his line. If you guys didn't notice him, it might've been because of Kovalevs turn-overs making the camera mans life a living hell. I think you guys have too high expectations. He plays a forecheck game, and hopefully gets a goal every now and then. He's a 2nd, 3rd liner. Good character player.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 11:16 PM
FunkyHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Yeah we definitely need less players that give 100% every game and have some scoring touch.
lol, please, have u watched some game ?

FunkyHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Like I said before...if Carbonneau wants to punish somebody, he doesn't send them to the press-box, he puts them on Kovalev's line.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 11:58 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
it is actually worse to be on the ice and be as invisible as someome who actually did not play.
Too bad he WAS visible though. I'm sorry if scoring goals is the only thing you notice on the ice.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:48 AM
holyhabs87

i like higgins. i have no problem with him as a 3rd liner.

i mean higgins-lang-kovy..possibly the worst line carbo has ever assembled.

all im saying is if he gets traded it will most likely be for an impact player. he seems to have great trade value. that trading value far exceeds his value to this team on ice IMO.

he doesnt contribute anything significant to this team proved by all his supporters claiming he does the "little things."

therefore, why not trade him? his name has been mentioned in trades for guys like hossa and gaborik. if we can trade a guy who does the little things for someone like the names i mentioned above..its a win for us. those are guys that would bring something to this team. we would never miss higgins. we do miss a player that takes us over the top. which is what we lack considering kovy is a no show this year.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:49 AM
emb24*

higgy played 16 mins, + 1. that line played well tonight

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:51 AM
Rayne*

Quote:

Puckbunny.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:54 AM
holyhabs87

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Too bad he WAS visible though. I'm sorry if scoring goals is the only thing you notice on the ice.
i noticed our supposed power forward in possession of the puck with a clear lane to the net. then i noticed our power forward just take a simple wrist shot from the angle instead of cutting to the middle and driving.

its a common thing for him to pass up an opportunity to drive to the net. he would be soo much more effective if he did especially when all thats in his way is a stick. he could just use his body to protect the puck.

Old
12-05-2008, 01:13 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
The fact of the matter is Higgins is not particularly great at anything but good at everything, good speed, good passing, good shot, good hockey sense, good defensive ability. In the end, it's odd to say this, but it's hard to give the guy a role on a team because he has no real expertise. I like him though, i want him to stay, they just need to find this guy a role, whether it's defensive forward or 1st line player. He bounces around, fills in spaces, decently mind you, but until he has his optimal role set, people will keep talking trade. I wouldn't trade him, he's a good player and I want him to stay. Just hope they give him a role so he can focus on it and excel in it.

Also, with our currently line-up as:

Andrei-Koivu-D'ags
Tang-Plek-Kosto
Higgins-Lang-kovalev
Begin-Lapierre-Laraque

People have to consider that out of the 12 forwards listed, kovalev, lang, begin and kost may not be back. That's 4 roster spots, 2 are for gui and sergei, maybe one will stay, and the other someone like maxpac, but i suspect 2 rookies maxpac/chipchura.

We can't just trade everyone away when there's a lot of questions about who will and won't be here next year. Higgins would certainly be nice to have after the older guys leave. Yes, there's guys in hamilton to take his place but honestly, I think only chipchura is NHL ready, but he needs to increase his speed, maxpax, dispite the hype, still needs a little more in the ahl IMO. The rest aren't really NHL ready. Even if they were, can they throw in 25 goals a year that Higgins would've scored? I doubt it.

Yes, but higgins can be replaced if we trade for a kovalchuk, sure, it's an upgrade, but despite a couple rumours, it's not even official he's being shopped. And even if we get him, you think it's higgins for kovalchuk straight up, they'd ask for maxpac or someone else who will be important to our future along with even more picks/prospects, can we just give that up when we don't know how it will work out? Especially chemistry wise?

At the end of the day, you can potential lose several KEY assets, kovalev, lang, koivu, komisarek, tanguay, why the hell would gainey trade his RFAs, Latendresse and higgins for instance? Gainey is far more intelligent than that. Gainey likes depth so at the end of the day, whether higgins is 1st star or no star next game, he knows when the other guys don't produce, secondary scoring is important. Ottawa anyone, 3 elite players, but the team is dead last, Tampa bay of last year? Anyone recall this, when the team would depend on one super talented line as opposed to 3 or 4 less talented lines? I prefer this scenario. It's safer, it's cheaper, it's more reliable. It's the way gainey functions, Higgins would really have to be involved in a steal to be dealt.

At the end of the day, let's be honest here, all this talk because maybe d'ags is playing well? D'ags looks fast, strong on his skates and plays a simple game but honestly, let's all base 3 games on the future. I hope d'ags does well, and I hope higgins does well, and I hope they are both here when it happens.

I suppose this is one of the only places that people are so passionate about their team they just need to talk. Just because a player is doing well, doesn't mean someone else is expendable. Is too much of a good thing really that bad?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 01:21 AM
holyhabs87

your are right. but its too many good players..not enough great players.

we need at least 1 that can carry us. a-kost, koivu even tanguay...thats superb.

but a player above them is what is needed for this team to really have a shot this year. its what the habs have been lacking for so many years now. a superstar.

u make a good point that we have so many FA's so options might be even more limited.

Old
12-05-2008, 01:35 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
your are right. but its too many good players..not enough great players.

we need at least 1 that can carry us. a-kost, koivu even tanguay...thats superb.

but a player above them is what is needed for this team to really have a shot this year. its what the habs have been lacking for so many years now. a superstar.

u make a good point that we have so many FA's so options might be even more limited.
It's tough to just pick out of the pack, what if you trade higgins, then kovalev slumps? or andrei gets an injury. What happens then?

If you gotta trade someone, trade a potential UFA not a RFA, if he's not coming back, you're not losing anything for the future anyway.

There's only 2 elite players potentially on the market right now, one is kovalchuk(even then I don't think a deal will be made, but anything is possible), the other is gaborik, he hasn't officially said he wouldn't resign yet and I think the price would be very high, extremely talented, elite speed player, who's injured 25% of the time, do we really need that?

As far as I can tell, there isn't much else on the market right now besides maybe someone like bouwmester, but even then, I think him and gaborik will most likely test the UFA market even if they get traded.

Remember Ryan Smyth? Traded to NYI, Loved by NYI, Left NYI. They lost Ryan O'marra, Robert Nilsson and 15th overall pick in the 2007 draft. Ryan Smyth, a loyal guy like that, he packed his bags and left, NYI weren't good before that, losing 3 guys who will probably make the nhl didn't make them any better.

Ryan is no superstar, but he was a guy you could depend on and while he's not in kovalchuk's class, it may also suggest the odds of retaining such a prized free agent might be just a tad harder than someone in smyth's class.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Tortue

Higgins Lats O'Byrne 1st - Bouwmeester

Tortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 08:24 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
I must admit I have been a little dissapointed with Higgins play, especially in the playoffs last year. I still like him but the guy needs to add a little (or a lot) of jam to his game, he seems too nice.

Chris has all the tools to be an elite player but he just can't get it all together. If we were going to trade him though, I would want the return to be huge because you know he would break out with another team.
I don't agree with the bold part.

Sure, he has above average speed and, in a good day, he's amazing at putting pressure on d-men, and creating turnovers, and at taking the puck from opponents, but that's about it.

His shot his average, with poor precision and predictable release (everybody know the shot his coming -- goalies always have time to get a good positionning). His passing skills are below average and he doesn't seem to have a good vision offensively, rarely in the good position to take rebounds, for example. He's not a factor on the powerplay. He's generally good in his own zone, but Habs have enough PK-ers better than him (including Kovalev!)

I think he's a bonafied third liner, the kind of Third Liner able to put around 20 goals on the board, in bunch, which is extremely valuable. I think he's the kind of player who would blossom once expectations would be lower and once he would play with guys in the Micheal Peca mold (the old good one). In Mtl, I think he would be more efficient playing with guys like Lapierre or Chipchura, for example. For those reasons, I don't think habs should trade him; a team needs those types of player. And despite not producing, there is no way he should go in the stands. He works hard and he's still valuable everytime he's on the ice.

I would say he could become the perfect "shadow" of all the "Crosby-Malkin-Oveshkin" of the world, exactly like Carbonneau once was...

LePoche69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Such a homer.

Lethinen in his first 3 seasons was something like a combined +60. Higgins? - a Dozen.

But that's what happens when you only watch Habs games... zero perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
First season = +5
Second season = +26
Third season = +19

So Mr. Smartass, 5+26+19 = 38? I think not. Back to the drawing board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Still that makes 51, not 60... you are sure good at giving advice to yourself
Actually neither one of you fools can add.

5 + 26 + 19 = 50 Not 60 (BT) or 38 or 51 (Ozy)

Entertaining debate though, props to you two for livening up my morning.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Habitants

do ppl forget that higgins was one of the hottest players in the NHL after the all star game last season? something like 18 goals in 23 games?

it's always waht have you done for me lately syndrom isnt it.

some players will step in later you dont need to be dominant now, you need to be dominant in the playoffs, and so i really dont see what everyone is crying about since the team is well on pace for 100 points. im really gettign sick of some of this crap that some players or the team in general is crap. either you are a dedicated fan or you are just on the bandwagon

he is a great well balanced player. very smart. he can be used in all situations and he is still very young. he works hard all the time(unlike some others) i really do not see why he should be moved!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
he is a great well balanced player. very smart. he can be used in all situations and he is still very young. he works hard all the time(unlike some others) i really do not see why he should be moved!
People would rather give up a player we can afford for a player we cannot afford and expect 19 and 20 year olds to pick up the slack.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:43 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I noticed Higgins. He worked hard on the boards, was pressuring the puck carrier and created a lot of turnovers. He did his job.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:47 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
higgy played 16 mins, + 1. that line played well tonight
I felt they were the worst line out there last night... if not for the 3rd period goal, I'd say they were a non-factor... but at least they weren't bad.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
I don't agree with the bold part.

Sure, he has above average speed and, in a good day, he's amazing at putting pressure on d-men, and creating turnovers, and at taking the puck from opponents, but that's about it.

His shot his average, with poor precision and predictable release (everybody know the shot his coming -- goalies always have time to get a good positionning). His passing skills are below average and he doesn't seem to have a good vision offensively, rarely in the good position to take rebounds, for example. He's not a factor on the powerplay. He's generally good in his own zone, but Habs have enough PK-ers better than him (including Kovalev!)

I think he's a bonafied third liner, the kind of Third Liner able to put around 20 goals on the board, in bunch, which is extremely valuable. I think he's the kind of player who would blossom once expectations would be lower and once he would play with guys in the Micheal Peca mold (the old good one). In Mtl, I think he would be more efficient playing with guys like Lapierre or Chipchura, for example. For those reasons, I don't think habs should trade him; a team needs those types of player. And despite not producing, there is no way he should go in the stands. He works hard and he's still valuable everytime he's on the ice.

I would say he could become the perfect "shadow" of all the "Crosby-Malkin-Oveshkin" of the world, exactly like Carbonneau once was...
I agree 100%. I think the problem some people (including me) have is that they expect a bit too much out of him. I just hope Gainey pays him as a good 3rd/2nd liner.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Quote:

I didn't see him either...

Cause you were blocking my 50" TV

Sergei says no fat chicks