HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs players (not) respecting the game plan

Old
12-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Newhabfan

vCash: 500
Habs players (not) respecting the game plan

First - I'm not a hockey expert/analyst so I usually try to stay away from technical aspects. However, I listened to Pat Burns this morning on CKAC and I was really surprised. First, let it be known that Burns watched the Trashers game on an official purpose (he had to make a report after for his team).

What he saw was that the Habs played a very strict and solid "trap" during the first 2 periods - he even mentioned Brisebois playing the "dog" at some point - trying to get Atlanta players frustrated and error prone. I never saw that this way - it seemed to me like an offensive 2 period (which shows how much I know about the game ).

Anyway - he said that starting the third period, players went out of the game plan, trying, according to him, to "get on the scoresheet" since it was 3-0 after all. And that Atlanta started to play the "frustrating" style....

Which brought to memory the Detroit game, when the Habs played the same trap game.

Could it be that Carbo's irritation comes out of players not repecting the game plan? From contract year players taking risks in order to get points ? That he designs a defensive game plan and they refuse to put out the effort required ?

And then I heard from other analysts (more or less reliable) that Carbonneau cannot expect to have his offensive minded team playing a defensive trap too often.... Since it would go against their nature...

Thoughts?

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 10:54 AM
AH

The team has to learn to crawl before they can walk. He did the same thing last year and then let them loose in the 2nd half.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Iwishihadacup

Well sure kovy does not respectgame plan, taking longer shifts than supposed... such a distraction for his team

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
And then I heard from other analysts (more or less reliable) that Carbonneau cannot expect to have his offensive minded team playing a defensive trap too often.... Since it would go against their nature...
We have a very two way team. That is our biggest strength. We're not made up of snipers and floaters. Even our biggest floater, Kovalev, puts in very good work on the PK.

The Detroit game and the first two periods of Atlanta is exactly how the Habs should play. Suffocating offence, suffocating trap.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
The team has to learn to crawl before they can walk. He did the same thing last year and then let them loose in the 2nd half.
Precisely.

And the thing that's even better this year, is that most players are on the + side, whereas at the same point last year, they were solely relying on the PP and had a bad record on 5-on-5.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
First - I'm not a hockey expert/analyst so I usually try to stay away from technical aspects. However, I listened to Pat Burns this morning on CKAC and I was really surprised. First, let it be known that Burns watched the Trashers game on an official purpose (he had to make a report after for his team).

What he saw was that the Habs played a very strict and solid "trap" during the first 2 periods - he even mentioned Brisebois playing the "dog" at some point - trying to get Atlanta players frustrated and error prone. I never saw that this way - it seemed to me like an offensive 2 period (which shows how much I know about the game ).

Anyway - he said that starting the third period, players went out of the game plan, trying, according to him, to "get on the scoresheet" since it was 3-0 after all. And that Atlanta started to play the "frustrating" style....
Which brought to memory the Detroit game, when the Habs played the same trap game.

Could it be that Carbo's irritation comes out of players not repecting the game plan? From contract year players taking risks in order to get points ? That he designs a defensive game plan and they refuse to put out the effort required ?

Thoughts?
I think that's been the biggest issue this year...heading into this year, this was the danger of having so many pending UFA's. True that theoretically they should be motivated to put up big seasons, but they also start thinking selfishly (like Bégin yesterday sending a blind back pass into the slot when Atlanta had pulled their goalie) trying to put up points to secure their contracts.

I'm not too worried to tell you the truth because I think the team hasn't been as bad as everyone thinks, they've yet to hit their groove but i'm confident they will. But this must be a concern for Gainey

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Not that I mind the trap, but I think it can only be applied to certain teams. In Detroit's case it worked wonders same for Atlanta in the first two periods.

This kind of strategy would not work against a physical or defensive minded team. Sort of like Anaheim or Boston.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:42 PM
ngc_5128

Quote:
Thoughts?
To me, the trap is the way to go. If you have a high tempo type of roster, playing the trap should be a no brainer as it exposes the weaknesses of your opponents by forcing them to act under pressure and allows you to counter. If you have a defense first type of team, or you have a team with not alot of offensive power, the trap is another no brainer, since it will limit the offensive chances your opponent can generate.

I think the problem with the Habs most of the time is that as soon as things start going good with the trap (IE: creating turnovers, high pressure, many odd man rushes) and they score, they start to underestimate their opponents and deviate from the plan. I think they did so well against the Wings because after they got their goals, they continued to respect both their opponent and the game plan , something they failed to do against Atlanta.

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:46 PM
BigTimer*

They'd clog up the neutral zone, make Atlanta dump it, and let Price play it to one of the two men back.

Better strategy than letting them walk into the zone untouched.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote