HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Feet Hurt

Old
12-03-2008, 08:18 PM
87vert

vCash: 500
Feet Hurt

So after about 20mins of skating (public session) my feet start to hurt. Its pretty much the bottom of my feet not really in a particular spot. It did it with my old skates and now my new Bauer XXV's. (They were fitted at the shop and Im sure they are the correct size)

I had them heat molded and that took out a pressure point I felt while trying them on.

Do you think insoles would help? If so which ones? Shock Doctors? Superfeet?

I've done about 4-5 hours of skating on them after they were baked so I'm not sure if there just not completely broken in yet.

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Red Dragon

laces too tight at the bottom of the skate?

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 08:35 PM
87vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
laces too tight at the bottom of the skate?
That may be my problem. I like my skates tight around my ankles so I think I over tighten at the bottom. Im prolly going out again tomorrow so I will experiment some more.

Thanks

Old
12-03-2008, 08:46 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Your insole could be an issue too. But which one you choose can depend on the shape of your arch- what's perfect for one foot hurts somebody else's.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Your insole could be an issue too. But which one you choose can depend on the shape of your arch- what's perfect for one foot hurts somebody else's.

Yeah, 9 times out of 10, it's because he have over tighten the skate. In fact, the first five eyelets up the skate has to be where the laces can be moved up and down with your finger and they should be where you can move them freely.

All of the rest of the eyelets should be tight for ankle support. The reason why it hurts is becuase the blood is not able to get down to the rest of the foot, so the muscle start to shut down do to lack of oxygen. That's where the ache comes from.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:42 PM
tamtamg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Yeah, 9 times out of 10, it's because he have over tighten the skate. In fact, the first five eyelets up the skate has to be where the laces can be moved up and down with your finger and they should be where you can move them freely.

All of the rest of the eyelets should be tight for ankle support. The reason why it hurts is becuase the blood is not able to get down to the rest of the foot, so the muscle start to shut down do to lack of oxygen. That's where the ache comes from.

Head coach
As usual, head coach hits it on the head. Personally I don't even bother tightening my bottom 6 eyelets, the next 4 eyelets i tighten as much as possible, then leave the top eyelet unlaced.

tamtamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Get new feet?

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 11:17 PM
noobman

Quote:

Head coach
Heh, you learn something new everyday.... I'll give that a shot the next time I'm on the ice.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 12:35 AM
nullterm

Quote:

Head coach
What he said. Just make sure the top part is tight for ankle support. I notice a big difference, for the worse, if my ankles have any wiggle room.

Bottom half snug, top half as tight as I can get it. I've even wrecked a lace tightener tool trying to go as tight as possible on the top half. I just about reverse punched myself in the face when the steel L part hyperextended and let go of the lace.

I also found it took some time for me to break my skates in, or as they also say, it took a while for my skates to break me in.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 02:18 PM
87vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Get new feet?
Tried, on backorder till the new year

Thanks for the help guys, I will try it out later.

Old
12-05-2008, 06:10 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
So after about 20mins of skating (public session) my feet start to hurt.
My feet after 20 minutes of public sessions too, nothing wrong with my skates, I just don't really like public skates. You may find that if you're actually skating for a reason, the pain will not appear. I can ref 3 games in a row and my feet won't bother me, but 20 minutes at an open skate is enough for one day.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:04 AM
NYRSinceBirth

I guess it's a person by person basis. I used to tie loose/snug the bottom 4/5/6 tight on the ankle, and snug up top 2/3/4. Then I started to just tie the skate tight from top to bottom and I like it much better. My feet never hurt, I get very good support, and it doesn't hinder movement at all. I would not recommend my way, as it goes against the collective majority of what is accepted to work, but it's just what I do.

Edit: That's on Vapor XIX with wax laces. I'm assuming the was laces would average out lace pressure after some use as the Vapors don't have a lace lock. When I did different pressures, they would even out and make the whole skate just snug, or not tight enough, which hurt my skating. That's why I resorted to going tight through and through, it's much more comfortable for me that way. I used to use non waxed laces, but I really didn't use them long enough to judge them, I kinda just tried the wax ones.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:29 PM
87vert

sorry I didnt reply back soon but it looks like that was the problem they were just too tight on the bottom.

I think I might still look into the superfeet insoles so for a bit more comfort.

Thanks

Old
12-16-2008, 09:32 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
Tried, on backorder till the new year

Well played.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:42 PM
PIMking

My new bauers did the same thing and I dont tighten my skates down that much at all.

I found that the crappy soles that they put in them skates suck bad so I took my soles out of my asic's running shoes and there ya go worked wonders. Sometimes my feet hurt but that is only when I sit on the bench.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote