HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Little Gretz?

Old
12-04-2008, 02:04 PM
94now

vCash: 500
A Little Gretz?

This is another Zherdev conversation. He reminds me of TGO by his playing manners. He is far from direct comparison, but to me he is already a strong replica of the player I still adore. Agree or disagree?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 02:05 PM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
This is another Zherdev conversation. He reminds me of TGO by his playing manners. He is far from direct comparison, but to me he is already a strong replica of the player I still adore. Agree or disagree?
He's nothing like Gretzky. Two completely different styles.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 02:06 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Eh, I don't see it...

He's a lot faster than Gretz, but doesn't have a 99th of the hockey sense.

He is much more of a shooter than Gretz was.

So maybe a faster, dumber, more shooting Gretz! Haha.

I don't see it, though.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 02:16 PM
McRanger

He does love the blueline curl.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 02:17 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
gretzky at one point in his career around this time of the season was pushing for 50 goals IN 39 GAMES...no comparison

but in zherdev we trust

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I was watching the game last night and I just continue to be in awe every time I see Malkin and Crosby play.

In turn, Zherdev doesnt have anywhere near the talent of those guys...and those guys dont have anywhere near the talent of Gretzky.

Thats not to say Zherdev isnt a skilled player though.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 02:22 PM
nevesis

Zherdev is by far a more technically skilled hockey player than Gretzky ever was, but Gretzky had hockey sense that has yet to be seen still.

The game was different back then and scoring goals was a lot easier than it is today.

Gretzky in his prime today would have not scored 92 goals like he did in the 81-82 season with the Oilers.

However, until someone matches his numbers, he will forever be known as the great one.

Old
12-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Michael Nylander (when playing with Jagr) reminded me of a poor man's Gretzky.

Old
12-04-2008, 02:39 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Ha, Swedish Gretzky was Nyl's nickname. The two things I always associated with Gretzky was the - skate in past blue line, skate in a circle, pass to trailer, and his "office"

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 03:02 PM
brettholmesx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I was watching the game last night and I just continue to be in awe every time I see Malkin and Crosby play.

In turn, Zherdev doesnt have anywhere near the talent of those guys...and those guys dont have anywhere near the talent of Gretzky.

i beg to differ with zherdev not having anywhere near the talent of malkin and crosby. i think zherdev has just as much talent if not more than them. im not saying hes better, but theres a lot of talent in this kid thats yet to have been seen.

and as for him being like gretzky yeah i dont see it

brettholmesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZherdeV View Post
He's nothing like Gretzky. Two completely different styles.
oh please don't start this type of comparison.......let the guy play and dangle his way to some pts

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettholmesx View Post
i beg to differ with zherdev not having anywhere near the talent of malkin and crosby. i think zherdev has just as much talent if not more than them. im not saying hes better, but theres a lot of talent in this kid thats yet to have been seen.

and as for him being like gretzky yeah i dont see it
If Zherdev realizes every ounce of his talent, he will not be as good as Malkin or Crosby. Those guys are going to be all-timers when all is said and done.

Zherdev is older, and has never broken 30 goals or 70 points. Its getting to the point where some if you might have to question if you're mistaking flashy play for talent....and that he may wind up being a good, but not great player.

Old
12-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
oh please don't start this type of comparison.......let the guy play and dangle his way to some pts
Yeah, Gretz was never much of a dangler, mostly because he didn't really have to be. He was so smart that he didn't have to make insane moves to find openings in the defense. If you insist on comparing Zherdev to an all-time great, which is really just dumb in my opinion, you'd be better off starting with Lemieux. But seriously, even if we're limiting this conversation to "playing manners", just, no... no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
He is much more of a shooter than Gretz was.
I also disagree with this. Zherdev doesn't shoot nearly enough in my opinion. I really thought we were getting a guy who was going to pepper the net with shots and be really proactive about getting the puck to the net in any way possible (ala Bure or Ovechkin), but that has not been the case in my eyes. Also, you don't score 50 in 39 by not being a very prolific shooter. I've always felt that Gretzky's shot has been underrated (especially his big slapper), if that's even possible for the leading goal scorer in history.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZherdeV View Post
Zherdev is by far a more technically skilled hockey player than Gretzky ever was
This is one of the most absurd statements I've ever read.

People have this perception of Gretzky that he scored all garbage goals on slapshots or something.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFX0dVXNDXw if the video is being stupid

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
If Zherdev realizes every ounce of his talent, he will not be as good as Malkin or Crosby. Those guys are going to be all-timers when all is said and done.

Zherdev is older, and has never broken 30 goals or 70 points. Its getting to the point where some if you might have to question if you're mistaking flashy play for talent....and that he may wind up being a good, but not great player.
I love Zherdev but I basically agree with your point here. Zherdev has above average vision and hockey sense but Malkin and Crosby are far better decision makers. They both know when to shoot and when to pass whereas sometimes Zherdev looks like he's forcing it a little bit.

You also can't discount the advantage that Malkin and Crosby have just by the fact that they are two phenomenal talents playing on the same team. Much like Jagr and Lemiux.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 03:35 PM
alkurtz

Have we forgotten just how great TGO was? 200 points, 160 assists, 90 goals....I know it was a different era but those figures are just staggering and unimaginable. Sometimes I look at the stats and just shake my head.
A more apt comparison for TGO would be Crosby.
A more apt comparison for Z (and I have no complaints about him) would be Kovalev.
The only player to come close to TGO was Mario.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Have we forgotten just how great TGO was? 200 points, 160 assists, 90 goals....I know it was a different era but those figures are just staggering and unimaginable. Sometimes I look at the stats and just shake my head.
A more apt comparison for TGO would be Crosby.
A more apt comparison for Z (and I have no complaints about him) would be Kovalev.
The only player to come close to TGO was Mario.
I don't think anyone has. I think the OP was talking style only, and everyone else is up in arms about that even. Comparing Crosby to Gretzky is still a travesty, by the way.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 03:46 PM
bettercallstaal
Stepan Stepan Stepan

No one is ever going to top Wayne Gretzky... When Crosby broke in there was all the comparisons to him and I just don't see it. Maybe in style yes but talent no. Plus its a different era and the sheer amount of points gretzky put up is just unfathamable. It's just like the shutout record... i think its 27... never going to be broken. As far as Zherdev though dont get ahead of yourself just be happy we have him... Like stated above a better comparison is Kovalev

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 03:47 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I don't think anyone has. I think the OP was talking style only, and everyone else is up in arms about that even. Comparing Crosby to Gretzky is still a travesty, by the way.
Yeah, I mean Gretz was pretty much Crosby's passing + OV's goal scoring + that touch of greatness.

we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 03:53 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

People have this perception of Gretzky that he scored all garbage goals on slapshots or something.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFX0dVXNDXw if the video is being stupid
lol man the goalies were so damn bad back then.

but yea gretzky would have still be the most dominant player in todays game in his prime, just prolly not 250+ points in a season dominant.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 04:17 PM
beastly115

Quote:

Agreed. Crosby and Malkin just take over the ice when they play. It'd be nice if Zherdev blossomed into a player of their calibur, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 04:21 PM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Not at all, the game is completely different today and goaltending has taken a quantum leap since the 80's-early 90's when Gretzky dominated.

Old
12-04-2008, 04:58 PM
The Thomas J.*

Z does love the top of the circle & blueline curl, out side of that I see no comparrison at all.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
uh why did I think this thread would be about Sidney Crosby? There is nothing about Zherdev's game that reminds me of Gretzky aside Z having great passing vision. As good as he is at that I still don't think he was as good as TGO.

Z has been good for us but lets not get carried away here. The release of his shot does remind me of a Mr. Mogilny.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 05:57 PM
PromNite
This is awkward...

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
I understand where you're going with this thread, but let's not compare Zherdev to the best player to ever lace up a pair of skates.

When watching TGO in his best years, you constantly got the feeling that he was the best player on the ice... that he was simply playing down to the level of others... and he could score a goal at any point that he wished.

Zherdev has some sick puck handling skills, but he is not even in the same league, the same planet, or even the same universe as Gretzky.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote