HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/4/08 "Bills at Dol...errr, I mean" Sabres at Panthers

View Poll Results: Tonights Winner
PANTHERS 18 66.67%
sabres 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2008, 09:59 PM
zeroG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
My conception of the game does not need to grow at all. For the record, I've played at some relatively high levels of hockey, with some relatively high-profile players, and I've also been certified to and have reffed and coached. I understand 100% what a "team game" hockey is, believe me. When you belong to a team, your different players need to do what they do best and execute. That means your grinders need to grind, your playmakers need to make plays, your differenty defensemen need to do their job, and your goalie needs to do his job. Everyone has a role. CPR have finally stepped up and really started synergizing in their role. Instead of playing like an AHL line, they've started playing aggressively and now they're really working hard out there. It's rubbing off on the team. No one is being lazy and everyone is pulling their own weight.

One thing we had going on previously was that our best players weren't being our best players (sound familiar e.g. Olli last year). Horton was playing okay but he wasn't really doing anything special. Booth was the exception to that. When Horton went down it really gave Frolik an opportunity to step up onto that line and get increased minutes and he's been playing much more lately. He's been more productive and involved than Horton had in that role, which is why some of the other posters here are even calling to keep Frolik, Weiss, and Booth together even after Horts comes back. This obviously means that Frolik has been playing excellently when he's doing a better job filling in for our supposed "top forward" in Horton than Horton did prior to his injury really save for a couple games. Frolik playing well and playing as a top player would play is just as important as Peltonen's improved play lately or Campbell's forechecking. If Weiss and Olesz were on hot streaks too right now, Frolik probably would have many more points than he has in his recent stretch. At so many times this year, one of our best players, Horton, simply wasn't playing like one of our best players and this is where the whole team concept comes into play. Yes, you play on a team, but if you don't pull your own weight individually, then the team will suffer and will underachieve. At the moment, every single player is pulling their weight, or more, and that's why we're seeing these results but it's because they're doing their jobs individually.
well, that's a big statement and one you probably want to reconsider. if david booth is taking power skating lessons to improve his game, anybody can and should work to grow their knowledge and skill. yes, frolik is having more of an impact than horton. he's working hard on the wall, showing good vision and patience. that said, having more of an impact than horton doesn't really take much these days.

i'll also fundamentally disagree with your analysis about CPR (which shows a lack of understand of the fundamentals of game, imo). they didn't just step up and start playing like nhl'ers. listen to what pelts and campbell have to say. they're playing the same way they've played all year long (yes, i've said it a dozen times now). the difference is that we are executing in our zone and in the neutral zone and as a result, their forecheck game has been much more effective. as potvin said tonight, one guy getting in on the forecheck to hit the puck carrier does a team no good. the first guy needs to get there with speed and separate the player from the puck and then you need the 2nd guy there to scoop up the puck. we're seeing that consistently the past 6 games. you don't get 2 guys deep on the puck without good transition. i'll say it again for emphasis, you don't get 2 guys deep on the puck without good transition. transition: THAT, imo, is why the team is playing so well right now. of course, those guys who get in on the forecheck need to win the battles and they have but it all starts on the backend.

Old
12-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Great8Cam

The jumbo doesn't have sound for the replay so I can't tell you if they hacked it out and then it came loose after the whistle, or if it was always loose and just not seen and therefore a whistle.

Old
12-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i like deboer and would probably prefer to play for him if i was a player but this is not his doing. he's fortunate that right now, he has no prima donnas in the lineup. he's got a bunch of hungry first year pros, something JM didn't have the luxury of last year.
Agreed we have better prospects being called up this year as opposed to last year, but Deboer being the head coach and all still picks what line goes out there for a particular situation and IMO I think he is getting more confortable with the lines and players he picks and chooses to put on the ice in those certain situations that can make or break your game.

Old
12-04-2008, 10:32 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Agreed we have better prospects being called up this year as opposed to last year, but Deboer being the head coach and all still picks what line goes out there for a particular situation and IMO I think he is getting more confortable with the lines and players he picks and chooses to put on the ice in those certain situations that can make or break your game.
sure. he deserves some credit and, as i said, i really like him. keep in mind that JM's teams all competed pretty consistently and when healthy had some streaks of their own. the main point though is that the boys are executing well and winning the battles in the trenches. not to take anything away from pdb but right now, it really doesn't make much of a difference *who* you throw out there, everyone knows what they have to do: get their noses dirty and win battles.

Old
12-04-2008, 10:35 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great8Cam View Post
The jumbo doesn't have sound for the replay so I can't tell you if they hacked it out and then it came loose after the whistle, or if it was always loose and just not seen and therefore a whistle.
the play was WAY dead. it wasn't even close. that's why ballard went after their guy. it was a bit of a cheap move to even try to get a shot off. the point is moot, the car is mine. (little inside joke. very little).

Old
12-04-2008, 11:00 PM
zeroG

ok, conversing with myself at this point but if you want a chuckle, check out the sabres board around page 3. somewhere around there, it turned into a haiku standoff. very funny.

Old
12-05-2008, 12:19 AM
dhasek3910

I love the Candyman.

Old
12-05-2008, 01:18 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhasek3910 View Post
I love the Candyman.
him?

Old
12-05-2008, 01:27 AM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
him?

Pretty sure he meat him.

Old
12-05-2008, 04:29 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by johano90 View Post
2 games in hand. Carolina played tonight and lost.

How did McArdle look? I wasn't able to watch the game.
Exactly...since we had a game in hand against Carolina, we BOTH played tonight, we still have a game in hand on Carolina lol. Mc'D played ok, I thought of the rooks out there, besides Frolik, Matthias looked the best.

OH and BTW...Andy gets the start again on Saturday against the B's.

Last edited by pb1300: 12-05-2008 at 04:45 AM.
Old
12-05-2008, 06:18 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
You guys realize that the Sabres tied it up unofficially. The ref luckily blew a quick whistle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Really wasn't that quick. They were hacking the hell out of Anderson even after the whistle blew and then the puck came out IMO.
Quote:
The puck was loose and technically the whistle shouldn't have blown. But lucky for us the ref lost sight of the puck and he had to blow the whistle.

Watch the replay. I know the shot was after the whistle. It's nice to see us get a lucky call once in awhile.
The whistle blew and Andy stopped playing. The puck probably wouldn't have gone in if he wasn't trying to get up.

That's it.

Old
12-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Thanks for the explainations, I had no idea why they waived that off as I was at the other blue line. Was obviously very glad.

Enjoyed the game, got to see it live with my wife, sister, and brother-in-law. Got together with the Cowbell Club prior to the game at the talegate, great to see those guys. Picked up my cowbell, had the guys sign it, and had fun ringing it. Really enjoyed the game and the atmosphere.

Also picked up me "Forget the players, fear the fans" Panther sticker for Jerry, too.

12-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Haj

vCash: 50
That goal by Campbell was amazing. 4 crips clean passes while moving up ice.....Frolik made an amazing pass. I can't remember the last time the Panthers scored a goal like that.

Old
12-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
That goal by Campbell was amazing. 4 crips clean passes while moving up ice.....Frolik made an amazing pass. I can't remember the last time the Panthers scored a goal like that.
I was thinking the same thing. Great drop pass by Bouw and a great deke/backhand pass by Frolik. That was the best play he's probably made all season, including his goals.

Old
12-05-2008, 03:36 PM
johano90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Exactly...since we had a game in hand against Carolina, we BOTH played tonight, we still have a game in hand on Carolina lol.
Lol, yeah. I looked at NHL.com's standings right after our game had ended and since the 'Canes game had been over for awhile, they updated their game total but not ours. So at the time I checked, it said 2 games in hand...

Old
12-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

We are not going to trade Vokoun right now. Firstly, Andy can get injured at any time and then what? Everyone here knows this team relies on strong goaltending to win. As Zero said, we don't even have anyone else in the system right now who can be a good NHL backup. And we're not going to get a like goalie in return for Vokoun if we want a top 6 forward also.

Andy's playing great right now and I love him and I hope he keeps it up, but he's still unproven over a long period of time. We can't trade Vokoun right now, that would not be smart at all. We already know what Vokoun is as a #1 guy, a top 10-15 goalie in the NHL. We don't know what Anderson is like as the #1 guy. If he keeps getting a lot of games and keeps this level of play up for another 2-3 months, then we can consider trading him, obviously if we've already re-signed Anderson. Still way too early though. We don't "need" to make any trades right now anyway. Especially considering we can inject Stillman, Booth, and Horton back into the lineup soon.

Old
12-05-2008, 10:34 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
The finish impressed me more than anything...when do we ever finish a play off like that

Old
12-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Yeah, Frolik's pass was just disgusting, but what shocked me the most about his game last night was how physical he was. At one point in the 2nd, I think a shift or two before the Campbell goal, I saw a Panther charging all the way from the other side of the rink to make a big hit on a Sabre along the boards. At first I thought it was Tarnasky because the guy was a lefty and he's the most likely candidate to do something like that. He just had that aggression in his stride and you could tell he was determined to get there and finish his check. Then I saw the back of the jersey and saw Frolik's name. I honestly was in shock for a couple seconds.

He's been picking up the physical play as of late, but last night he just took it to another level. Forget about him being physically intimidated by NHLers anymore, now HE'S the one dishing out the hits. This is a complete 180 from how he reacted to physical play in the Q. He used to shy away from physical play it seemed like whenever he could avoid it, and very rarely made anything resembling a check. AND THIS IS IN THE Q, A SOFTIE'S DREAM LEAGUE. It's so nice to see him throwing checks in the NHL and to see how well he has adapted to this part of the game already. He looks like a pretty complete NHler already, the leap this kid has made in the last couple weeks is astonishing.

Closed Thread