HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Zetterberg vs Datsyuk vs Hossa

View Poll Results: Who's better?
Zetterberg 42 37.17%
Datsyuk 37 32.74%
Hossa 25 22.12%
They're about the same 9 7.96%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Riffo*

vCash: 500
1.Datsyuk
2.Hossa
Distant 3rd. Zetterberg

Riffo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 07:37 PM
tony d
The man

Henrik Zetterberg

tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 09:42 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
As for Datsyuk, I honestly think he needs Zetterberg more than Zetterberg needs him.
Couldn't disagree more. When the two were split up last season, who was Detroit's #1 line? The line with Datsyuk on it. Whether he was playing with Filppula(who suddenly started putting the puck in the net), Homlstrom, or Cleary, Datsyuk's line was simply put Detroit's best line.

Whenever Zetterberg was out with an injury the past two seasons, who took over the team? Datsyuk did. Whether that was 2 seasons ago when Zetterberg missed the end of the season or last season when Zetterberg missed a chunk of games.

When Detroit's entire defense was injured last season, who continued to play at a highest level? Datsyuk.

Zetterberg's a great, great player, but when he plays with Datsyuk, his offensive game goes to another level.

Quote:
I'm not sure whats up with Datsyuk - maybe an injury - but he hasnt been dangling as much and overall hasnt been as effective as the other two. In fact, I can think of two games where Datsyuk has been downright awful defensively (one being against Pittsburgh) and to be honest, I dont think Ive ever seen Datsyuk look as..undatsyukian...as he has this year.
The defensive effort that you talk about against Pittsburgh is laughably overblown. Yes, Datsyuk had the puck stripped on the OT goal, but Datsyuk made about 3 brilliant plays defensively that game.

What's been wrong with Datsyuk is he's been too passive playing with Hossa. To put it into simple terms, he went through a stretch of attempting to allow Hossa to play the game at Hossa's tempo. Datsyuk and Hossa play two totally different types of games. Datsyuk is a player who will slow the game down and basically control the game by controlling the puck. Hossa is a player who tries to speed up the game to create offense. Everything Hossa does is at a very fast pace - which is why sometimes he looks like he's almost out of control out there. The two styles don't necessarily mesh well all of the time.

What i've noticed the past 3 games however is that Datsyuk is finally looking to carry the play at his tempo again.

Also keep in mind that the first 5-10 games this season, Datsyuk was without question Detroit's best forward. Go back and look at the game threads from the opening weeks. It's not like Datsyuk has seemed off all season.

He started the season very strong. Once Hossa got going Datsyuk seemed to lay back and let Hossa play his style. The past 3 games Datsyuk is starting to look aggressive again.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 06:14 AM
Montreal Shadow

Right now? It's Hossa. Overall, tough call, I'd say Datsyuk.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Henrik Ze..

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 03:30 PM
AK

Hossa
Datsyuk
Zetterberg

And I hate Hossa's guts.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 03:35 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Give me Datsyuk 11/10 times

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
As for Datsyuk, I honestly think he needs Zetterberg more than Zetterberg needs him. I'm not sure whats up with Datsyuk - maybe an injury - but he hasnt been dangling as much and overall hasnt been as effective as the other two. In fact, I can think of two games where Datsyuk has been downright awful defensively (one being against Pittsburgh) and to be honest, I dont think Ive ever seen Datsyuk look as..undatsyukian...as he has this year.
I think Datsyuk lets Hossa dictate the play on the line a little too much. Hossa is a power winger, and he goes through people, and it puts Datsyuk in an odd position where he's more of a peripheral pure playmaker. I honestly think that they don't have the best chemistry.

imo, Hossa plays his game like Kovalchuk. You can put him out there with nobodies, and he'll take the puck in and score all by himself. He needs guys to work along the boards and get him the puck, but mostly just stay out of the way.

I think Franzen/Filppula/Hossa would be a MUCH better line, and then you reunite ZDH. Everybody would be playing their game. Datsyuk and Zetterberg play so much better together because their styles are so similar. They know what the other guy is thinking because they're thinking it too.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Blackfader*

Pens fan saying

Datsyuk

Zetterberg
Hossa

Close but the selke tilts it in Dats favor. And i agree that Z probably needs Dats more then the other way around.

Blackfader* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 03:20 AM
AgentNaslund*

Hossa for me.

Vancouver have more problems trying to shadow him then with Datsyuik or Zetterberg.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 03:25 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

As a Pens fan I'd take Zetterberg on my team, thinking about it only for a short time.

More of a matchwinner than Datsyuk and more versatile than Hossa. Can carry a line and can be the sniper on one too. Excellent defense to go with it.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:37 AM
pouskin74*

datsuk

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Nordic*

Z had a kinda slow start to the season and struggled there for a bit, but the last few weeks he's overtaken Datsyuk - he's not his usual dominant self, don't think he's the best fit for fast flying Hossa.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Burnaby_Joe*

Zetterberg

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 09:50 AM
ArGarBarGar
Doc Messier

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
That's kind of odd to me.

I mean, in response to a recent post of mine in which i stated that Hossa was the 3rd best forward on Detroit, you replyed:

Now, with that type of response, one would think that you would have a pretty strong opinion on this subject. At least something with a little more substance than "i can't choose."
Are you stalking me or something?

Hossa has been playing the best in the beginning of this season. So? Doesn't mean that over many years he is the best of the three.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Impressionist

vCash: 3102
They are all very close in terms of skill levels but I have to go with Zetterberg.

Impressionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 03:26 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday View Post
Are you stalking me or something?
Get over yourself. Who are you, Paula Abdul?

The bottom line is that when you post a reply directly at a poster such as myself the way you did, well, you better know what you're talking about and not be tip-toing the fence like you are.

Quote:
Hossa has been playing the best in the beginning of this season. So? Doesn't mean that over many years he is the best of the three.
Yet once again, when i stated that Hossa was the 3rd best forward on his own team in a topic that originally asked, "is Ryan Getzlaf the best forward in the West," you replyed:

Quote:
Watch the Wings.

Thank you and goodbye.
So is the previous thread, you decided to make a comment based on this year only, yet you come back in this thread with a totally different perspective, in which you just stated you're basing off of several years?

But once again, i expect nothing less from you, the poster who stated the line of Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Hossa sucks after a total of 3 shifts in 18 games.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Lindros_for_rizzle_

Datsyuk for real, I can´t see why it needs to be discussed.

Detroit is nothing without Datsyuk.

Detroit without Zetterberg: Replace him with your random Top 60 forward and you´re good.

Hossa is better than Zetterberg, but worse than Datsyuk.

Lindros_for_rizzle_ is offline   Reply With Quote