HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Other Metroplex Sports Talk (Pt. 1)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2009, 09:09 PM
  #251
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
The common theme is the Rangers either underestimated their own talent or overestimated others.

The baseball league looks at our office like the NHL looks at the Florida Panthers. They can sucker us into horrible moves.
This is very wrong. You brought up Soriano and McCarthy, including quoting me writing just how well thought of McCarthy was around MLB when he was traded. That alone should show how wrong your reply was.

Soriano is a bit different. MLB execs loved him and thought he was an outstanding hitter, and he was. The problem was he was a terrible second baseman and refused to change positions. He was coming up on an arbitration hearing with thoughts he would have been awarded in excess of $12 million per season, then and now a massive arbitration settlement (Ryan Howard's $10 million given last season was the most ever). Soriano was poison in that sense, and there were serious questions as to his exact age, questions that still linger today.

What JD received for Soriano from Montreal was more than any other team was willing to offer. If that wasn't enough for what you wanted, so be it, but to conclude the Rangers undervalued their own talent in this case is simply wrong. Soriano was valued by the Rangers and Nationals what he was worth, if not over what he was worth given the lack of other offers on the table.

Care to argue Galaraga? Others who parrot the same talking points you have do, yet fail to acknowledge 28 teams passed him over too, meaning 29 MLB teams fail to recognize talent, or so the same logic applied above goes.

Chad_ is offline  
Old
04-20-2009, 10:17 PM
  #252
piqued
Registered User
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 32,014
vCash: 3722
I'm not a JD basher by any stretch and I considered the Galarraga DFA a mistake when it happened. He definitely showed promise during September call-ups, arguably as much as Volquez (not stuff wise, but results).

Also your characterization of McCarthy and Danks seems a little off. McCarthy was considered more major league ready, not necessarily a better long-term prospect. He certainly wasn't thought of in glowing terms by his own organization; I remember Ken Williams giving some underwhelming quotes at the time.

piqued is offline  
Old
04-20-2009, 10:33 PM
  #253
Caseman
Registered User
 
Caseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
This is very wrong. You brought up Soriano and McCarthy, including quoting me writing just how well thought of McCarthy was around MLB when he was traded. That alone should show how wrong your reply was.

Soriano is a bit different. MLB execs loved him and thought he was an outstanding hitter, and he was. The problem was he was a terrible second baseman and refused to change positions. He was coming up on an arbitration hearing with thoughts he would have been awarded in excess of $12 million per season, then and now a massive arbitration settlement (Ryan Howard's $10 million given last season was the most ever). Soriano was poison in that sense, and there were serious questions as to his exact age, questions that still linger today.

What JD received for Soriano from Montreal was more than any other team was willing to offer. If that wasn't enough for what you wanted, so be it, but to conclude the Rangers undervalued their own talent in this case is simply wrong. Soriano was valued by the Rangers and Nationals what he was worth, if not over what he was worth given the lack of other offers on the table.

Care to argue Galaraga? Others who parrot the same talking points you have do, yet fail to acknowledge 28 teams passed him over too, meaning 29 MLB teams fail to recognize talent, or so the same logic applied above goes.
So you are honestly going to defend these moves by JD? I don't care if the whole league places no value on a player. It is the Rangers job to know their prospects' potential and ability. Releasing a young prospect like Galaraga for an aging Jennings is a horrible miscalculation.

Like I said earlier, I'm no expert. But I do listen to people like Norm Hitzges, who gives fair criticism for these blunders.

Caseman is offline  
Old
04-20-2009, 10:45 PM
  #254
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
I'm not a JD basher by any stretch and I considered the Galarraga DFA a mistake when it happened. He definitely showed promise during September call-ups, arguably as much as Volquez (not stuff wise, but results).

Also your characterization of McCarthy and Danks seems a little off. McCarthy was considered more major league ready, not necessarily a better long-term prospect. He certainly wasn't thought of in glowing terms by his own organization; I remember Ken Williams giving some underwhelming quotes at the time.
In hindsight, the DFA of Galaraga was a mistake. In hindsight, 28 other teams not expressing any interest in Galaraga was a mistake too. That's the beauty of hindsight. It'd be nice to have that luxury when a trade is consummated.

At the time of the McCarthy-Danks trade, McCarthy was clearly the better prospect of the two based upon McCarthy already having his feet wet in the Majors and Danks still in AA. McCarthy's ceiling was that of a two, whereas because Danks was still in AA and seen at least a year away from the chance at making any impact in the big leagues, McCarthy was the better of the two. Obviously we've seen how that has panned out, but also note McCarthy was a much more sought out commodity across the league than Danks.

Chad_ is offline  
Old
04-20-2009, 10:50 PM
  #255
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
So you are honestly going to defend these moves by JD? I don't care if the whole league places no value on a player. It is the Rangers job to know their prospects' potential and ability. Releasing a young prospect like Galaraga for an aging Jennings is a horrible miscalculation.

Like I said earlier, I'm no expert. But I do listen to people like Norm Hitzges, who gives fair criticism for these blunders.
Heh. That's your problem then. You listen to Hitzges who, despite your words to the contrary, hardly gives fair criticism of anything related to the Rangers. His business is to air opinions and create controversy over those opinions.

You should care what value a player has to other teams in the league when trying to assess a trade. If a player has zero or minimal value, a team cannot get much for him. There was only one team interested in Galaraga and he would have been claimed off waivers if there wasn't a trade made. Scouts from 29 teams thought so little of him that he didn't have a spot on a roster, and that should tell you a great deal about a few things, including how fragile MLB scouting actually is. It should also tell you there are certain players who just don't click until they are in their own ideal situations.

Chad_ is offline  
Old
04-20-2009, 10:58 PM
  #256
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Heh. That's your problem then. You listen to Hitzges who, despite your words to the contrary, hardly gives fair criticism of anything related to the Rangers. His business is to air opinions and create controversy over those opinions.

You should care what value a player has to other teams in the league when trying to assess a trade. If a player has zero or minimal value, a team cannot get much for him. There was only one team interested in Galaraga and he would have been claimed off waivers if there wasn't a trade made. Scouts from 29 teams thought so little of him that he didn't have a spot on a roster, and that should tell you a great deal about a few things, including how fragile MLB scouting actually is. It should also tell you there are certain players who just don't click until they are in their own ideal situations.
You know he was the TV broadcaster for the Rangers during the 96-99 season right. He was also inducted into the Texas Baseball HOF. So he knows his **** when it comes to Rangers.

Sony Eriksson* is offline  
Old
04-21-2009, 12:08 AM
  #257
theheadmata
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
You know he was the TV broadcaster for the Rangers during the 96-99 season right. He was also inducted into the Texas Baseball HOF. So he knows his **** when it comes to Rangers.
That doesn't necessarily mean that he speaks with a fair mind when on the radio. Ratings, ratings, ratings.

theheadmata is offline  
Old
04-21-2009, 01:05 AM
  #258
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
You know he was the TV broadcaster for the Rangers during the 96-99 season right. He was also inducted into the Texas Baseball HOF. So he knows his **** when it comes to Rangers.
Yeah, I am aware of his previous position within the Rangers organization, but I am also aware that was one decade ago and many things have changed since.

As to whether he "knows his **** when it comes to the Rangers," it's interesting in retrospect he didn't think the Rangers should have traded Teixeira, whom everyone who paid any attention knew wouldn't re-sign with the Rangers. He didn't think the club should rebuild back in 2001 and backed the firing of Melvin for suggesting so. He believed John Hart was the perfect successor to Doug Melvin. He thought the Chan Ho Park signing was a coup for the club even given Park's dreadful numbers outside the friendly confines of Dodger Stadium. He believes Daniels has never made a good trade and, mainly because of his age (read anything Hitzges ever writes on JD and age or a reference to JD's age is always cited), is in way over his head.* He also believes, much like Caseman which is why it should have been obvious to me before he listened to Hitzges, other GMs froth at the mouth to deal with the Rangers despite numerous reports this past winter that very few GMs wanted to deal with JD because his asking price for his players was too high.

All are wrong opinions and afar from what one could argue is simply a difference in opinion. So Hitzges may have once "[known] his ****" regarding the Rangers, that knowledge must have escaped him at minimum eight years ago.

*I should note that it's not his dislike of Daniels which is wrong, to each their own, yet it's his refusal to note whatever good Daniels has done in any meaningful way.

Chad_ is offline  
Old
04-23-2009, 07:50 PM
  #259
piqued
Registered User
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 32,014
vCash: 3722
I suggest tuning into the Rangers game right now just to catch Chris Davis' mustache. He's homered, too.

piqued is offline  
Old
04-23-2009, 07:54 PM
  #260
theheadmata
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Not enough handlebar mustaches in baseball these days, big props to Davis.

theheadmata is offline  
Old
04-23-2009, 09:53 PM
  #261
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus
 
DaStars99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,166
vCash: 500
Mavs win game 3, 88-67, lead series 2-1

DaStars99 is offline  
Old
04-24-2009, 10:12 PM
  #262
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,292
vCash: 500
ESPN is reporting Arizona has lowered their asking price for Anquan Boldin from a 1st and 3rd round pick to a 2nd round pick and other considerations.

Should Jerry Jones jump in on this? It seems like a "Jerry" move, and I don't necessarily think it would be the wrong thing. Plus, the biggest thing would be keeping him away from the Giants and Eagles.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
04-24-2009, 10:23 PM
  #263
piqued
Registered User
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 32,014
vCash: 3722
No, since Austin ended up signing.

piqued is offline  
Old
04-24-2009, 10:27 PM
  #264
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,292
vCash: 500
Some people are saying the other Arizona wants is a player. Maybe Patick Crayton or Bobby Carpenter would work. Plus Dallas could still trade into the 2nd round.

I didn't check this against the draft pick value chart, but this is from a Dallas Cowboys forum:


Quote:
Trade

69th(3rd)
101st(4th)
172nd(5th)
197th(6th)
208th or 210th either one.(both 7th rounder’s)

Acquire

51st from Cleveland

Cowboys would be left with....

50th(2nd)
51st(2nd)
117th(4th)
156th(5th)
166th(5th)
208th or 210th(7th's)
227th(7th)

BigG44 is offline  
Old
04-24-2009, 10:31 PM
  #265
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
No, since Austin ended up signing.
I wouldn't say Austin signing a tender should have an impact on getting a guy like Boldin. I really like Austin, but he has 18 career catches and increased responsibility ended up sidelining him with nagging injuries the majority of the season.

Besides, as long as he stays healthy, he still should touch the ball quite a bit as the deep threat with or without Boldin.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
04-24-2009, 10:45 PM
  #266
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,292
vCash: 500
Oh yeah, the reason that guy from the Cowboys forum went with Cleveland was:

1) The trade history they obviously have with the Cowboys.

2) They only have 5 picks (1st, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 6th).

Regardless of a Boldin trade, I don't think it would be a bad idea. Personally, I kind of fell in love with William Moore (Mizzou) in 2007. I hope he falls and Dallas picks him. The second 2nd round pick could go OL or WR.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
04-24-2009, 10:51 PM
  #267
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,292
vCash: 500
I guess that's a good question, who would you like to see Dallas pick?

William Moore:

Quote:
Positives: Well-built athlete with a prototypical blend of size, speed and instincts. … Fast and agile enough to be a true centerfielder in coverage, as well as possessing the explosiveness to be an intimidating hitter over the middle. … Reliable open-field tackler -- has rare body control to break down in space and make the reliable tackle. … Reads the quarterback's eyes and can close on the ball. … Led the Big 12 and broke the school single-season record with eight interceptions in 2007. … Has a history of turning INTs into TDs, with four of his 11 career picks returned for scores. … Showed his toughness by playing through a torn labrum for much of the 2007 season. … Experienced at both safety positions. … Dynamic athlete who should improve as he gains more experience.

Negatives: Flashes explosiveness as a hitter, but is too inconsistent in this area. … Leads with his shoulder to create the sensational hit, but doesn't wrap up effectively. … Too often resorts to shoestring tackles that were effective at the college level, but could be high-stepped through by better athletes. … Dynamic athlete whose aggression and inexperience can get him in trouble while in coverage. … Willing to gamble and can be beaten over the top with an effective double-move. … Was not the same player in 2008 that flashed in 2007, prompting some concerns that he could be a bit of a one-year wonder. … Sat out spring drills recovering from surgery to repair a torn labrum.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
04-25-2009, 12:35 AM
  #268
Caseman
Registered User
 
Caseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Some people are saying the other Arizona wants is a player. Maybe Patick Crayton or Bobby Carpenter would work. Plus Dallas could still trade into the 2nd round.
Who would want Bobby Carpenter? I hope that was just hilarious sports comedy.

Caseman is offline  
Old
04-25-2009, 07:41 AM
  #269
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
Who would want Bobby Carpenter? I hope that was just hilarious sports comedy.
Who wouldn't want Barbie?

It's Draft Day!!!


BigG44 is offline  
Old
04-25-2009, 09:10 AM
  #270
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
It's Draft Day!!!

Historically one of my favorite days of the year, except the NFL moved the draft to later in the day and into the night a year or so ago. Then there's the fact the Cowboys traded away their number one pick and the Jones', mere months away from opening a $1 billion new stadium, are claiming the team is better off without a first rounder due to the cost towards the salary cap.

There's just one player whom I care when is drafted this year, and he should end up in Seattle, so there's little actual anticipation. Thanks, Jerry.

Chad_ is offline  
Old
04-25-2009, 09:29 AM
  #271
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Historically one of my favorite days of the year, except the NFL moved the draft to later in the day and into the night a year or so ago. Then there's the fact the Cowboys traded away their number one pick and the Jones', mere months away from opening a $1 billion new stadium, are claiming the team is better off without a first rounder due to the cost towards the salary cap.

There's just one player whom I care when is drafted this year, and he should end up in Seattle, so there's little actual anticipation. Thanks, Jerry.
I'm still pumped. I'm not convinced Seattle will take Sanchez, and that could create some interesting posturing early on.

Whoo!! Draft Day!!!

Plus, 3 Dallas products are going in at least the Top 10. 2 of them should go 1-2.

Whoo!! Draft Day!!!

Plus, Boldin, Edwards, and Quinn could end up on new teams today.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
04-25-2009, 11:24 AM
  #272
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,292
vCash: 500
NFL Network Rumor: Jets and Jaguars have a deal in place for the 8th overall pick if the player the Jets are targeting falls to that pick.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
04-25-2009, 11:27 AM
  #273
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I'm still pumped. I'm not convinced Seattle will take Sanchez, and that could create some interesting posturing early on.
I doubt they will, nor should they. Sanchez is enjoying the hype of USC QBs past, which naturally is completely overblown. Crabtree is the most NFL ready prospect in this draft and he shouldn't get past Seattle.

Chad_ is offline  
Old
04-25-2009, 11:34 AM
  #274
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
I doubt they will, nor should they. Sanchez is enjoying the hype of USC QBs past, which naturally is completely overblown. Crabtree is the most NFL ready prospect in this draft and he shouldn't get past Seattle.
Oh OK. All the talk lately has been about Sanchez and Seattle so that is who I thought you were talking about. I don't think Sanchez will fall very fall, but it was cruel of the NFL to invite Josh Freeman to the Draft. They're just looking for another player to fall on national TV.

They've been replaying the Rogers and Quinn fall on the NFL Network.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
04-25-2009, 11:47 AM
  #275
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Oh OK. All the talk lately has been about Sanchez and Seattle so that is who I thought you were talking about. I don't think Sanchez will fall very fall, but it was cruel of the NFL to invite Josh Freeman to the Draft. They're just looking for another player to fall on national TV.

They've been replaying the Rogers and Quinn fall on the NFL Network.
I agree that Sanchez won't fall too far (7-8). He has been enjoying the hype of being from USC, and for whatever reason the NFL talking heads haven't figured out there hasn't been a star QB from USC since, well, never. They all look good coming out of college, even Todd Marinovic, but there's always something wrong with them. Put Sanchez in a Iowa State jersey, for example, and he's a mid-round pick at best.

I can't see Freeman taken before the third round, and I like him as a player. He should have stayed in college and enjoyed a year under Bill Snyder though. Davis out of Ball State intrigues me too, and I'd love to see the Cowboys take a flyer on him with one of the team's three fifth round selections.

But as we both know, the Cowboys will take a TE with their second round pick, three OL that won't ever see the field, two RBs, two LBs, two DTs and a DE. There won't be a WR to be found for the Cowboys, even though there are always good prospects from small schools to be had in the middle rounds.

Chad_ is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.