Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2009, 01:11 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
According to Adam Schefter from the NFL Network, the cap is going up $4 million more dollars before tomorrow.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/25/sala...ding-for-2009/

According to Calvin Watkins, Dallas had $10 million in cap space before this news.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...ee-agency.html

I don't know if Watkins’ numbers included the 4 RFA tenders. If anything, maybe they can still sign Chris Canty.
I really like Canty. I like what he and Ratliff bring to the Cowboys. If the Cowboys could get a legit noseguard and move Ratliff back to where he should be he would be ever more effective. 7.5 sacks for a noseguard is amazing, lets see what he could do where he is the most comfortable

Old
02-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Chad_

I saw the Cooley comments earlier, but that's just Cooley. He's always been known to pop off at the mouth.

Re: Cap
They're going to cut Johnson and they're going to cut Roy Williams (S). That'll save nearly $5 million, I believe. Ware will get a new mega-contract which will eat into the ~$15 million under and since the Cowboys don't have a first round pick, they'll be able to go get a decent player on the open market.

Old
02-26-2009, 01:30 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
I really like Canty. I like what he and Ratliff bring to the Cowboys. If the Cowboys could get a legit noseguard and move Ratliff back to where he should be he would be ever more effective. 7.5 sacks for a noseguard is amazing, lets see what he could do where he is the most comfortable
I think Ratliff is more comfortable at NT. Remember last year in the preseason; he didn't want to move to DE when they were playing around with him there.

What about getting rid of Spears? I believe the DMN said Bowen could play nose. If not, leave Ratliff alone at nose and roll the dice with Hatcher, Bowen, and Dixon taking over for Spears.

Old
02-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Chad_

The problem with cutting Spears is that DE in a 3-4 is one of the toughest positions to fill. While Spears isn't an All-Pro or anything, he's adequate in filling that role. He's a big body that can and regularly does occupy two OL-men, allowing one of Ellis or Spencer to get into the backfield. No, he doesn't help Ware since Ware is often double teamed anyways, altering the offense's plans every play.

Yeah, Canty was good, but the money he's allegedly wanting is just too much. With the holes created and the obvious need for a SS, DE and ILB, it makes me hate the trade for Roy Williams (WR) even more.

Old
02-26-2009, 01:43 PM
BigG44

Spears was a stupid suggestion. He makes under $1,000,000 in salary. I couldn't find his signing bonus though.

Roy Williams has a $6.62 million cap hit this year (his deal included an $11.1 million signing bonus). I'm not 100% sure how it works in the NFL, but if they cut him I think Dallas would only save $2.18 million ($6.62 million - $4.4 million salary + $2.22 Signing Bonus in 2010 = $4.44 Total cap charge in 2009).

If that is the way cap hit is figured out for players cut from the team, Johnson getting cut would give the Cowboys $1.5 million in cap space.

Williams said he would restructure his deal. Maybe that would be a better option. They could still draft a safety who could have a year to get ready for starting duty.

Old
02-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Chad_

Cutting Williams (S) won't save his full cap hit, from what I understand, and the ~$2 million figure you cite is accurate. He's also stated several times he's not a good fit in a 3-4. Of course he doesn't mention he's not a good fit in a 4-3 or a Cover 2 either.

The Cowboys should just cut him, not necessarily due to the cap, but rather because JJ needs to finally figure out the team needs a legitimate SS. They could move Hamlin to SS and Henry to FS now that they've got CB depth, or they could do what fans have been clamoring for a few years now and draft a SS.

There have been rumors Parcells wants Carpenter, and while trading him won't exactly open up cap space, or much, Carpenter is currently paid too much to be a special teams player. It doesn't seem like he'd get the chance to compete for the ILB opening either.

Old
02-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Chad_

On the Rangers front, who is primed for a breakout year? My pick is a finally healthy, and more robust, Brandon McCarthy.

Old
02-26-2009, 01:56 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Taylor Teagarden, but I expect Ian Kinsler to become a bona fide star

Old
02-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Chad_

ESPN is reporting the Cowboys cut Brad Johnson and are pursuing trades for Roy Williams (S). I'm not sure if there is a story on ESPN.com as I saw it on ESPN while at the gym. Either way, I cannot imagine there's a market for Williams seeing as how he's coming off an injury and performed poorly prior to it. Besides, he'll be waived anyways so he could be acquired for free.

Old
02-26-2009, 05:34 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
On the Rangers front, who is primed for a breakout year? My pick is a finally healthy, and more robust, Brandon McCarthy.
I'll go with Salty and Holland.

Andrus will probably take a year to really get going.

Yeah I'll be shocked also if RW1 is worth anything on the trade market. Good news on Johnson, it was obvious even last summer that he was done.

Old
02-26-2009, 10:45 PM
BigG44

Rex Grossman wants to be Tony Romo's backup. He doesn't care that he wouldn't be competing for a starting job.

Quote:
"I would not be able to compete for the starting job there," Grossman told Sirius this afternoon. "My role would be to come in and back up. And if something were to happen to Tony there's no better offensive situation to be in in the league."

Nothing has transpired as yet between Grossman's agent and the Cowboys.

"They've got all the talent at running back, tight end, wide receiver, offensive line, coordinator. They've got everything in place that you'd want. Good weather, new stadium. I'm sure they are going to cover it if it is windy or cold. So that would be the ideal situation to back up. There may be a few others, I'm not sure, but that would be intriguing if I'm in a situation where I have to back up."
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...e-on-down.html

Old
02-26-2009, 10:48 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Roy Williams has a $6.62 million cap hit this year (his deal included an $11.1 million signing bonus). I'm not 100% sure how it works in the NFL, but if they cut him I think Dallas would only save $2.18 million ($6.62 million - $4.4 million salary + $2.22 Signing Bonus in 2010 = $4.44 Total cap charge in 2009).
I guess I knew more about the NFL cap then I though:

Quote:
If the Cowboys release Williams they create $2.18 million on the salary cap. Should they keep Williams his cap number for 2009 is $6.62 million.
DMN is claiming Dallas is trying to trade him. I don't know if that means the full amount comes off or not. I assume it would, but I also assume no one would trade for him.

Old
02-28-2009, 07:28 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Jon Kitna to the Cowboys for Anthony Henry, I don't like the move but at least we now have a legit backup.
Hopefully the Kitna and Bradie James have mended there relationship

Old
02-28-2009, 10:03 PM
piqued

I love it. Anthony Henry is the bane of my existence. Literally everything he does is wrong. He's the Sydor of secondary play. The team is instantly better.

Old
02-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Chad_

I don't like it. Henry could have been traded for a pick if they wanted to lose him and they could have signed a backup. Kitna won't serve any real purpose on the team as he's not exactly a guy you want to fill in nor is he, reportedly, a guy that's high on mentoring others.

They also signed Keith Brooking (LB-Atl) to a three year deal. That's not a bad signing, pending the price and what the cap hit will be when the release him when he turns 35 (two years).

Old
03-01-2009, 09:25 PM
piqued

Good God, Chris Canty is worth 42 million over 6 years to the Giants? OK. Have fun.

Old
03-01-2009, 09:42 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

way overpaid

Old
03-04-2009, 11:10 PM
piqued

The off-season is officially a great success.

The Boys will win the Super Bowl next year, there is little doubt in my mind. (I'm being serious)

Old
03-04-2009, 11:22 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post

The Boys will win the Super Bowl next year, there is little doubt in my mind. (I'm being serious)
..... I don't know if I trust you. What's the angle?

The offense should be the best in the league, but I just hope they can get their act together.

The defense kind of scares me. Henry actually was OK last year. I believe Canty is a HUGE loss, and they've done nothing to replace him. They've also done nothing to address safety, and Keith Davis (special teams more than anything) is interviewing with Haley in Kansas.

Old
03-04-2009, 11:27 PM
piqued

Well obviously safety is the huge hole. Whether or not Keith Davis comes back doesn't really change that. I hate Henry even more than Turco so I'm not too broken up about that. They need to hit big in the draft. Maybe priorities like NT get pushed down a bit. You'd like to think there will be less pressure on the safeties in coverage if we can get a years worth of above-average corner play from Newman/Jenkins/Scandrick, which ought to be possible barring injury.

I just think you've got to remove the destructive personalities from the team. The talent is still there in spades. If they can just play like a team, look out.

And you can't let Pittsburgh sit up there on 6 Super Bowl wins. They must be matched.

Old
03-04-2009, 11:29 PM
BigG44

Quote:

OMG ..... why didn't you say T.O. had been cut?

Jesus, I'm actually shocked. That moves isn't anything like JJ.

I'm more concerned about the defense now. It seemed like they were all T.O. apologizers and helped keep the drama in the press longer. I hope they don't hold a grudge.

Old
03-04-2009, 11:34 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Well obviously safety is the huge hole. Whether or not Keith Davis comes back doesn't really change that. I hate Henry even more than Turco so I'm not too broken up about that. They need to hit big in the draft. Maybe priorities like NT get pushed down a bit. You'd like to think there will be less pressure on the safeties in coverage if we can get a years worth of above-average corner play from Newman/Jenkins/Scandrick, which ought to be possible barring injury.

I just think you've got to remove the destructive personalities from the team. The talent is still there in spades. If they can just play like a team, look out.

And you can't let Pittsburgh sit up there on 6 Super Bowl wins. They must be matched.
I don't trust Jenkins ever since he protected his investment by allowing a guy to walk in the endzone. He's going to turn into a D. Hall, Pacman, T.O. type personality I feel.

Scandrick on the other hand was amazing. I'm glad his college coach talked bad about him leaving early. The guy played lights out some games with a chip on his shoulder.

I hope he's the starter over Jenkins.

Old
03-04-2009, 11:37 PM
BigG44

So does this mean T.O. is on his way to KC to reunite with Haley?

OT: Hey great is that 3 recent Dallas assistants are head coaches now? They’ve even got talented coaching staffs that are underperforming ……

Old
03-04-2009, 11:38 PM
piqued

Isn't the plan for Scandrick to be the slot corner and Jenkins on the outside?

Old
03-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Chad_

Quote:
Isn't the plan for Scandrick to be the slot corner and Jenkins on the outside?
I've read the opposite, but I wouldn't be surprised if they use the money from T.O. to get a DB capable of starting.

Closed Thread