HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

LA - Atlanta

Old
12-05-2008, 01:00 AM
riseandfall9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCrown View Post
Take Havelid out, add Voynov and I think that is a fair trade. I wonder if ATL fans feel the same. Seem pretty similar to the Hossa trade with two roster players, a prospect and in this case two probably high draft picks. Especially if it gets down to the point where Kovalchuk refuses to sign an extension with ATL then will have to take their best offer. We would just need to be assure that Kovalchuk will sign a long term deal with us. There wont be that many teams able to take on his salary and Kovalchuk would have a great line to play with in Kopitar and Brown. Speed/Scoring on the left, Speed/Playmaker in the middle, Strenth on the right. Kovi-Kopi-Brown would take over a game......not many players of Kovalchuk's elite ability come along....go for it!!
How come Kings fans rather give up O`Sullivan instead of Frolov. We have O`Sullivan locked up for 3 years. And he`ll still be an RFA. Frolov may walk and possibly will walk because no matter how much us Kings fans like us he isnt a 6 million dollar player. You get into the same Cammalleri concept. If Frolov wasn't such a bargain at 2.9 cap hit i think people would be singing a different song really.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 01:23 AM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod1986 View Post
Whoever said a bunch of mediocre players doesn't get a deal done, do you remember the penguins getting marian hossa at all?

The only thing that really hurt us was the character that colby was in the locker room....

Armstrong,Christensen,Esposito and that first rd pick were all expendable.... we gave 2 mediocre players, one top prospect who we couldn't use at center down the line anyway, and a first round pick that didn't hurt us whatsoever and got the top guy out there in Hossa...

It's all about the right package....
Kovalchuk still has a year left on his contract, so it isn't comparable at all.

Sure... Christensen, Armstrong, Esposito, and a 1st isn't a lot compared to having Hossa, but they only got him for a playoff run and chance at a cup. Now that Pittsburgh failed at that, they lose all those assets without a cup ring.

The person hurt the most is Atlanta. They had Hossa as a long-term part of the team and only got back that package. Since they waited, teams were only going to pay as much as a couple months of him is worth.

That is precisely the reason Kovalchuk is on the block now as opposed to a year from now. Atlanta will likely not be a contender next year either (with Kovalchuk probably walking out for free agency), so they want to sell him when he still has a lot of value. The Thrashers can get a player who can be part of their core, while the other team can get a Kovalchuk for over a year with the potential of renewing his contract.

Norm MacDonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 04:21 AM
kmd mode

frolov, hickey, quick, and 1st in 09

kmd mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 07:16 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
The Kings are getting very close to that time, but if they were to make moves like this they would have to be serious contenders. Otherwise, I see them waiting for free agency. We also have Gaborik claiming he wants to come here, so if we make no major acquisitions before free agency time will tell if he is serious... The Kings are still developing and are flush with talent at all positions. For us to give up a significant portion of that for a superstar player, we need to seriously be able to convince Deano that we can not only make the playoffs, but perform in the playoffs... That and there is little sense that this deal goes through without Kovy signing an extension for the trade to take place. Deano would not blow assets for just a season and a half with him to lose him. There would have to be a 3-4+ year deal behind it.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 07:34 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
Also look at another statistic. Fewest shots allowed

trying watching a Kings game or 2
That's not helping your case. It's easier to keep a low GAA with less shots against.

kyle evs48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
That's not helping your case. It's easier to keep a low GAA with less shots against.
Of course.

Yet, it's quite difficult to have a SV % of over .900 when you only face 20-25 shots a game. You can only allow 2 goals per game.

You should know that before you start to ROFL...

Quote:
ROFL top 25 in GAA. That's because they split playing time. They both have save percentages of under .900%

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 07:42 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
That seems as logical as it can be. His comment was about Ersberg's SV%.

It's quite difficult to have a SV % of over .900 when you only face 20-25 shots a game. You can only allow 2 goals per game.
Ah save percentage. Meh.

Old
12-05-2008, 08:12 AM
GoKingsGo94

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
How come Kings fans rather give up O`Sullivan instead of Frolov. We have O`Sullivan locked up for 3 years. And he`ll still be an RFA. Frolov may walk and possibly will walk because no matter how much us Kings fans like us he isnt a 6 million dollar player. You get into the same Cammalleri concept. If Frolov wasn't such a bargain at 2.9 cap hit i think people would be singing a different song really.
I don't think we are giving up on Sully because I for one think he is an amazing player and a very soon fuutre 70-85pt player. But the reason I have been including him is because he has a lot of value and I hate to say it but with how he has been treated this year and still being treated poorly, he will sign elsewhere when his contract is up. A player with his skill should be on the top 2 lines but Terry seems to think Calder is a first line wing and Sully is a 4th line wing. I know if I was Sully I would want out of LA asap.

Not sure if that is why others are adding him but basically for me because he has high value but won't want to play in LA long term. Like a Cammy situation.

GoKingsGo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Captain Ron

When you have not one but two goalies who are giving up about 2 goals a game it should give your team a very good chance to win most of their games. What more would a "legit goalie" provide? A goals against average of 1? That is not just a legitimate goalie....that is a hall of fame goalie....and teams do not need hall of fame goalies to be able to be playoff contenders. In fact none of the previous 4 Stanley Cup winners have a goalie who will ever be close to getting into the hall of fame. So I reiterate that .....Right now goaltending is not a huge problem for LA.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 08:20 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
When you have not one but two goalies who are giving up about 2 goals a game it should give your team a very good chance to win most of their games. What more would a "legit goalie" provide? A goals against average of 1? That is not just a legitimate goalie....that is a hall of fame goalie....and teams do not need hall of fame goalies to be able to be playoff contenders. In fact none of the previous 4 Stanley Cup winners have a goalie who will ever be close to getting into the hall of fame. So I reiterate that .....Right now goaltending is not a huge problem for LA.
Then what is it? Because they're under .500

Old
12-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Capa*

ATL fan here.
Frolov
Hickey
1st
2nd

Probably gets it done NEXT YEAR lol...as for this year... you would have to offer the moon

Capa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 08:29 AM
GoKingsGo94

As a Kings fan goalie is one of the top priorities. Ersberg is a good back up not a starter and Labarbera flat out is horrible. Our defense has been a huge surprise and we still lose because our goalies give up lots of soft goals and our offense is flat our horrid this year. Kopitar and Brown are invisible and Sully is playing like an animal on lines with Ivanans?

Our goalies have a save % under 900. You put a real NHL goalie on our team only facing that many shots and they likely will have a save % of 950 and maybe even give some confidence in our offense and may have won us a few more games.

Neither of our goalies are NHL starters let alone carry any team in the playoffs. So yes goalie is a #1 priority still and a close 2nd now is getting a star player who can score.

Old
12-05-2008, 08:32 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGo94 View Post
As a Kings fan goalie is one of the top priorities. Ersberg is a good back up not a starter and Labarbera flat out is horrible. Our defense has been a huge surprise and we still lose because our goalies give up lots of soft goals and our offense is flat our horrid this year. Kopitar and Brown are invisible and Sully is playing like an animal on lines with Ivanans?

Our goalies have a save % under 900. You put a real NHL goalie on our team only facing that many shots and they likely will have a save % of 950 and maybe even give some confidence in our offense and may have won us a few more games.

Neither of our goalies are NHL starters let alone carry any team in the playoffs. So yes goalie is a #1 priority still and a close 2nd now is getting a star player who can score.
Perhaps this should be a Lehtonen thread rather than a Kovalchuk thread.

Old
12-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
As a Kings fan, we have TOO MANY goaltenders. Not only do we have Ersberg now, but we also have the highly touted Bernier ready to pounce on the #1 job next season, Quick, and also Zatkoff looking to make the roster as well... The Kings are losing games by a goal or two margin. What they need is to enhance their scoring. But the Kings have nice young offensive talent in every position so that can be accomplished with effective coaching. A superstar will be required (if one does not already develop in LA) on the wing sooner or later, but it isn't that time yet. The Kings don't need anything right now except maybe a coach that understands what he has to work with. He is still learning about our team in the dark without a flashlight.

Old
12-05-2008, 09:00 AM
bang bang

ATL takes it and run

bang bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Lack of offense, specifically a first line winger.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:06 AM
GoKingsGo94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Lack of offense, specifically a first line winger.
Lack of our whole first line. Our #1 pt guy on the team was #71 overall 3-4 days ago. Likely dropped even more now. So yes a lack of a star scorer but also Brown and Kopitar are completely invisible out there. Maybe Kovalchuck will light a fire under the whole team because he is a player who makes the players around him better.

Old
12-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
To me at least, the lack of an entire first line is entirely down to Brown and Kopitar not having a player with talent nearly equal to their own to play with. Frolov is certainly talented enough to play with them, but I don't think he would mesh very well.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
To me at least, the lack of an entire first line is entirely down to Brown and Kopitar not having a player with talent nearly equal to their own to play with. Frolov is certainly talented enough to play with them, but I don't think he would mesh very well.
I think Frolov would be perfect for that line. It is just that he is not a player with Ivanan's size and Lemieux's skillset Terry Murray would never allow a doghouse player to play on that line. He must have a defense first mentality. I think Murray tries Zeiler next. There should be a wager thread concerning the very topic of who replaces Calder next.

Old
12-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
I thought this would never happen, but the Kings can't seem to find the back of the net.

The Kings' scoring leader can be found somewhere on page 2. With a bit of luck there will be one 30-goal scorer at the end of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGo94 View Post
Our goalies have a save % under 900. You put a real NHL goalie on our team only facing that many shots and they likely will have a save % of 950..
yeah sure...

I agree neither Labs and probably Ersberg aren't quality NHL goaltenders but absoltely disagree that Ersberg is giving up LOTS of softies. That's laughable. Some people seem think there are goaltenders out there who allow quality goals only.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 04:23 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Kings just need to give their guys time to develop. It sucks, but it's the best road to take if you keep the future in priority.

Old
12-05-2008, 04:40 PM
MxK1NGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Kovalchuk

for

Frolov, Hickey and a 2nd
I like it....
pretty fair for both teams.
However I really do not think Kings need to make trades yet.
Everyone doing their job on the team so why make changes.
our core should be Kopitar, Brown, O'Sullivan, Frolov, Doughty, and
maybe Jack Johnson.

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I agree.....the Kings would probably have to offer at least one of their top players (Kopitar, Brown, Frolov, Johnson or Doughty) in order to make a trade like this.....no team is going to get one of the best players in the league by offering a bunch of 2nd and/or 3rd tier players.
I would disagree. Look at what San Jose gave up for Joe Thornton.

I like the proposal and would jump on it.

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 05:20 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehole93 View Post
I would disagree. Look at what San Jose gave up for Joe Thornton.

I like the proposal and would jump on it.
Boston hated Thornton. Atlanta does not hate Ilya. He's their team.

Old
12-05-2008, 05:40 PM
The mitchrock
Hunk of Monkey Love

From LA:
Deni Gauthier
Brad Richardson
Kingston
Brian Boyle
Tom Preissing