HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Canadiens dominate from start to finish, beat Rangers 6-2

Old
12-05-2008, 03:36 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAbbott View Post
Yup these two have made this defense more stable than it has been all year.

I guess it is an irrefutable fact now that Breezy + Dandy > O'byrne + Komi
Scary thought(even with the sarcasm smilies)!

Seriously it seems to have helped Dandy to play as forward for a while. Because he helps the forwards a lot and is not afraid to pinch in.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 04:50 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Next up for the Habs, the Devils on Saturday. So do we stick with the winning lineup or do we let one of the kids out of the doghouse to try and prove themselves again? Personally, I say we stick with the winning lineup. What's everyone else think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
The give and go, and give and go again between Koivu and A Kosts was sweet. I wish they scored there.
Blame that useless rookie for shooting the puck wide on that one

Not to worry though, Professor Snipe showed up with 50 seconds left. Can't wait to see more of those goals from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
and maybe the next captain
really i love the guy and he might be captain material....
I wonder, has Gorges ever been a captain of a team before?

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 06:17 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRo.O View Post
I'm not going to overlook something I thought was bad because of how we played.

For the record, I thought the team played extremely well, but I thought Brisebois was pretty bad.

The powerplay also was bad, but the Rangers have the #1 PK, so the BOTD is there.
To be honest Brisebois has been adequate the last couple of games. He's still out of position but not as often and although he doesn't play a tough game he's coming away with the puck on 50% of his scrums. For Brisebois that's fantastic. Trust me it hurts to say this. I'm one ofthose posters who cried when we resigned him but I still think for the play offs we need another dman. With Brisebois on our blueline we ain't going deep in the playoffs.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 06:26 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I gave him credit. Putting Komisarek behind the bench was a stroke of genius. Now by virtue of Komisarek seeing what Muller, Carbonneau and Jarvis have to do on a regular basis, him and the rest of the team have a new respect for the jobs that the coaching staff do, which has got them buying into the system and playing their game again.

I know Carbo made the final decision but wasn't it Melanson's idea to have Komi behind the bench?

Old
12-05-2008, 06:34 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I know Carbo made the final decision but wasn't it Melanson's idea to have Komi behind the bench?
Nope, it was Trevor Timmins.

Timmins > Gainey once again

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 06:44 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Nope, it was Trevor Timmins.

Timmins > Gainey once again
Well, staying on that topic, I was surprised to hear last night on CBC that at the draft it was a toss up bewteen Staal and Price, The Habs were split and couldn't make up their minds so Gainey gave the final word to Timmons. Man that shows a lotta respect for Timmons and it shows that Gainey is an excellent leader.

It also shows that Timmons loved Price. I'm glad because in that draft I think we got the best player after that nobody from Cole Harbour.

Old
12-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Well, staying on that topic, I was surprised to hear last night on CBC that at the draft it was a toss up bewteen Staal and Price, The Habs were split and couldn't make up their minds so Gainey gave the final word to Timmons. Man that shows a lotta respect for Timmons and it shows that Gainey is an excellent leader.

It also shows that Timmons loved Price. I'm glad because in that draft I think we got the best player after that nobody from Cole Harbour.
Oh, agreed 100%. It's also funny that it was the last straw for Savard, who thought it was a terrible pick.

However, history will tell who the better pick was between five guys: Crosby, Price, Kopitar, Staal and Johnson. One might be more talented than the other, but who brings the most to their Cup winning team is the real question that people will ponder (which is why while Hawerchuk was the clear number one in '81, the Oilers picking Fuhr was the win of the Draft).

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 07:30 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Oh, agreed 100%. It's also funny that it was the last straw for Savard, who thought it was a terrible pick.

However, history will tell who the better pick was between five guys: Crosby, Price, Kopitar, Staal and Johnson. One might be more talented than the other, but who brings the most to their Cup winning team is the real question that people will ponder (which is why while Hawerchuk was the clear number one in '81, the Oilers picking Fuhr was the win of the Draft).
But is there a band named after Grant Fuhr?

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Licou

The habs trapped the **** out of the Rangers and we won... I hope the team keeps that style of play. We have so much offensive firepower that we can afford to choke up the neutral zone and wait for turnovers.

And when all else fails, our transition game can also help us score on the rush, especially with the above average speed that most of our player has.

The habs have always been succesful with intense team defense, and I guess it won't change. Not playing a headless run and gun game doesn't mean the team won't score a bunch of goals.

I vote for the trap... it wins games...

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
great win, but, can we PLEASE stop writing off sergei, i think hes gonna be great and is still relativly decent when he plays, just bad luck lately

guillaume however, is in serious, serious trouble
Yeah... sergei= bad luck

But latendresse= OMG OLOLOL HE SUCKZOAR LOLOLOL

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 08:47 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Scary thought(even with the sarcasm smilies)!

Seriously it seems to have helped Dandy to play as forward for a while. Because he helps the forwards a lot and is not afraid to pinch in.
I've noticed this as well... Dandy playing D has honestly IMO been one of our turning points, simply because he pinches in alot more then Komi/O'Byrne did on the right side. The only D man we had on the right side that ever pinch's in is Gorges.

He hasn't been Norris-caliber, but he's played his best games as a Hab this season.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Jackson Ranger

Ranger fan here, coming in peace. Of course I'm not here to talk about the game because it was a very one sided game. The Canadiens definitely have the Rangers number.

I came here to talk about the pregame ceremonies. Very, VERY classy for the Montreal organization to bring back the stars from the past for both teams. I especially enjoyed the taped singing of the national anthems from Roger Doucet. For someone who's been watching since the mid 70's, it brought back a lot of good memories.

Good luck in the season (except against the Rangers ).

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Ranger fan here, coming in peace. Of course I'm not here to talk about the game because it was a very one sided game. The Canadiens definitely have the Rangers number.

I came here to talk about the pregame ceremonies. Very, VERY classy for the Montreal organization to bring back the stars from the past for both teams. I especially enjoyed the taped singing of the national anthems from Roger Doucet. For someone who's been watching since the mid 70's, it brought back a lot of good memories.

Good luck in the season (except against the Rangers ).
Thanks for the words. Great and classy ceremony for sure. I am old enough to have seen and liked Ron Greschner in the 80's so I was glad to see him again. But because I'm not that old....I'll always associate more Brad Park to the Bruins more than the Rangers....Would've been neat to see Mark Messier or other Rangers that were more related to your team around the 90's. But it was also nice to see the older guys that don't have the pleasure in seeing their work be recognized.

Kudos to your team who's definately better than what they were showing. I was impressed by Zherdev a lot yesterday. Good job getting him. Best of luck.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:17 AM
MastaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
He has led the team in ES icetime the last 4 games in a row. He continues to be amongst the leaders on the team in shorthanded icetime, and has seen some time on the 2nd unit of the PP. How is this not a big role?
All of this while Komisarek is injured..
The guy said MVP for the season (25 games) and not for the last 4 games...even though I think he played great this season, to call him a MVP is a bit much. He's probably my favorite defenceman because of his work ethic, but does that make him more valuable than Markov? Koivu, Tanguay, Kovalev up front? and Price? (well all of our "all-stars" )

I'm not sure. Maybe if he'd have a slightly better offensive touch (which he can still get better at...) he could be.

MastaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Basszor

It was a very nice game

Basszor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Thanks for the words. Great and classy ceremony for sure. I am old enough to have seen and liked Ron Greschner in the 80's so I was glad to see him again. But because I'm not that old....I'll always associate more Brad Park to the Bruins more than the Rangers....Would've been neat to see Mark Messier or other Rangers that were more related to your team around the 90's. But it was also nice to see the older guys that don't have the pleasure in seeing their work be recognized.

Kudos to your team who's definately better than what they were showing. I was impressed by Zherdev a lot yesterday. Good job getting him. Best of luck.
Are you calling me old?!

Seriously, I was thinking the same thing about Park and the trade. But it was nice to see him in action in a Ranger uniform. Gresch to me should have had his number retired as a Ranger. He went through a lot of health issues in his career and managed to come back and be a very productive player for the Rangers. The only problem is they didn't win the Cup (thanks for 1979 and 1986 BTW) which a black mark against him.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:39 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
The habs trapped the **** out of the Rangers and we won... I hope the team keeps that style of play. We have so much offensive firepower that we can afford to choke up the neutral zone and wait for turnovers.

And when all else fails, our transition game can also help us score on the rush, especially with the above average speed that most of our player has.

The habs have always been succesful with intense team defense, and I guess it won't change. Not playing a headless run and gun game doesn't mean the team won't score a bunch of goals.

I vote for the trap... it wins games...
Did we watch the same game? How did we "trap the **** out of them" when we spent practically the entire game in their zone?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:44 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceee View Post
When sergei is going to be back in the lineup, he is going to tear it up... He needed to be benched
A couple more games in the Press box for Sergei and Lats and both will fire up the lineup when they'll come back... I'm sure, not only Sergei.

Who will suffer?

Laraque?... but not against Bston or Philly...
Begin? Seems so, but now he's playing with passion, he can't be benched
Kostopoulos? Certainly not for the same reasons as Begin
Lapierre? Seems like the other candidate...

Higgins? Wild card but maybe...

Injury? I hope it would be one of the fourth liners...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:48 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Did we watch the same game? How did we "trap the **** out of them" when we spent practically the entire game in their zone?
When the Habs didn't have the puck, they trapped. This forced turned overs and dump ins. With the quick transition the players were able to set up in the offensive zone, thus seeming to always be on the offense.

Basically the trap is not a boring strategy when you have a really fast team, as it produces a lot of counter attacks.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:52 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
When the Habs didn't have the puck, they trapped. This forced turned overs and dump ins. With the quick transition the players were able to set up in the offensive zone, thus seeming to always be on the offense.

Basically the trap is not a boring strategy when you have a really fast team, as it produces a lot of counter attacks.
Well, the forecheck was much more important in this game than the trap.

The forwards were putting a lot of pressure on the defencemen instead of waiting "trap style" in the neutral zone.

It's a mixted style of trap and forecheck... every team does it... when they play with energy, they don't need to regroup and trap.

It was a fairly open game for what I expected... the habs players did a good job of getting the puck to the Rangers end while avoiding their trap.

As for the Rags defence, well, they were horrible last night.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
It's a mixted style of trap and forecheck... every team does it... when they play with energy, they don't need to regroup and trap.
Exactly.

It's impossible in a 60 minute game for a team to NEVER employ a 1-2-2 at some point in the game.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
As a loyal HF poster, I must highlight my fears that arise from tonight's game.

To begin with, and based purely on the stats from tonight, it would appear that the Habs will be ALLOWING OVER 100 MORE GOALS AGAINST this year on well over ONE THOUSAND SHOTS. Think about that. 1000+ shots against, each one of which probably resulting from two errors or slipups made, that's over TWO THOUSAND mistakes we will be making.

There is NO WAY the Habs will win the Cup making thousands of errors, just no way. We must demand changes AT ONCE.

Players who commit giveaways must be SAT OUT! Same with the guys who waste precious scoring chances by allowing their shots to hit the opposing goaltender. If the press box must be epxanded, so be it. Max Lapierre, Matt d'Agostini, Robert Lang, Alex Tanguay, Steve Begin and Andrei Kostitstyn all messed up at least one scoring opportunity tonight. NOT ACCEPTABLE!

The team's far from perfect performance is perfectly understandable, however, when we understand that the disaster starts with poor leadership from the captain. If this pace continues, Saku will not score another point for the balance of the season. He should be traded quickly before the other teams catch on! Ryan White can do the job cheaper, and I bet he could score at least one point if we called him up for good.

And what's with the penalties? Every simgle game, this undisciplined bunch commits fouls. Please stop that!

To sum up In a nutshell, tonight's game exposed many, many weaknesses, and I am quite worried the non-losing streak will eventualy be broken.

Post of the day there..

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Wow maybe i'm seeing things but I think we're really starting to "click" here. It may be just two games but i'm seeing electricity all over, especialy from the guys with need like Andrei Kost and so forth.

Also we got the first true good game by BGL, showing us so much magic with his hands living up to his surname of Laraque Obama.

Something i'm noticing more and more is that Andrei is making all his great plays...in the middle. Umm maybe we have our big, talented center right in our midst. I would really like for Guy to at least try him at that position.
Yes I totally agree. Andrei Kostitsyn is super-human, I don't know what his problem is, it was just a beastly performance tonight by him, especially on the point during the man advantage.

It's hard to really tell if we finally "righted the ship" that had trouble sailing in the first quarter of the season or if this was just a bad game by the NYR.. imo it's a bit of both.

Old
12-05-2008, 10:45 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Post of the day there..
You're The Man!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:

lolol, don't let anyone else read that last paragraph, esp the losers bashing Carey in the Polls.