HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DeBoer-"It's Anderson's Job"

Old
12-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
DeBoer-"It's Anderson's Job"

(Despite that disparity in their salaries, and the fact Vokoun was an All-Star and the team's most valuable player last season, DeBoer said it is Anderson's job for now.

"It would be tough I think if [Vokoun] hadn't handled it the way he has, but really money and salary don't play any part in my decision on who's going to play at any position," DeBoer said. "That factored into maybe the first 10, 12 games of the season when I was trying to give everybody a clean slate and an opportunity to show me what they can do.

"Now it's about winning games. I don't think anyone can argue with the performance we're getting in net by Craig.")

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...,1458982.story

(Pete DeBoer says it hasn't been hard choosing Anderson over Tomas Vokoun, praising the veteran for how he's handled this recent turn of events. And, DeBoer adds, he could care less that Vokoun is the second highest paid player on the bench, and that money never comes into who he gives playing time to.

Me thinks there are a few people in the Florida front office not too happy to be seeing $5-plus million sitting on the bench, though.)

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...e-to-andy.html

So the question is, if DeBoer thinks Anderson is the better goalie of the two, will JM pressure DeBoer to play Vokoun and give him the opportunity to win his job back when Anderson inevitably has the bad game that even the best goalies have now and then?

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
Too bad Vokoun has a NTC

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 07:23 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
And, DeBoer adds, he could care less that Vokoun is the second highest paid player on the bench, and that money never comes into who he gives playing time to.

Dear Nathan Horton,

Just in case you have trouble grasping subtleties..you may want to get your ass in gear.

Sincerely,

Peter DeBoer

Of course, I may be reaching here, but statements like the "money" one send clear messages that ice time will be earned by recent play, not salary, not popularity, etc.

Good for Pete...ride the hot goalie. And kudos to Vokoun, who seems to be taking all this very professionally. He's been around long enough to know that his turn to shine may be just around the bend.

I absolutely love this goalie tandem.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 07:37 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
I absolutely love this goalie tandem.
And I love that people here want to ship half of it away.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 07:48 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
And I love that people here want to ship half of it away.
Yeah...it really makes little sense to me.

The only reason I'd see to ship out Vokoun is if he became upset about the arrangement and demanded a trade.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:

The only reason I'd see to ship out Vokoun is if he became upset about the arrangement and demanded a trade.
The sense is the savings in money and cap space that could then be used to strengthen the team in other areas. I'm all for goalie tandems if they'll each making $2 mil but not one $5.75mil and the other $575,000. I say triple Andy's salary in a new contract, bring in another goalie with a like contract and use the almost $2 mil saved to help bring in some more scoring.

Old
12-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

Pretty much. I've wondered about T-Vo being moved for a player, but to me, you'd have to get a solid insurance plan in place before doing that.

12-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Pretty much. I've wondered about T-Vo being moved for a player, but to me, you'd have to get a solid insurance plan in place before doing that.
If Vokoun is traded, at least during this season, a goalie would have to come back as part of the package. A package of Bouw and Vokoun to Ottawa for Spezza and Gerber would make sense Cap wise for both teams and since Gerber becomes an UFA at the end of the season the Panthers would have the option of re-signing him at a lesser salary or letting him go and signing another UFA goalie in the $2 mil or less range if they so prefer.

Last edited by Georgia Panther: 12-05-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old
12-05-2008, 08:56 AM
RoadDoggFL

Quote:
If Vokoun is traded, at least during this season, a goalie would have to come back as part of the package. A package of Bouw and Vokoun to Ottawa for Spezza and Gerber would make sense Cap wise for both teams and since Gerber becomes an UFA at the end of the season the Panthers would have the option of re-signing him at a lesser salary or letting him go and signing another UFA goalie in the $2 mil or less range if they so prefer.
I don't see that as an upgrade at all...

Old
12-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
I don't see that as an upgrade at all...
It is if you think Anderson is your 1a goalie in your tandem and you can't re-sign Bouw as Spezza is signed for 7 years as your number one center.

Old
12-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
Spezza is a nice player, but I have a feeling he has some Horton in him. I'll pass. This team looks like what they should have looked like for the past couple years. Last night was a complete 60 minutes. We bent but never broke. I will eat crow on this b/c I have been advocating trading Bouwmeester. But after these past 7 games. He looks like he's breaking out. He looks superb, yea a few decisions not the best but his defense has stepped up and his getting more involved. I think someone is having more fun. After last night, I think I heard him yelling out on the ice numerous times and he was the loudest one. So I will recant. Martin for all that is holy Sign Bouwmeester. I see no problem with starting Anderson is Vokoun isn't getting it done. Vokoun knows why he is on the bench. He doesn't have a problem. We will need him guys. No trades should be suggested.

Bure1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
What I really hope is that Vokoun did what he did last year and comes back on fire after Anderson nearly stole his job. That's what is best for this team.

I'd be up for trading Vokoun if we were able to get a young backup with potential back (someone like Halak or Pavelec) and bolster our forward group.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:14 AM
RoadDoggFL

Quote:
It is if you think Anderson is your 1a goalie in your tandem and you can't re-sign Bouw as Spezza is signed for 7 years as your number one center.
We get another floater in Spezza and Gerber.

Gerber.

Ottawa fans would give him up for nothing, much less a proven All-Star.

Old
12-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Laus723
Future Now

A big, fat, hairy "NO" no Gerber, thanks. Like Rattrick said, I'd like to bring in Halak or someone like him, maybe even Nittymaki if Vokoun wants out. Otherwise, it's pointless. If Andy were to faulter, I don't trust Gerber to pick up the slack, he played well last season, but he's been beaten out of a job again.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:44 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
A big, fat, hairy "NO" no Gerber, thanks. Like Rattrick said, I'd like to bring in Halak or someone like him, maybe even Nittymaki if Vokoun wants out. Otherwise, it's pointless. If Andy were to faulter, I don't trust Gerber to pick up the slack, he played well last season, but he's been beaten out of a job again.
and that's the point. andy has never carried the load by himself and folks want to throw their trust in guys who are career backups at best, guys that might have a streak or two in them but probably can't carry a team all year long?

i hope andy has arrived as a starter. if he holds the job and continues to play great hockey, maybe JM could look at picking a more stable and less expensive 1b guy this offseason (and an asset or two for vokoun) but the talk about shipping vokie at this point is ... premature at best.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Bure1096

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
and that's the point. andy has never carried the load by himself and folks want to throw their trust in guys who are career backups at best, guys that might have a streak or two in them but probably can't carry a team all year long?

i hope andy has arrived as a starter. if he holds the job and continues to play great hockey, maybe JM could look at picking a more stable and less expensive 1b guy this offseason (and an asset or two for vokoun) but the talk about shipping vokie at this point is ... premature at best.
One example of the bold part: Brian Boucher

exactly

Old
12-05-2008, 10:55 AM
RoadDoggFL

People are also forgetting what a character guy Vokoun is, also. He's fully deserving of wearing a letter on his jersey, and Anderson attributes his great play to the relationship he and Vokoun share where they push each other to be better.

I don't want a guy like that to leave this team, and I can't stand all this scapegoating going on when very rarely does Vokoun let us down (after a year of hanging him out to dry we turn around and dump him off in favor of the guy he mentored?). Trading Vokoun (which may not even be possible) shouldn't even be an option this season unless a GM approaches JM with something he can't turn down.

Old
12-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
I think owners may pressure JM to either get Vokuon in the lineup or to move him. I am betting that Vokuon would consider waiving his NTC if JM asked him with the caveat that he'd be going to a team where he'd be the starter and the team is in the playoff picture.

That being said, how many teams are in that situation that dont already have a younger/cheaper/better goaltender as their starter already or doesnt already have their own problems with 2 expensive goalies (Chicago and Edmonton)? I'm having trouble thinking of more than a few...Philly, Ottawa, Colorado...and I think Philly is happy with their tandem who makes $1m less than Vokuon.

Both Ottawa and Colorado would make sense as they both have a 1b type of goaltender to include in a trade too (Gerber and Raycroft). At least right now I dont think anyone is interested in him...maybe closer to the deadline some starter gets injured and that changes things. So I just dont see much of a market for Vokuon this season...especially with several other teams looking to offload their high-priced goalies for less than what FL would want for Vokuon.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure1096 View Post
One example of the bold part: Brian Boucher

exactly
To contradict these points/example, Tim Thomas...the guy was a career AHLer and has done nothing but improve since winning the starting job in Boston. I could see the same type of trend with Anderson as Thomas since there are some obvious similarities between the 2 also.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Pringles

you are better off trading vokoun to the Avs or Kings

my guess - Vokoun for O'Sullivan + Labarbera

you shed some salary, get a top 6 centerman

Pringles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 11:19 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
While this team is winning games and scoring goals, we still need help up front. Vokoun could solve that problem. I would like to keep the 1a/1b tandem, but if we can got a top six center/forward for him, its something we should consider. As I said in the GDT post, I would rather keep Bouw and trade Vokoun if it was possible, as I think we take a bigger hit on defense than we would in goal. In the offseason, there are several goaltenders available that we could go after, Conklin, Valiquette, Roloson, etc. I say we stick with whats working right now, but an additional top six forward+ for Vokoun, Bouw and Andy signed long term, a backup and another forward in the offseason would put this team over the top IMO.

And yes, I might be crazy to think that Bouw will resign here in January. But who knows because the way they are playing now, it could happen. He seems to be enjoying himself on the ice, as is the whole team.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 11:24 AM
sinDer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
So I just dont see much of a market for Vokuon this season...especially with several other teams looking to offload their high-priced goalies for less than what FL would want for Vokuon.
True

And you can't trade Vokoun at the trade deadline. If we make the playoffs, it will be a good thing to have a good goalie tandem.

If Vokoun has to be traded, it will happen next summer. Vokoun could be traded for a top 6 forward and a good backup goalie. If JM can't get a goalie in return, he'll have the summer to make another trade or sign an UFA goalie.

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Bure1096

Vokoun should not be talked about in trades. Anderson will falter soon. I have my bets on the Bruins game. Anderson has played very well thus far, but in the past he hasn't shown he's capable of a full load. Tim Thomas is a long shot. I remember the Bruin fans saying they want to get rid of him or he's rubbish. But all of a sudden in the past year, they put a team on the ice that supports him. Anderson gave us a pulse. Vokoun will get things moving. Are we so blind to see that during around this time last year Vokoun was keeping us in games? The Montreal game early in the season where we STOLE a 2-1 Shootout win. He made a 45+ save performance against the red wings in a losing effort (not his fault). Then the next night playing the Blackhawks made another 45+ save performance. I was at the game and he looked stellar and calm. Get off the bandwagon that we should consider trading Vokoun.

Old
12-05-2008, 11:34 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
To contradict these points/example, Tim Thomas...the guy was a career AHLer and has done nothing but improve since winning the starting job in Boston. I could see the same type of trend with Anderson as Thomas since there are some obvious similarities between the 2 also.
oh i absolutely agree this is a possibility. the two couldn't be more different stylewise but in terms of career trajectory, yeah. however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
While this team is winning games and scoring goals, we still need help up front. Vokoun could solve that problem. I would like to keep the 1a/1b tandem, but if we can got a top six center/forward for him, its something we should consider. As I said in the GDT post, I would rather keep Bouw and trade Vokoun if it was possible, as I think we take a bigger hit on defense than we would in goal. In the offseason, there are several goaltenders available that we could go after, Conklin, Valiquette, Roloson, etc. I say we stick with whats working right now, but an additional top six forward+ for Vokoun, Bouw and Andy signed long term, a backup and another forward in the offseason would put this team over the top IMO.

And yes, I might be crazy to think that Bouw will resign here in January. But who knows because the way they are playing now, it could happen. He seems to be enjoying himself on the ice, as is the whole team.
it's not the time to be talking about trading vokoun. i highly doubt owners will complain about the team winning, the fannies in the seats, the excitement. we need the security of vokoun right now. we might need *more* than just that security, we might need him back at his all-star level. in fact, we probably will at some point. maybe you look at a deal this offseason when you're confident you can fill that hole with someone who can give you a solid 20+ games.

maybe we do need help up front, maybe we don't. personally, i wouldn't want to have to worry about forcing a high-priced offensive talent into this lineup right now and i can't believe people are still obsessing about it after this team's shown us how they can win games. adding from the outside (or inside, i.e., horton, et al) to this mix is going to have to be done carefully.

i do agree though that this type of turnaround is exactly the type of thing that could bring jay back into the fold. let's hope it continues as i can't imagine having more fun playing for another team right now - he's got all the freedom offensively to do what he wants, the team is winning and playing an exciting style, is full of good character young kids. he's got a cool young coach... what more could he want?

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Bure1096

play-offs.