HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What will happen with Avery?

Old
12-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Winther

vCash: 500
What will happen with Avery?

So what do people think is going to happen with Avery?

Winther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:37 AM
LeafsGetTavares*

Him for blake

LeafsGetTavares* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Sony Eriksson*

He will probably have 3 more threads created today about him.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:39 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
buyout most likely----Hicks nor the Stars want him back and no respected franchise in any league would want him playing w/ their prospects.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:41 AM
iceless
-`ღ-

Probably has the worst trade value in the league right now.

Buyout imminent.

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Mr Bojanglez

marberry him

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Retire and produce a clothing line and become a permanent addition to the fashion industry and likely get mocked while he is there.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:46 AM
WeezyHabFan

i say he gets tossed on waivers.. and a team thats got nothing going for them picks him up. nashville?

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Retire and produce a clothing line and become a permanent addition to the fashion industry and likely get mocked while he is there.
Get into recycled clothing Business and call "Sloppy Seconds" clothing.

Old
12-05-2008, 11:00 AM
GoKingsGo94

Avery needs to do the league a favor and just leave. He is actually a good player and would be an ideal energy 3rd line player who can score too but he goes way over line all the time. He is a discrace to the NHL and maybe play in a bar league where that stuff will be cute.

If he could be a pest similar to an Esa Tikkenan and shut up off the ice then his value of a 3rd line energy player would be pretty good because he can score and skate.

But having had him on the Kings and seeing how he is growing to be and how Dallas and the Kings locker rooms couldn't stand him, I hope he realizes what an idiot he is and looks like on the ice and tries another career. Maybe he can do a show like Ashton Kutcher or something.

GoKingsGo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 11:06 AM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Question:

What exactly happens if a buyout is used?

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDubiToZherdev View Post
Question:

under the cba they pay 2/3rd of his remaining contract over twice as long as the remaining time and it does count vs the cap

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDubiToZherdev View Post
Question:

Ordinary Buyouts (as opposed to the one time Complience Buyouts last offseason) are pretty much the same as they were under the old CBA:

2/3's of the remaining salary (1/3 if player is under 26yo) paid out over 2x the remaining number of years on the contract.

Buyouts do count against the cap, but it is not just a straight forward Buyout Dollars/Buyout Years, due to the way salaries are averaged over multi year deals for cap purposes. If the actual salary paid on the deal prior to the buyout is more than the cap averaged salary for those years (ie the averaging gave them a cap discount), then that discount is counted against the cap over the remaining life of the original contract in addition to the actual buyout dollars over the 2x term. The converse is true - if the amout paid was less than the averaged cap hit, they get a cap credit back against the buyout.

Old
12-05-2008, 11:31 AM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
The Sharks new 4th line?

Avery-Roenick-C. Lemieux

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 11:40 AM
hockeymistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winther View Post
So what do people think is going to happen with Avery?
While no one may care, I'll give the textbook public relations "spin" route his publicist will give him if the person follow traditional PR tactics (based on the apology that was issued that Avery obviously did not write, he is taking advice from a PR person right now - it was a textbook PR apology and hit all the right points).

1. He'll continue to take anger management classes (he needs to have a visible effort that he is trying to fix his problems)
2. He'll apologize to his team in person
3. He'll issue a more detailed apology to fans and peers quickly, admit he did wrong, and make a donation to a women's cause and acknowledge that his comments were far more hurtful than he had intended (this is not my opinion, this is what a PR person would TELL him to say and do)
4. He'll look to do a live broadcast interview in a high profile setting and be extremely humble and apologetic; he'd have to be very, very media trained to pull this off and have to look like a changed man; he may even admit he has some kind of problem, and vow to help others with that same problem.
5. He'll lobby to get the support of a handful of high profile players who will communicate to the media and their peers that he has learned a lesson and changed his behavior
6. Most important: He won't make the same mistake again and will change the parts of his behavior that are bad.

In the PR world, executives and companies can only hope to win back approval by admitting they were wrong, being totally honest and humble, attempting to make amends through actions not words, being transparent and honest in a public venue and then correcting the behavior. This is the advice his publicist is giving him. Whether or not he listens is up to him. Many people in his position will say "why can't I just lay low for awhile and when this blows over go back to being Sean Avery." If his publicist gets on board with this, he should be fired.

I don't really care either way, just wanted to share what I am guessing he's being told, as it sounds like he has a publicist working on this for him.

H.

hockeymistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 11:44 AM
GoKingsGo94

Thinking about this more he is one of those guys that likes drama and needs to cause it to get back in the spotlight when he isn't in it. He reminds me of a Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan or even Brittney Spears who has to do stupid things now to get back in the media spotlight instead of getting back in it in a positive way.

They need this drama to keep the show going for them. Hopefully all the nhl teams will say "Too bad Avery. You are done in the NHL because no one wants you here anymore". Wish Hollywood would do the same to the others I mentioned.

GoKingsGo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:02 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsGetTavares View Post
Him for blake
LOL imagine him doing something nuts, Wilson jumping over the boards to knock Avery out. How many games would a coach do for that? He isn't classified as a player and he wouldn't be going out there to do anything the opposing team would have any beef with.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:04 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymistress View Post
While no one may care, I'll give the textbook public relations "spin" route his publicist will give him if the person follow traditional PR tactics (based on the apology that was issued that Avery obviously did not write, he is taking advice from a PR person right now - it was a textbook PR apology and hit all the right points).

1. He'll continue to take anger management classes (he needs to have a visible effort that he is trying to fix his problems)
2. He'll apologize to his team in person
3. He'll issue a more detailed apology to fans and peers quickly, admit he did wrong, and make a donation to a women's cause and acknowledge that his comments were far more hurtful than he had intended (this is not my opinion, this is what a PR person would TELL him to say and do)
4. He'll look to do a live broadcast interview in a high profile setting and be extremely humble and apologetic; he'd have to be very, very media trained to pull this off and have to look like a changed man; he may even admit he has some kind of problem, and vow to help others with that same problem.
5. He'll lobby to get the support of a handful of high profile players who will communicate to the media and their peers that he has learned a lesson and changed his behavior
6. Most important: He won't make the same mistake again and will change the parts of his behavior that are bad.

In the PR world, executives and companies can only hope to win back approval by admitting they were wrong, being totally honest and humble, attempting to make amends through actions not words, being transparent and honest in a public venue and then correcting the behavior. This is the advice his publicist is giving him. Whether or not he listens is up to him. Many people in his position will say "why can't I just lay low for awhile and when this blows over go back to being Sean Avery." If his publicist gets on board with this, he should be fired.

I don't really care either way, just wanted to share what I am guessing he's being told, as it sounds like he has a publicist working on this for him.

H.
He does have a publicist working for him.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:48 PM
galiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
The Sharks new 4th line?

Avery-Roenick-C. Lemieux

Hey this would be a line made up of my least favourite players ever.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:59 PM
VanIsle
Bruins/Canada 2014

He will go to Detroit for nothing and become a model player posting consecutive 80 point seasons and become Muslim.

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 01:12 PM
RandV
It's a wolf

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymistress View Post

H.
This sounds about right. Despite his ego and his antics, Sean Avery is a talented hockey player, you can't deny that about a guy who can score 20 goals in the NHL. If he wants to keep collecting an NHL salary all he has to do is put his ego in check, for good this time, otherwise no dressing room will want him. And he can still be an agitator on the ice of course.

Or if he wants to keep being Sean Avery he can collect his buyout and go work for Vogue full time or something. Though this will likely cost him his 'star' status and the spotlight, so its likely lose lose either way for him.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Behn Wilson

Publicist, Schmublicist. Avery is an Arsehat and everyone in the league knows that. He cant change what he is, its his personality. I think a buyout or Marbury is coming and no team will touch him with a ten foot pole. I think his NHL days are over.

Behn Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 03:45 PM
hockeyball

Hey remember what 'fixed' Roenick here. The guy went from being a humungous ass to probably the single best locker room presense on the Sharks.

Be humiliated, realize no one wants anything to do with you , accept your mistakes and move on... then be given one more chance without having to even ask.

The biggest difference between Roenick and Avery though is... Roenick has two IQ points to rub together. Avery is a moron, which other players have 'noted' who played with him. He won't learn from his mistakes, he'll try and put on a show, no one will believe him, and he will dwindle away into obscurity.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 03:52 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Hey remember what 'fixed' Roenick here. The guy went from being a humungous ass to probably the single best locker room presense on the Sharks.
He was an ass? Did I miss that?

During his stint in Philly he was loved by media and fans alike. He had a goofy quirk about him that played practical jokes and what not...but the numbers were also there. No one wanted him to go and if there werent a few beloved Flyers veterans ahead of him he would have been captain, because he already was a clubhouse leader.

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
buyout most likely----Hicks nor the Stars want him back and no respected franchise in any league would want him playing w/ their prospects.
Because he said sloppy seconds? For god sake people are friggin sensitive.

I mean out of the long history of screwed up things this guy has said/done this has to be at the very bottom of the list for me yet everyone is acting like he killed someone.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote