HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Forgotten Prospects

Old
12-05-2008, 03:00 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

vCash: 500
Forgotten Prospects

These are the guys no-one ever talks about who could be impact NHLers.

JOE STEJSKAL
games played: 10
goals: 6 *
assists: 3
penalty minutes: 14
height: 6'2
weight: 190
shoots: right
position: defense

* Good defenseman at both ends of the ice. Loves to hit anything that moves. Good first pass and a decent shot. Will likely never be a powerplay QB.. but can play on the 2nd unit.

STEVE QUAILER
games played: 15
goals: 3
assists: 8
penalty minutes: 4
height: 6'3
weight: 185
position: right-wing

* Good offensive forward. Ranked #10 of all Canadiens' prospects by the Hockey News but often looked over by fans. Needs to work on defensive game.

- Feel free to add any prospects who aren't regularly talked about around these parts.
* = Leads team in category.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 12-05-2008 at 02:34 PM.
One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 03:13 AM

I think most posters just assume those guys are good. I don't think any Habs fan that has followed the team since Timmins came on board can say with a straight face: ''what a waste of a pick, this player will never make the NHL''. Timmins has proved time and time again that he knows what he's doing.

The fact that they play college/USHL hockey also is a big factor here. No one can see them live, no one can see them on TV. And it's not like like they're top of the line prospects that get talked in the papers everyday.

But like I said, with Timmins' track record, we don't even need to be talking about them, we know they're good, we know most of them will play with the Bulldogs, and then we'll be able to judge whether or not they'll make the Habs one day.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 03:20 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
I think most posters just assume those guys are good. I don't think any Habs fan that has followed the team since Timmins came on board can say with a straight face: ''what a waste of a pick, this player will never make the NHL''. Timmins has proved time and time again that he knows what he's doing.

The fact that they play college/USHL hockey also is a big factor here. No one can see them live, no one can see them on TV. And it's not like like they're top of the line prospects that get talked in the papers everyday.

But like I said, with Timmins' track record, we don't even need to be talking about them, we know they're good, we know most of them will play with the Bulldogs, and then we'll be able to judge whether or not they'll make the Habs one day.
I definitely don't see them everyday, but with having attending college in Windsor, I see them once in a blue moon. I seen Stejskal twice last year and once online.

I've also seen Qualier once this year.

I can't say I've seen them a lot, but with having attended school so close the border, I've seen a few games here or there.

I really like what I've seen in the minimal minutes.. And I think both players have a good chance at being everyday NHLers, if their progression keeps up on the same pace.

Old
12-05-2008, 04:15 AM
peperebougon*

Stejskal is an amazing athlete. I've read somewhere he is even better at other sports. Seems he is a dominant tennis player and other stuff. Timmins drafted him for this reason. He could develop into a dominant hockey player too...who knows?

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 05:39 AM
LyricalLyricist

It's nice that you mentioned these guys, people often over look them until they're in the media spotlight. I think Stejskal is a guy with a great slap shot, though i'm not sure. I can't recall.

Also, you should change his point totals, because unless there's something besides goals and assists, he should have 9.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 06:33 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
These are the guys no-one ever talks about who could be impact NHLers.

JOE STEJSKAL
games played: 10
goals: 6 *
assists: 3

penalty minutes: 14
height: 6'2
weight: 190
shoots: right

* Good defenseman at both ends of the ice. Loves to hit anything that moves. Good first pass and a decent shot. Will likely never be a powerplay QB.. but can play on the 2nd unit.

STEVE QUAILER
games played: 15
goals: 3
assists: 8
penalty minutes: 4
height: 6'3
weight: 185

* Good offensive forward. Ranked #10 of all Canadiens' prospects by the Hockey News but often looked over by fans. Needs to work on defensive game.

- Feel free to add any prospects who aren't regularly talked about around these parts.
* = Leads team in category.
And here I am living my life thinking 6+3 is 9. Boy oh Boy where have I been.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 08:40 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I ranked Stejskal in my top 20 twice already, I saw a good bit of him last year since I had a season pass to Dartmouth's games. Quailer I only saw once this year, I liked what I saw, should be interesting to see how he does over the next few years, his team is off to a great start, hope they can keep it up as getting experience in the frozen four tournament is a good thing.

I'll add Ryan Russell, who I didn't think too highly of last year in the games I saw him play for the Dogs but this year he looks much, much better, the most improved prospect I've seen this year. He works great with Chipchura on the top PK unit, works hard, good speed and some decent hands.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

lol @ impact players.

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:09 AM
BulldogFever

Finally, somebody sees the same potential in these two prospects as I do! Last year's draft Kristo, Quailer, Missaien, Trunev & Johnson. We might have 2-3 future NHLers picking from deep in the pack. Kristo - made the WJC USA team on his first try, Quailer - has a good chance, Missaien - not having a great year, give him some time, Trunev - dynamic but we'll see if he comes over and Johnson - a darkhorse but comes from a great gene pool. Timmins deserves an A for last year's work at the draft.

BulldogFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogFever View Post
Finally, somebody sees the same potential in these two prospects as I do! Last year's draft Kristo, Quailer, Missaien, Trunev & Johnson. We might have 2-3 future NHLers picking from deep in the pack. Kristo - made the WJC USA team on his first try, Quailer - has a good chance, Missaien - not having a great year, give him some time, Trunev - dynamic but we'll see if he comes over and Johnson - a darkhorse but comes from a great gene pool. Timmins deserves an A for last year's work at the draft.
Not sure about Missiaen not having that great of a year. 40 shots and more every game, I really thought that with the Cann's trade he would be an easy selection for the #1 goalie spot no matter what but Peterborough ended up getting Ryan Daniels a vet goalie who could easily take Missiaen's spot if he was really struggling. And so far, Missiaen gets his share of games. Needless to say Peterborough is far from being a good team, always being outshot and heard that there's a lot of scoring chances.

I personnally don't believe in Johnson but we are talking about a 7th rounder here AND there's still tons of time to go for development. But I would've love to have a guy like Sam Lofquist (I know d-man from Minnesota....) who was available next year who'll have some good recognition this year.

But another good looking year so far.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Bullsmith

Torp and Paquet are longshots I have a soft spot for. He's not such a longshot, but Olivier Fortier doesn't get much attention. He's a real coach's player and I think has a better shot making to the bigs one day than his stats might indicate. Too bad he got hurt. Not sure I'd expect any of these guys to be "impact" players, but they're good enough to enjoy keeping an eye on.

PK Subban, now he's going to be an impact player.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:42 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I find it hard to write off any of Timmins picks, I feel that anyone of them will at least be cogs for our AHL team.

Stejskal might have Souray potential with that shot of his. Quailer might take a longer road to the NHL than Pacioretty, but I think there were many similarities.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:23 PM
kostitsyn1489

I like Quailer alot. He started really slowly at the dev camp this summer, but by then end of it he was pretty good, well the upsides were there. You wont find many players as fast as he is at 6'3. Really good all around offensive player with speed to burn.

As for Stejkal, i didnt see him play this season and he's obviously doing great, but he really didnt stand out to me at the dev camp. He started to show the good shot of his late in the tourny, but i didnt think he would turn out as a scoring machine. Really surprised by him.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Patty Roy

Who can tell me more about Quailer.

Good size and speed are nice to have....but hows his hockey sense? Competitiveness? Is he big but soft or does he play with any kind of a mean streak?

He was a pick that kind of came out of knowhere for me last year but the kid does seem to have the tools.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Scotianhab

I can't wait to see how these guys progress over the next few years. I'm really interested in seeing how Quailer develops.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 02:33 PM
gusfring

Impact players? Really?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I find it hard to write off any of Timmins picks, I feel that anyone of them will at least be cogs for our AHL team.

Stejskal might have Souray potential with that shot of his. Quailer might take a longer road to the NHL than Pacioretty, but I think there were many similarities.

The good thing about those 2 is you can let them play 4 years NCAA before offering them a contract. You can afford to gamble on high risk/high reward type players a bit more. Quailer is putting up good numbers for a freshman so maybe they'll convince him to leave after 3 years.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 02:39 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Impact players? Really?
Max Pac wasn't scoring at too much of a better pace than Qualier (who has great size) at the same age.

Stejskal has always been a mean defenseman who loves to hit anything that moves. With his offensive game rounding out now.. why not?

Old
12-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Stejskal shares a birthday with me, so I'm definitely hoping he makes it big one day.

Another guy I like is Niclas Torp. The injury last year caused everyone to forget about him, but now he's back and on Team Sweden.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Impact players? Really?
You've probably never even seen them play

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 04:07 PM
La Grosse Tendresse
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
I don't think any Habs fan that has followed the team since Timmins came on board can say with a straight face: ''what a waste of a pick, this player will never make the NHL''.
Cameron Cepek?

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse View Post
Cameron Cepek?
Juraj Mikus?

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Damn I hate how Souray is the new Al MacInnis Is Stejskal's slapper really that good?

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 04:14 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse View Post
Cameron Cepek?
He was a solid prospect and he's still a good player. I think he could of been a decent enough bottom-pairing defenseman in the NHL or a very good AHL guy.

Injuries have really taken their toll on him though. He's a physical guy and his body just not like it.

But he keeps his head high and fights through them.

Do we still own his rights? I don't think so.. but I could still see him working his way up from the ECHL to AHL franchise in the next 2-3 years.

Old
12-05-2008, 04:21 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

How is a guy who was drafted 6 months ago forgotten?