HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 12-5-08 Lolalanche @ Stars 6:30mtn

Old
12-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyori View Post
The hell. Someone fill me in, why was Budaj playing?
I was looking at the score and realized we scored less than 4 goals and that never happens with Raycroft [who I thought was supposedly going to start this game..].

So uh, what happen to Ray "my team will score 4 goals" croft?
Ray wasnt available for tonight's game , he was spending some time with his sister Lara

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 11:30 PM
chet1926

vCash: 500
Don't even know what to say, I've said it all before. We got lucky to even get to OT. We are a talented team that plays lazy every night with a few nights in between where we give some effort. I am continually amazed at which players get ice time over other players.

For example in OT Hensick doesn't even sniff the ice when Arnason gets a good couple of shifts with Hejduk. Clark continually is out there in crunch time when I am more comfortable with even Tjarnquist out there over him. Another example is in the SO why is Smyth our 4th shooter and we're down a goal? He is really isn't that good in the breakaway situation. You have Stastny and Hensick who are both in my mind better options.

This whole team is a joke, when they shouldn't be. They have talent but they are straight up lazy, there is no other way to put it. How do you put up the effort we do tonight against the worst team in the conference. I know you are on the road and you played last night but you are playing a team that is not as talented as you, and probably is more injured than us.

Its ridiculous how lazy this team, there is no will to win, no one cares.

Honestly the main problem isn't Arnason or Clark, I don't like them very much but it really comes down to coaching, Granato is terrible. Honestly if I was Hensick I wouldn't try hard because all it gets me is a seat on the bench, so I can watch piece of crap lazy Arnason play 18mins to my 11mis. That sounds fun I'd rather be in Eire getting time to play at least.

All I ask is if I'm going to give up 3hrs of my time to watch the game, make it worth my time. Show up and play hard, if you lose but you play hard, fine I don't care it happens. I just get angry when they act like it doesn't matter if we play hard and we don't show up. I feel like tonight I've wasted the last 3hrs of my life to watch us play like crap.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 11:59 PM
quesosauce

calm down chet, seriously

we got a point when we shouldnt have, that shows something

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Chileiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by quesosauce View Post

I don't understand your avatar. Clark is number 5, not 35.

Chileiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
3.5 as in $3.5 Million dollars

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 12:22 AM
chet1926

Quote:

I'm not going to calm down are you kidding me, watching these lazy players every night is not fair to us fans! Its one thing not to have much talent like say Atlanta, but when you have the talent we do with the results we get on a nightly basis is horrible.

Woohoo we get an undeserved point on a Dallas meltdown with 50 secs left in the game. Lets remember Dallas is the worst team in the conference, and Turco is statistically one of the worst goalies in the league this year. This was the first time all year that Dallas did not give up a first or second period goal. You are right at least we got a point, but in my opinion we did nothing to get it, we just got some dumb luck, so I don't think its says much about our character.

This is not the only game, I'm angered about, its an accumulation of lots of lazy games, why should we as fans have to sit through lazy effort after lazy effort? This is the first time since this team has been in Colorado where I really just don't think they give a crap, they just go out and get a paycheck.

I've supported this team forever, I always will, and I've spent a lot of money on tickets, memorabilia etc., I feel that as a dedicated fan that I deserve 100% effort every night... does that mean win every night of course not I know that is unrealistic, but that does mean be competitive, try hard consistently, not just for the last 5 mins of the third period. All I'm asking for is solid effort night in and night out and we're not getting it. Winning is great, it sucks to lose, but you are going to have years when that happens, this seems to be one of those years for the Avs, but you can still give good effort, which this team consistently doesn't do.

Old
12-06-2008, 12:28 AM
shipwrecked dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puter Bedaj View Post
Avs win this 4-2. Goals from Smyth, Hejduk, Liles, Wolski.

I have my rubber suit drying. It should be good to go by gametime.
This prediction was based on false intelligence that Raycroft was starting. Had I known Budaj was in, I would have said 2-1 Stars.

Time for a wash.

shipwrecked dani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 12:51 AM
quesosauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
yea when ever i see him on the ice, all i see is a price tag with 3.5 million around his neck, and wonder who he tricked into that

Old
12-06-2008, 12:54 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

First off, Frenchy, love the avatar. Great show of creativity bud!

Now, onto my normal choppy game thoughts.

-This team has completely fallen off in terms of emotion. There was plenty of lethargy to go around, and even the Dallas announcers made note of it. It really comes off like this Avs team plays the game as if it were a 9 to 5 job.
-Wolski is starting to string together some great games IMO. He's starting to really connect his physical tools together with his hockey sense. I still think it's just a matter of time before he gets on a point streak. Playing on Arnason's wing the entire night doesn't help.
-Svatos was playing like a rookie again. He's had a tough time finding openings all year long, but tonight he consistently put himself in the right place.
-Hejduk was off, big time. I don't know if something's wrong, or if he's just trying to do too much, but he was mishandling the puck and making decisions that didn't seem to be characteristic of how he plays normally.
-Turco was phenominal. The game was a bit dull, but the Avs eventually started putting some really good and/or funky chances on net, and Turco was able to stop just about all of them. He's been inconsistent this year, for sure, but tonight he was the major difference in the game. No, the majority of the Avs skaters didn't do themselves any favors by the way they played, but they could have easily beaten this Stars team if not for Turco.
-Conversely, Budaj was sharp once again. He kept the Avs in it and put them in a position to basically steal a point. He lost in the shootout, okay, but we knew sooner or later the other shoe was going to have to drop on that one.
-Incomplete observational evidence for Chris Stewart's rookie debut. I don't know what else we could expect from the kid since he was placed on the fourth line with the two struggling Codys. I would have loved to see how he'd do on their wing when they were flying around, and hitting or fighting everyone in sight. I don't think Stewart made any glaring, horrible plays, and that's a good thing I suppose.
-I can't think of anything else off the top of my head aside from the normal observations: Clark is teh sux, so iz Arnason lolz...

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 12:59 AM
quesosauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I'm not going to calm down are you kidding me, watching these lazy players every night is not fair to us fans! Its one thing not to have much talent like say Atlanta, but when you have the talent we do with the results we get on a nightly basis is horrible.

Woohoo we get an undeserved point on a Dallas meltdown with 50 secs left in the game. Lets remember Dallas is the worst team in the conference, and Turco is statistically one of the worst goalies in the league this year. This was the first time all year that Dallas did not give up a first or second period goal. You are right at least we got a point, but in my opinion we did nothing to get it, we just got some dumb luck, so I don't think its says much about our character.

This is not the only game, I'm angered about, its an accumulation of lots of lazy games, why should we as fans have to sit through lazy effort after lazy effort? This is the first time since this team has been in Colorado where I really just don't think they give a crap, they just go out and get a paycheck.

I've supported this team forever, I always will, and I've spent a lot of money on tickets, memorabilia etc., I feel that as a dedicated fan that I deserve 100% effort every night... does that mean win every night of course not I know that is unrealistic, but that does mean be competitive, try hard consistently, not just for the last 5 mins of the third period. All I'm asking for is solid effort night in and night out and we're not getting it. Winning is great, it sucks to lose, but you are going to have years when that happens, this seems to be one of those years for the Avs, but you can still give good effort, which this team consistently doesn't do.
All i'm saying is that right now you are chicken ****ing little. The sky is falling to you, we arent playing 100 effort, smyth should be traded ect these are things you have posted about. Now i may be relatively new around these parts, but i retired from the main board because of this kind of attitude. I do expect 100% effort, and you know what, they didnt show that today, but the fact remains that we had no business even getting a point tonite, and we scraped it out. Sure the team isnt doing so hot right now, but we are missing our captian, best defenseman, and 3 high character guys from the lineup, we played last nite, went into a visiting teams arena on a terrible sheet of ice and played 58 minutes of boring scoreless hockey. YET, we still earned a point and were inches away from winning. I would expect a "f this team we show no effort" response after a blow out 5-1 loss, but not after a shootout loss on the road with a tired team.

I'm aware that you werent really concerned about tonites effort but the effort so far this season, and yea i'm dissapointed too. We are winning in spite of poor coaching, its not even halfway through the season, and our goaltending has been better than most expected. We can make some moves, get some guys healthy to get back some scoring, this team still needs a jolt, but they arent as far off as what you seem to think they are.

Also, after so many seasons of winning it would be ignorant for us as fans to expect our team to be stellar every year. This is a team struggling to find an identity and is one or two players away from being either a top 4 team or a bottom 4 team in this league. Detroit is the only team in the league that had consistently been a great club, every team goes up and down, and our farm system was gutted for too long to get us to long cup runs in the past, that the future was mortgaged. That future is upon us, and its evident that we arent a top 4 team, but we have made moves and done things to keep us in the top 8m which is more than could be said for a lot of clubs in the NHL. The sakics, forsbergs and footes are passing the torch to the stastnys, wolskis, and liles'. We arent quite there yet, but the effort will come, the team will succeed eventually, we must be patient, it wont and cant be too long before we get back to where we belong

/end rant

Last edited by quesosauce: 12-06-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Old
12-06-2008, 01:47 AM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Cruised around downtown Dallas for a bit after the game and just got home. Here's my meaningless thoughts.

-We were lucky to get a point, but it's a point I'll take.
-This team looks like it feels sorry for itself, and sometimes it looks like the players hope the other team feels sorry for them and takes it easier.
-Still have no idea what Arnason does on this team. I guess we were right about the affect of his little three game point streak (or was it four?), he's obviously being rewarded for something.
-Stastny was the best player on the ice. The kid was everywhere, it's a shame he only notched one point.
-I think our lines need a bit of a shakeup. I wouldn't mind seeing Svatos with Stastny and Smyth, and Hejduk with Wolski and Hensick.
-Stewart looked awkward on the ice, but it's something I expected being his first game. His skating didn't seem fluid, but after one game I'm willing to pass it off to jitters.

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 01:53 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

We're all broken records at this point. We're an inconsistent team with plenty of tools, but not enough cohesiveness to put it all together.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 02:38 AM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
All i'm saying is that right now you are chicken ****ing little. The sky is falling to you,
The Avs only have 4 teams behind them in the WC, but three have games in hand, and will probably be ahead of the Avs when they play those games. So, the Avs are only ahead of Dallas, who they just lost to. Chicken little? The guy's got valid points.

Over the past 10 games, we've managed points against LA, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, and Dallas - 4 horrible teams this year (just one good team - Minn). Why not talk about the sky falling?

And both Sakic and Foote looked only so-so this year before they were injured, Tucker stunk most of time, and Willsie was in Erie. Sure, the team would be better off with them in there, but the Avs weren't lighting things up when they were.

It might just be time to admit that some of the players simply aren't as talented as some of us thought, this isn't a hard working team, and the coach is as clueless as many of us suspected. <shrug>

But, giving this guy some grief because he doesn't see many positives doesn't make much sense to me. He should be concerned. The Avs are simply a lousy looking hockey team most of the time.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 02:40 AM
shipwrecked dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
We're all broken records at this point. We're an inconsistent team with plenty of tools, but not enough cohesiveness to put it all together.
You got that right.

shipwrecked dani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 03:18 AM
chet1926

Quote:
All i'm saying is that right now you are chicken ****ing little. The sky is falling to you, we arent playing 100 effort, smyth should be traded ect these are things you have posted about. Now i may be relatively new around these parts, but i retired from the main board because of this kind of attitude. I do expect 100% effort, and you know what, they didnt show that today, but the fact remains that we had no business even getting a point tonite, and we scraped it out. Sure the team isnt doing so hot right now, but we are missing our captian, best defenseman, and 3 high character guys from the lineup, we played last nite, went into a visiting teams arena on a terrible sheet of ice and played 58 minutes of boring scoreless hockey. YET, we still earned a point and were inches away from winning. I would expect a "f this team we show no effort" response after a blow out 5-1 loss, but not after a shootout loss on the road with a tired team.

I'm aware that you werent really concerned about tonites effort but the effort so far this season, and yea i'm dissapointed too. We are winning in spite of poor coaching, its not even halfway through the season, and our goaltending has been better than most expected. We can make some moves, get some guys healthy to get back some scoring, this team still needs a jolt, but they arent as far off as what you seem to think they are.

Also, after so many seasons of winning it would be ignorant for us as fans to expect our team to be stellar every year. This is a team struggling to find an identity and is one or two players away from being either a top 4 team or a bottom 4 team in this league. Detroit is the only team in the league that had consistently been a great club, every team goes up and down, and our farm system was gutted for too long to get us to long cup runs in the past, that the future was mortgaged. That future is upon us, and its evident that we arent a top 4 team, but we have made moves and done things to keep us in the top 8m which is more than could be said for a lot of clubs in the NHL. The sakics, forsbergs and footes are passing the torch to the stastnys, wolskis, and liles'. We arent quite there yet, but the effort will come, the team will succeed eventually, we must be patient, it wont and cant be too long before we get back to where we belong

/end rant
The sky isn't falling to me, the only thing that bugs me is the lack of effort we give. Just because we are transitioning from our old players to our new ones doesn't give us an excuse to not play hard every night.

My point is it doesn't matter to me if we win or lose or if we have a winning season or a losing one, I still love the Avs... all I care about is if we play hard. I'm realistic and I know you can't always have a Stanley Cup contender. Just play hard that is it and we as fans don't even get that this year. Its bad when the other teams announcers notice that we aren't giving it 100%, I believe they said something to the extent that we treat it like a bad job and I agree.

The fact is is I've started to watch some of the other bad teams like NYI, Atlanta, etc. and they suck, but for the most part from I've seen they give a solid effort almost every night. Not every night but most, bad games happen. If they can do it we can.

For the matter I only said trade Smyth if we could get something very valuable in return. He is not the problem, I just think is price tag is too high.

I fully agree with you that we are struggling to find an identity. I really think it would be easier to find an identity if we gave a better effort night in and night out. Its surprising what hard work does for a team. It would make a lot of things easier. There is time left in the season and I'm hoping we figure out this work ethic thing, because I think we have some good tools, and with solid effort I believe this team is a playoff team. With lackluster effort we are in the running for Hedman.

All I want is effort that is it if you play hard and lose fine, I can live with that, I can't live with lackluster effort and then rolling over

Old
12-06-2008, 02:28 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 1125
I like the Dallas announcers...when talking about Budaj's rebound control one of them actually said he was prone to giving "big, juicy, buxom rebounds from those huge pillows of his."

At least Avery wasn't around to comment on Budaj allowing sloppy....er...never mind.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 02:55 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
The sky isn't falling to me, the only thing that bugs me is the lack of effort we give. Just because we are transitioning from our old players to our new ones doesn't give us an excuse to not play hard every night.
I have a problem with that, but I also have a problem with the team not playing good hockey. They don't have to compete for the cup, but they should play solid fundamental hockey - and give solid effort - which they don't.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I like the Dallas announcers...when talking about Budaj's rebound control one of them actually said he was prone to giving "big, juicy, buxom rebounds from those huge pillows of his."

At least Avery wasn't around to comment on Budaj allowing sloppy....er...never mind.
I'm more surprised that considering Budaj's rebound control and our general inability to clear the puck from our own zone that he doesn't have a 3.5 GAA.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 06:05 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
I'm more surprised that considering Budaj's rebound control and our general inability to clear the puck from our own zone that he doesn't have a 3.5 GAA.
In all honesty, I only posted that because:

1. It's true..the guy actually said that...even though Avery has been in a hot spot for talking about juicy things lately.
2. Budaj actually played a very good game last night. One goal against a team that is trying to prove something.

As for the outcome of the game...as much as I hate to say it, I'd prefer to see a "line change" or three. Stagnant comes to mind. The AVs had no jump outside of Svatos. They played decent defensively but showed absolutely no will to win at even strength or with the man-advantage. They looked more dangerous at even strength than they did with an advantage. They also didn't really look that dangerous even strength.

Last edited by expatriated_texan: 12-06-2008 at 06:15 PM.
expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 07:53 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
They looked more dangerous at even strength than they did with an advantage.
Shocking!

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Grackle Party
Varls Barkley 2k12

I went to this game, heres some random thoughts...

Lots of Avs fans in Dallas, also the crowd was kinda lame, not really into it.

best players imo, Smyth, Stazz and Wolski.

If only wolski and Jones could learn how to finish.

My girlfriend who doesnt follow hockey kept asking why #39 was out on the ice so much and why is he always turning the puck over.

Stewert was one of the few people i noticed actually finishing is checks.

The game was not physical at all.

Grackle Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1337 View Post
I went to this game, heres some random thoughts...

Lots of Avs fans in Dallas, also the crowd was kinda lame, not really into it.

best players imo, Smyth, Stazz and Wolski.

If only wolski and Jones could learn how to finish.

My girlfriend who doesnt follow hockey kept asking why #39 was out on the ice so much and why is he always turning the puck over.
Stewert was one of the few people i noticed actually finishing is checks.

The game was not physical at all.
Have faith my friend , your chick knows her stuff

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 03:36 PM
chiavsfan

The only thing that really bothered me about this game was the shot selection in the SO. Wolski makes Turco look silly by making a couple of moves.

Then two of our best "move makers" in Svatos and Hejduk go for weak looking "perfect" shots. Turco is a "shot stopper" so those were pretty easy for him.

Smyth's effort was just weak. But with 3 chances in a row to win, it should never have made it to Smyth

chiavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
First off, Frenchy, love the avatar. Great show of creativity bud!

Now, onto my normal choppy game thoughts.

-This team has completely fallen off in terms of emotion. There was plenty of lethargy to go around, and even the Dallas announcers made note of it. It really comes off like this Avs team plays the game as if it were a 9 to 5 job.
-Wolski is starting to string together some great games IMO. He's starting to really connect his physical tools together with his hockey sense. I still think it's just a matter of time before he gets on a point streak. Playing on Arnason's wing the entire night doesn't help.
-Svatos was playing like a rookie again. He's had a tough time finding openings all year long, but tonight he consistently put himself in the right place.
-Hejduk was off, big time. I don't know if something's wrong, or if he's just trying to do too much, but he was mishandling the puck and making decisions that didn't seem to be characteristic of how he plays normally.
-Turco was phenominal. The game was a bit dull, but the Avs eventually started putting some really good and/or funky chances on net, and Turco was able to stop just about all of them. He's been inconsistent this year, for sure, but tonight he was the major difference in the game. No, the majority of the Avs skaters didn't do themselves any favors by the way they played, but they could have easily beaten this Stars team if not for Turco.
-Conversely, Budaj was sharp once again. He kept the Avs in it and put them in a position to basically steal a point. He lost in the shootout, okay, but we knew sooner or later the other shoe was going to have to drop on that one.
-Incomplete observational evidence for Chris Stewart's rookie debut. I don't know what else we could expect from the kid since he was placed on the fourth line with the two struggling Codys. I would have loved to see how he'd do on their wing when they were flying around, and hitting or fighting everyone in sight. I don't think Stewart made any glaring, horrible plays, and that's a good thing I suppose.
-I can't think of anything else off the top of my head aside from the normal observations: Clark is teh sux, so iz Arnason lolz...
Thanks for the compliment !

(If anyone wants a customized avatar, send me a PM...I'll see what I can do)

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote