HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Higgins victim of his own success?

Old
12-06-2008, 02:04 PM
kostitsyn1489

vCash: 500
Higgins victim of his own success?

Chris Higgins wasn't known as an offensive player when he got drafted. He's got drafted for his speed, for his defensive game, for his leadership and his work ethic. Hoping that it'll lead to some goals as well, but it's not his primairy roll. He's got here played great defensively as a rookie. Couldn't seem to score, but he was still very effective. Came back after the OG and played with a red hot Saku Koivu that just won the Silver medal and then he started to score like mad. He raised expectation for the enxt season, could he be the 40 goals scorer we are looking for so long? Why not?

He started the next season scoring at the same pace he finished the previous season, maybe even better. His wrist shot is sick, does he have it all to be captain someday? He scores on the PP Even Strenght, hell even on the PK. Then he goes down with an injury come back he's clearly slowed down and finish the season with average offensive production. The following year he gets his first 50 points season, get nearly 30 goals. He's not producing at the pace he was at in his hot streak, but he's producing more then everybody expected when he first joined the team. He comes back this year, miss the beggining of the season is put with Koivu again he scores quite a bit. Then play on different line every game and is now considered as a good trade bait. He can't score so even if he's still really good defensively he's useless and is expendable.

I liked Chris Higgins when he couldnt score because i liked his other skills, those skills are still there so why hating him now?

He was injured for the first several games and well he might not even be at 100% now, he might not be at the same level other players are shape wise and he's now playing with a guy that nobody could do anything with this season, how can you blame him for not scoring?

Still the guy is on pace for 20 goals, would be his worst season offensively, but it wouldnt be the first time a guy struggle in the first 20 games of a season? I'm not sure he played at 100% since last season. Does he try too much offensively? I think so. He should play his game and himself not thinking he's a great offensive player cause he's got a good streak.

I'm sure it'll be the same as it happened to alot of player. He comes late in the NHL, people have doubts on him, then he's doing good fans think he's bigger then he really is then struggle"IN ONE ASPECT OF HIS GAME" so we should trade him before he has no value to finally settle down as a pretty good player that maybe didnt match the high expectation, but that is still one really good player, better then expectation on draft day, but not as much as after his first hot streak.

There's a difference between being hard on players and being foolish. It's not because he played higher then expectation for 35 games that he'll keep it up for 1000. ItK's not because he's under the expectation for 20 games that he'll struggle for the remaining of his career.

Also 2 way players like Higgins peak later then skilled offensive minded guys.

I just hope the same won't happen to a guy like Pacioretty cause I'm pretty sure both will have similar career and similar ups and downs.

Last edited by kostitsyn1489: 12-06-2008 at 02:26 PM.
kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 02:07 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

higgins has a wrist shot?

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

I think you're adding one extra season in your description.

Higgins scored 23 goals in his rookie season.

His second year is the year he was scoring like mad and then got injured.

Last year he posted career highs in every category.

This year, he's been injured and fluttered around multiple lines. He's been struggling offensively but his overall game has been great.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Next Best Thing*

I completely agree.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
Chris Higgins wasn't known as an offensive player when he got drafted. He's got drafted for his speed, for his defensive game, for his leadership and his work ethic. Hoping that it'll lead to some goals as well, but it's not his primairy roll. He's got here played great defensively as a rookie. Couldn't seem to score, but he was still very effective. Came back after the OG and played with a red hot Saku Koivu that just won the Silver medal and then he started to score like mad. He raised expectation for the enxt season, could he be the 40 goals scorer we are looking for so long? Why not?

He started the next season scoring at the same pace he finished the previous season, maybe even better. His wrist shot is sick, does he have it all to be captain someday? He scores on the PP Even Strenght, hell even on the PK. Then he goes down with an injury come back he's clearly slowed down and finish the season with average offensive production. He comes back this year, miss the beggining of the season is put with Koivu again he scores quite a bit. Then play on different line every game and is now considered as a good trade bait. He can't score so even if he's still really good defensively he's useless and is expendable.

I liked Chris Higgins when he couldnt score because i liked his other skills, those skills are still there so why hating him now?

He was injured for the first several games and well he might not even be at 100% now, he might not be at the same level other players are shape wise and he's now playing with a guy that nobody could do anything with this season, how can you blame him for not scoring?

Still the guy is on pace for 20 goals, would be his worst season offensively, but it wouldnt be the first time a guy struggle in the first 20 games of a season? I'm not sure he played at 100% since last season. Does he try too much offensively? I think so. He should play his game and himself not thinking he's a great offensive player cause he's got a good streak.

I'm sure it'll be the same as it happened to alot of player. He comes late in the NHL, people have doubts on him, then he's doing good fans think he's bigger then he really is then struggle"IN ONE ASPECT OF HIS GAME" so we should trade him before he has no value to finally settle down as a pretty good player that maybe didnt match the high expectation, but that is still one really good player, better then expectation on draft day, but not as much as after his first hot streak.

There's a difference between being hard on players and being foolish. It's not because he played higher then expectation for 35 games that he'll keep it up for 1000. ItK's not because he's under the expectation for 20 games that he'll struggle for the remaining of his career.

Also 2 way players like Higgins peak later then skilled offensive minded guys.

I just hope the same won't happen to a guy like Pacioretty cause I'm pretty sure both will have similar career and similar ups and downs.

Pacioretty hits more in one game than Higgins will ever do in his entire career !!

Mr. "Stone Hands" Higgins is a perimeter floater, while Pacioretty crash the net on a consistent basis.

Pacioretty >>> Higgins !! And it's not even close !!

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 02:17 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I think you're adding one extra season in your description.

Higgins scored 23 goals in his rookie season.

His second year is the year he was scoring like mad and then got injured.

Last year he posted career highs in every category.

This year, he's been injured and fluttered around multiple lines. He's been struggling offensively but his overall game has been great.
Yeah obviously. It's totally impossible for me to think about the whole thing I just always forget things and I'm not sure there's anything i can do about it. Editing time.

Old
12-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Pacioretty hits more in one game than Higgins will ever do in his entire career !!

Mr. "Stone Hands" Higgins is a perimeter floater, while Pacioretty crash the net on a consistent basis.

You do realize that Higgins is averaging almost 2 hits per game?

PS. How's the view from the pressbox?

Old
12-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
Yeah obviously. It's totally impossible for me to think about the whole thing I just always forget things and I'm not sure there's anything i can do about it. Editing time.
Wasn't trying to be a jerk .. Just trying to help.

Old
12-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Erik Estrada

Higgins is unfortunately not a beautifull player to watch. He scores by multiplying scoring chances and some end up going in. He scores in bunch or doesn't score at all. I don't think his game has changed that much. We'll need to wait for him to get hot again.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 02:23 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

well said.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 02:27 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:

Shut up you're dumb as a post.

Old
12-06-2008, 02:27 PM
BigTimer*

Until he admits to himself that he isn't a 40 goal player and adds some sandpaper to his game, he's a dime a dozen player.

Given his shortcomings, he needs to hit everything that moves and show some emotion out there. He seems to think that he's too good to get his hands dirty. I've got news for you Chris, you're not.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 02:28 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Wasn't trying to be a jerk .. Just trying to help.
Yeah no problem, i was more pissed at myself then anything heh

Old
12-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:

Your teach smiley is ridiculous.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 02:35 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
You do realize that Higgins is averaging almost 2 hits per game?

PS. How's the view from the pressbox?

BAM! THAT JUST HAPPENED. WUT WUT!

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Magic33

I am usually happy when Higgins has a good, hard-working game. I expect him to get the puck deep, forecheck hard, cycle it with his linemates and create a scoring chance. In our own end i expect him to be responsible and shut down other teams top lines. Goals are an added bonus.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 02:50 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Until he admits to himself that he isn't a 40 goal player and adds some sandpaper to his game, he's a dime a dozen player.

Given his shortcomings, he needs to hit everything that moves and show some emotion out there. He seems to think that he's too good to get his hands dirty. I've got news for you Chris, you're not.
WEll I think fans think he's more of a 40 goals scorer then he does himself. I'm not a big fan of his over stickhandling and losing the puck all the time lately. Could be a lack of confidence he tries to do too much. That said i dont think he's and will ever be a gritty guy. I think it'll improve, but he wont hit everything in sight. You dont need to be to be effective on a shutdown line. Still he hits more then a guy like Lapierre thus far and he's not far behind TKO. He's also 2nd for blocked shot among forward. He's got the best ratio for giveaways/takeaways in the whole team.

I found D'Agostini effective along the board and in the cycling game so far and he has 2 hits in 3 games. Higgins didnt hit much when he was ona good streak still he was the most effective player on the forecheck on this team. Hits doesnt mean effectiveness along the board. I'd rather see him gathering the puck on the forecheck then hitting people and still not getting the puck.

Old
12-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:

Complete garbage, Pacioretty hasnt even played in the NHL and is struggling at the AHL level right now. Get rid of your bias its patehtic.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Danadiens

vCash: 1450
Quote:

Erika and the Damned shoud date. They have a lot in common.

Danadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:37 PM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

Higgins has never scored 30 goals in a season in his whole career, people should expect no more than that from him.

HabsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:43 PM
CanadienErrant*

The thread title is somewhat weird.

Higgins is a 1st round draft pick, and as such, is expected to be among our best players. He's got an "A" on his jersey on top of that, meaning that he got a leadership role to play.

Right now, he is underachieving. For me, he is contibuting less than Lats and S.Kost and is kept in the line up because he is supposed to be a veteran, core player.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:46 PM
bhuya71

Quote:

how someone like you can be more ******** than this is actually SO frustrating . god bless you my child you honestly need it. sure its your opinion...here's mine i am sick of reading your opinions. oh well the sad truth is you won't stop and i guess i am being an ass . anyways i like skost on that note but akost is obviously way better

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:51 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post

Higgins is a 1st round draft pick, and as such, is expected to be among our best players. He's got an "A" on his jersey on top of that, meaning that he got a leadership role to play.

Right now, he is underachieving. For me, he is contibuting less than Lats and S.Kost and is kept in the line up because he is supposed to be a veteran, core player.
QFT.

This post best describes Higgins' current position.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post

Well described, that is precisely how I feel about Higgins. You can argue that it's because of unrealistic expectations, but I agree that he's underachieving.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 05:41 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
Higgins has never scored 30 goals in a season in his whole career, people should expect no more than that from him.
You make it sound like Higgins has had a long career; this is the beginning of his fourth season.

Perhaps that outburst at the beginning of his second season has raised expectations - IMO he was easily our best forward until he went down with that ankle injury. If he didn't get injured and continued his pace, he would have been a 40 goal scorer.

Anyways, people on these boards always have a fetish for the "next best thing", so if a player has been in the league for more than two years, you can bet a group of posters will forget about the promise he once had and want them traded in order to make room for a younger, inexperienced player. Just wait 'till next year...people will call for S.Kost to be traded to make room for someone from Hamilton no doubt.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote